PDA

View Full Version : how many posts do I need to get banned from Poly?

miester gandertak
24-02-2005, 08:13:56
not using goatstuff and all.

JM^3
24-02-2005, 08:15:24
don't you miss the goat boys?

JOn Miller

miester gandertak
24-02-2005, 08:22:24
Yaaaaay a bit,
what i really miss is a new episode of being JOn Miller.
say Jon, did you went out lately?

JM^3
24-02-2005, 08:49:33
sorry

been working and playing online games recently..

Jon Miller

Funkodrom
24-02-2005, 09:00:07
Has anything interesting happened in them?

JM^3
24-02-2005, 09:08:11
hmm

I did get this email today:

Dear Mr. Miller,

My name is ***********, and I am writing about the grades that I did (not) receive in the homework assignment (Problem JJS-5.4) due on February 02 2005 for Professor Wallace's class (Phys. 623). I am not here to beg, or to ask for sympathy. Non grading part of my homework was -apparently-a decision made during the grading session, and I conform myself to it, though I would certainly have appreciated knowing in advance about this kind of grading policies. And this is specially true considering that "assigning zeros for missing or incomplete work, which is not necessarily valid as an indicator of progress and has devastating effects on averages" has been included in a list of "several means of assessment and grading (that) have been questioned by educational researchers" (UMD Teaching Resource Guide for Graduate Teaching Assistants 2004-2005, http://www.cte.umd.edu/grad-programs/gtarg.pdf ).

I would like nevertheless to make a short comment about what I think happened. When I wrote, at the end of the problem "[] but I didn't have time to follow it", leaving that part unresolved, I was not asking for some "compassionate grading" or for some excuse. I try to be intellectually honest, whether I don't know how to solve a problem, or if I get hints from books and texts, or-like in this case- if I don't have time to do it or to work longer at the solution. I know that the phrase I wrote in my homework may be perceived as a pointless comment, and -if so- I would expect it to be treated for what it is: pointless. Moreover, while I don't imagine being graded on the part of the problem that has not been solved, I was very surprised noticing that I was being "globally punished" because of that (innocuous, in my view) comment . And I guess that this wouldn't have happened if I had let that part of the problem blank, i.e. leaving to the grading process the same amount of information as I did. Instead, from the comment that was added by the grader's hand at the end of that problem (I quote: "? OK, don't have time to grade it") , the impression is that I have been submitted to some sort of morality judgment, and thus expiation for my (unintentional) "wrong writing". The irony of the situation is, if I can say, that there are two more of my homeworks that are (going) to be graded, and since I was totally unaware of the reaction that phrase would trigger, I may have repeated it other times, without any intention of provocation or else.

I am ready to accept the consequences also for those two homeworks. Starting from next one, I won't repeat anymore that comment. Not because I think I did anything "wrong", but only to protect the results of my homeworks (good or bad as they may be) from any additional evaluation criterion besides Physics knowledge and understanding, resolution and presentation skills and-of course-the Pledge of Honor.

Thanks for your attention. Sincerely,

and my reponse...

I don't really understand? The assignment was grading in it's entire, or should have been. If I didn't find some part of it than I would be happy to grade over again. As for the comment that you are concerned about, I was just noting that I couldn't grade what you hadn't written, it did not reflect any change of the grading of your assignment on my part. If there is something missing or you feel is wrong about your grading, please arrange to see me.

Jon Miller

but that was the only sort of interesting thing to happen yesterday, I mostly played AO and got drunk (but that was just buying drinks and talking about games with my freinds, no stupidity except the bill)

JOn Miller
(I am a real relaxed and non serious TA, and try to grade lightly..)

JM^3
24-02-2005, 09:10:51
tuesday I got anhiliated by the professor I would like to work for....

which sucked, but is something I am sure that many who try to do research have experience with

Jon Miller

JM^3
24-02-2005, 09:11:48
see, not very interesting

Jon Miller

Funkodrom
24-02-2005, 09:13:09
I think both these stories have potential, keep us informed with developments. :)

JM^3
24-02-2005, 09:14:40
well, there was plenty of embarrassment in the advisor one

Jon Miller

JM^3
24-02-2005, 11:39:45
or this

I spents hours and horus getting things in AO which would allow me to fight aliens

I got together a gorup (took hours)

than we all died isntantly, and I didn't get any levels from it

:(

Jon Miller

Tizzy
24-02-2005, 11:43:40
Originally posted by JM^3
well, there was plenty of embarrassment in the advisor one

Jon Miller

Tell us more..

miester gandertak
24-02-2005, 12:40:56
Originally posted by JM^3
..............aliens.............................. ..
Jon Miller englishmen in New York?