PDA

View Full Version : The Sims takes spot as all time most popular, most sold game

Darkstar
28-03-2002, 23:48:14
It has surpassed Myst as the #1 most sold, most profitable, most played game of all time.

Guess we can look forward to more Sim games, people. Whether you like it or not.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is moving up the chart... it's more popular then Civ3, and making more money then Civ3, month per month, while being sold for $17 currently... one third the price of Civ3.

Fun fun.

Microsoft's Zoo Tycoon looks to be thinking about taking a permanent place on the game charts as well.

So more Tycoons and Tycoons, and maybe even more Blah Tycoons.

Dollars speak... and those games that make money are the type that Big Names in publishing will ok for clone projects.

Sean
28-03-2002, 23:54:02
Yeah, so? My favourite games developer (LGS) went bust, but they still made games that are 10 times more interesting that The Sims or Myst.

As with most industries, when the dollars outweigh the creative impulses you get dross.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-03-2002, 00:30:05
About 6.3 million in sales, right? This was reported on TechTV last night. I remember the day when 100,000 in sales meant a game was a hit. Things have certainly changed since then.

With the above figure, are they counting add-on packs as well in the total figure? Because if that's the case, the figure is artificially inflated.

Also, most popular and most sold do not equate to best game ever. There's a certain amount of interest to be had in The Sims, namely the "architecture" simulation, but the baby sitting gibbering morons part isn't so much fun, IMHO, and gets tedious fast. You'd think that after a few repetitions, the game would at least give your Sims a clue and find some routine that works. :rolleyes:

BigGameHunter
29-03-2002, 00:33:56
That game blows!!!! 6 million suckers playing digital dollies!

Darkstar
29-03-2002, 00:35:44
Now, that's interesting, Sean.

The Sims is an interesting game. And a lot more original then most out there. If it's not your cup of tea, fine.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is a fun little thing. The fact that it has created an entire new genre of gaming (before it, there was just RRT (and it's clone, Transport Tycoon, the actual code predecessor to RCT), and what? Oh yeah... the intergalatic speculation games. Not much else out there then.

Zoo Tycoon is staying on the chart because of the 'cute animal' factor.

And I like economic games. Something nice to play as a change to 'get wood, stone, advance... make units, all units attack' games.

And there hasn't been very many good TBS games in a long, long time.

I'm looking forward to MoO3... but in the meantime, I'm enjoying just vegging out with less click fest games.

Dross is... the market. The early days of one in eight games being stars is long gone. Be glad when there is a major success... it means there will be a hundred clones. Maybe, just maybe, one of those clones will be just different enough, to start publishers into willing to back a different kind of game. Like RCT did...

Darkstar
29-03-2002, 00:44:00
I think it's just 'The Sims' for units sold. It's not going to slow down for a while yet, that's for sure.

Best game ever? Units sold and profit made is the ONLY things publishers pay attention to. That's why they okayed QuickSilver doing a MoO3. Now, QS is a decent shop. They loved the original (MoO1). They liked the second one. And they begged to do the sequel.

They also wanted to bring about another of their favorite all time games... Master of Magic. So they got it in their contract... if MoO3 is a 'success', they get to do MoM2.

If those games are big successes, we should see a few more clones, SF and Fantasy TBS games... I like SF games, so I've got my fingers crossed.

And The Sims will win tons of awards for 'Best Game Ever', 'Most Innovative', etc. It has won individual awards, and as the joining of small game communites into larger commuities continues, it will continue to get them.

Sean
29-03-2002, 00:57:55
DS, why should I care about clones being made? Is it really valuable for the world to have another cute economic game or another intense FPS or another World Cup tie-in?

The units sold metric is misleading. If a lot of people buy something, it is note because they find it an intense experience, it is because they kinda like it. It is nigh-on impossible to be able to grab, in a best-EVER-I-am-never-going-to-forget-that-game way, everybody. So the things that sell well are the things that most people like, but not necessarily the things most people love.

This also goes for industry awards. Again, as small communities grow into larger communities, you end up with a game that lots of people think is good, but not many think is great.

Sure, be pleased that your dolly is popular. Just don’t get all excited about more clones and expansion packs and pretend that it is massive news.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-03-2002, 01:02:39
I don't agree with any of those award categories (though I suspect you just ad hoc'ed a bunch of likely titles) since The Sims really isn't all that fab. I'm glad you like it, DS, and that 6.2999998 million other people did too. Even I fire it up occasionally (though with my hard drive space being what it is, I don't leave it installed once I tire of it, though I do backup the data).

