PDA

View Full Version : Essential PC/Mac Games - summary please

Tau Ceti
02-03-2005, 13:34:36
I am going abroad soon and will be away from my desktop PC for the rest of the year. I would like to play some games in the meantime, however, and my laptop is a Powerbook. Since I do not particularly want to spend money on games that I will only be able to install on the laptop, I am looking for decent games that have dual PC/Mac versions in the same box.

I already have Warcraft III (with The Frozen Throne), where I never got around to playing the campaigns. I have also noticed that Diablo II is dual version - is that any good single player? (I expect I will only have net access at work.) Does anyone have any recommendations in this (probably rather limited) category?

MDA
02-03-2005, 14:40:25
I'd recommend Divine Divinity over Diablo II for single player. I've heard good things about Sacred (I think from Vinnie), too.

Diablo II is OK multiplayer, but I thought it was too weak on story to be much fun single player. Then again, Diablo II is supposed to be all about the kits and skills, not story. That's the fun of it.

zmama
02-03-2005, 15:43:43
Sacred is fun...probably more fun with someone than single player though

Shining1
02-03-2005, 23:14:06
Blizzard games are all dual origin...

Can't think of much else, unfortunately, since I don't pay attention to the Macciness of any games I get.

Your other option, of course, is to procure a console of some sort (*cough*Xbox *cough*) and play stuff on that. It would be an additional computer bag to lug around, but my holiday experience is that a console is more than enough to keep you going... and lets you experience the joy of being an utter hamfisted noobling all over again! =)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2005, 00:46:43
Diablo is one I've been playing for 5+ years now, and still go back to from time to time. Maybe that makes me unimaginative, I dunno. But it lets me kill time quite nicely, thank you very much. And has probably been the best value for money game I've ever bought. Though I'd definitely recommend the Lord of Destruction expansion, too. It plays online acceptably via dial-up, too, I've found, but I guess I'm fairly close to the West Coast US servers, so that might account for it.

As for other dual OS games, I have no clue. Maybe Google knows...

Tau Ceti
03-03-2005, 16:46:43
Originally posted by Shining1
Blizzard games are all dual origin... Yes, but how many are there of them? Starcraft is not, I believe (at least the version I have), then there are the Warcrafts, Diablos and World of Warcraft.

Your other option, of course, is to procure a console of some sort (*cough*Xbox *cough*) and play stuff on that. It would be an additional computer bag to lug around, but my holiday experience is that a console is more than enough to keep you going... and lets you experience the joy of being an utter hamfisted noobling all over again! =) Yes, I am considering that option too. Since I am going to Japan, I suspect that a PS2 is a better choice. Of course, as both the power and video systems are different, I would need to both get it and get rid of it there, and if I need to get a TV set as well (depending on what is included in the apartment I will end up renting) it might become a bit too much hassle and somewhat expensive for a 9 month stay...

It plays online acceptably via dial-up, too Nice, but with the prices I have seen quoted (JPY 70,000 to get a land line!) I doubt that is an option. For that kind of money I should be able to get broadband if I find out I need/want it.

zmama
03-03-2005, 17:11:30
Not knowing what you consider decent games... If you go to amazon to the Mac games section

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/1065980/ref=br_bx_c_1_0/002-1766191-9705619

the list shows whether its a dual game or not

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2005, 18:25:02
Originally posted by Tau Ceti
Nice, but with the prices I have seen quoted (JPY 70,000 to get a land line!) I doubt that is an option. For that kind of money I should be able to get broadband if I find out I need/want it.

You could use a pay phone.

Tau Ceti
03-03-2005, 20:04:49
Originally posted by zmama
Not knowing what you consider decent games... If you go to amazon to the Mac games section

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/1065980/ref=br_bx_c_1_0/002-1766191-9705619

the list shows whether its a dual game or not Neat, thanks. Looks like it is mostly Blizzard games, the Mysts and a few other things - many of which I have never heard of. Depressingly, there were hardly any games even in the Mac only segment that I actually want to play. Well, I guess I should be spending my time doing other things.

Decent games are... well, decent games, in whatever genre except FPS, really. Of course, the more arcadey types are unpractical to play on a laptop, so I guess the strategic/empire building and RPG genres are the most relevant. I have played hardly any RPG games in the last 6 or 7 years, so I have probably missed some gems there.

zmama
03-03-2005, 20:37:21
I think RC and maybe MDA played Railroad Tycoon 3, which is on that list...Should be a thread on it here somewhere

zmama
03-03-2005, 20:38:51
Yup

http://www.counterglow.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16238&highlight=Railroad+Tycoon

Tau Ceti
03-03-2005, 21:24:46
They are not very positive about it, though. In fact, that thread is a major part of the reason why I have not already got it. Still, it looks like MDA at least liked it.

Nav
03-03-2005, 22:04:35
Football Manager 2005 :D

Darkstar
03-03-2005, 22:10:37
You can get the newest Spaceward Ho! from Delta Tao software ( http://www.deltatao.com/ ). It's a simple galaxy conquest game. Very fun game, if you are into SF Galaxy conquest games.

MDA
04-03-2005, 01:03:22
RT3 really does lose a lot of the micromanagement, some of which was great/useful in RT2, but I didn't find myself missing it. Its just a lot different than RT2.

I was one of those people that alternately hated and liked consists in the earlier game.

Tau Ceti
04-03-2005, 01:44:54
I would have liked consist management to be somewhat more intelligent, such as 'pick up whatever passengers are available' (possibly with min/max values) rather than using a set number of cars always. But fully automatic optimized consists, including multistep industry routes, sounds like it takes away quite a bit of the challenge and satisfaction.

JM^3
04-03-2005, 12:33:50
I liked the original RC best

JM

Beta1
04-03-2005, 12:52:12
well we're all RC underneath

Resource Consumer
04-03-2005, 18:25:07
he is back - and I have just got a laptop and will stick RTIII on it and give it another whirl (we are at patch 1.05 now so that might have solved the CTD issues)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
04-03-2005, 21:41:07
Spaceward Ho! is available for Palm, I saw today.

I forgot one of the best games that is dual use: Angband! Benefit is it's totally free, too. And the variants will keep you going for years.

And Diablo works okay on a laptop - that's where LoC has her version installed. It requires an external mouse, but that's about it. And a little bit of gamma correction too.