PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to build another one.

The Mad Monk
01-03-2005, 10:18:46
I love my new computer, but XP kills too many favorite old games.

I love my old computer, but it's really too slow for some of those old games.

Solution: FRANKENPUTER!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

*ahem*

As soon as it's feasible, I will build a computer with hardware as advanced as Windows 98se can handle. It will likely have an Asus KV8 se deluxe motherboard and an Athlon 64 cpu around 3200+, and as much memory as W98se can realistically handle.

How much memory is that, anyway? Also, what other stumbling blocks might be in my way? Which video cards are unusable (or usable if that's easier), and where can I find a copy of 98se without pirating my PIII's recovery disk, anyway?

MDA
01-03-2005, 13:56:36
98se - maybe Ebay? You'd probably end up getting a pirated copy, though.

Hmm. Those old Might and Magic games would work again if I had a Win98 system.

zmama
01-03-2005, 14:12:40
I take it you don't mean ~really~ old games cause my old game player here refuses the 64 chip...says her old stuff doesn't work. Though that's a dosbox problem.

512Mb of mem is plenty for 98

Yeah..ebay, swap meets...ask friends.
Can't have mine, I still have a 98se machine running.

Vid card? Dunno

Bergzwerg
01-03-2005, 14:13:19
zmamglish?

zmama
01-03-2005, 14:14:34
jep

JM^3
01-03-2005, 16:20:15
dual boot

Jon Miller

Bergzwerg
01-03-2005, 16:42:25
Boot of dingding kicking AND escaping?!

zmama
01-03-2005, 16:43:18
Koel...
want em

Deacon
02-03-2005, 02:33:51
The fact that big PC mfgrs stopped including vanilla Windows CD-ROMs was one of the reasons why I switched to self-built PCs. I bet they began the practice in order to get a bigger discount from MS.

One approach is to try to copy Windows from the recovery disc. My last Big Guys PC was a Compaq Presario 5030 (c. 1998), and the recovery CD with it had a copy of Windows 98 (FE) inside of a pasworded ZIP archive. A couple years later, a Google search was all it took to find the password.

Other than that, I'd recommend paying the $90 or getting a CD-R copy from a friend who paid the $90. No telling what's in the hacked versions. :)

As for video cards, I think that all of them had 98 drivers up to 2001, when XP was released, and probably for some time afterwards. I think the GeForce 3 was good back in 2002.

Getting an Athlon 64 box for old games might be overkill unless dual-boot with a more recent version of Windows is an option. An Athlon XP would be cheaper across the board.

I recently put together a "New for '98!" box. It's a Pentium II that uses a mix of new-order and off-the-shelf components. Obsolete like nobody's business (it even runs KDE slowly), but fun with most of my old stuff.

BTW, if anybody here knows how to crack the copy protection on the Carmen Sandiego 5.25" diskettes, please tell me how to do so. :)

The Mad Monk
02-03-2005, 02:48:32
512Mb of mem is plenty for 98

Maybe, but I am hoping I can shove more usable physical memory in there for Total Annihilation.

zmama
02-03-2005, 03:09:38
You can but win 98 won't use it

The Mad Monk
02-03-2005, 05:49:50
Another example of Bill's "should be enough for anybody" syndrome?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2005, 00:28:09
Originally posted by JM^3
dual boot

Jon Miller

Agreed.

Until I just recently (like, three or four weeks ago) upgraded my HDD to 160GB, I had XP and 98 dual booting to a single drive.

It's a pain to setup, and a pain to maintain, and apparently there's a lot of rhyming involved. My main problems were:

* Win98 isn't a terribly stable OS. It requires reinstallation every year or so to keep it in tip top condition.
* You need to install the older Microsoft OS before the newer one (and on different partitions, so you need to repartition the drive)

This leads to the situation where you can't just reinstall Win98 on the system if you have to without messing up the nice multiboot loader XP installs in the MBR. If you can back that up, do the install, and then replace the MBR with the XP version, you can make this much easier, but I didn't (in my short search on the web) find anything that could do this easily or freely.

You could go with one of the Linux bootloaders, but I'm not sure how to configure them in an all Windows environment, and didn't really want to be bothered learning.

The other solution to this dilemma is with two drives (which I didn't have so can't check):

* Install Win98 on a drive configured as the master, but which will eventually be the slave
* Move it to slave, move the other drive to Master, and install XP. This should identify the second OS and install the multiboot partition.

If all goes well (and, as I said, this is untested but I think it'll work) then if you need to reinstall 98 at any time, you just swap the IDE cables, set the slave as a master via the jumpers, and reinstall.

Not sure how that works with SATA, but it may be even easier!

With either solution, remember to save any files you want common to both OSes to a FAT32 partition, so they can both access it. I wouldn't recommend you install XP on FAT32 (is it possible? I know you can with 2k)...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2005, 00:29:22
Originally posted by Deacon
The fact that big PC mfgrs stopped including vanilla Windows CD-ROMs was one of the reasons why I switched to self-built PCs.

:D Absolutely :) After the Compaq LoC bought, and the horrible recovery disks inflicted upon it (and all the Gateways at work) I will not ever purchase a pre-built big name PC again.

Sir Penguin
03-03-2005, 01:21:43
I've used LILO as a bootloader for 98 and XP. It was pretty easy, and I bet in these days of LiveCDs you can do it without keeping a Linux partition.

I'm not sure how you'd switch back to XP after a 98 install on the same hard drive. If you had them on different hard drives it would be trivial. Maybe boot into the Recovery Console from the XP CD and run fdisk /mbr or something?

SP

Deacon
03-03-2005, 01:23:42
I don't know what's possible with XP, but I've used the Windows 2000 Professional Recovery Console to restore the Windows bootloader a few times. IIRC, the command to use once you log in is "fixboot".

You can reach the console by booting from the CD and following the "repair an installation" option.

GRUB and LILO can both boot Windows, but I prefer to use the Windows bootloader on Windows-only machines.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2005, 18:20:31
The fixboot thing would have been handy a year and a half ago, when I had to fix 98. Of course, other things went wroung then, too, and I found myself reinstalling BOTH OSes. Luckily, I had the foresight to do a backup of all data first, but it still was a pain in the behind...

Deacon
04-03-2005, 02:20:55
Fdisk /mbr installs the 98 bootloader.

Sir Penguin
04-03-2005, 05:18:37
Right, it's fixboot. I find LILO to be much, much easier to deal with than the Windows bootloader configuration.

SP