The house planning bit it derivative of just about any kind of design/planning game, most notably the Sim series of games, but also games like X-Com (at a stretch) which allow you the freedom to design your base, and many others.

The manipulation of the Sims themselves is derivative of just about any God game, like Populous 3, AoK or whatever. Put 'em together, add some cartoony graphics, and a "quest/goal" system (quest for money/status/job/possessions - hey, it's just like real life! :D) and voila! The Sims.

Digital dollies or Barbies for grown ups, The Sims isn't so amazing. Maybe it appeals to those with a dominating and controlling personality, but then why don't I like it? Maybe it appeals to those who don't want a challenge like in other games - there's not really that much to overcome, except maybe if you spend all your money on stuff at the beginning and you don't have enough money for food afterwards!

Sean
29-03-2002, 01:05:36
It must be something about the Sims, but:
be pleased that your dolly is popular
I'm glad you like it, DS…Barbies for grown ups

Condescension Avenue!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-03-2002, 01:16:45
Well, I don't really see how else to categorize it :) :)

Shining1
29-03-2002, 05:39:32
Good for the Sims.

Shame that this is going to save EAs ass, though. That was a company that deserved a good kicking.

Also, 6.3 million sales doesn't seem very much if you count the expansion packs as well - Myst claims it got 12 million, and obscure geek games like Starcraft and Quake also rack up multi-million amounts.

But the nice thing is that, as this thread has shown:D, there isn't too much overlap between people who play the Sims and people who play traditional games.

So the world just got geekier:D.

Darkstar
29-03-2002, 08:51:25
Actually...

I think most of us *here* are primarily goal oriented players. I've noticed that the number of posters here that like the free form games is very low. Goal players tend to get bored of the Sims in just a few evenings play. Once you have done the basics, what's left?

The Sims itself seems to me to have three kinds of fans. Those playing 'dollies', those seeing just how funny a thing they can make out of it, and those that are into artificial life (I fall in the last primarily, but occasionally dip into the second category). There does seem to be a growing line of 'story makers' among them, but most of those tend to fall into category one or two most of the time.

Why get excited? Don't if you don't want to. But Civ3 is striking the death knell of the old style games. The fan base just isn't spreading the word. How many people have gone... sigh. Not as good as (previous version/alternative/yadda yadda blah).

Now, RRT and RCT are just tons of fun for me. If they aren't to your taste, fine. I hope RtCW is a mega hit, so it gets cloned to death for you for the next 10 years. Or whatever grabs you.

But Ultimate Game? You go talk to the Sim fans. You'll find they think it just about cannot get any better. There are tons of them. And that will be what is targetted. Just like we saw a ton of Myst clones...

Shining... take units sold, and multiply by the average sales price of $30 for The Sims. That sort of money talks. Plus, they got a built in expansion sale every 6 months, or however fast they can crank it out. Again, that sort of money talks, and does so very loudly. I wonder how long it will be before EA buys the other game companies? ;)

World Cup? Haven't seen any on the shelves here. Just a few flavors of (American) Football, Hockey, and the other big American sports. The only games I hear of for World Cup would be... Championship Manger. And that's from our friends across the pond, primarily.

Rigth now, you can 'Tycoon' just about anything you might be a fan of. Pizza, Hotels, Beer, Zoos, Amusement Parks, Ski Resorts, Airports, etc etc etc. The list rolls on. Everyone trying to get a piece of the action. Maybe though, someone will end up going off in an odd direction, and come up with something else. The more people trying, the more likely it will happen. That was my point.

And I like Artificial Life, so I'm curious to see what other people come up with to try and get a piece of the SimPeople pie. ;)

What made up awards? I said, just look for them. The communities are just joining up. Best Game Ever from the Indies went to Alone in the Dark, and a few MAJOR label titles from the last 10 to 20 years from the Game Developers Conference and the Independant Game Developers Conference. Now that they've done their nods to the long past, they'll settle down to something closer. Next year, it will probably be The Sims for best innovation. Just my opinion.

But The Sims was a radical departure from what was out there. As was Rollercoaster Tycoon. Two out there (okay, there weren't, but to the Industry, they would be) games, financed and published. Long shots and wild ideas have a better chance of getting picked up because of that... and THAT is something to celebrate. More stupid games, yes... but also, better chances for something 'different'.

