23-02-2005, 13:52:51
For talk about the game, please

DS and Asher go play somewhere else

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 14:26:14
MattHiggs
Settler

Location: Salford, UK 13-02-2005 05:05 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Just ordered this online, should get it in a day or two. Anyone have any experience of the game? Is it any good?

MDA
Schni Schna Schnappi

Location: Make no excuses. Support no ideology. You're EVIL. Just do it. 13-02-2005 09:29 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

I'm sure Shiny is playing. There's a thread about it somewhere down the list.

Mightytree
Bat

Location: Cuba 13-02-2005 10:43 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

It's good. You'll enjoy it.

Thread on EQ2 and WoW

HelloKitty
Hochwasserschutzbauwerk

Location: With a bunch of Hochwasserschutzbauwerks 13-02-2005 22:18 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

I don't know how Shiney is still playing it. I got tired of WoW faster than COH, and am even done with EQ2.

Sims 2 >> both of them.

Asher
mambar

Location: Markham, Ontario 14-02-2005 00:52 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

It's awesome, and way better than COH, EQ2, and the Sims 2.

HelloKitty has no penis, don't listen to her.

Vincent
a german

Location: France 16-02-2005 07:46 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

I played it. It's quite cool, somtimes a little too repitative. Too many quest like "get # of ...", hunting animals etc. A lot of running around, Ultima style. Excellent graphics (fast, unique style).
Be sure not to log in at german servers, it's more like a chatroom.
Fun ...

Darkstar
Darth Tater

Location: If you only knew the power of the Spud 16-02-2005 10:50 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Actually, HK is slanted macho a good bit. Her favorite hobbies include things like beating up Korean kids with a wooden sword, practicing being a ninja when no one is looking, creating huge harems in Sims/Sims 2, pretending to be Arnold when her girlfriend is looking at her, <Tim Allen>More power! More power! More power! Ew ew ew! (grunt!) (grunt!) (grunt!)</Tim Allen>.

Unlike Asher, who likes style over substance, and drives a hairdresser's car because he thinks he looks good in it (ie, he's an accessory for his car!).

Listen to the Kitty! Don't listen to Ash! Kitty chases tail, Ash wishes he was tail.

Bitches -Venom

Last edited by Darkstar on 16-02-2005 at 10:53

King_Ghidra
Adult Poster of the Year

Location: Gutsiest move I ever saw 16-02-2005 11:16 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

haven't played either eq2 or wow but i would pick wow for its graphical style if nothing else

the engish gaming mags have given it very good reviews

MattHiggs
Settler

Location: Salford, UK 16-02-2005 15:00 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Just got it today, really enjoying it. It's a bit repetitive at the start like Vincent says. Lots of kill x number of monsters but I'm still learning the game so it's good practise.

I'm an Undead Mage.... FUN!

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 14:26:48
ASHER PoST CUT!

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 14:27:18
HelloKitty
Hochwasserschutzbauwerk

Location: With a bunch of Hochwasserschutzbauwerks 16-02-2005 16:43 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Asher just likes WoW because the dwarf dance turns him on.

Honestly , and I have said it before, WoW is a great game and i has a huge amount of very distinct style, but it does not have substance. It is just a skin of EQ1 with the challenge turned down and all the grind and uberness removed. WoW will need to add a huge amount of content to maintain thier numbers. As it is now there is little that the player base has not finished and the game is only a few months old. WoW did a great job of dong what FFXI wanted to do, they were just smart enough to go the opposite direction. FFXI skinned EQ1, added a few things and made the game an adventure in masochism and dullness. They also did thier damndest to ruin any immersion, "NPC tells you " I WANNA GO EXP BY KILLING MONSTERS!!!". WoW went the opposite way and made the game easy to play for anyone. Want to kill anything in the game that is not raid content? Play a pally! If you want some challenge play as the horde, but even then the game is childs play. Also content for WoW is a long way off since they are still dedicating most of thier time to fixing thier DB and server problems.

The game that has the most style is definitly COH. They went for a look and feel and hit it 100% on the mark. The game is fun but has 0 substance. Thats why it is not lasting even though they are adding material like crazy.

EQ2 has a style you either love or hate since they went for an ugly bleak and realistic look. I personally like it and have never liked the shining knights and gleaming cities look. Compared to WoW it has much more depth and complexity but is much less accessable to the majority of people. EQ1 is probably the most sucessful game that was that hard to get started in, thousands of commands, thousands of factions, a huge world, only about 10% of it documented. Even now SOE says that something like 20% of the quests in the first 3 expansions have not been completed ever. They tried to fix a lot of this in EQ2 but it is still no where near as accessable as WoW. Content wise EQ2 beats WOW and COH hands down, they started with more and have already released I think 4 free new zones/dungeons, have the next expansion being programmed and soon will be releasing "modules" like the old time D&D adventure books where you can purchase a mini expansion for certain levels.

You really can't go wrong with any of these games.

For the long term newbie any game will make you happy. If you have a lot of MMO exp and are bitter about game mechanics (like the FOH, AL, and LOS EQ players that Blizzard hired to do raid content and itmeization after many were banned from EQ for exploiting) WoW is the way to go because you won't find any grind or those pesky failures. If you are not bitter and like lots of content and challenge in depth EQ2 is the way to go.

