PDA

View Full Version : I fucked some kids up on an exam today

KrazyHorse@home
31-03-2005, 22:22:21
I was proctoring the test, and was going over it myself when I thought I discovered that one of the problems was giving a frequency off by a factor of a thousand or so. Turns out I had just forgotten what the prefix "giga" meant. Since there were other errors on the exam I didn't think too hard about it before I "corrected" the problem statement...

KrazyHorse@home
31-03-2005, 22:23:20
Oh well. I'm marking the tests anyway, so I guess everybody gets perfect on that question. :lol:

Provost Harrison
31-03-2005, 22:26:06
There are a myriad of opportunities for copycats here ;)

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 22:32:40
How did Jon Miller get KH's login?

KrazyHorse@home
31-03-2005, 22:33:08
Even the best of us are allowed to screw up once in a while.

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 22:38:25
But you are not the best. So you aren't allowed to screw up.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

KrazyHorse@home
31-03-2005, 22:39:26
Originally posted by Darkstar
But you are not the best

False assumption

KrazyHorse@home
31-03-2005, 22:40:13
Actually, I was channeling the spirits of NASA programmers...

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 22:40:47
Correct assumption. It's a well known fact that ZMama is the best. You are not ZMama, therefore you are not the best.

Now, you will have to wear the donkey asshat while awaiting your execution.

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 22:42:01
Can't be. NASA doesn't confuse giga. It just confuses inches and centimeters. :)

Now, you have to clean Venom's trailer, in addition to having to wear the donkey asshat while awaiting your execution.

HelloKitty
01-04-2005, 00:00:34
This is why we won't let the proctors define, correct, comment, or ANYTHING on our exams anymore. In fact whenever possible we hire from the campus Proctor pool and old folks come in who know no science at all.

Although, we do have a very old man who proctors for chem and the med school who claims to have invented the scantron when he worked at the uni.

KrazyHorse@home
01-04-2005, 08:49:44
Actually, HK, I'm now about 6/7 in correcting problem statements on exams.

And most of them were such fucking egregious errors that they rendered the problem impossible or useless (i.e. giving a trivial answer)

I was proctoring an exam for one professor about a year ago who had managed to put, on a freshman "I'm don't know any real physics" mechanics exam a problem which would have involved solving a non-linear second order coupled differential equation in 2 variables.

The ideal solution is for the professor to let me get a look at the exam at least a day in advance so I can have a chance to correct the inevitable errors.

On some occasions (as in the previous example) the mistake is there because the professor is a true idiot who does not even understand the basics of the subject he is trying to teach. On other occasions (such as the actual errors on the exam I proctored today) the mistakes are there because we're all human beings and fuck up once in a while.

If they didn't let me restate problems on exams there would be a lot more trouble than there currently is.

Drekkus
01-04-2005, 13:19:31
Doesn't giga mean, like, HUGE?