PDA

View Full Version : Old Question

Gary
17-03-2005, 19:01:41
Been unwell for over a week. Couldn't work up the enthusiasm in this state to close the PC down and reboot, but very early on, could NOT get to this site. If it was many web sites I'd understand, but it's just this site.

Yesterday evening I felt well enough to try an experiment. removed the new Belkin Router / Modem (just in case) and reinstalled the BT supplied modem. Left PC up and running.

No improvement, can still get everywhere but here. (.co.uk was as equally inaccessible as .com)

Anyone any idea what the cause might be ? (Wondering about the Kerio fire wall now but unsure how/what to check there.)

What can it be about Counterglow that something is so keen to make unavailable ? No (intentional) censorship has EVER been applied to this PC. Very confused.

Gary
17-03-2005, 19:02:53
Oh, before anyone takes the piss, I've now rebooted the PC (obviously)

Spartak
17-03-2005, 20:36:18
Doh. The site was down for over 24 hours.

Gary
17-03-2005, 21:01:35
It's stretching things to assume a 9 day blockage was down to a 24 hour site down (although if the 24 hours was about 9 days ago it might account for .co.uk).

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Gary
17-03-2005, 23:48:11
THE DAMN .COM ONE HAS BLOCKED AGAIN ALREADY !?!?!?!?!?

This is way beyond a joke.

Spartak
17-03-2005, 23:54:29
have you tried pinging the site or running a tracert?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
18-03-2005, 05:09:36
Have you checked to see if the HOSTS file is, for some reason, mapping it to some other address?

How about if you're using a proxy? Is www.counterglow.com designated a "local" site somehow?

Lastly, check the security tab in IE (if you're using it) and make sure counterglow (either flavor) isn't entered in the list of restricted sites.

Really lastly, turn off your firewall, and see if it works. Obviously, not forever. Just long enough to determine if it's to blame. Then turn it back on :)

Darkstar
18-03-2005, 08:55:10
Tracert.

CG's host went unavailable for a while... again. Tracert showed it was the same fail point as when it was lost for a whole day.

Funko
18-03-2005, 09:09:31
Originally posted by Gary
THE DAMN .COM ONE HAS BLOCKED AGAIN ALREADY !?!?!?!?!?

This is way beyond a joke.

.com was down for everyone for over 24 hours?

Darkstar
18-03-2005, 09:16:04
As was co.uk.
Hard failure at the host data center.

Funko
18-03-2005, 09:31:09
Yeah, I know. was wondering if that was Gary's problem.

Gary
18-03-2005, 11:41:04
Originally posted by Spartak
have you tried pinging the site or running a tracert? Yeah it's this same problem posted here when I thought it was a fault at the Counterglow site end (http://www.counterglow.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27174)

This is becoming too common for it to be something other than a bad setting blocking me somehow, I'd have thought.

Gary
18-03-2005, 11:57:42
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Have you checked to see if the HOSTS file is, for some reason, mapping it to some other address?

How about if you're using a proxy? Is www.counterglow.com designated a "local" site somehow?

Lastly, check the security tab in IE (if you're using it) and make sure counterglow (either flavor) isn't entered in the list of restricted sites.

Really lastly, turn off your firewall, and see if it works. Obviously, not forever. Just long enough to determine if it's to blame. Then turn it back on :)

Can you remind me where hosts is as a search didn't spot it. Do tend to use IE but IIRC Firefox fails to get here too. Can not see site listed in restricted list, either as name or IP numerical address.

Arrhhh !!! I'm going to go spare, just tried Firefox, it got through to .com. Amazed as it contradicted earlier attempt tests I tried IE and now it can see .com again ! This is unbelievable.

I CAN NOT believe this is due to Counterglow going down, it wasn't down for 12 days was it !? At best Counterglow going down may have triggered a knock on effect but this still doesn't make sense.

Meanwhile, proxy ? Only if Kerio is doing it for some reason.

I'll take a deep breath and try the firewall off thing when the problem returns as I am totally sure it will.

Cheers

Gary
18-03-2005, 12:01:39
Originally posted by Funko
.com was down for everyone for over 24 hours? Like I mentioned, I have difficulty associating a genuine 24 hour site problem, however far in the past it was, to my not being able to get here since about the 10th (OK I couldn't find the enthusiasm to reboot but...)

I'm going to have to keep my eye on this I guess but rightly or wrongly I don't see this as being that simple. It's not as if it's only happened once. Nor does it (normally- today seeming to be an exception) just come back again.

Funko
18-03-2005, 12:02:42
You didn't mention a 9 day blockage in your first post. :p Be more specific.

zmama
18-03-2005, 12:16:54
Sorry Gary if you can't be arsed to reboot how can anyone here help you?

Funko
18-03-2005, 12:36:10
If rebooting fixed it before and you can't be bothered to reboot...

er...

:bash: frankly.

Gary
18-03-2005, 13:39:34
Hardly stops it happening does it. Didn't get broadband to be rebooting every day.

Bit like the doc saying... "So you get regular headaches, well if you don't take aspirin how can I help ?"

Funko
18-03-2005, 13:47:12
I was having DNS issues on my old PC, got my new one, hard coded the DNS address for my ISP into the DNS settings on the machine and now have no problems.

I turn my computer off every day anyway.

zmama
18-03-2005, 14:34:20
I reboot everyday at least once, maybe twice.

Darkstar
18-03-2005, 16:30:48
I finally rebooted my main machine at home, after 3 months uptime. It's a Win XP machine. But that isn't unusual for me... I averaged up times of up to a month back when I was running 98. Several months is pretty easy with NT or 2K.

You shouldn't need to reboot every day, not even for Windoze. Not unless you are running very crappy programs. Something much worse then M$ Office, anyways. ;)

zmama
18-03-2005, 16:36:17
Um photoshop and dossbox and games seem to be the main culprits for me

Darkstar
18-03-2005, 16:42:29
Photoshop... that explains it. ;)

I ran a lot of DosBos these past 4 months since my last reboot. Playing a lot of old games on the machine. No problems there for me. Also a lot of games (non-DosBox) on the box... SMACAX, MoO2, Civ2:ToT, RCT3, some Sims2, just to name some memory greedy (and occasionally leaky) ones.

I found a new repeatible bug in SMACAX that I kept hitting every couple of hours. I still didn't lose significant memory resources with my XP. XP has impressed me at managing to clean up decently (compared to previous M$ OS) after a nasty crash.

zmama
18-03-2005, 17:04:58
Oh yes, XP is much better.

And yes photoshop is a resource hog. There is never enough processor or mem to keep it fed..always wants more.