PDA

View Full Version : "The Know-it-all"- A.J. Jacobs


Lazarus and the Gimp
10-04-2005, 14:37:51
"The Know-it-all" is th story of one man reading the entire Encyclopaedia, and commenting on the unusual things he's picked up.

What it could have been- a riotous trawl through the very weirdest and most fascinating of hideously obscure information, leaving the reading enthralled to the point that they are left sitting in a cooling puddle of their own urine.

What it actually is- about 5% of the book is a trawl through interesting facts. The remaining 95% is all about the author, an unbelievably irritating social inadequate, being socially inadequate in dull and annoying ways, whilst endlessly banging on about how brilliant and talented his father is and how tragic it is that he can't get his wife pregnant, while parading from one smug upper-middle-class dinner party to another until you want to tear his throat out with your teeth.

This book is awful. I'm three-quarters of the way through, and I'm going to throw it in the bin before sending an abusive e-mail to the publisher.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-04-2005, 17:13:08
Post a copy of the email, if you would :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-04-2005, 17:21:27
I was so irate in writing that, that I failed to mention that it's not just any old encyclopaedia he read- it's the full "Britannica".

Cruddy
10-04-2005, 23:31:03
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
.... I'm going to throw it in the bin before sending an abusive e-mail to the publisher.

Nah. I always put my awful books in the recycling bin.

So nice to know they'll come back as toilet paper - environment friendly too.

Of course, some cut out the middleman, but that can block up your toilet.

King_Ghidra
11-04-2005, 09:02:01
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
This book is awful. I'm three-quarters of the way through, and I'm going to throw it in the bin before sending an abusive e-mail to the publisher.

seriously. don't bother.

sleeping_satsuma
11-04-2005, 17:41:27
i felt like that about baron munchausen. if the author hadnt already been dead i would have gladly stabbed him with his own pen.

Japher
11-04-2005, 22:04:31
i liked the movie

Darkstar
15-04-2005, 08:03:45
Were you on drugs when you watched it? I understand that being on drugs while viewing that movie, really helps.