PDA

View Full Version : Any NWN fans out there?

Oerdin
10-04-2005, 06:55:58
Any of you folks fans of Bioware's Neverwinter Nights game?

Sir Penguin
10-04-2005, 07:02:01
Best multiplayer game ever.

SP

JM^3
10-04-2005, 07:10:48
yeah.. I like it a lot

not playing it right now though

Jon Miller

Sir Penguin
10-04-2005, 10:08:50
I recently discovered user-made modules. I played through the first two modules of Rick Burton's Paladin Trilogy, Twilight and Midnight, which were exceptional (around 30-40 hours of gameplay in total). I hope he's still making progress on the final module, Dawn. I just started on Burton's first module, Guild War, which isn't as good, but is still quality work. I have a few more modules too, but I'm not interested enough in Guild War to keep a steady pace at it, so I've been going back to multiplayer instead of doing single player.

It's amazing what people have done with the game. Including the developer toolset was a great idea on Bioware's part. Even 3 or 4 years after the game's release, there are still people working hard on Neverwinter Nights material. I play multiplayer on a persistent world called Avlis. It has an active out-of-game community, a few dozen active coders, module coordinators, and dungeon masters, and 6 different servers. They're even gaining new members at a reasonable rate, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

SP

jsorense
10-04-2005, 10:15:08
Dork Forum.
Oh, yeah, this is it. :rolleyes:

Sir Penguin
10-04-2005, 10:27:56
I just read that Avlis and the other persistent worlds in the Confederation of Planes and Planets are going to be implementing Spelljamming to travel from one plane/planet to another, instead of just using portals. Awesome!

SP

Mightytree
10-04-2005, 15:30:33
I tried out Avlis once for about 3 or 4 weeks but just never got into the whole hardcore roleplaying thing. I spent the majority of my time on servers like Gemstone or Dor Maeglin that put more emphasis on powergaming than on roleplaying.

I agree though that NWN is definitely up there as one of the best multiplayer games. :)

JM^3
10-04-2005, 15:41:13
I have actually never played any of the bioware made caompaign modules (except maybe Witches Lake?)

there are some very good user made modules out there

I prefer the multiplayer ones though (never have played the game single player)

(never played on a persistant world either)

Jon Miller

MDA
11-04-2005, 01:09:03
I'm partway through the Paladin modules myself.

Haven't done any multiplayer, but I could now that we have DSL.

...then again, we're moving in a month barring disaster *cross fingers* and who knows what will happen then.

The user generated stuff is far superior to the original module. I did like the expansions better, though.

Sir Penguin
11-04-2005, 12:18:50
Yeah, HotU was great. But they still didn't make use of a quarter of the toolset's capability. How far have you gotten with the Paladin Trilogy? I missed one minor thing in Midnight, and at the end the Knightmayor implied that I might have to replay the whole thing to make up for it before I can go on with Dawn. I don't know if that will actually be enforced though. Recommendation: explore ambush areas thoroughly before leaving.

I finished off Guild War today. It wasn't nearly as good as Twilight and Midnight. I've started on the Aielund Saga, which looks interesting. I've only played a few minutes, but it's got a start that's fairly unique, and the dialog is snappy.

SP

MDA
11-04-2005, 12:49:18
I've played Lone Wolf, and the Dreamcatcher/Shadowlords series, too. They were pretty good.

I *think* I last left off the Paladin modules at the mazes you have to cooperatively navigate with the Drow squire girl.

Didn't like Ravenloft or Witches Wake too much.

Shining1
12-04-2005, 01:58:51
NWN was good but never occupied my time like Baldur's Gate 2 did...

King_Ghidra
12-04-2005, 09:06:17
i borrowed a copy of HOTU off a cowie recently, only one of the expansions i didn't buy. I decided to play through as a druid/shifter but i didn't want to start at level 15 so i started the main campaign again. Think i'll play through SOU again as well. Shifter is great fun, gives you lots of variety and different ways to approach encounters.

played some of witches wake, thought that was pretty cool, and sex and the single adventuress which is pretty funny. I really wanted to try that lone wolf module, i thought the books had a really cool world concept

MDA
12-04-2005, 12:38:20
Maybe I should read the books. Hmm.

BG II was the only one of the BG IWD series I played straight through to the finish. The others I would bog down at some point at a tough battle, and not come back and finish it for a few months.

I'm still a handsbreadth away from finishing IWD2 - I almost finished that one without getting stuck.

King_Ghidra
12-04-2005, 13:09:17
Originally posted by MDA
Maybe I should read the books. Hmm.

in case you don't know, they are rpg, fighting-fantasy-type books, so you won't be so much reading them as playing them :)

they have recently been made available for free online at this site:

http://www.projectaon.org/

MDA
12-04-2005, 13:21:11
Wow. I may not have time for that. :)

A complex version of Zork. I wish I'd seen these when I was younger.

Fistandantilus
12-04-2005, 13:56:17
Originally posted by King_Ghidra

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oerdin
22-04-2005, 02:47:17
I just finished HotU today. Fun but tedious towards the end.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
22-04-2005, 02:51:17
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
in case you don't know, they are rpg, fighting-fantasy-type books, so you won't be so much reading them as playing them :)

These were quite good when I was younger, much fun was had. Cool link :beer: :)

Sir Penguin
25-04-2005, 04:15:57
Originally posted by Oerdin
I just finished HotU today. Fun but tedious towards the end.
http://nwvault.ign.com/index2.shtml

SP

MDA
25-04-2005, 15:24:28
Started on Aielund yesterday - SP is right, it does look promising.

