PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for XBox games?

Greg W
05-03-2005, 10:54:45
Just bought one today, along with:
Halo 2
Bard's Tale
Mechassault 2: Lone Wolf
Otogi: Myth of Demons

Only really played around with Otogi (run around and beat up demons with a sword to save the world), and Bard's Tale (run around being sarcastic to people, killing things, oh, and getting laid :D ).

What I'd liek to try is some good Japanese RPGs (hey, reading Shogun is inspiring me, what can I say). Shame that FF is Nintendo only, well, until their creator starts working on the XBox2 anyway, which he was hired to do recently.

HelloKitty
05-03-2005, 20:43:14
Otogi is awesome.

Here is what I have.

Soul Calibur 2
KOTOR
KOTOR 2
Fable (don't bother)
Ninja Gaiden (a game so hard you will cry, but love it)
Prince of Persia (the first one, not the second)

Those will keep you busy.

Greg W
05-03-2005, 21:13:08
I have KOTOR for the PC, and am not sure if I'd prefer KOTOR2 for the PC as well or for the XBoX now that I have one. Is KOTOR for the XBoX all actioney (aka Otogi), or turn based like its PC counterpart?

BTW, I have only played it for all of 2 hours, but if you like classic fantasy RPGs with a very humorous edge, try out Bard's Tale. It's damned funny. :)

HelloKitty
06-03-2005, 00:19:15
I have never played KOTOR on the PC, so I don't knwo how it is turn based.

You can set it to pause every round so you can choose your attacks etc.

It isn't a press a button as fast as you can thing.

Christoph
06-03-2005, 16:18:20
XBox and PC versions are the same. If you want a game that'l stretch your XBox's graphics, get Riddick - Escape From Butcher Bay. It's awsome.

Best racing games IMO are - Burnout 3 (shit on live)
Moto GP 2
PGR2

FPS
Halo 2
Halo
XIII
Riddick
Doom 3
Rainbow Six 3

I also recomend all the splinter cells. They never fail to impress. Full Spectrum Warrior is an amazing game.

Kitty, whats wrong with POP Warrior Within? I thought it was a kickin' rad game! It's difficult though, I had to do it on normal, hard was too hard.

There are loads of great games to choose from!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-03-2005, 04:37:40
Lessee now... Santa brought us:

Simpsons: Hit and Run
Magic: the Gathering - Battlegrounds
Dungeons and Dragons Heroes
XMen Legends
Mechwarrior
Harry Potter Quiddich World Cup
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
Midtown Madness 3
Midway Arcade Treasures
Midway Arcade Treasures 2
Dead or Alive 3
Fairly Oddparents - Breakin' da Rules
Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom

Keep in mind, this is a kids gaming machine.

Since Christmas, we've also picked up (from the older kids dad):

Fable
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

The most popular ones thus far have been (in order of populatity):
- Fable (yes, very short, but it looks nice, and the kids love it, but this is one you should RENT or borrow)
- Simpsons: Hit and Run (think Grand Theft Auto without all the ethically dubious bits, colorful and quite fun until the end which is tough and, some say, tedious)
- X-Men Legends (a nice game, but play it by yourself - the AI is superior to your teammates, and there won't be any fights over who gets to play Wolverine)
Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes (A nice top down RPG with a crappy map
- Spongebob (Oddly enough, this is as much fun for me as for the kids, and I usually detest platform jumpers)
- Need for Speed (but I find there's only so much driving around in a "circle" one can do at any time)

The Midway titles are great if you have nostalgia over old 8-bit or arcade games. Ah, the hours we've whiled away so far with Rampage, Gauntlet 2, Joust, Klax, and sundry others.

Worst of the lot is the Fairly Oddparents one. It sounds like they transcribed the sound off old wax cylinders used in 1920's era grammophones. And the pacing sucks. And the story. But I dount that'd appeal to you anyway :D

All the others are so-so to okay. Though DoA3 is tough! Are all modern fighting games that complex re: sheer number of moves, combos etc??

(All the above is without the XBox Live facility - don't have broadband, not willing to pay for it anyhow).

Darkstar
08-03-2005, 08:24:36
Originally posted by Greg W
What I'd liek to try is some good Japanese RPGs (hey, reading Shogun is inspiring me, what can I say). Shame that FF is Nintendo only, well, until their creator starts working on the XBox2 anyway, which he was hired to do recently.

Be careful what you wish for.

