PDA

View Full Version : Bands that don't include the title of the song in the lyrics are cunts

Scabrous Birdseed
14-03-2005, 16:01:16
'Strue. Not that I actively disprove of the practice per se, but on a purelely empirical basis it can be established that there's a vast overrepresentation of crap bands in this category.

Look at this list:

http://tinyurl.com/6qpoa

It's the dregs of the worst of emo, prog rock, 70s metal, post-punk, post-grunge and indie pretension. It contains a few decent bands and songs but compared to a completely random samping of all music ever made it's still statistically significantly crapper.

King_Ghidra
14-03-2005, 16:32:45
The Mars Volta
"Cicatriz ESP"
"Inertiatic ESP"
"drunkship of lanterns"
"eriatarka"
"this apparatus must be unearthed"
"televators"

excellent turnout

i don't agree in principle, but it does inidcate a certain tendency towards pretentiousness. I'm not against that, it's all very well calling a turd a turd but why not use some artistic licence.

Gramercy Riffs
14-03-2005, 17:03:47
Its quite intriguing I think.

How Soon Is Now? - by The Smiths for example.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-03-2005, 17:11:28
Seeing as that list is very, vary far from being complete, isn't it more a damning critique on the musical tastes of the sort of people who look up (and contribute to) stupid lists on wikipedia?

That's a theory with more substance, I'm sure.

BigGameHunter
20-03-2005, 00:46:42
You must read this:

(From a pretty good local weekly 'zine)

http://www.portlandmercury.com/2005-03-10/pullout_toc.html

~An excerpt~
"Polyphonic Spree The Beginning Stages of... (2003)

This one's for the British snobs, those NME-fed hype-junkies. The way The Beginning is talked up you'd imagine 29 angel-pure voices harmonizing symphonic like Beach Boys and Girls about god and group sex and poison punch. Not even close. The music itself is plain ol' indie pop. Yep, behind the flowing white robes and let's-go-down-to-the-river-and-pray schtick, the emperor is totally naked, pasty, and has back zits. Anyway, when your bandleader is the dude from Tripping Daisy, you're in for a stinky ride down Crap River."

Debaser
20-03-2005, 10:20:22
Nobody here has any real respect for the Polyphonic Spree. They are basically Mercury Rev Lite, and everyone knows it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-03-2005, 10:27:32
MC5 Kick Out the Jams (1969)

The MC5 were total crap, and Kick Out the Jams is their definitive crap statement--a hippie rock record that tries desperately to be anything but. Recorded live at Detroit's Grande Ballroom, Kick Out grinds on too long (its 36+ minutes feel like 3,600), shapeless and with a forced, "hip" revolutionary vibe. Sheer boredom. I'll give a gold star to anyone that listens to this shitfest all the way through without drumming their fingers or doodling pyramids, swastikas, and googly eyes on a piece of junkmail.

Rolling Stones Exile on Main St. (1972)

The greatest rock band of the late '60s/early '70s. More world-crushing hits than you have MySpace and Friendster friends. Sure. True. Still, as much as the snobs parade Exile as the band's "best record EVER," it's actually their weakest pre-1982 work. Exile's songs are some of the Stones' least catchy, most passionless, not to mention murky and full of cool-dude-drunk-rockstar posturing. Follow your heart, ear, and brain on this one, and the truth will be revealed. Exile is sub-par.

I'll not argue with either of those.

Funko
21-03-2005, 09:53:02
I can't believe Polyphonic Spree made it onto such a list, unless that's the final insult to the other bands on it.

*End Is Forever*
22-03-2005, 21:30:11
There's some damned stupid people contributing to that list.

Immortal Wombat
23-03-2005, 21:44:52
Lamb Hungry Dog Child
Painless