I would say play EQ1 since it has all the others beat for content, but apparently thier numbers are piss poor now.

HelloKitty
Hochwasserschutzbauwerk

Location: With a bunch of Hochwasserschutzbauwerks 16-02-2005 16:52 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Darkstar
Actually, HK is slanted macho a good bit. Her favorite hobbies include things like beating up Korean kids with a wooden sword, practicing being a ninja when no one is looking, creating huge harems in Sims/Sims 2, pretending to be Arnold when her girlfriend is looking at her, <Tim Allen>More power! More power! More power! Ew ew ew! (grunt!) (grunt!) (grunt!)</Tim Allen>.

Unlike Asher, who likes style over substance, and drives a hairdresser's car because he thinks he looks good in it (ie, he's an accessory for his car!).

Listen to the Kitty! Don't listen to Ash! Kitty chases tail, Ash wishes he was tail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sims 2 I am playing a cuckold challenge that if it works I will post on TS2 site as a challenge to annoy the mods.

The basic idea is to have a 10 generation female led family. Each generation must have a female child that can track thier family tree to the "Black widow" original sim.

The family cannot use any aspiration rewards except the female head. No male friends except for mating. After a female child is born the man is then trapped for the rest of his life in a small room with a fridge, bed, blocked by female only doors, and a window into the master bedroom where then the family goes about the normal lesbian affiars. The man also gets to take care of the babies! If he wants any social at all anyway.

I am on the third generation.

Mightytree
Bat

Location: Cuba 16-02-2005 17:10 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

quote:
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Asher just likes WoW because the dwarf dance turns him on.

Honestly , and I have said it before, WoW is a great game and i has a huge amount of very distinct style, but it does not have substance. It is just a skin of EQ1 with the challenge turned down and all the grind and uberness removed. WoW will need to add a huge amount of content to maintain thier numbers. As it is now there is little that the player base has not finished and the game is only a few months old. WoW did a great job of dong what FFXI wanted to do, they were just smart enough to go the opposite direction. FFXI skinned EQ1, added a few things and made the game an adventure in masochism and dullness. They also did thier damndest to ruin any immersion, "NPC tells you " I WANNA GO EXP BY KILLING MONSTERS!!!". WoW went the opposite way and made the game easy to play for anyone. Want to kill anything in the game that is not raid content? Play a pally! If you want some challenge play as the horde, but even then the game is childs play. Also content for WoW is a long way off since they are still dedicating most of thier time to fixing thier DB and server problems.

The game that has the most style is definitly COH. They went for a look and feel and hit it 100% on the mark. The game is fun but has 0 substance. Thats why it is not lasting even though they are adding material like crazy.

EQ2 has a style you either love or hate since they went for an ugly bleak and realistic look. I personally like it and have never liked the shining knights and gleaming cities look. Compared to WoW it has much more depth and complexity but is much less accessable to the majority of people. EQ1 is probably the most sucessful game that was that hard to get started in, thousands of commands, thousands of factions, a huge world, only about 10% of it documented. Even now SOE says that something like 20% of the quests in the first 3 expansions have not been completed ever. They tried to fix a lot of this in EQ2 but it is still no where near as accessable as WoW. Content wise EQ2 beats WOW and COH hands down, they started with more and have already released I think 4 free new zones/dungeons, have the next expansion being programmed and soon will be releasing "modules" like the old time D&D adventure books where you can purchase a mini expansion for certain levels.

You really can't go wrong with any of these games.

For the long term newbie any game will make you happy. If you have a lot of MMO exp and are bitter about game mechanics (like the FOH, AL, and LOS EQ players that Blizzard hired to do raid content and itmeization after many were banned from EQ for exploiting) WoW is the way to go because you won't find any grind or those pesky failures. If you are not bitter and like lots of content and challenge in depth EQ2 is the way to go.

I would say play EQ1 since it has all the others beat for content, but apparently thier numbers are piss poor now.

Having played both WoW and EQ2 I agree with all of this. I really enjoy playing WoW, but I'm slowly approaching the point where I fear that I've seen everything. Lack of content is a real concern. Contrary to my posts in the EQ2 vs. WoW thread I now think that WoW is actually way too accessible and soloable. EQ2 had the forced-grouping overdone, in WoW it's the other way around. A mixture of both would be great.

I only played EQ2 for a month but still I realized there were lots of great things it had going for it. Overall I enjoy WoW more but I wish there was a WoW/EQ2 hybrid game somewhere on the market.

zmama
Juicy

Location: When the bass goes doodoodoo 16-02-2005 17:26 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

I'm gonna make my s-i-l very happy and play WoW ...although on the Brit servers, not the amurican ones

You can't argue with physics.

2 DS and 2 asher posts CUT!!!

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 14:28:04
HelloKitty
Hochwasserschutzbauwerk

Location: With a bunch of Hochwasserschutzbauwerks 16-02-2005 22:59 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

quote:
@HK! Quite a show. Any reason you choose that particular challenge?

Well, teh "legacy" challenge is very popular and someone posted a thread about how it was unfortunate that you couldn't adopt because that left gay people out of the challenge.

So I made evil lesbian challenge.

