PDA

View Full Version : ABOUT BLANK : how to remove....

BigGameHunter
07-03-2005, 20:15:04
I've got this damn browser hijacker in my system and it is brutal. Spybot does not seem to have any effect on it....
It seems to hijack my IE page (set to my.yahoo normally, but redirected now) and enables pop ups every time I try to go to a new page.

Is there any freeware or manual deletion method(s)????

Spartak
07-03-2005, 20:32:38
Try Xofspy
http://www.paretologic.com/support/

Nav
07-03-2005, 23:31:23
Try Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-03-2005, 04:23:16
Try (bleah) Micrsoft Spyware tool. It's got a section that will re-jigger all your settings good and proper. It also gets rid of spyware, which is a nice side effect.

Get it now while it's still a free beta!

Darkstar
08-03-2005, 07:56:51
Adaware is always a recommeded "to try". as well.
Site: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Gary
08-03-2005, 09:44:37
Best of luck :( (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-44,GGLD:en&q=hijack+this)

MDA
08-03-2005, 18:47:48
"Hijack this" website helped me figure out what I had (coolwebsearch), and had an uninstall tool, but I still had to manually edit about 10 different registry entries the little fucker had made. :bash:

That was over a year ago and I'm still pissed. I've gotta let it go.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
09-03-2005, 00:59:39
DS, Ad-aware (and Spybot) are the generally recommended tools of choice for spyware-savvy people, but a recent report says they're not all they're cracked up to be, missing about hald the spyware out there (and that's with constant updates).

But then, they are free. To get better you gotta pay (or use the MS one, as noted above, while it's still free. GIANT AntiSpyware used to be the cream of the crop. Let's see if Bill and co. kill it now they own it).

protein
09-03-2005, 08:54:24
Download firefox and use that instead.

BigGameHunter
09-03-2005, 22:40:46
I am currently using firefox to great effect. However, I will be buying some software this paycheck...would like something that both tunes up and cleans up/kills pests.

Suggestions?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-03-2005, 01:01:07
Linspire?

BigGameHunter
10-03-2005, 01:07:49
Never heard of it...I'm looking for super strong, long shelf life and extreme user interface ease in my utility program.

Currently, I can't even defrag my system 'cause something that I can't discern is always writing to the registry or some crap. I've got a "crcb" file that seems new and always freezes my system and a DOS "matcli" (or something) program that appears in my toolbar on setup now....

I want it all to go away...have contemplated reloading original op system with manufacturer disk...but that's a bit drastic considering all the photos of the kids and crap I have on my PC right now...

Just want to root out the aliens and send them home. Dead.

zmama
10-03-2005, 02:51:18
As far as I know that doesn't exist...the utility you described

And BGH...defrag in safe mode

As to those other files...copy down the exact file name and do a google search on the file.

zmama
10-03-2005, 02:53:10
AND copy those pictures to cd...along with any other stuff in My documents, saved games, bookmarks, saved emails. All that

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-03-2005, 04:19:45
BGH, you don't specify which operating system you've got. If it's less than Win2k, buy a new one. XP or 2000, they're both pretty stable (though XP will have more and better support, obviously).

If it is, go with zmama's advice - burn every last bit of data you need to keep (need, not want - photos, documents etc. No programs or anything like that unless you absolutely have to). Triple check it's all backed up (can't be too careful) then re-install the O/S after formating the drive. The install disk should an option for this.

If you don't have a CD or DVD burner, get one. They're $50, and aren't your photos worth that much? :D I don't know how computer savvy you are, but these days they come in plug and play USB variety, you can't screw up installation of that :)

Even the best computer geeks know that sometimes the best thing you can do to clean a PC of crap is to blow it away and start from scratch. ESPECIALLY with a non-NTFS version of Windows (ie. pre-2k). I've done it countless times with 95 and 98, and three installs (two re-installs) of XP in 3 years.

Sir Penguin
10-03-2005, 04:32:19
CD burners are C$30. That's, like, US$25. Plus the cost of some blank CDs, so add in a couple more dollars. How much more does that cost than maintenance software?

In any case, don't bother with maintenance software; it's mostly crap, and doesn't do anything you can't do for free with an OS reinstall and some protective measures.

SP

Darkstar
10-03-2005, 05:36:03
Definately move all your important data to backup NOW. And try to keep backups of such things.

Definately make sure you can copy back your important data from your backup to a machine, and that the file is still good.

Since your system is so trashed, "don't cross the streams." There lots of nasty stuff out there that deletes or "pretends" to be your pics (renames copies of itself as your pic names). So if you have backups from before your troubles, don't drag them out. Just back up your data, and once you have confirmed all your data is good... zap that drive!

If your drive is chocked full of data, then getting a new external drive, and drop all your important data on that drive. Validate the data files (pics, text files, etc) are good, and then rebuild.

