PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice 2.0 Beta

Sir Penguin
12-03-2005, 12:06:42
I just installed reinstalled XP (I got a legal copy), so I figured I'd take the chance to check out the OpenOffice 2.0 beta (version 1.9.79). It looks much, much snazzier than the stable version--less like the old Corel office suite, and more like MS Office. It has an auto-spell checker that's on by default (I don't know if the stable version doesn't have an auto-spell checker, or if it's just off by default). Most importantly for me, it has a format painter function, which is one of the things I missed most from MS Office.

The word processor toolbars look more complete, although I don't really have anything against which I can compare them. I don't remember what's on them in the stable version. This version seems a lot faster than the current stable version, but I don't know if that's from optimizations or from me having Java 5.0.

They've added a whole new application, OpenOffice Base, which is an Access replacement. It seems to have the basic stuff included--tables, forms, queries, reports, macros--but I've found the interface to be less intuitive than Access's. I haven't explored it very much. It's not as stable as it could be, but it is brand new software, and a beta version.

All in all, I'm quite pleased. I understand that MS Office compatibility is improved too, which will be nice. I still won't trust it for production documents though.

SP