PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR II story discussion - *ENTER THE SPOILER ZONE*

King_Ghidra
28-02-2005, 11:23:31
I am getting near to the end of kotor 2 and I wanted to start this thread to express some problems I have with the main story arc

The kind of memento memory loss thing is fine, gradually building up a picture of what you did works ok and obviously also fits in nicely with letting the player choose his alignment.

But i think kotor 2 really lacks the sense of the grand overriding aims of the frst game, where you knew malak was the enemy and you had to stop his fleet and find the star forge.

the find the missing jedi plot just seems so...lacklustre...so un-urgent. It's kind of lalala so what if i do what if i don't.

And the ultimate bad guy - i still don't know his name - is such an invisible opponent, he doesn't seem like any threat at all. Malak used to turn up and do stuff, this guy just flies around on the fringe of space doing fuck all.

Ditto the grey one eyed dude, darth sirious or whatever his name is, turns up on peragus, kills some people, chops kreia's hand off - then i don't even see him again until i finally happen to go to korriban, at which point, 'hi i knew kreia', one fight and bye bye again, and still no idea of his motivations, what his aims are or anything else about him. what is the point of this guy? his existence is not enhancing my enjoyment of the game or its story at all.

And that whole thing with Visas - what the fuck?! she turns up, tries to kill you, then joins you, whilst still acknowledging mystery man as her master and telling you nothing about him except that she'll take you to him at some point...yeah, whatever love

kreia is at least interesting...i still don't know her ultimate aims, but at least you interact with her regularly and find out new things.

so much of the game is just random quests on planets with no link to the master storyline, it all just feels so detached. Every time i load the game i see grey dude, mystery man and visas and now i'm near the end and i still don't understand anything about them...

MDA
28-02-2005, 12:45:34
Its supposed to be kind of suspenseful, I guess.

Just got HK-47 repaired last night. We had a very long conversation. Normally that would be boring, but he's too much fun.

I'm having problems with the fuel supply quest... I'm hoping they resolve themselves on their own later.

I gave Visas all kinds of cool darkside powers before I realized she's shining white good. :bash:

HelloKitty
28-02-2005, 20:03:56
I think some of the problems witht he plot are because Lucas Arts pushed it out faster than Bioware wanted and had time to complete.

An entire planet was cut and god knows how many other things towards the end of development.

Shining1
28-02-2005, 23:36:22
It.
Was.
Rushed.

Sir Penguin
01-03-2005, 01:23:43
The fuel supply quest can be completed on Nar Shaddaa. You don't even get thanked by the people on Telos, and even if you complete it, they still say they need fuel at a later point in the game.

Darth Nihilous is a complete pansy. That part of the story was totally undeveloped, and therefore so was Visas's story. He's actually not the ultimate bad guy, but they build him up to be so when you kill him it's all Return of the King like "What, it's not over?"

SP

MDA
01-03-2005, 13:43:09
My journal says the fuel supply quest is unfinished, but if Goto is interested in helping the Republic he should be letting the Hutt's fuel through now... Grrr. They did bitch about how they had no fuel at Citadel Station when I went back, too.

I think maybe they rushed the game out. ;)

King_Ghidra
01-03-2005, 14:33:56
Does the xbox version suffer the same holes in the plot then, or did they finish everything for that?

MDA
01-03-2005, 19:24:28
Xbox version has been out for a few months longer than the PC version, so I'd expect the same little annoyances.

Sir Penguin
05-03-2005, 05:44:55
On today's PA, they posted a link to the original posts for the cut ending stuff I mentioned in the other thread. There's actually more there than I saw. It's unformatted though.

Massive, total spoiler warning, even for the castrated game:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29764&st=0

edit: there's a formatted version on the second page.

SP

Shining1
07-03-2005, 00:20:39
Page 13 or somewhere around there has some brilliant HK-47 voice samples too. They cheered me up a lot in an otherwise *very* depressing thread.

Lurker
08-03-2005, 15:25:11
I completely agree with the general sentiments expressed by you guys. About half of this game was good. The rest was just tedious. Every time I got into the story, they gave you another couple of chapters of shit.

The battles at the end were extremely easy (except for that stupid ball that had to deal with the storm beasts). Force Enlightenment, stasis and high wisdom were too much for the enemies. A couple of times on Malachor I'd walk into a room with six or so dark jedi masters and sith, use stasis, freeze them all and kill each of them before they even woke up.