I ended up using some accumulated gift cards to get a PS2 and Star Ocean: Til the End of Time. On another forum I go to, it has gotten great recommendations from people that I trust (I've played a lot of the other games they've talked about, so I know their bias). Anyways, it's a full blown Japanese console RPG. That includes a lot of the needless grind. I'm on the find the last mega-boss, kill the last mega-boss and save the mult-universe... but I need another week of grinding to level up so I can get past the obstacle monsters to get to the final adventure area. Funny thing is, I'm told by those who have played it, that I'm going to mega-kick the ass of boss ultimate in about 10 seconds with my current party. Leveling up is just going to make it a worse ass kicking I'm going to give everything else once I can get more then just the main hero to live through the obstacle monsters.

Man, I hate grinding to be able to handle the "chokehold trash" between adventure areas. Now I remember why I don't do Japanese console RPGs too often... ;)

Of course, other then the level grind, Star Ocean is a fun game. A little more foreshadowed then earlier games (meaning, there are fewer actual surprises to the player, since they've spent at least 3 or 4 "chapters" foreshadowing all revelations in the game), but I've noticed the contemporary console RPGs are like that. Guess they don't want to risk "shocking" the players these days with actual twists...

Goob
08-03-2005, 15:33:39
I've got a PC with a decent mid level graphics card, it needs a bit of tweaking with some games, but otherwise its ok. PLus we have a Gamecube for me and the boys.

IS it worth it to get an XBox?

I'm playing KotOR on the PC now and loving it. I've played Rainbow Six on the xbox and loved it, I'm sure I would enjoy Halo/Halo2.

I've got $150 in available cash/gift cards to spend at Best Buy, so I could either get an XBox (Plus spend a little extra to get at least one game), or load up on PC games/Gamecube games and music.

zmama
08-03-2005, 15:38:00
Me, I'd go for the PC/gamecube and music route. ...or a PS2, but thats just because of the games I like.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
09-03-2005, 01:06:12
Goob: any games only available on XBox that take your fancy? If not, don't bother. If you think Halo2 is worth $190+, go for it! :D Plus it's on the PC, isn't it?

I'd consider a PS2 also. LARGE stock of games to choose from (though many are old, they're still good, and CHEAP). But I don't have one, so what would I know?

Keep in mind also that within a year or two the next gen of consoles will be out with some kick-ass games to go with them. Might consider keeping your GC until then, and upgrading when they come out.

Goob
09-03-2005, 05:26:15
I haven't looked at too many specific titles.

I'm interested in the X Box Live, and I am interested in not worrying about whether a particular game will run on my PC, yada yada.

Its more of a perspective change. I would stop looking at my PC as my primary gaming platform and have an XBox/PSX fill that role.

There are some games on the Gamecube that I like, but I'm not convinced there are as many thre as with the XBox/PSX option.

Sir Penguin
09-03-2005, 05:33:03
But with consoles you have to use that ridiculous controller.

SP

King_Ghidra
09-03-2005, 09:09:25
soul calibur 2
burnout 3 takedown

both great games

i happen to think dead or alive beach volleyball is pretty awesome, even if the narrow-minded might think it's a load of wank candy

maroule
09-03-2005, 11:52:35
probably the biggest advantage of the XBOX vs PC is that you (potentially) get a much bigger screen

Funko
09-03-2005, 12:51:57
Most PCs can have a TV out now.

Asher
09-03-2005, 16:06:32
Most PCs are not easily used infront of a TV, and most PC games look way worse than Xbox games do in low-resolution.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
09-03-2005, 21:36:45
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
soul calibur 2
burnout 3 takedown

both great games

i happen to think dead or alive beach volleyball is pretty awesome, even if the narrow-minded might think it's a load of wank candy

Would you think it was as great a game if it featured, say, British politicians instead of nicely rendered beachbunnies?

zmama
10-03-2005, 02:43:05
Thats sounds better to me :D

Seeing those overstuffed blithering fools (politicians in general) trying to play volleyball would be a hoot!

King_Ghidra
10-03-2005, 08:59:55
of course i would qaj, just as all computer games would benefit from a similar transposition of lead characters

Darkstar
10-03-2005, 09:05:41
It would be great to shoot them up in Doom and similar games! :D

Shining1
10-03-2005, 15:21:10
Can't see it working in Tetris tho.

zmama
10-03-2005, 15:37:26
True...unless it's blobby tetris

Could work in diamond mine/bejeweled

Oh and read yer pms?

Christoph
12-03-2005, 13:11:17
if you don't already have a console yet, DON'T get one. The hardware is seriously old now, and the price you pay for them is stupidly high. If you want a PS2, get a cheap PC and an Emulator. Same goes for GC and XBox.