ASHER POST CUT (ALONG WITH A BUNCH OF OTHER CUNTS)

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 14:29:27
Asher
mambar

Location: Markham, Ontario 17-02-2005 14:16 [profile] [pm] [www] [edit] [quote]

quote:
Originally posted by zmama

Can you go back to arguing about the game?

Sure.

The WoW forums are some of the worst you'll see.

There was a nasty Paladin bug introduced in the latest patch which reduced base Paladin damage by 40% on certain character builds.

If you go to the forums, all of the Horde players are just spamming "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WORKING AS DESIGNED SHUT UP YOU WHINERS"...

HelloKitty
Hochwasserschutzbauwerk

Location: With a bunch of Hochwasserschutzbauwerks 17-02-2005 16:31 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Sure.

The WoW forums are some of the worst you'll see.

There was a nasty Paladin bug introduced in the latest patch which reduced base Paladin damage by 40% on certain character builds.

If you go to the forums, all of the Horde players are just spamming "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WORKING AS DESIGNED SHUT UP YOU WHINERS"...

At least they didn't break the paladin "win" button. Now it is just slower!

LadyRachel
killling you

Location: cemetery 17-02-2005 19:24 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Asher sucks, Kitty sucks, Darkstar needs to go troll somewhere else if he knows what's good for him.

World of Warcraft is as good as chocolate.

Shining1
Evil Fanboy

Location: New Zealand 17-02-2005 19:26 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Yeah, my Paladin has gone from being able to comfortably defeat three guys a level above him (best is two orange melee Ogres with a yellow add) to struggling against three guys a level below him.

It's a huge nerf, so much that the Paladin is now slightly worse than the best soloing classes. But soooo slow.... and there's probably no chance of being a warlock in a duel again.

Oh, my views of WoW? I love it. I've got a bit to add to what MT and Kitty have been saying though.

Firstly, they're right in that there possibly isn't enough content to keep you going - IFF you're the kind of powergamer who wants to play for 5 hours every day without ever making a new character. WoW is deliberately tilted away from the 'loser in a basement playing EQ all day' style l33tness of previous MORPORKS. It's entirely concievable that someone who only has half a dozen hours on the weekend to indulge their inner orc will still get to level 60 in under a year.

Additionally, because the pace is so much faster in WoW, you tend to avoid the horrid 'tread mill' feeling of leveling in what seems like every other MORPORK. Naturally there's less satisfaction with having a max level character for those uberl33t losers in basements playing the game all day. Boo hoo.

Secondly, content is split between two factions, so if you want to experience the full game, you probably need two level 60 characters. (Though, to be fair, a lot of the zones used for each faction are duplicated and at the highest levels both sides are left grinding the same 'instances' for itamz - in short you won't get a 100% new experience with your Horde character after you've finished your alliance character.)

Certainly, there are a lot of bored level 60 characters at the moment, although I find it a little difficult feeling sorry for players who have mercilessly ground through the game in the first month and are now complaining that there is nothing to do. From my point of view, there is plenty of content and the world looks amazing.

(Karsten is bang on with his comment that most of the quests are samey and not nearly complex enough, but from what I've played of City of heroes and heard about EQ, this sounds par for the course in a MORPORK.)

Finally, in WoW's defense, pretty much half the game is still freaking missing. There's a reason for the two factions, and that reason is WAR. WoW has a heavy emphasis on PvP battles between the two sides, and there are meant to be Tribes/Battlefield style zones where teams of humans and orcs battle against each other to complete capture-the-flag/destroy-the-base/assassination style objectives. This is currently still in development with no release date announced.

The reasons NOT to play WoW are server stability and the 'still in beta' feeling of the class balance at the moment. Point of advice to anyone who's inclined to start the game anytime soon, do NOT play a warrior unless all you plan on doing is taking damage for large groups. Their soloing abilities leave a lot to be desired, and they can't win PvP duels. (Oh, and while the Bnet kiddies are rampant on SOME servers, you can find places to play where the people are nice and stupidity is treated as it should be. Stay the fuck off Bronzebeard, for instance.)

I get the feeling that WoW is a more ambitious project than EQ, less of a MORPORK and more of a Battlefield style game with a good quality MORPORK added on.

zmama
Juicy

Location: When the bass goes doodoodoo 17-02-2005 20:35 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

quote:
Originally posted by LadyRachel
Asher sucks, Kitty sucks, Darkstar needs to go troll somewhere else if he knows what's good for him.

World of Warcraft is as good as chocolate.

Even for your mother? ;

BUNCH O CUNTS CUT

LadyRachel
killling you

Location: cemetery 19-02-2005 01:19 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

quote:
Even for your mother? ;

WoW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sacred and Dungeon Siege.

Vincent
a german

Location: France 19-02-2005 15:21 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Everyone who likes walking around a lot will love WoW. Everyone who hates counting will hate it. I mean: a lot of quests are like "bring 12 whatevers"!

zmama
Juicy

Location: When the bass goes doodoodoo 19-02-2005 15:47 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

That doesn't sound like chocolate

Shining1
Evil Fanboy

Location: New Zealand 19-02-2005 15:51 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Yes but they do the counting for you.... :/

lightblue

Location: Cambridge, UK 20-02-2005 05:07 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Having quite a bit of fun with it. Lvl34 Shaman on EU Ravencrest, just started heading into Scarlet Monastery.

