PDA

View Full Version : God of War

Lurker
11-04-2005, 16:00:19
Anyone else have this game? Just got it and it seems most excellent.

MDA
11-04-2005, 16:04:00
Write a review!

Venom
11-04-2005, 16:29:34
That would be funny. At least in a "Damn. Lurker sucks." kind of way.

Lurker
11-04-2005, 16:36:35
The problem with me writing a review is I only play about 3 or 4 games a year, so I can't make comparisons to a lot of games. Plus I suck.

Beta1
11-04-2005, 16:42:05
do it anyway

MDA
11-04-2005, 17:39:31
Christ, I wrote one. You should have no problems.

Venom
11-04-2005, 17:51:42
You shouldn't have to compare it to any other games. Just tell people why you like it. However, "It smells better than me." can't be one of those reasons.

Beta1
11-04-2005, 18:33:04
I dont see why not.

Venom
11-04-2005, 19:39:29
While the game almost certainly smells better than Lurker, that can't be a judgement on the quality of the game.

Shining1
12-04-2005, 01:57:19
It's a good start, tho. MOO3, for instance, was considerably more stinky...

Lurker
12-04-2005, 16:01:05
The Lurker rating system will consist of roses. Zero roses means the game is as bad as I smell. Five roses means the game is good enough that you probably wouldn't smell me if I were in the room while you were playing it.

Venom
12-04-2005, 16:23:42
See! That's creative. That's good.

Lurker
12-04-2005, 19:48:36
I'm worn out from the creative process. I'll take a week or two off and then try to come up with something else.

Beta1
12-04-2005, 20:53:47
one sentence done, another thousand words to go.

Darkstar
15-04-2005, 08:20:26
My girlfriend's son has it. He swears it's the best game ever made, since Halo 2 anyways. He's offered to loan it to me, after he beats it, and that is generally a good sign. He doesn't offer many games, just the ones he thinks are good.

I just finished up with Musashi: Samuri Legend, and will be game shopping tomorrow. Maybe I'll pick it up. I had picked it up last week in the store, but spotted Musashi on the shelves, and decided to get Musashi instead.

Darkstar
18-04-2005, 09:32:57
Ok... this game is pissing me off to no end.

Most of the game has been lots of fighting fun. The main character himself is one seriously mean bastard. He's the sort to kill a crying child just to get some quiet so he can try to sleep. You weak stomached types, you've been warned.

The fighting itself has been fun. Well, most of it. A few parts gave me more trouble then they were meant to, because I did things entirely different (wrong, would be how the level designers would put it). But that's what happens in RPG-flavored fighting game.

However, this fine wickedly twisted black hole of evil fighting game is marred with too many damn special move puzzles! I probably will never make it past the underwater racing barriers. I know precisely what I need to do, but I just don't have the patience to keep trying for the next year at it. Let this be a warning: if you don't still have the fantastic reflexes, a bit of good luck, and the ability to not toss your PS2 out into the trash when you've been ran over for the 120th time by a barrier just shy of the final safe hole because the game decided that you were swimming slightly into the screen, rather then straight on, then this game isn't for you. Not unless you know someone with a kid that can get them through or do it for them. I'm going to check to see if my girlfriend's son can get me through. Seriously. That is my only hope at this time in advancing through the game.

I really hate this sort of thing in a game that isn't based on timed special move puzzles! Prince of Persia #1, that's a timed special move puzzle game! Such things are appropriate for it. But GoW? Just another game ruined...

Darkstar
20-04-2005, 05:55:16
Ah. GoW turns into a real piece of shit for the second half of the game. And when I say that, it really insults your poo.

The second half of the game is mostly jump puzzles and timed special move puzzles. Lots of "tight rope walking" included, with lots of camera angle changes which almost always cause falls to your death. Gets *very* boring, very quickly. And very, very repetitive.

To make it worse, the game has locked up 4 times. It's the only thing that has ever done that in my PS2.

Oh well. If you are going to play it, I'd suggest getting it from a used game store. It certainly isn't worth retail pricing. Honestly, the stores should be paying you to take it away.

Venom
20-04-2005, 13:34:10
Someone's mad his aging brain can't learn patterns as quick as it used to.

fp
20-04-2005, 13:54:40
I hate games I'm shit at too.

Lurker
20-04-2005, 16:24:45
I haven't had any problems yet. The "puzzles" vary in difficulty, but all have been solvable so far without cheating. Plus there's naked boobs.

Game hasn't locked up at all on me and I'm guessing I'm about at the halfway point now.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
20-04-2005, 16:35:26
Darkstar's hardware has always been suspect.

MDA
20-04-2005, 16:45:33
Just checked... Alpha Centauri was released in Feb 1999.

I think I've been posting with some of you nerds for nearly seven years.

King_Ghidra
20-04-2005, 16:54:06
Who needs lurker, just check amazon!

I had the pleasure of importing this game from the US.

