PDA

View Full Version : Smell the Müf

Funko
26-03-2005, 11:18:17
Hey, got the final mix of our CD from Rob yesterday.

What do you think?

Drugs All Day

http://www.muf.me.uk/music/drugsallday.mp3

Silent Effusion (AKA 5/8 Monster)

http://www.muf.me.uk/music/silent.mp3

CDs coming soon.

protein
26-03-2005, 11:29:58
You left out the obvious single? Interesting. I reckon bands always promote what they find more interesting music and leave out the simple crowd pleasers.

Our fans/friends/family/whatever go for songs like Style whearas I'd like to promote the newest song - which interestingly nobody has seemed to take to even though we think it's really good.

Funko
26-03-2005, 11:33:09
Which one do you think's the obvious single?

Funko
26-03-2005, 11:37:10
Basically - Drugs All Day seems to be a lot of peoples favourite, shmindie is second most popular favourite but AK wanted to save some stuff off the website to encourage people to buy the CD. Had to be Drugs All Day plus one and we're all loving Silent Effusion at the moment. :)

If the others get radio play then that's awesome. :)

Debaser
26-03-2005, 11:37:51
Originally posted by protein
Our fans/friends/family/whatever go for songs like Style whearas I'd like to promote the newest song - which interestingly nobody has seemed to take to even though we think it's really good.

Is the newest one the one you opened with at South Street? The one with Chris & Alex singing? It's not your best song I don't think, the melody of Chris's chorus sounds quite 80s soft-rock...

Funko
26-03-2005, 11:39:02
I was so drunk I don't remember that... mind you Daylight Fading was your newest song not too long ago and that's amazing.

protein
26-03-2005, 11:54:12
Originally posted by Debaser
Is the newest one the one you opened with at South Street? The one with Chris & Alex singing? It's not your best song I don't think, the melody of Chris's chorus sounds quite 80s soft-rock...
Melody? Oh yeah melody, that's the thing that detracts from the drums innit?

Mike, I thought We Could be Friends would be the popular one. It's a more immediate pop song anyway.

zmama
26-03-2005, 11:57:20
Needs work on the lyrics
and then I'd agree

Funko
26-03-2005, 11:58:58
Yeah... fair enough. It's Tizzy's favourite.

I'm a bit bored of it, and lyrically it's a not amazing. First song we wrote syndrome, but it it's the most accessible structure wise and the recording of it has rejuvinated it for me, does sound great on the CD. :beer:

Personally I think Drugs All Day is the best by miles, but it's also the most modern/current/fashionable one as well... :)

miester gandertak
26-03-2005, 12:15:04
like the song, and the idea

protein
26-03-2005, 12:22:07
If I'm brutally honest and overly critical about drugs all day, I reckon there are large gaps where there could be some singing. There's a pre-chorus and the second half of a chorus but to my taste not enough vocal interest and a bit too much focus on guitar. I suppose it's an album track rather than a single but it could be a single with some more singing. That's personal taste though and it's a cracking track.

Silent Effusion has the best chorus by far. Again, if I'm overly critical I'd say the drums are doing far too much in the verses and taking away from the song. I'd keep the mental drum solo bit at the end but use a beat for the singing bits rather than soloing over them. Also personal taste, some people will love the drums.

We could be friends I think is the most perfect song of the lot. Rocking, good lyrics, good structure, catchy chorus etc.

Shmindy is a lovely track.

protein
26-03-2005, 12:24:57
I wouldn't change anything now though. That would be like going back and adding loads of CGI crap on the first star wars movies.

miester gandertak
26-03-2005, 12:26:24
both needs at least one or two dooooo di doooooo's (i guess funko can doo that with his guitar) but that is my personal opinion.

miester gandertak
26-03-2005, 12:26:52
hellllll everyone needs 1 or 2 doooooo di doooooo's

Tizzy
26-03-2005, 19:17:07
I pretty much agree with protein (someone shoot me now!).
We Could Be Friends is definitely single material, although I do keep getting bits of Drugs All Day stuck in my head.
Not so keen on Schmindy, but that's just personal taste.

jsorense
27-03-2005, 01:51:00
If it isn't ABBA cover I will hate it.:cool:

protein
27-03-2005, 01:53:06
You'll love it. It has all the good bits of ABBA and more.

Debaser
27-03-2005, 02:02:20
If we're being brutally honest here, and I think we are, the #bo be-oow be-oow, bo be-oow be-oow# riff from We Could Be Friends always annoyingly gets stuck in my head for ages, thus making it perfect single material, however the #We could be friends, but we should be lovers# lyrics sound a bit... er.... stalker/rapist.

I think Drugs All Day is the best song by miles, and Schmindie sounds quite *now* in the sence that it has a kind of semi radio-friendly Snow Patrol/Doves sort of *vibe* (I hate that word). I also can't work out if the #I wandered round in wonderment# line is clever or stupid. It's a fine line etc...

protein
27-03-2005, 02:32:13
I think the same about that line. I think it just stands out alot. Probably because my brain expects wonderland and for some reason refuses to accept that wander and wonder rhyme even though they do.

Nills Lagerbaak
30-03-2005, 13:47:26
Silent Effusion? Is that the new name for 5/8 monster? I really like that song, it keeps my interest and vocally I find it quite agreeable.

I'm afraid I don't like we could be lovers, mainly cos the vocals / lyrics sound a little halfhearted.

I'll have to listen to it again, tonight.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-03-2005, 17:26:19
Yes, I listened to it again.....silent effusion is by far my favourite song, it's a "put on repeat" number!

Funko
31-03-2005, 17:27:18
I thought you'd like that one best.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-03-2005, 17:30:16
Yes, I liked it best when I heard only the drums, but I think the lyrics and vocal quality is best also.

The Shaker
31-03-2005, 17:52:07
:lol:

Nills Lagerbaak
01-04-2005, 09:21:56
Not quite what I meant but :lol: anyway.

~I guess why I like the vocals so much is the Black Sabbath quality to them. Nice melody too with some good dynamics. (Nothing worse than a monotone vocalist)