PDA

View Full Version : Just started filling in the PGCE application form

Beta1
10-04-2005, 20:29:48
Trying to remember what awarding body I got my GCSEs from... Bloody hell thats a long time ago.

Am applying a little late for this year as I originally was going to apply next year BUT I found out last week that my two local courses havnt managed to filled their Biology/secondary science courses so I though I might as well have a shot as you can apply up to the end of june they just dont guarantee your application will go where you want it.

I'm going to have to get my mum to dig out my certificates...

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-04-2005, 21:03:32
I couldn't be a teacher. It would be bad.

Beta1
10-04-2005, 21:14:03
Well as long as the school were understanding about the casualties I think you would do fine :lol:

I've spent a few days in secondary schools in the last month. Had a really good time. First one was a little tricky as I didnt really know what they expected me to do - just watch/observe or be more interactive. At the second I knew one of the teachers (he actually taught me many years ago) so I could do more. Spent one lesson with one kid who is clearly bright but a bit disrupted. Managed to keep him amused and working for most of the lesson which was pretty cool. Funniest bit was a practical class looking at conductivity. The kids started testing all these samples and foud that magnesium didnt conduct. Confused the hell out of the teacher - turns out the magnesium was so old it had a nice layer of oxide on the surface...

I should get in as long as my lack of teaching that age group doesnt cause a problem. I've got plenty of CV material for undergrad/postgrad type work but I havnt worked with school age other on school visits or when they look around the labs. its also quite difficult to get any more experience as since ian Huntley schools/agencys/charities etc are vetting everyone through the criminal records agency. As a result it takes upwards of two months to get permission back... Too long to get it on the application anyway...

Many of the current teachers/trainees I have spoken to got onto their courses with much less experience, often straight out of uni so as long as the course doesnt fill up in the next few days I should be OK.

MDA
11-04-2005, 14:15:36
Wow. Good luck. :beer:

I could never teach kids that age on a regular basis. You've got guts. :)

mr.G
11-04-2005, 14:17:40
Originally posted by Beta1
Trying to remember what awarding body I got my GCSEs from... Bloody hell thats a long time ago.

Am applying a little late for this year as I originally was going to apply next year BUT I found out last week that my two local courses havnt managed to filled their Biology/secondary science courses so I though I might as well have a shot as you can apply up to the end of june they just dont guarantee your application will go where you want it.

I'm going to have to get my mum to dig out my certificates...

buoys