All I could think of during the ending dialog with Kreia was how they were setting this up for KOTOR3. Let's see, Visas ends up on the outer rims of the galaxy, finding herself and fighting the "real sith".......

I also couldn't stand how many empty rooms you'd walk into. Maybe you get stuff in those rooms if you max out awareness, but I don't know...

Sir Penguin
08-03-2005, 23:36:41
I enjoyed slaughtering the bad guys. :D

SP

MDA
09-03-2005, 13:18:00
The whole game was a slaughter. I limited myself to 10 strength and dex (unmodified) this time and dumped a bunch into intelligence and constitution instead. Combat should be harder, but I got a 3xtoughness feat D-package which seems to make up some of the difference.

There's an annoying part on Nar Shadda with the weasel getting shaken down by the Exchange - if Kreia is in the party, there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid losing influence with her.

Making the jerks jump really is fun, though.

King_Ghidra
09-03-2005, 14:26:18
yes i did that bit a few times and found a simple solution - make the guys jump but don't talk to the shakedown victim afterwards - no dialogue/influence loss

MDA
09-03-2005, 19:48:52
I had saved just a few minutes before that, so I switched her out of the party, took care of the Exchange guys, and put her back in.

Still irritated aobut the ending. I'm left guessing what a shadow generator is and does, I don't understand how it was activated when G0-T0 said it wouldn't let it be activated. It makes planets implode (black hole generator?).

I have no idea what the Mira sidequest was for, or what happened to the rest of the crew. rushed rushed rushed.

Who is Mira's father ("considering who her father is"), where's the HK-50 factory, what the hell did Atton do that he doesn't want me to know about?

Why does the Disciple look like a Buck Rogers TV series character?

Lurker
09-03-2005, 20:08:38
Do you think some of those story lines aren't triggered if you don't interact enough with the relevant characters?

Having said that, I don't see how that could be the case with HK-47 and his issues, since you have to get fairly far along before you even get him assembled.

The whole GO-TO thing made no sense to me, but I never included it in my party so I guess I didn't get a full opportunity to explore the storyline.

MDA
09-03-2005, 20:21:26
I think you're right for at least some of it. I'm trying to find out. I spent hours (literally) going through the dialog options for all the characters I had, over and over, to try and find new branches to their stories.

From what I can tell, from the game and from rooting around on Obsidian's forums, there are parts that are only triggered if you have the right sidekicks in your party at certain waypoints in the game. If you've got the wrong people, you miss out.

This second game I had Atton with me on Nar Shadda, and I think I'll eventually be able to work out what was eating at him (that Kreia was using for leverage) the first game, based on something that happened this time, relating to him, that didn't happen in my first game.

I'm trying to get HK-47 assembled earlier too. I think I'll be forced into planet hopping instead of playing each one through in sequence. There were some threads that implied you could get HK assembled quickly by going to Nar Shadda first, so I've started there.

Sir Penguin
09-03-2005, 22:02:42
It all revolves around the influence system. For Atton, respect him. You can kill innocents and gain influence with him, if you tell him it was the right thing to do. I got 100% influence with him through entirely Light Side means though.

There's a FAQ on gamefaqs that lists the opportunities for gaining influence for each party member, the sort of things that will get you influence (if you don't want the specifics), and what you get when you get high influence. For example, if you get high enough influence with T3-M4, he can give you a +1 permanent bonus to your WIS.

You can get influence with some characters entirely through dialogue (like, in the ship), and some characters actually require that you take them with you in your party.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/file/star_wars_kotor_ii_influence.txt

SP

Lurker
09-03-2005, 22:16:08
How can you tell what your level of influence is on a given character?

MDA
09-03-2005, 23:05:32
Referer Link Error

On every single HTML page of GameFAQs is the following request:
Feel free to link to this page, but not directly to the FAQs..
You're seeing this error message because it appears that you're linking from an external site directly to one of the text files stored at GameFAQs. GameFAQs is not a free public file server. Bandwidth costs money, and when sites link directly to files stored on the site, it becomes both a financial and resource drain. We've tried asking, but some sites simply don't care, so now we've implemented a technical solution.

Oops!!! :)

Sir Penguin
10-03-2005, 01:38:43
Asswipes. It's interesting that they try to save on bandwidth by forcing people to download a whole other web page instead of just the text file. Anyway:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/920601.html

Under "Influence Guide (XBOX)"

I don't think there's any way to check the numerical value of influence in-game. I used the save game editor to find out.

SP