What can I say? At Gamerankings(collection of all notable reviews) it's in the top 10 games of all time. And that is rightfully so! This is for me, the best action-adventure game that has ever been created. It's in the same genre as Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden though with the element of adventuring being a large part of it(and much more polish).

Everything about this game is top quality. Every single thing.
The graphics are the absolute best seen on the PS2, the music is awe-inspiring, the gameplay brilliant beyond words, the plot and setting awe inspiring. To top it of, this game has the best extras and unlockables since...ever. I have played the game twice over now, once on normal and once in Spartan(hard).

You play the haunted Spartan warrior Kratos, a servant of the gods. A utterly brutal anti-hero which you will come to sympatiche during the course of the game. It's an intruiging tale indeed.

The gameplay revolves around puzzle-solving, adventuring, but most of all, fighting of alot of bad-guys and monsters which could go toe to toe with anything seen in the Lord of the rings. Bosses that fill more than the screen, twice as tall as mountains. Cyclops who shakes the earth. Minotaurs which makes your 5.1 system fall apart.
Nothing beats the excitement of seeing a huge monster come crushing through a horde of bad guys just to get to you first. All that with a utter class act of orcesteral music pumping and blood flowing everywere.

Possibly the most cinematic game yet released and I give my absolute highest praise. If I could get one PS2 game this would be it.

No mention of the boobies though

Lurker
20-04-2005, 17:16:57
Which proves I'm a better guide.

Venom
20-04-2005, 19:23:26
Originally posted by MDA
Just checked... Alpha Centauri was released in Feb 1999.

I think I've been posting with some of you nerds for nearly seven years.

He said apropos of seemingly nothing.

MDA
20-04-2005, 22:38:23
I left out the relevant comment. Darkstar's hardware has been suspect for at least that long.

That's not an apology, just an explanation. If I wanted to be forced to post on topic, there are better places for that. :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
20-04-2005, 23:11:40
Maybe there's something wrong with his electricity supply. Or he has a habit of rubbing balloons on his wool sweaters.

Venom
20-04-2005, 23:25:41
Originally posted by MDA
I left out the relevant comment. Darkstar's hardware has been suspect for at least that long.

That's not an apology, just an explanation. If I wanted to be forced to post on topic, there are better places for that. :)

Oh it's not that. It just seemed like you were replying in the wrong place.

MDA
21-04-2005, 11:53:45
It made perfect sense to me. :lol:

Lurker
21-04-2005, 18:25:23
Bah, I finally got stuck on something I couldn't figure out and had to check the on-line hints. And it turned out to be sooooo easy, albeit no so obvious.

This game is good. I don't know what DS's problem is with the underwater stuff. I'm certainly no controller guru and I didn't have too much of a problem. It takes a few tries, but once you figure out what to do it's fairly easy.

Darkstar
22-04-2005, 05:34:32
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
Who needs lurker, just check amazon!

No mention of the boobies though

That's about all that the New York Times featured. Well, that and your character would fuck his own 3 year old daughter to death if he got a hard on and she was nearby.

There are only breast in the first part of the game. There's a mini-game that lets you practice "special killing moves" by letting you screw 2 whores your character picked up to pass the time while sailing.

After that, there's only 1 more scene with breasts in it. That's when you are talking to the Oracle of Athens. She's wearing a french cut bikini bottom, and a bit of gauze. That's it.

After that, it's fighting monsters, that even on HARD, cannot hurt you as soon as you learn "block". Never, ever, ever will you ever get hurt if you just choose "block". Then in a pause of your 25 opponents attacking you, you hit a couple of light light BIG attack, and go back to blocking. Rinse and repeat until the end game. Not much fun after several hundred fights.

And more fun... as the monsters upgrade, they loose their ability to try to harm you from a distance. Which you could block all of, except for the first couple of minotaurs shock wave attacks.

That's probably why they made the second half of the game almost all puzzles. Most of which, your main challenge is to not walk off to your death as the camera swings around.

Honestly, the first half of the game is pretty cool. But the last half is super boring, and really, really sucks.

Of course, it is pretty funny seeing your fire blooded super butch hero twirl around constantly, ballerina style, with his ultimate weapons (which go from blood red to super ballerina PINK), and perform pretty little dance spins with his pink sparklers drawing bright pink circles on the screen, hey, go for it. It makes my girlfriend go "Ew! Ah! How pretty! What dance game is that?" Until she sees him twirl around, and it zooms in to show him cutting the head off a woman and spitting down her neck. (The fun of pillaging Athens.)

If you want boobage, play a Japanese import. If you want to screw the boobage, play a mature rated Japanese import. There are plenty of better fighting games where you see a lot more boobage. Or even screw harems full of gals, in between killing all the guards and lords.

Darkstar
22-04-2005, 05:36:03
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Darkstar's hardware has always been suspect.

:lol:! Only Sony's GoW has ever done that on my PS2.

Darkstar
22-04-2005, 06:53:28
Lurker, the water barrier stuff would have been better off as a simple side scroller. Then it would be a regular special move puzzle. That would fit the basic cheesiness of that half of the game so well.

