PDA

View Full Version : Console emulators for the PC

Greg W
03-03-2005, 12:04:20
Anyone heard anything about them? Specifically XBox/PS2? just been reading up on a few console games that I wouldn't mind trying, but not sure yet if I want to part with $250AUD to buy a console that I may end up not liking...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2005, 18:32:22
I heard XBox emulators are crippled by the fact you can't run XBox DVDs on a regular PC drive. You have to get an actual XBox DVD player and hack it to work in a PC, either through direct hardware interface, or running a cable to a modded XBox (in either case, you already need an XBox, so why bother?). Though ISO images someone else made using an XBox drive might work.

Then there's incompatability issues to worry about regarding the rest of your hardware.

The only XBox emu that I've heard that works even a little bit plays a single game (Turok or something) and parts of others. Given time, they might work it out, but that drive issue is a stinker.

I'm not at all sure about the state of PS2 emus. Google could tell you.

Nav
03-03-2005, 22:07:00
Probably not worth the effort. All slightly dodgy and you'd most probably have to get pirated versions of the games...

Debaser
03-03-2005, 23:44:11
Yes, because pirated games are so hard to come by on the internet, and so expensive too...

DevilsH@lo
14-03-2005, 21:15:58
X-box emu i've seen which will run the NTSC version of Halo, but nothing else, and there is a PS2 emu about but it will only run demo's and the like, no games generally.

I haven't heard of anything approaching a usable emulator for this generation of consoles greg, sorry mate.