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 14:30:18
Ahhh,. the last of it without them

Shining1
Evil Fanboy

Location: New Zealand 22-02-2005 20:45 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

At the highest level in the MORPORK genre, I'd agree that Kitty's word is basically lore here.

At the same time, I've mastered enough games myself to know that the hardcore perspective isn't the whole story. She's also curiously quiet on the whole PvP side of things, and generally dislikes 'twitch' gaming IIRC.

Everyone knows about Ash, there's honestly no call to feed the trolls. Exceptions probably made in this thread since you are both hitting so well, it's actually a very good fight. =)

HelloKitty
Hochwasserschutzbauwerk

Location: With a bunch of Hochwasserschutzbauwerks 22-02-2005 21:17 [profile] [pm] [edit] [quote]

Yeah, I have never like FPS. Some twitch games are alright and even good, but the shooters I have always hated.

MOO pvp is about as least twitch/fps as you can get though.

There isn't much to say about PVP yet. The system is incomplete. The classes are unbalanced, and unfortunatly, there has never been a MMO other than Neocron that did PVP really well, and that was because it was a MMO/FPS (and I hated it).

I played both on the gay server in EQlive and on Sullon Zek, the "no rules" pvp server, where there was no such thing as cheating, harassment, etc. I also PVPed like crazy in SWG (until the doc/food buffs were raised to insane levels and stackers took over), and although I got bored of it DAOC which was all about PVP.

EQ2 has no pvp at all and no plans to add it. Why? MMO pvp has never worked. It has always been an unbalanced gank fest in every game. WOW has done nothing special to fix the many issues with MMO pvp, and their pvp servers in beta and from what I hear in live are bnet style freakshows.

I will reserve my comments on WOW pvp for when it is done.

EQ2 has come up with an interesting idea for reallm vs realm though. They are doing quests where you have to do do X and it lowers the something for the opposing team, like exp gain bonuses etc. I don't know if it is in the game yet since I have not played recently.

Now, the game that I am excited about for PVP is the COH expansion COV. Their next expansion will include an arena where you can set up solo, random, team, tourneys, etc with tracking of rankings etc. They are using this to balance PVP before COV comes out.

COV will have special PVP. A villain can take a mission, say to rob a bank, and a hero can take a mission to try to stop him. NCsoft/cryptic has learned a lot of lessons from thier pvp abortion lineage/lineage 2 (with member numbers ranking in the millions).

I got my pre-beta notice for COV! It will actually get me to log back on to COH for the first time in a long while.

zmama
23-02-2005, 14:38:32
*applause*

Thank you Kitty

King_Ghidra
23-02-2005, 16:02:22
from what i was reading on the COH website today, the next COH update will have PvP, nevermind waiting for COV

Asher
23-02-2005, 16:06:46
If only CoH wasn't a boring wankfest.

I played it for free and felt ripped off.

Asher
23-02-2005, 16:07:23
Then again I think people who aspire to become super heroes and liked the Spiderman movies need to be institutionalized for their glaring mental issues.

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 16:11:46
Yeah the next update will have pvp in arenas they are using it to test pvp for COV.

Funkodrom
23-02-2005, 17:07:47
Then again I think people who aspire to become super heroes and liked the Spiderman movies need to be institutionalized for their glaring mental issues.

They think the same about you. :beer:

Venom
23-02-2005, 17:22:50
I want to be a superhero only so I can turn evil and enslave mankind. No mental issues here.

Asher
23-02-2005, 18:17:47
Originally posted by Funkodrom
They think the same about you. :beer:
Yes, who wouldn't want to suit up in spandex and swing from buildings.

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 18:32:19
Who?

http://www.gayleague.com/home.php

zmama
23-02-2005, 18:41:59
I give up

WoW must really mean willies o' waving

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 18:56:43
Sadly, that would describe a huge number of the playerbase.

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 19:06:25
SHHH! Turn the lights out. Darkstar is still posting in the other thread.

Darkstar
23-02-2005, 19:46:06
Hey, I offered to take the convo elsewhere. :-)

Turning out the lights don't help, Kitty. I can always tell you are around by your mouthwash. It must be that "Extra Strength Garlic" special order stuff that Listerine makes. I hear it's good for your health. Has it done you any good?

zmama
23-02-2005, 20:48:03
grrrr
Watch it DS,
I'll sic Lady Rachel on you

;)

Venom
23-02-2005, 21:13:19
Hey, I offered to take the convo elsewhere. :-)

Turning out the lights don't help, Kitty. I can always tell you are around by your mouthwash. It must be that "Extra Strength Garlic" special order stuff that Listerine makes. I hear it's good for your health. Has it done you any good?

Man, did you miss an opportunity for an extremely dirty joke there.

Darkstar
23-02-2005, 23:34:59
Too true. But I lack your comedic wit. Or Funko's repeitoire of puns and complete insensitivity to other's pain.

That's what is wrong with you, Venom. You need to pun more. Inflict more pain on the masses!

The Mad Monk
24-02-2005, 02:57:17
Could be discuss inflicting more pain on pixels instead?

Please?

Asher
24-02-2005, 06:25:47
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2005/ft050221.gif
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2005/ft050222.gif
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2005/ft050223.gif

The Mad Monk
24-02-2005, 08:06:19
That's better.

