PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up Your PC, Free!

Christoph
27-03-2005, 20:49:47
Well, this is just one example of how to free some RAM up, It really does help if you don't have an awful lot, like I used to be like with my 256MB of the shite. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2, just incase it might not work on an older OS. Here's a quick tutorial:

Right click My Computer
Properties
Click the advanced tab (bottom right tab)
Performance settings

You should get something that looks like this

http://img130.exs.cx/img130/9586/helpings4ms.jpg

Tick the box for best performance and the scroll down to the bottom of the options, and tick the boxes that I have. This will make the PC look like normal, but all the windows etc will open and close quicker.

If you want you can mess around with the advanced option with the paging, but only if you know what you're doing, otherwise you could kill it.

Another thing you might want to try is tweak XP. Just search it on google.

Hope this could have been of any help to anyone.
More tips soon when I get around to it.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-03-2005, 23:28:05
Pity post :)

protein
28-03-2005, 01:24:11
Here's one of many tweaks I've done recently. This is non mobo specific and not sound performance related so it might help you lot too.

But then you guys know lots more about this sort of thing than me anyway.

Deep Tweaks for Geeks

* It is possible to boost overall system performance by increasing the IRQ priority of the CMOS real-time clock with the following Registry change.

copy this:

REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlPr iorityControl] ''IRQ8Priority''=dword:00000001

Paste it into a text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. Save the file as whatever name you want, perhaps boost_irq_priority with a .reg file extension e.g. boost_irq_priority.reg - you can now close the text-editor and simply double-click on the file you just created to enter the information into the registry. To undo this tweak, repeat the procedure but copy this instead into the text file: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlPr iorityControl] ''IRQ8Priority''=dword:00000000

You should find that your overall system performance increases from this tweak.

* Go to Start->Run and type system.ini - a notepad will be launched containing the system.ini file. Adding the following line to your system.ini file makes the system use RAM more often rather than the virtual memory:

After the [386 Enh] tag add ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 It should look like this:

[386 Enh] tag add ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

This improves system performance since RAM is much faster than the hard-disk. (note: do not use this option if you have less than 128MB of RAM installed) By the way if you DO have less than 128MB of RAM you shouldn’t even be here. The first thing you should do in order to optimize the performance of your computer is have at least 256MB.

BigGameHunter
31-03-2005, 01:53:25
I'm scared of that kind of crap.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-03-2005, 02:18:39
Wuss :D

zmama
31-03-2005, 07:18:58
reg edit is FUN!!! :D

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-03-2005, 18:38:36
Especially on someone else's machine!

zmama
01-04-2005, 04:19:40
the best!! :D love to see em sweat

zmama
01-04-2005, 04:20:16
As you tell them to never ever do this :)

MDA
01-04-2005, 15:42:50
Fiddling with BIOS is even more fun that way.