And a widening of the general field of games available. That all sounds good to me...

Sean
29-03-2002, 09:27:57
DS, now that is odd, because I love Champ Man, which is a game that runs and runs and runs and runs and runs. The problem with the Sims is that there is not that much to play with, and the repetetive nature of the basic tasks makes any experimentation just another chore.

Obviously the World Cup games remark was aimed at footballing countries—there are a ridiculous amount of football games out or coming out now.

And also, I don’t want games getting cloned; the point is to have developers try new things, not churn out the same old, same old. Now, if the industry went into recession they might feel like they needed to try new things, but at this time you just have to plug into what’s hot at the moment.

Darkstar
29-03-2002, 09:45:38
Humm... I would think they are more likely to take a long shot while flushed with cash, rather then going with a solid 'make a bit more then it costs' clone.

I agree that if I wanted to play Civ (for instance), I'd just play CIV... but I do like to see the alternatives people come up with in certain game types. And eventually, if you play enough games, they all start being 'same ole, same ole'. ;)

There are only so many times something is absolutely new to you. After that... *shrug*. Even if the publishers and developers think it's new, after a while, you've played enough to recognize it's just another Blood Bowl, for instance, or just Mario with Anime Girl Characters, or whatever.

Sean
29-03-2002, 09:48:42
Actually, I don’t recall any games that preceded Mario Party, but then I probably don’t know as many games as you.

So, party games that are a cross between traditional board games and arcade game silliness. How many were there before Mario Party?

Darkstar
29-03-2002, 09:57:01
I actually don't know Mario Party. Would have to see it to know. I haven't payed much attention to Console games for the last, oh, 5 or 6 years. What is it? MP races? MP Platform/World Adventure? (Both of which I saw on the Sega in a Sonic... I might even have a PC port from when someone gave me a 'Super' Sonic gift pack for the PC a few years back.)

Board Game and Arcade mix? Like Archon, from the Amiga/Mac/Atari days?

Board Game and Arcade... Like Crazy Combat Constructors (Monopoly clone with a few odd bits tossed in)

Board Game and Arcade... Like Mule?

Board Game and Arcade... Like StarControl?

Sean
29-03-2002, 10:14:51
Ack. Board lost my post.

It is a game where you go around a board collecting stars and coins and fight in mini-games at the end of each round. It requires luck, deviousness, and skill.

Nav
29-03-2002, 16:48:37
If it wasn't for cloned games the gaming industry would be crap. :D

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-03-2002, 22:24:07
Nav: I wouldn't say crap, but I would say a lot smaller.

DS, The Sims is by no means an A-Life simulator. Some of the great hallmarks of A-Life stuff is reproduction, adaptation, and change. The Sims shows none of that (except for the extremely basic "reproduction".

Now, a fun A-Life "game" would be based on something like the system from Greg Egan's Permutation City, which let the user construct molecules, and ultimately simple "lifeforms" using a simplified simulation of physics. Left to run for a few thousand years on exponentially more powerful Von-Neumann computers, the universe in the story eventually evolved intelligent life.

The current crop of A-Life isn't quite as sophisticated (or fantastical) as all that, but the "creatures" at least exhibit behaviour similar to that of non-artificial life (as much as it can given the differences in environment, resources etc.)

The Sims, in contrast, is merely animation of characters with no real potential for change, going through pre-programmed actions while "interacting" with similarly pre-programmed objects. Not that there's anything wrong with that, most games these days do this to some degree or other (though not as limited as The Sims), but to call The Sims "artificial life" is a terrible trivialization of the whole A-life movement.

Civ3 isn't striking any death knells for anything, except perhaps for poorly designed/programmed sequels that are amazingly hyped. This kind of thing has been going on for pretty much the whole existence of the gaming industry. Civ3 was an especially nasty case, more so because Sid appears to actually believe that he is a "Game God" rather than someone who actually has to work to produce something new, fresh and innovative.

Ultimate Game - now there's an interesting concept. It's all in the eye of the beholder (and by that I don't mean the Westwood games :) ). There is no Ultimate Game, no Best Title, noting like that. It's like trying to find out what the Best Movie of All Time, or Best Song is. DS, go talk to some of the Diablo 2 fans, I'm sure they think their game "cannot get any better" too.