Qaj, I had notice that Spybot hasn't issued an update in a while. Ad-aware does for its free version. I do run the occasional other checkers. But I don't have a commercial product other then my AV at this time. Anything freaky though, and I'm off to Google and Hijack This. ;)

Sir Penguin
10-03-2005, 05:41:00
I got freaked out the other day by a process that was eating 300 MB of RAM. I killed it and looked up the executable name, and it turns out it was Spybot S&D. D'oh.

SP

Venom
10-03-2005, 19:37:45
Ad-aware...then Hijack This...and then, if it's still fucked, back up and rebuild. Shit happens sometimes.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-03-2005, 17:18:16
As luck would have it, Brian Livingston (www.windowssecrets.com) put out a newletter today with the following story:

New info: PC World has crowned Sunbelt Software CounterSpy 1.0 as the winner of exhaustive anti-adware tests the magazine published in its April 2005 issue. The review finds that CounterSpy, an inexpensive $20 program for individual PCs, removed 85% of the 81 infectious files and processes the magazine used as a test bed.

PC World also tested the beta version of Microsoft AntiSpyware. The beta program removed a few more infections than CounterSpy, but the MS entrant was allowed to use a later database of malware. Because the results weren't comparable, the magazine didn't rank the beta app against the other nine contenders. Since CounterSpy uses the same database as MS AntiSpyware (plus other databases), Sunbelt's program is probably equal to or better than Microsoft's and will continue to improve. There appears to be no reason to use both programs.

CounterSpy and HijackThis together remove 100% of adware. Most importantly, PC World found that only one combination of tested anti-adware programs currently removes every threat. That combo is CounterSpy and HijackThis. The latter program produces a detailed list of every process that's occupying memory. This allows you to remove some tough pests left over after scanning with CounterSpy.

Several online forums provide free help to interpret the technical output from HijackThis. These forums are described in the HijackThis log recommendations provided by anti-adware guru Eric Howes. You'll also want to read the HijackThis Quick Start and the HijackThis tutorial.

If you've already purchased Webroot Software's Spy Sweeper because it was previously rated as a good addition to Giant AntiSpyware (the predecessor to MS AntiSpyware), don't despair. PC World found Spy Sweeper 3.2 to be a strong competitor to CounterSpy, removing 81% of the tested infections. This one-two ranking is reinforced by tests published last month in eWeek Magazine. The glossy weekly rated CounterSpy Enterprise and Spy Sweeper Enterprise as the winner and a close runner-up, respectively, in a review of centrally managed anti-adware for small to medium business networks.

So HijackThis seems to be the go! Incidentally, it was the WindowsSecrets newsletter that highlighted the stats for the various adware removal tools - whole article here (http://windowssecrets.com/050127/)

Here's the stats:

Product Adware Fixed False Pos.
Giant AntiSpyware 63% 0
Webroot Spy Sweeper 48% 0
Ad-Aware SE Personal 47% 0
Pest Patrol 41% 10
SpywareStormer 35% 0
Intermute SpySubtract Pro 34% 0
PC Tools Spyware Doctor 33% 0
Spybot Search & Destroy 33% 0
McAfee AntiSpyware 33% 9
Xblock X-Cleaner Deluxe 31% 1
XoftSpy 27% 3
NoAdware 24% 0
Aluria Spyware Eliminator 23% 3
OmniQuad AntiSpy 16% 1
Spyware COP 15% 0
SpyHunter 15% 1
SpyKiller 2005 15% 2

BigGameHunter
15-03-2005, 07:59:02
Adaware doesn't seem to have killed it. It's gotten a bit funky...system keeps hanging. Mozilla has quelled all of my browsing issues (though it hangs now and again) but my system resources seem gobbled up.
There are a couple of neat utilities out there for defragging as an alternate to Windows defrag:
FreeRam XPPro 1.40
RAM Def 2.6 XTREME! (ha ha!)

Anywho...I'm not a complete idjit. My PC is running 98 and yes, I do have CD writer.
I just was avoiding the reinstall cause I don't have a lot of time to hunt around my PC for things I want...as it happens to resemble the rest of my world: i.e: organized chaos!

That's probably the route I'll go. This thing has to last me a year or two more.

zmama
15-03-2005, 13:11:45
Ah, 98 needs to be reinstalled at least once a year if you use your computer a bit.

And you don't need the utilities...just defrag in safe mode. Since you aren't a complete idjit you know how to do that ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-03-2005, 19:25:10
Defrag using the Microsoft supplied defragger... ugh.

I'm with zmama - reinstall every year to keep your PC fresh and healthy!

BigGameHunter
20-03-2005, 01:28:18
I'm going to re-install if I ever get the time.

Someone needs to write a simple program to notate (upon installation?) which things you would want to keep in the eventuality of a re-install.
Then I could press one button and start doing drag and drop.

Hmmm...does "Find" have a "popularity" condition in "Advanced"???

Venom
20-03-2005, 02:30:08
No.

BigGameHunter
22-03-2005, 11:06:28
It should goddamit.

Venom
22-03-2005, 14:02:51
I'm sure people would complain about software spying on how you use your system.

Spartak
22-03-2005, 23:23:26
Why has no one suggested taking a flame thrower to the PC?