Shining1
24-02-2005, 22:25:39
Level 42 Rogue, soloed a +1 elite last night. What is it with Stranglethorn Vale and really really crap elites?

zmama
26-02-2005, 20:23:21
I don't know!!

yet ;)

Putting this here because I know you'll read it.

Clean out your pm box!!!!

please

Shining1
27-02-2005, 00:14:13
:o

(Edit: Try now)

Asher
27-02-2005, 01:06:04
I'm a 58 Paladin, BF's a 60 Mage. Still lovin' it.

Darkstar
24-03-2005, 22:12:42
URL: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/17/news_6120659.html

Highlights:
* WoW hits 1.5 Million sales
* Averages 50% of all users registered in a region ONLINE simul

Mightytree
25-03-2005, 02:28:37
There are too many people playing. The high population servers are crashing daily at the same time due to the overload.

HelloKitty
25-03-2005, 03:48:59
They are looking at fixing alot of the problems. The last patch a few days ago apparently many many users were getting 2 kb/sec download times from overloaded servers so they put it up on gamespot too.

They are apparently reconsidering their idiotic regional servers siunce that causes the overloads. When you force everyone in the same time zone onto the same servers you will get dead times and then insane overloads.

Hopefully they will also start doing somthing to deter the tons of chinese and korean MMO farming bots that are in the game. That is a substantial population and the amount of AFK botting is rampant.

zmama
25-03-2005, 04:12:31
The EU servers are still ok...but are getting crowded. At least soon the people on high pop realms will be able to migrate their Character to a new realm.

Doesn't help those of us with multiple chars, however :)
I just started playing this month. Elf Druid lvl 20, Dwarf Paladin lvl 17, Human Warlock lvl 12, Tauren Shaman lvl 8

For me the euro servers are nice, good mining and herbs at 4am in Germany

Nah, don't like it at ALL!! ;)

Fandangin
25-03-2005, 08:46:53
Never played that game. Is it any good?

Mightytree
25-03-2005, 12:32:47
The game itself is excellent. The problem is that many people can't play it at peak times due to severe lag and servers crashing.

Like zmama I have the advantage that I'm playing from a totally different timezone than the majority of people on my servers, so I hardly notice the problems. Lag usually starts getting bad at about 2AM my time, so I just usually go to bed then. ;)

Must be a real bitch for those in the US that work all day and then come home and can't play the game due to poor planing on Blizzard's part.

lightblue
25-03-2005, 13:08:10
It's perfectly fine for me on Ravencrest - EU. There were some queues to start with but in last weeks maintenance they increased the capacity of the server and now it seems all fine an no more crashes. A lively, busy server means a good economy and easy raid etc for those thus inclined.

My shaman is lvl55 now, nearly 56, which means Dire Maul farmage for a bit imo :) Though i still have to finish off Atal'Hakkar.. confusing instance that one is.

zmama
25-03-2005, 13:09:13
Originally posted by Fandangin
Never played that game. Is it any good?
You wouldn't like it...too many other dwarves!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-03-2005, 17:01:40
Hey! This thread is finally about World of Warcraft! I was wondering when that would happen :D

MattHiggs
25-03-2005, 18:32:42
I played an undead mage to level 11 and didn't enjoy him to much. I'm playing a Tauren Hunter know and enjoying it much more. Really is a great game for the solo player.

I used to be a pretty hardcore player of AO, powerlevelled in a certain group and managed to get a few max level characters. Not got enough time to play games like that anymore though.

With WoW I can just log on, craft some leather armour - complete a quest or two and log back off.

Shining1
26-03-2005, 23:33:29
WoW *can* be a little TOO solo friendly. I've run into Hunters who hadn't ever grouped with anyone before level 34... (Yeah, he WAS a tard!)

Be warned also that the best solo characters (Hunter, Rogue, Shaman) tend to be less useful in groups at the end game - these characters get harder to play after level 60, where doing stuff like BRD becomes the highlight.

One of my Cadre of infinite Alts has broken away from the pack - now level 55 and a half. Should be 60 by the end of the week. =)

Asher
29-03-2005, 04:48:47
I'm a L60 Human Paladin that is starting on getting some Lightforge armor set. Damn they look cool, same with the Valor set.

Shining1
29-03-2005, 19:46:44
The Pauldrons are a bit silly, especially on a dwarf character. But yeah, there's nothing like it for Paladins. =)

Level 57, slow progress due to the need to kill furbolgs.

Mightytree
30-03-2005, 02:29:36
From a thread on the official forums:

Communication is lacking in all aspects. The devs donít communicate with the mods enough, and therefore, the playerbase blames the mods for lack of information on the status of the game. I know they are doing their jobs passing things along to the dev team, but the devs donít seem to be reciprocating back to the players or to the mods with anything other than "we're working on it". That is a fine excuse for a day or two, but itís become the typical "cut and paste" response for just about every issue that has come up since January.

Class bugs? We're working on it.
Server lag? We're working on it.
Constant crashing? We're working on it.
Can't login to the forums? We're working on it.
Server down? Check the Realm Status page: We're working on it.
Battlegrounds? More content patches? We're working on it.

To sum it up, let me put it in perspective for you:

Cancelling my account? Still no ETA, but I'm working on it.

