PDA

View Full Version : Galactic Civilizations 2

Darkstar
23-03-2005, 20:06:11
Beta Phase 1 begins *tomorrow*. The die hards are drooling.

Beta Phase 1 is going to be "close" (lockout) pre-orders that happen after tomorrow. People will be able to still pre-order, but if they do it next week, they will miss phase 1 and have to wait until phase 2 to get into the Beta. However, Total Gaming Net subscribers can get into the beta at any time.

Just reminding those who might care.

Darkstar
24-03-2005, 23:32:52
The GC2 forums state that phase 1 GC2 Beta is now availlable.

Of course, you have to pre-order GC2 or be a Total Gaming Network subscriber to participate, but if you are... the beta is up.

Brad said serial numbers for GC2 should be arriving in pre-orderer's email.

Greg W
25-03-2005, 00:50:25
Sad. You have to pity post your own posts. :p

Darkstar
25-03-2005, 04:51:34
I was just alerting those that might care. :D

The current build 1 beta blows up on my computer. SD says that its because they use some new Direct 9c features that aren't fully supported on all graphics cards. I'm going to have to wait until tuesday new build to see if I can get further testing.

However, others are enjoying the beta. :D

Greg W
25-03-2005, 09:35:17
Just nobody here. :p

Darkstar
26-03-2005, 06:31:47
Got it working on my machine! Hurray!

NVidia had just released a new set of drivers for my video card! And that set works! Hurray!

Some real slick bits in this game. The main map's zooming in and out is nice. Ship design lets you build some wicked looking craft. People are going to be liking the final product. :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-03-2005, 03:48:44
Not if the gameplay sucks :) Comment on the gameplay, DS! That's the important bit.

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 05:01:41
Can't. Half the game isn't settled enough to know for sure. This is "Beta 1". It's main focus is about making sure the graphics engine works with the majority of customer hardware, and about making sure the UI isn't totally fucked by idiotic design. So a large portion of the game just isn't there.

For example, the AI isn't. Brad is hooking that up this week, so it can start being tuned for GC2. Without AI, then there isn't much of a SP TBS game. ;) Also, over 50% of the techs are NOT IMPLEMENTED. You just can't research them. But that will be fixed in the next week or two. Most of the facilities that you can build on a planet, don't do anything. Other then fill a tile, at the moment.

Ship design works. It's a bit of a pain at them moment, but you can make some cool looking ships. The UI is going to be cleaned up, and a bunch of the "marker" controls will be hooked up. Make it easier on the user.

But... you can right now, have one big culture war. And since the AI doesn't do much, it's actually much better at fighting a culture war then in GC1. ;)

I'll post useful bits about gameplay as they come along. No worries. GC2 is still very early. Full functionality isn't expected for 6 months. Although Brad says that if they stick close to the GC1 model, GC2 will be full featured in 3.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-03-2005, 06:04:21
So it's not even a beta right now. There's enough missing that it's still part/mostly alpha.

Are you allowed to post screenshots of the cool looking ships?

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 08:39:24
It's a STARDOCK beta. Which is alpha or pre-alpha to every one else. But, SD likes doing things that way. And it does let the die hards feel more involved earlier in the development cycle.

I could. But you can go browse the GC2 site and find cool looking ships. They really should make a "demo" out of the ship builder... to let people see what it can do. :D

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-03-2005, 18:41:04
Not from behind Websense I can't :( The demo would be cool, I agree.

MDA
31-03-2005, 18:49:52
Originally posted by Darkstar
Although Brad says that if they stick close to the GC1 model, GC2 will be full featured in 3.

GC2 will be full featured in GC3? :)

I read the whole Darkstar post. :eek:

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 21:26:56
:lol:

That's GC2 will be full featured in Beta 3. It's not a Firaxis game, you know. ;)

Qaj, can you see this image?
http://www.stardock.com/brad/scratc23.jpg

It's hosted off stardock, which is a commercial apps supplier. So maybe that will get through your Websense. If not, I can grab some screenies and try clipping them so they won't look too bad as attachments here.

I need to pull down the newest build tonight and try it out. More features hooked up. ;)

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 21:32:17
That's two medium hull styles, blinged up to look "Feddie". The curved pylons (blue on the ends, white in the middle) in Feddie engine position are just jewelry. The curved T on the back of upper ship is jewelry. And the overly stylized saucer fronts on both ships are jewelry. I think that one of their artist is too much into Star Trek myself (so much of the human ship jewelry is just stylized Feddie junk). I prefer to design my ships with the non-Feddie decorations...

Anyways, just let me know. If you can access the star dock stuff, I can chase up some more screenies. If not, I guess could stop being a lazy ass for 20 minutes and make some for you.

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 21:34:35
Oh yeah... jewelry is no cost decoration that you can add to ships. To make them "more distinct". And you can stack jewelry on jewelry. The devs said they stacked up 40K of pieces in a couple of their tests. Don't know how they'd have the patience to do that. That's some mad clicking...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-03-2005, 22:44:14
Thanks DS. Looks quite nice. That cube looks interesting - that a ship too, a la the Borg? Or some kind of scale marker? Space station? Useless crap graphics for no reason?

Yep, I can see them, hurrah! IT's usually pretty good about blocking this sort of stuff so that I've stopped looking now. Damn conditioning.

If I were going to stack 40k jewelry pieces on a ship, I'd write an algorithm to do it, instead of clicking. But hey, that's just me - if they clicked 'em on, more power to 'em :)

Darkstar
31-03-2005, 22:54:04
The blue cube is a galactic resource. You build a star base on it, the star base can "harvest" that resource for some advantage to your empire. That's an "influnece" bonus... which makes your culture stronger (letting you culturally take over others easier).

I can chase up some more shots, if you are interested.

JM^3
01-04-2005, 04:33:35
I played a bit of the first game (and convinced my brother to get it)

was intending to get it, but got HoI2 instead

Jon Miller

Darkstar
01-04-2005, 07:57:43
Been playing the latest build. Much better. Still not something to hand out to your friends, but it's improving. :D

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-04-2005, 22:16:28
Originally posted by Darkstar
I can chase up some more shots, if you are interested.

Sure, if you don't mind.

Darkstar
02-04-2005, 02:53:59
Lazy dog! :D You've got DSL from home. You can find all the shots you want from home. :)

I'll look around and see what else I can turn up. ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
02-04-2005, 05:20:42
Well post a link then, in case I can't google it up! (which I'm trying to do now...)

Darkstar
05-04-2005, 06:07:24
Complaints complaints...

Pick a ship to build screen:
http://www.joeuser.com/sdfiles/mormegil/GC2/Starport_Feb.jpg

Designing a ship (red dots are "attach" points for styling extras)
http://www.joeuser.com/sdfiles/mormegil/GC2/SDesign_Feb.jpg

An alpha ship (same hull, different styling extras) blowing something up:
http://www.joeuser.com/joe/Daily022505/o.jpg

And an example of using styling extras to create a variety of ships... which all use the same hull:
http://img86.exs.cx/img86/9932/shipstest3qk.jpg
(note: These are different races ships, which is why they get their own color schema. Player customizable color scheming is planned)

Happy now?

Darkstar
05-04-2005, 06:09:57
Those pics came out of the "journal" section. Just go back a page or two, and you can find those images and more.

Darkstar
08-04-2005, 22:36:48
New beta (build 12) is up. It's very playable (very few CTDs). Unfortunately, the AI isn't hooked up. So it isn't very interesting at this time. AI is due very soon to be hooked up though, last I read.