PDA

View Full Version : Rebus single!

protein
04-03-2005, 21:00:30
You can buy the rebus single now! Be the first on your block, the envy of your friends etc etc.

www.sugarrush.co.uk

Debaser
05-03-2005, 02:21:31
My, what a pretty website your record company has.

:nervous:

protein
05-03-2005, 10:28:07
Yeah, some monkey did it.

zmama
05-03-2005, 11:15:05
Kinda gay...but it'll do ;)

Funko
07-03-2005, 14:05:27
Shame it's all graphics.

Debaser
07-03-2005, 14:33:34
Why? Just 'cos it isn't how you make sites?

Funko
07-03-2005, 14:49:08
Because it can't be indexed by search engines, text can't be resized which is an issue for people with any kind of visual impairement, it can't be copied and pasted and it takes longer to load.

Debaser
07-03-2005, 14:50:08
But what are the downsides?

protein
07-03-2005, 14:55:09
It looks good and people are only going to go there if they follow a link or read about it.

Funko
07-03-2005, 15:05:04
If you put Rebus Single into google you get Josaka as the top link (mostly text, extremely well indexed because Kevin is good at that stuff) and not Sugarrush or the Rebus site.

The official rebus site and the label site aren't on the first three pages - I didn't look any further.

Frankly that is rubbish, they should be the first two links. If Rebus continue doing well people will be searching for them!

If you put Sugarrush in you do get the sugarrush site as the third link but because there's no text google has nothing to say about it - no help at all!

You could improve things on the sugarrush site with good meta tags if there is no text.

Rebus site has:
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="rebus band indie rebus synth reading gigs berkshire alex steve chris rob rebustheband">

You probably really want both "keywords" and a "description" META tag. Because you have no text google would use the description tag to say what the site was.

Josaka has:

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="josaka,live,music,Reading,Berkshire,Gig,guide,news ,reviews,venues,resources,classifieds,discussion,f orum,features,">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="josaka supports live music in Berkshire. Gig guide, news, reviews, venues, resources, classifieds, discussion forum and features.">

Funko
07-03-2005, 15:06:42
It does look really nice though. I'm trying to help not criticize. :)

protein
07-03-2005, 15:11:44
Like I said, people are going to go there following links or from reading the address on CDs, flyers, magazines etc.

If you are going to search for "rebus single" in google then you probably already know where to get it.

protein
07-03-2005, 15:12:44
Unless you are just typing random word into google in the vein hope of trying to find a single by a uk indie band.

Funko
07-03-2005, 15:23:19
What if people just hear the tune on the radio?

What if you lose the flyer?

What if you just have someone talking about how they heard a single by someone called Rebus on the radio and really liked it and you want to find the site?

I think that's a silly, shortsighted argument and no reason not to do a very simple thing to improve your chances of getting good search hits.

zmama
07-03-2005, 15:25:57
No, listen to Funko.

Why be stubborn about adding a line to the code that would make it easier to find the band? I often will read about something and then not have the address around, so go to google to find

And it's vain...unless it's a vampire band

Funko
07-03-2005, 15:27:24
Anyway I sent Alex an e-mail about adding a description tag to the rebus site so maybe he'll do that.

Debaser
07-03-2005, 15:31:29
If you type Sugarrush into Google we're the third site that comes up...

Funko
07-03-2005, 15:35:40
*ahem*

Originally posted by Funko
If you put Sugarrush in you do get the sugarrush site as the third link but because there's no text google has nothing to say about it - no help at all!

protein
07-03-2005, 15:40:13
I'm not being stubborn at all. It's nothing to do with me. I'm grateful for all the work debaser has put into the site and I think it looks great and it is perfectly functional. The single has sold pretty well online so far (probably due to drowned in sound and a few fans).

I doubt your average indie band fan will look at the site and start tutting and complaining about missing hidden codes and tags etc. They'll hopefully buy the single or find out the self preservation/cockoo club gig information whilst admiring the pretty site.

We haven't been played on proper radio yet. I'm sure by the time we have a decent plugger we'd have a different label or at least a larger label supporting the sugar rush and a team of internet geeks putting all the invisible codes they want on the sites.

Funko
07-03-2005, 15:47:03
You seem to be taking it personally. If you've got a constructive suggestion about guitar sounds or recording or something I listen to you, why not just take constructive advice about something where I'm the expert. :p

It's a very simple and useful thing to do that makes peoples lives easier. It's not some geeky thing, it's one of the fundamental bits of web design.

Eklektikos
07-03-2005, 15:53:42
Eh, I think Funko's right here. There have been loads of occasions when I've seen a decent band I've never really heard of supporting the band I went to the gig to see and have subsequently followed that up by googling their name.

For example you're playing tonight at Dirtyprettythings then touring as far away as Leeds, where I'm guessing not everyone will know who you are - but might well want to after they've heard you. Why make it harder than necessary for them to find out about you and when you're next playing in their area, or maybe buy your single if they didn't get around to it at the gig?

protein
07-03-2005, 16:05:31
I'm not saying he's wrong about the indexing thing but it's a minor detail. It's like me hating the bass sound on a four track demo and not actually listening to the song.

"Shame it's all graphics" wasn't a very constructive way of helping and it's actually something I disagree with. The graphics look fantastic and that's the sort of image that sugar rush and rebus want to be associated with.

King_Ghidra
07-03-2005, 16:12:43
Originally posted by protein
"Shame it's all graphics" wasn't a very constructive way of helping and it's actually something I disagree with. The graphics look fantastic and that's the sort of image that sugar rush and rebus want to be associated with.

He didn't just say that he said:

Because it can't be indexed by search engines, text can't be resized which is an issue for people with any kind of visual impairement, it can't be copied and pasted and it takes longer to load.

Which is extremely constructive.

Funko
07-03-2005, 16:15:47
So then I gave a practical solution which would allow some of those concerns to be fixed whilst still retaining it being all graphics!

And there's no reason you can't have a high quality of website design that mixes text and graphics. Your own Bleeding Ear site is a great example. (although that could use having meta tags added too)

Funko
07-03-2005, 16:16:45
Anyway, I mainly said that because Debaser bigged up his own site and he and I have been having a jovial banter back and forth about the concept of all graphic sites for ages. :D

protein
07-03-2005, 16:20:40
and the bigger picture is that the site works, it looks great and is serving the function it was supposed to. people are following the link from our site and buying the single.

job done. :beer:

Funko
07-03-2005, 16:24:42
It's just that stuff like this to me is as annoying as booming toms is to you. ;) And you saying it's fine as it is is as annoying as Iain saying "don't fight the drums". I know I'm right. :D

Immortal Wombat
07-03-2005, 16:37:43
Replacing the word "our" with "Rebus'" in your sig would be good Google-fodder as well.
:nervous:

Debaser
07-03-2005, 16:52:06
Mike is absolutely right, all that stuff would improve things. It's just that I don't know how to do it. :(

But like Rob said, it serves it function more than adequately so... *shrug*

Funko
07-03-2005, 16:53:15
:D

You should have an option in whatever software you are using to generate the pages to add meta tags.

Debaser
07-03-2005, 16:57:40
I probably do, but that would mean reading the manual or help files, and doing that would compromise my punk-rock sensibilities.

Gramercy Riffs
07-03-2005, 17:02:59
Never.
Read.
A.
Manual.

Funko
08-03-2005, 09:16:33
Ah well the sites are very punk. All image and no substance. ;)

Spartak
08-03-2005, 17:31:39
Best Thread Evah! And congrats on the single. How much is it?

Funko
08-03-2005, 17:32:24
3.50 inc p&p