As for awards, I'm sure The Sims will get quite a few, due to it's popularity. But hey, I'm sure Britney and N*Sync will win a few in their lifetimes, too. I certainly wouldn't say they're new, fresh and interesting. But enough people think they do. This is what's wrong with democracy - you have to let the uninformed, the tasteless, the ignorant vote, and so you get the results that you do.

I'm not a huge fan of The Sims, and I don't see anything terribly ground-breaking or innovative about it. It's an updated, much more graphical yet sadly lacking unofficial sequel to Activision's Little Computer People (1979, I believe!) Yet even I will load it up occasionally and spend a few mindless hours coaxing the Sims to go to the bathroom or clean their teeth or eat a meal before they starve to death (even A-Life is capable of feeding itself! :D :D ) It's a nice game, but nothing special. But hey, if it floats your boat...

Darkstar
29-03-2002, 23:29:01
Qaj...

Sims do reproduce. The cap is... they don't grow old and die. Sims are basic Artificial Life. They have a bunch of motivators, and select what to do based on them. The trick to this is... they are MAINSTREAM A-Life. That's the sad bit.

I do follow A-Life. It's a hobby for me. I'm familar with the differences. Best A-Life successes, that are 'full cycle' with no artificial little caps in them that I can think of... Creatures series, and Aquazone.

Success from a company's point of view is simple... money.

Shining1... That's pure 'The Sims' for units sold. Counting expansions, it's 13.5 million units, according to an article in CNN Money. That kind of cash talks.

You know... a lot of this talk reminds me of the talk about Myst. 'People like that?' was what many *gamers* I recall saying about it. You know, maybe it's their effective simplicity... the appeal to the casual... that is *exactly* what Willy boy is targeting in 'The Sims Online'. And he's playing up the 'Dolly/Make Your Own Soap Opera Fantasy' in 'The Sims 2'. Yes, it's happening. EA will announce it officially at Triple E this year.

Greatest game ever... What games have eaten up the most of your time in your life? For Shining1, I'd guess... Starcraft and Diablo 2? Me? Empire... I spent whole summers playing that game.

But remember... Greatest Game Ever from a *company* point of view will be the one that made them the most money. So... Lineage, Everquest, The Sims... those are cash cows whose milk never runs out... And that's going to be what other companies are going to try and get a piece of.

Look at 'Magic The Gathering'. It was such a cash cow, that every non-computer game publisher there was had to immediately rush a couple of their own 'Collectable' card games to market. Why? Cause they wanted a piece of that pie, because MtG was the greatest game ever... for making a profit. That's all they ever care about.

Darkstar
29-03-2002, 23:36:06
RC, I might be calling it early on the Civ3... but it just isn't generating any real buzz/word of mouth. When you go into a software shop, see the little brother grab a Civ3 box and hand it to his older brother going 'Ew. What about this Johnny?' and the older one goes 'That's a total piece of shit,' throwing the box to the ground, 'Let's go see if they have something fun.', you start to clue in.

I can remember Civ and Civ2... they didn't get that treatment. But the game playing clerks in the stores flat out TELL people at the register 'Civ3? You are paying money for that boring thing?', that says something to me. Once or twice is one thing... people have different taste. But I see that *often* down in the software stores. That cannot be a good sign. They didn't complain like that over the RTS that had the virus on the factory CD.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
30-03-2002, 01:20:02
I think you're calling it right for Civ3, DS. There's no consumer-driven hype that I can see that amounts to anything. Even SMAC had more (amongst all the brickbats, it got it's share of bouquets), including when the Firaxis SMAC forums were still open.

But as far as saying

But Civ3 is striking the death knell of the old style games.

I think you're off-base. You can't extrapolate that kind of trend from one title.

Shining1
30-03-2002, 01:51:43
CivIII is the death knell of the Civilisation franchise, perhaps, but hardly of the 'old style' type of gaming.

LSN is proof enough that you take a turn based concept and make it great fun, and moreover you don't need millions of dollars to do so. In fact...

3 guys wages for 6 months - $150000
Graphics packages like 3D Max, C++ professional - $10000
Really big assed computer - $10000
Server space and time - $1000 * 6 = $6000

So you can get a 'game' for about $200000 max. If you're serious. So far they've made about $7500 off that - but you need snowflakes to trigger avalaunches and all;).

So, given that there is still demand, and that is it now theoretically possible to do the supply without having to front a multi-million dollar pitch to Microsoft, nothing has changed.

What we are seeing is the EXPANSION of the games market. Different types of games (The Sims, Train) entering and shock horror doing very very well:). AS WELL AS all the traditional builds continuing to evolve.