Sums up perfectly how I'm feeling right now. The server I'm playing on has been down for 13 hours now. Blizzard can stuff their free time extensions up their asses.

zmama
30-03-2005, 03:19:45
Ick!

Sorry to say other than routine maintenence our server has been down only once and that was for a few hours.

I'm not fond of the looting bug however. Gets tiresome.

And for some reason I crash more when in cat form. Was mucho fun when I was stealthing in to a cave through a bunch of bad guys...crashed and came back unstealthed and they were snuffing out my last bit of health.

:lol:

Mightytree
30-03-2005, 04:53:46
http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1041565606

zmama
30-03-2005, 12:20:14

So Lurker is the server room jockey?

Asher
30-03-2005, 15:16:13
My server's been fine, aside from all of the mental rejects from servers like yours raiding it and dancing naked in Iron Forge.

They maxed out our pop and made a queue to log in, so my guildies couldn't log on to do our instancing...

So I outsmarted the refuges, and began /yell'ing "All the servers are now back up! Hooray!" and watched the masses disconnect, freeing up spots for my guildies...

Asher
01-04-2005, 19:37:21
PvP battlegrounds to use WC3 engine:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/news/images/05-04/battlegrounds/bgrounds01.jpg

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/news/images/05-04/battlegrounds/bgrounds02.jpg

Asher
01-04-2005, 19:39:08
Not to be outdone by Sony, Blizzard also added in-game food ordering: /panda

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/pandaren-xpress.html

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/images/pandaren-xpress/px-interface.jpg
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/images/pandaren-xpress/px-fortunecookie.jpg

HelloKitty
02-04-2005, 02:18:32
If this isn't an april fools joke I am going to laugh my ass off.

Shining1
02-04-2005, 02:33:21
No, quite genunine! (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/pandaren-xpress.html)

Asher
02-04-2005, 03:23:40
What's interesting here is they photoshopped one of the images recently -- it said the guy was a L65 Human Paly, now it says 60.

They accidentally leaked a level cap increase coming in the pipes...

zmama
02-04-2005, 04:38:36
:lol: :lol:

I love it!!

I think I have a new wallpaper :D

HelloKitty
02-04-2005, 05:19:37
Originally posted by Shining1
No, quite genunine! (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/pandaren-xpress.html)

I meant the battlefields stuff.

Asher
07-04-2005, 19:08:48
The PvP Honour system is in the upcoming patch, which is currently live on the test realms.

Examples of some of the honour loot:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/images/honor-system/ssarmor.jpg

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/images/honor-system/ssweapons.jpg

Also, epic mount graphics for all races are now in.

King_Ghidra@home
04-05-2005, 13:55:04
i'm soooooo tempted to buy Wow. Argh. *Must get higher level in CoH first and justify the time i've put into it* :bash:

HelloKitty
04-05-2005, 17:50:03
Or try SWG.

The Cu is live now and I am having more fun in it than I have had in any of the other games in quite a while.

zmama
04-05-2005, 19:29:21
Originally posted by King_Ghidra@home
i'm soooooo tempted to buy Wow. Argh. *Must get higher level in CoH first and justify the time i've put into it* :bash:

Come join us

*muwahahahahahahahah*

Asher
04-05-2005, 20:04:12
Don't listen to HelloKitty, SWG is one of the most boring MMORPGs ever.

It rewards losers who don't have any lives.

Darkstar
05-05-2005, 05:57:40
Don't listen to HelloKitty, SWG is one of the most boring MMORPGs ever.

It rewards losers who don't have any lives.

:lol:!

That's got to be about the funniest thing Asher has ever said on these forums. ;)

King_Ghidra
05-05-2005, 13:15:57
ok as i said in the other thread i did buy WoW yesterday.

lvl 8 night elf hunter so far.

As far as zmama has suggested, i can change my realm every time i log on - is that really correct? In which case, why does the front page have a thing about character transfers being available for certain worlds?

zmama
05-05-2005, 13:22:00
You can change realms but chars can't change. You can play on any realm you want and all of them if you have the time but a char stays on the realm it's created on....right now(Blizzard hints that it will be available later)

Right now some high pop realms can transfer chars to newly started up realms

King_Ghidra
05-05-2005, 13:38:18
ah i see, so my night elf is stuck on stormrage or whatever it was, ok

it's quite annoying, i mean there are just so many servers, and all i really want is to find one with a decent guild that plays in UK hours, but i don't have time to search for all that kind of jazz before i make my first char

the boards were full of talk about how x enlgish server is actually the 'unofficial' spanish server or swedish server or something

ah well, i imagine general server switches will be available at some point in the future, i shall just keep playing and see where i end up

zmama
05-05-2005, 13:48:49
The official WoW forums are shit.
Just play...the guilds will find you.

I joined a guild on the English rp server headed up by a Canadian...but the other members are Danish and English etc. Always someone around to play with any hour of the day. Plus I play with people from other guilds. But I don't really give a shit about guild stuff, I just play.

The boards at http://wow.allakhazam.com/

Are a bit better than the official

Shining1
07-05-2005, 03:21:37
Make a level 60 character on the wrong realm and you are DOOMED.

Realm transfers so far are only for high population realms to low population realms, it doesn't look much like there is any kind of 'for the player' transfer system under consideration.

King_Ghidra
09-05-2005, 10:05:20
ah well.