Wait until you get to fighting Aries. That's a bitch, but only because you have to stop hitting the "o" and start hitting other buttons to advance the game. if you don't stop hitting the o (and you have to hit it LOTS to advance to the next stage of the killing mini-game), he regenerates a bit and you got to knock it down to zero again. Another great level design decision. But the game is full of that kind of crap for the last half.

The fights just get boring, once the enemy change to those that can never, ever hurt you. Although the satyrs are WAY cool. They are definately the best animated monster in the game.

The game is just pissy. Your character is repeatily shown using his special chained blade weapons to climb in a few cut scenes, but he won't use them in the damn super temple to climb, because that would just be silly. Despite the fact that while in the super temple, you are going to use them climb a lot, especially for doing super killer moves to giant opponents.

Venom, it's not that I cannot learn new patterns. The puzzles in GoW are incredibly easy. It's just a matter of getting worn hands and hurt wrists to execute the special moves, flawlessly, every time, on command. In fighting games, if you don't manage to get that button combo perfect, it doesn't normally screw up your entire fight. It just means that instead of doing the double fire helicopter spin kick, you did a Dodge-Super Hit-Block-Light Long High-Light Long Low-Super Magic-Light Short Low. But with timed special move puzzles, it means a flub for any reason, and I'm screwed, dead, and have to go back to the last save/checkpoint. That gets boring pretty darn quickly.

And it doesn't sound like Lurker has made it to the worst of the timed special move puzzles where aside from you only have 0.5 seconds to spare to complete the puzzle, to make the puzzle actually challenging, the level designer hid an extended obstacle so that it matches the color of the floor. That obstacle stops you from advancing, and then you die (times up!). That stoppage happens at a complete scene that includes the camera moving, so its more difficult to catch that you aren't going where you intended. Instead, you will normally just see a map change, with a swinging camera spinning the screen about, and then you are dead. Whoopsie.

I don't like that kind of shitty level design. There's a couple of geniunely clever puzzles in the game. But they are rare. When the level designers needed to make something difficult, they didn't user their brains, they just repeated their previous puzzles.

There's an incredible amount of inconsistancy in the game. For instance, you can fall for hundreds of feet without harm... unless that would be convinent, at which point, a fall of 20 feet kills you. That sort of pissy level design really takes away from the game. As does the same puzzles, over and over. Oh, and being invulnerable to all harm. And the arena maps!

There's lots of arena maps. And on most of them, the level designers tried to design them as puzzles, in the second half of the game. You are supposed to find the artificially "safe" zone, and use your SUPER ATTACK COMBO MOVES to kill the monsters. Half the time, that means they wanted you to block and dodge until you hid in the corner, then super geyser spurt attack! That's just boring. And pure cheese.

The worst of the designed arena fights was on a cave map where the safe zone is a some log graphics resting on the floor of the cave, but they are not a raised surface. Stand there, and the monsters are just out of their range and do not approach you (they act as if the area you are on is raised). You will just happend to be at perfect range for the super spurt attack.

And to complete the super cheese of the second half, there's about 2 hours of listening to the actual Star Trek "Spock in heat" battle music (the Vulcan death match music). I'm serious, it's the actual instrumental. That just gets obnoxious!

GoW gets so very, very cheesy for the later half of the game. That's a real let down for something that started so fun. And for me, it's made worse by all the damned timed special move puzzles. A little better leeway on the "you have X seconds to use special moves XYZ to navigate from this side of the map to the other or you die". If you are going to do timed special move puzzle, at least put the timer on a sliding scale to fit the difficulty level. Lets young uns and old uns enjoy the game as well. ;)

Honestly, if the game was as good in the last half as the first half, instead of mostly super cheese, I could suffer through the timed, special move puzzles. They'd still piss me off, cause I'd only be able to play through them with patience and well rested wrists and hands, but that's my personal problem.

As it stands, super cheese, and the game is slightly less then 14 hours long, from end to end, doing all side quests. That's not worth premium price. Every cut scene in the game is only at machina level, except for the two scenes that feature breasts. Those are seriously detailed. I wonder why?

As fighting games go, it starts well, but goes down hill, because the enemies become *easier* to kill, rather then maintaining the same challenge level (or upping it). As puzzle games go, all are simple. Most are highly repetitive. So that's not much. And for a game feature, the boobage is very low. 3 sets of moderate sized women breasts, no explosions, and mostly killing undead/supernatural creatures. This game would rate very low on the Venom scale of fun. Although Venom would like how the character would cut open a nun and suck out her blood if he was thirsty, so for evil, twisted character, that would get an honorable mention.

I think all the swirling and dancing and twirling while using blazing pink weapons which draw pretty pink swirls and flower ribbons on the screen would probably make Venom laugh. For a couple of seconds. It's like a super-butchified Swan Lake performance, with the occasional random spray of blood. Set to hte mad Vulcan combat music from Star Trek.

Humm... I bet drugs and a giant TV screen would really improve the gaming experience. Titantically.