CivIII didn't evolve. Same old game stuck in 1995 without even the improvements that SMAC has - buggy and dull as that turned out to be, I do remember it fondly for the Social engineering feature - it at least had some evolution.

Civ hasn't done that.

Lady_of_Chicken
30-03-2002, 05:44:52
[Qaj says]

Agreed, with one caveat: Civ3 isn't the death knell for the Civ franchise. Civ4 will be, if it doesn't pull something amazing out of the bag. There are improvements that can be made, especially with micromanagement, and better balancing between different strategy types. But I don't think Firaxis will be able to pull it off. It needs new blood - kind of like the deal that's happening with MoO. There's nothing stopping a Civ clone coming out and making it. CtP was a good try, but not a great try. I hope someone will come along and knock Sid of his complacent perch.

I don't agree with the notion that The Sims will be cloned. I mean, what else can you do with the concept? DS says that Sims fans think the game can't be improved. That can be taken two ways :) It's a limited concept. Even the expansion packs have been little more than wallpaper, clothes and objects. There may be an expanded storytelling aspect to any future Sims product, but that won't necessarily alter the gameplay significantly. Though I do hope that for the sake of games in general and the industry, they don't just Civ3 it and put out something ultrahyped as a cash cow.

Darkstar
30-03-2002, 06:32:37
Well, fine. Civ3 isn't the death knell of anything more then Firaxis/Sid as a respected developer. Everyone cool?

Actually Shining1, it's not Microsoft that you end up giving lots of money too. It's your own infrastructure... health benies, HR, accounting, payroll, marketeer/evangelist, etc etc etc. 3 coders? Don't forget the 12 artists, 5 music and sound guys, 14 animators, etc etc etc. But it's still just 3 coders.

Programmers are the least important element these days in big game production. Check the credits. A good number of products, those eight names under 'Coders' are actually 4 people, in head count. Thanks to turn over and burn out and what not. Or so I'm hearing these days. Never enough time to make the product. Burns out people when it goes on too long.

And graphics are somewhat important. A game can be fun without them, but if you are going to get a fast and good hype going, you need to be at least market standard. That means lots of investment into graphics... 3D Studio Max, etc etc etc.

LSN is more of a throwback... and an except, if you look around.

And as for Sims... humm... players of it want more... tiles, walls, etc. But they don't ask for 'a step up'. Just more. I suppose that's why SimsVille got cancelled. Too bad, I was looking forward to something 'different'. More of a melding of game niches. Oh well.

Qaj, I'm sure it will be an over-hyped cash cow. What else would EA do? ;)

Shining1
30-03-2002, 07:24:26
Paul: Try LSN and you'll see what I'm talking about (they even have a tutorial so you don't need to put your ego on the line;)).

That IS the work of three guys, period. No artists, no management, no tea lady. Graphics are good (there's no other way to put it, sure they aren't great, but neither are they bad, and average seems a little harsh too), sound is fine, and it's all done on the budget I gave above, IN REAL LIFE.

As for being a throw back - the game is more or less X-Com, fair enough. But the business model is brand new:).

Darkstar
30-03-2002, 07:46:33
So you guys have said.

Look at Space Empires 4. It was ORIGINALLY, one man. Got picked up by a big shop/publisher. Now they are filling it in, last I heard. Better sound, better graphics... ;)

The small shop of a couple of coders is the exception, not the rule. And the LSN crew are used to the old way of doing things.

And I'll try it out, eventually, I'm sure. No worries. I like to look at things.

Shining1
30-03-2002, 07:52:40
Rules change;). People get tired of playing the same game time after time, especially if it costs $50 a time to do so. The cynics are saying as much:).

Two of the best games I've played recently are LSN and that little german puzzle game with the lasers.

Sean
30-03-2002, 10:27:48
DS, you mentioned RCT. Wasn’t that a one-man project, aside from the sound?

Darkstar
30-03-2002, 10:35:20
It wasn't a one man project. But Chris did come up with the idea while playing with his Transport Tycoon 2 prototype. At least, according to the interviews, diaries, and behind the scenes I've seen on it. He was having fun laying out twisty track, and watching his trains run around...and got a clue. Worked his prototype up a bit, and showed it off to get funding for the whole project.

Sean
30-03-2002, 10:44:34
http://www.mobygames.com/game/credits/gameId,288/

He did all the research, programming, etc. Other people did graphics, documentation, sound, writing, QA, and PR.