Got my night elf hunter to lvl 19 yesterday. Lots of fun so far, although a bit bored of some of the long runs i was required to do for quests - i think i get a movement speed ability at 20 though.

Had a bad experience last night in ashenvale where i accidentally wandered deep into an orc-controlled area and after dying was respawned in the same orc-controlled area, leading to several more frustrating deaths.

One thing i'm interested to know is how easy/hard it would be for me to travel to say the dwarf or human kingdoms so i can try out some different lowbie pets. So far it looks hard to get around to other cities at my level without being ganked by horde zone guards.

zmama
09-05-2005, 12:05:45
At Auberdine get on the boat to Menethil Bay. Travel through the wetlands to Dun Algaz ...
Travel through Loch Modan (airport in Thelsamar) and take the south gate pass through to Dun morogh. Enter Iron Forge
get major lag :). From there you can get to human lands from the tram.

You may though, being a hunter, want to try the Barrens. To get there you need to sneak around the orc guards at the gate from Ashenvale...there is a break on the left that you can sneak through. On the Barrens you can get yourself a raptor pet :)

King_Ghidra
09-05-2005, 12:58:29
cool, thanks for the advice :beer:

zmama
09-05-2005, 13:17:31
Should really ask Vinnie for NEhunter advice. Not that he'd help ;)

And when going to the barrens have your bags as empty as possible (Horde lands - avoid the towns) sell when you get back to Alliance territory.

Shining1
09-05-2005, 23:24:03
Yeah the Barrens are huge!

King_Ghidra
10-05-2005, 09:04:31
Made the run last night, it was good fun and not a problem at all really. However at the point of entering the mountain tunnels i hooked up with a lvl 28 gnome who knew the way so i am quite indebted to him, very helpful.

Ironforge really put the wow into WoW for me, the design and scale of it are stunning. I loved the tram, that was very cool, especially the brief underwater section.

Stormwind was also very cool, and i manged to locate the weapon trainer to get my sword skills very easily (love the fact that the guards can pinpoint stuff for you, very useful).

I'm going to try a few different quests and hunting around these areas for a bit now i think. Getting aspect of the cheetah (30% movement speed increase) has certainly helped alleviate some of the chore of running around.

Hit 90 leatherworking and about 175 skinning yesterday. It was certainly a wise move to start these trade skills up early, it's made me some very nice money while hunting.

zmama
10-05-2005, 11:22:21
At level 20 you will want to do Westfall and Redridge.
Even join a group (when 21+) and do the Deadmines. Oh you will die, but good loot.

And yes IF is wonderful...but I'm a dwarf Pali,it's my home :D

lightblue
10-05-2005, 11:52:03
My Tauren is 60 now on Ravencrest (has been for awhile), been collecting gear from UBRS/Strat/Scholo, have a decent collection. Only issue I have is that I can't be arsed farming for my epic mount, I'd rather do some PvP in Hillsbrad or Plaguelands.

King_Ghidra
10-05-2005, 12:08:05
i was reading a big thread on the boards about how the horde quests, cities and starting lands seemed to have been given much less thought and design effort than the alliance ones, has anybody else got that impression?

I've only seen the alliance lands so far really and they all seem massively content-packed and beautifully designed.

zmama
10-05-2005, 14:22:19
Well, I play a Tauren Shaman on Argent Dawn. I think the plains and the barrens are gorgeous. The undead areas are nice too.

lightblue
10-05-2005, 16:13:54
Barrens is painful though once you've done it once :) Just too big, especially if you have to do a few corpseruns here and there.

Shining1
10-05-2005, 22:07:26
Horde gets to kill gnomes. Nuff said! =)

Mightytree
10-05-2005, 22:52:15
Originally posted by lightblue
Barrens is painful though once you've done it once :) Just too big, especially if you have to do a few corpseruns here and there.

The Barrens is painful the first time too.

It's *the* area for trolls, orcs and taurens to quest in from level 10 to around 25. No matter what you think of it look-wise, you have to admit that it's an absolute pain in the ass for questing. There's no area anywhere where ways to quest objectives, back to quest givers or corpse runs are longer. IMO it's by far the worst area in the game.

To answer KG's question ...

I haven't played a lot of Horde yet, but yes, so far I definitely do have the impression that Horde areas, cities and quests are lacking in comparison to the Alliance ones.

Mightytree
10-05-2005, 22:57:00
Thunder Bluff is an exception to this. The design of that city absolutely rocks my socks off. Best capital city in the game. :beer:

zmama
10-05-2005, 23:49:44
Ah but if you are a hunter and a skinner the Barrens are sweeeet :)

Asher
11-05-2005, 05:49:13
I've got 5/8 pieces of Lightforge now on my Paly: http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?25741

zmama
11-05-2005, 11:18:57
Nice!

The poleaxe is cool too

King_Ghidra
11-05-2005, 13:36:53
I had an unintentional little adventure last night.

I finished a couple of quests in the wetlands and decided to go back to Menethil to take the boat back to auberdine. Unofrtunately i got on the wrong boat and as we pulled away the 40ish dwarf warriors on board laughingly informed me we were actually heading for Theremor. Well i suppoise i could have caught the boat back but the adventurer in me said, 'well, if we're ending up in Dustwallow Marsh, i just have to make a short dash through there and i can hit these barrens that i have been hearing so much about.'