There's apparently some question whether the Paladin trilogy will ever be finished, now. The writer just got a contract doing that stuff for money.

Sir Penguin
28-04-2005, 21:07:00
He actually got hired by Bioware.

The Aielund Trilogy has a pretty generic story, but I love the writing. One thing I don't like is that pretty much the entirety of Part 2 is worthless, story-wise.

SP

DaShi
30-04-2005, 08:13:58
I started to play to Aielund trilogy but quit because of the annoying bugs and henchman control.

Sir Penguin
30-04-2005, 09:40:46
I rather liked the henchman control. Some of the bugs were very frustrating though (I had regular CTDs). For some reason, one of the henchmen in Act 3 couldn't fire +5 arrows, but could fire +3 arrows with the same bow. Oops.

SP

MDA
01-05-2005, 15:19:49
I'm having problems getting the cleric to stay with me and not hare off into a pack of bad guys. Once in a while she just sprints off, and if I'm not quick, she brings down the whole dungeon on us.

She has a bad habit of trying to heal herself with spells instead of potions when she's surrounded. Always a bad idea. Don't want to turn her spells off, though. I keep a huge store of healing kits just to keep her alive.

Quite a few CTDs here, too.

Sir Penguin
01-05-2005, 21:23:53
Ah. I played a Rogue/Shadowdancer, so if the battles were going to be tough I snuck in alone and slaughtered everybody instead of letting my henchmen ruin it. :)

I didn't notice them running off, although I have noticed that a lot in HotU (which I just started again). The actual henchman controls ("Follow," "Attack," "Stand your Ground," etc.) are much better in Aielund--the henchmen actually follow your orders, and don't attack of their own initiative unless you tell them to. So if they're running off, I just tell them to follow me and they run back. They they keep asking if they can attack while they're getting beat upon, but that's my fault. ;)

SP

MDA
02-05-2005, 15:20:22
Aielund's enemy groups make unpleasantly excellent use of rouges. The cleric I was with in the first module kept getting instakilled. Started the second module yesterday. Just got level 2 in dwarven defender. Nobody puts good magic axes in their modules. I'm sick of swords.

Sir Penguin
02-05-2005, 22:14:49
I was pleased with the selection of scythes. The problem is that once you get one of the enchanters to enchant your weapon, they won't do the same enchantment on the same weapon, even if it's a better enchantment (for example, upgrading the SR 16 enchantment from the second module to the SR 20 enchantment in the third). I tried to hack the module, at first trying to give myself a new scythe without the extra enchantments and then to change the conversation scripts, but it didn't work. I might have forgotten to compile the module after changing it, now that I think about it. D'oh.

SP

DaShi
03-05-2005, 03:20:41
You can alter the module, but not the saved games. You're saved game will still be under the old mod.

Sir Penguin
03-05-2005, 04:08:11
That's what I assumed at the time, but that doesn't really make sense. Surely saved games don't save conversations.

SP

MDA
03-05-2005, 12:40:46
oooh, found the university enchanter, but I got sidetracked looking for a potion of binding

Saved the hostages in the library, killed the devil, and my journal said the hostages were killed. Lies!

I like gelatinous cubes. They should drop a ton of junk like in Zangband, though.

Sir Penguin
03-05-2005, 19:01:52
I was disappointed by the gelatinous cube drops, too. :(

The devil's a tough one. You have to wait for a couple minutes, so that the hostages can get to the door and leave the area.

SP

MDA
03-05-2005, 19:40:47
Ah, I waited until they left the little room instead of the area.

Devil went down easy- the holy water did wonders. Defensive Stance is a very nice buff, and its nice to have a rogue along for the criticals - he's more useful than the cleric from the first module.

MDA
04-05-2005, 13:52:00
I got fucked by the undocumented "13+ Int prereq for Imp. Knockdown" AGAIN!!! When will I learn? Since I had improved criticals instead, I enchanted my sword of valor to be keen. Sweet.

That sword came in handy fighting wisps and their fear auras.

I'm off to see what's got the druids riled up.

Sir Penguin
04-05-2005, 21:53:17
I always give my SP characters at least INT 12, for the extra two skill points (compared to INT 8) that come in ever so handy when you have to take things like Lore and Persuade as well as your major class skills. It also helps to be just one attribute increase away from being able to take Imp. Knockdown and Expertise and so on. :D

SP

MDA
05-05-2005, 18:38:54
I have the 12 INT - I just have to wait a few levels to get to 13. I forgot my plan to take the point when I hit level 8 and dumped it into CON instead. :(

Sir Penguin
06-05-2005, 00:20:46
Neeeeeever mind.

SP

Oerdin
06-05-2005, 06:55:12
My router doesn't seem to want me to play multiplayer. :(

Sir Penguin
06-05-2005, 07:33:38
Have you set it up to let the correct port (usually TCP port 5121) through any firewall it might have? (Or, if you're trying to run the server, you'll have to set it to forward port 5121 to your computer.)

SP

MDA
06-05-2005, 12:01:42
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Neeeeeever mind.

SP

Yes, it was dumb.:)