Darkstar
30-03-2002, 11:03:10
Yeah, I've heard the buzz. Supposedly, it's all supposed to be in assembler as well.

But it wasn't what he'd said elsewhere.

Considering how much he already had done though, I suppose it wouldn't be entirely unlikely. I just don't like how we turned into one. He isn't a government worker, is it? ;)

Sean
30-03-2002, 11:08:38
Maybe he said ‘we’ to try to convince people that he wasn’t some lone coder.

Darkstar
30-03-2002, 12:34:01
Don't know. It was 'I' for the prototype. 'We' for making while making it. Maybe he meant the team of 'Me, Myself, and I', for all I know. I wasn't there.

Snapcase
30-03-2002, 22:20:57
I'm just wondering what the appeal to the general public is with a game like The Sims. Myst had "brilliant graphics" and was a "multimedia showpiece" blah blah blah, but what draws people to the Sims? It's not the first nor the last Life Simulator. The graphics are mediocre. Every element of the game has been "done" before. And, most importantly, it doesn't reward players, at all. I bought the game, played it for an afternoon and utterly hated it, boring, repetetive gameplay without a reward structure. I then sold it back.

I always thought that the successful games were the ones that you could see at a friend's, pretty much instantly grasp, play and totally enjoy for a few minutes and then decide to buy on the strength of a quick view. The Sims is exactly the opposite of that. I'm sure there is some fun to be had once you're level 76 and have a fucking mansion, but it starts out utterly utterly tedious, with a fucking design phase that feels like one of those "character deign screens" from an archaic RPG (only worse) and then tedious click click click for a day or two until you have a large, stable family. Possibly the sort of thing that would appeal to your average Gaming Nerd, but why does this go home with the general public?

I think it's pure chance myself. I mean, why Roller Coaster Tycoon... but not Theme Park five years earlier? It's just totally utterly fucking randomised.

Sean
30-03-2002, 22:24:54
I think it is the attraction of being able to recreate your group of friends, or even make some friends for yourself.

Now, Mario Party is a game you can understand while drunk. Best MP game ever. Aside from maybe Mario Tennis in doubles mode. Or ISS four player.

Shining1
31-03-2002, 02:10:07
The Sims is about building your own story. That's the reward you get.

Like Diablo2, it's kinda mostly career advancement and shopping:).

Darkstar
31-03-2002, 06:26:25
Theme Park was too clunky. Rollercoaster Tycoon got that right. Them Park also sucked as you had to constantly take time out to 'negotiate' with the unions, and restock your drink, food, etc. That also was a big negative on a game that was marginal at best.

The Sims is just the sort of thing the 'Non' Gamer loves. Just like Myst was very pretty graphics with no thinking required... It only had a few puzzles that even made me stop and think through the whole game, and only one thing that made me write anything down. Bleah. Fun scenary, nothing else.

Games are a big dice toss though... just like music. ;)

Snapcase
31-03-2002, 10:07:39
I still don't get the appeal of the sims to the non-gamer. Honestly. It's more difficult, more fiddly, more annoyingly repetetive than almost any other game.

Funkodrom
01-04-2002, 12:08:58
I've never played or been tempted to play The Sims.

Even if I had the new TV ads would have put me off. What terrible ads!

Venom
01-04-2002, 13:31:43
I played for a few days but it quickly became boring. Then I used all the cheats and it was interesting for a few more days and I've never picked it up since. I don't even know where it is.

Darkstar
01-04-2002, 22:17:28
I wonder if there is a correlation between people that play with barbie/joe and people that like The Sims?

I never really got into the action figures as a kid (I was into model planes, spaceships, and trains), but there is definately a large, lucrative market out there for such things. And The Sims definately allows for that on computers.

Yeah, the new Vacation ad wasn't very interesting...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-04-2002, 23:12:10
I wonder at the story telling aspect of the game. I mean, while you're playing there isn't really much story going on. It's micromanaging them eating, sleeping and going to the bathroom. And it all seems like so much more hard work than just sitting down in front of WordPad and belting out a chapter or two.

Though not that I do that much these days either, but it dawns on me that The Sims is a limited story telling application written for the Semi-Literate Generation. So if I was being cynical :eek: I'd could say that I know now why it has much of the appeal that it does :) :)

Darkstar
01-04-2002, 23:44:36
:ROTFLMAO:

Well... I know it's a real pain in the ass to get the shot framed right if you are picky about whats in the snaps when making a story. Seems like a lot of work to me...

But there are some good stories out on The Sims site.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
02-04-2002, 00:23:59
Yeah, I've seen a few which were okay to good (but the majority were pretty dismal), and I even tried out the snapshot facility, but it seemed like too much work to get something worthwhile.

Perhaps, if there is a sequel, it'll be a lot easier to do. Maybe some kind of limited "movie" recorder, from which you can extract stills would be better. Just take 30 seconds worth, page forward and back until you get the frame you want, extract, voila!

The other thing I'd be screaming for (if I were at all interested) would be some kind of learning curve for the Sims ie. if they eat breakfast at 6:30 every day, they are more likely to do that in subsequent days. Make fluctuations random to keep players paying attention, but not entirely random like it is now. I don't know - maybe I'm lazy. But I hated having to beat 7 people to the fridge with the one that could cook just so the house wouldn't burn down and everyone could get to work on time, and then keep an eye on them all while a meal was being prepared to make sure someone didn't sneak out a tray of those can things and waste $20 :rolleyes:

Deacon
02-04-2002, 05:28:05
I used to like G.I. Joes, but I play shooters and strategy games now. Warfare is goal-oriented.

Back when The Sims was first announced, I didn't understand the concept. I still haven't bought the game now. Maybe it's like reality TV, but on the terms of the gamer. The main similarity I can see between the two is that with both, you get to watch bits and pieces of somebody's life. I'm not sure why not just celebrities get this kind of attention. Maybe those of us who prefer traditional content are elitist snobs... :)

Resource Consumer
02-04-2002, 12:03:41
Originally posted by Darkstar
RC, I might be calling it early on the Civ3... but it just isn't generating any real buzz/word of mouth. When you go into a software shop, see the little brother grab a Civ3 box and hand it to his older brother going 'Ew. What about this Johnny?' and the older one goes 'That's a total piece of shit,' throwing the box to the ground, 'Let's go see if they have something fun.', you start to clue in.

I can remember Civ and Civ2... they didn't get that treatment. But the game playing clerks in the stores flat out TELL people at the register 'Civ3? You are paying money for that boring thing?', that says something to me. Once or twice is one thing... people have different taste. But I see that *often* down in the software stores. That cannot be a good sign. They didn't complain like that over the RTS that had the virus on the factory CD.

I never said anything, but I agree.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
02-04-2002, 20:36:13
Darkstar is psychic now? That's as creepy as Mike's avatar.

Shining1
03-04-2002, 00:50:36
Children who throw games boxes on the ground should not be let out in public. Even if the game is CivIII. Mostly, anyway:).

Darkstar
03-04-2002, 04:25:41
Hey, that's why they pay people in the store... to put things in there place. That's just job security, if you think about it. ;)

Darkstar
03-04-2002, 04:28:43
Qaj... trick is to just use a microwave until everyone in the house has a cooking of 2. Fires are very rare at Cooking 2. Then replace microwave with a real stove if you want.

We will see what happens with the sequels...

Shining1
03-04-2002, 05:34:08
Can't you just buy them a Ring of +2 To Cook?:D

Darkstar
03-04-2002, 06:26:02
That will be a few more expansions down the road! :D

Resource Consumer
03-04-2002, 09:24:41
Originally posted by Darkstar
Qaj... trick is to just use a microwave until everyone in the house has a cooking of 2. Fires are very rare at Cooking 2. Then replace microwave with a real stove if you want.

We will see what happens with the sequels...

The fires are the most fun about it - that and walling the buggers up with nothing to eat or drink.

I did that to the Spice Girls once, I think I'll try it with Destiny's Child as well.

King_Ghidra
03-04-2002, 09:41:56
Hmm all this talk about world's best selling games and no mention of consoles...tut tut...

PC games make up a marginal number of sales in the games world

fin

Shining1
03-04-2002, 09:48:54
Heh, true. Tis a little like talking about the best selling Classical Music album of recent times (er, I forgot what it was).

Darkstar
03-04-2002, 21:37:48
We only care about our own little bits of the world that we actually pay attention to. Haven't you figured that out yet?

Shining1... probably B's 9th.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
04-04-2002, 00:39:51
If I ever drag The Sims back out onto my hard drive (it'll probably have to wait until I get a bigger hard drive, which will have to wait until I get a new computer) I'll have to try that microwave thing.