So one rather-nerve racking run through ??? level territory, dodging giant crocodiles and raptors, i made it the barrens. Very cool. Killed one of them big thunder lizard things for the heck of it, plus some kind of naga, some kind of pig men things (water hunters?), plus a couple of hyenas and a kind of zebra thing. I had my cat with me or i might have tried to train a couple of things - saw a couple of scorpions and lions i would have liked. Only downside to the run came when i got killed by some border guards when trying to enter Stonetalon mountains.

After finishing a couple of missions there - killing wyverns was very fun and profitable - i made my way through Venture Co. territory and through another tunnel back into Ashenvale and wrapped up another couple of quests there.

A good evening full of exploring and adventure, and level 22 now :D

Shining1
12-05-2005, 03:19:55
Heh, good times. =)

Rach and I did Ragefire Chasm in Orgrimmar last night. I can see what the horde complaints about Molten Core are all about now - same tileset and everything!

Worth about a whole level by the time I had cashed in the quests tho - so far, I can't see what the complains about Horde questing being underdeveloped are about. It would be nice if Orgrimmar had some better music and looked more like a fortress and less like a messy outpost, but hey.

Grats on the chest, Asher! And good that you're stocking up on Valor stuff as well - debatebly the better Paladin armor for PvP.

lightblue
12-05-2005, 11:34:18
This is me:

http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?113109

Have the elements shoulders and legs as well, but as an Enhance shaman the items I have atm seem a better fit.

My Shield and Axe combo are http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=16998 and http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=811

zmama
12-05-2005, 11:55:56
Did ShadowFang Keep with my lvl 18 Shaman yesterday.

My job was to keep the priest alive. He only died once so not too bad. I died about 5 times...but some good loot. :D

MDA
12-05-2005, 15:58:18
I'm sensing a pattern in zmama's play style.

zmama
12-05-2005, 16:46:26
LOOOOT!!!:D

MattHiggs
12-05-2005, 18:14:44
I've stopped playing unintentionally. I actually forgot I had the game. Might give it a go again tonight. I'm a level 13 Tauren Adv.

MattHiggs
15-05-2005, 02:28:26
Logged in and I'm level 14 Tauren Hunter. My mate is level 58 Sharman and he's ranked #1 in PvP on Thunderhorn server. Just took me through an instance and got me all kitted up.

King_Ghidra
16-05-2005, 09:11:28
Had my first experience of pvp last night.

My hunter, now level 25, was doing some quests round Ashenvale when i saw the 'Ashenvale is under attack!' message. Well no big deal there, always get a couple of horde trying their luck from time to time, but never enough to warrant my involvement.
Then messages started coming through on the defence channel that it was a bigger raid, maybe 8 horde coming through. I and quite a few other 20ish level players stared gathering outside Astranaar and soon the horde swarmed through, led by a couple of 30ish level orcs. At this point i was not pvp enabled so i let them pass me by and attack the town. i moved off back the way they had come and saw that there were no reinforcements coming. Then as i was trying to decide what to do, a pvp flagged 24 orc druid came running out of astrannar towards me and the time had come to defend the realm! I hit him with my concussion shot and sicced my starving mountain lion on him, and a few arrows later the sucker was dead, my first ever kill. After that i headed back towards astarannar where a grand melee was taking place. The defenders now outweighed the attackers, and a couple of higher level alliance players had arrived. I helped kill about 6 more horde (and died myself once to an angry orc) before we drove them out astranaar altogether.

After that we formed up our own raiding party and headed for the orc camp in ashenvale. The horde players had turned tail for the barrens so we were left to take on the orc guards. This was al fun and games until the orc boss's minions, two enraged wyverns, made mincemeat of the entire raid.

Overall it was brilliant fun, and a really good intro to pvp. I felt pretty useful, with my Hunter's Mark i could easily light up individual attckers, chase them down with Aspect of the cheetah and immobilise them with concussion shot. I'm definitely eager to try some more now.

MattHiggs
16-05-2005, 09:38:40
What server do you play on?

King_Ghidra
16-05-2005, 10:37:46
stormrage

Shining1
17-05-2005, 00:49:40
]quote]This was al fun and games until the orc boss's minions, two enraged wyverns, made mincemeat of the entire raid.[/quote]

You guys attacked the wind rider?!?

BAD move. BAD.

It's hard to raid the other faction's bases in ashenvale until you have a few level 40 guys to help out - the guards are level 40 and will hit you hard otherwise. But don't ever pull the wind rider master into battle if you can avoid it - level 55 elite that spawns multiple elite minions (the Wyverns). Generally regarded as needing at least two level 60s to deal with.

King_Ghidra
17-05-2005, 09:02:10
:D yeah don't ask me who did that, i got whacked by a guard and was sitting there wating for a rez when these two nasty buggers appeared and the entire raid started dropping like flies.

Made lvl 27 last night.

Training costs are really starting to ramp up, 63s for the hunter skills at this level. Not only that but i was stunned to see it will cost me 4g to get my artisan skinner. No way i'm paying that and i'm at just over 200 now so i guess i'l hit the cap fairly soon. My leatherworking is 140, it's been fun, useful and profitable having this skill.

I've got about 10g saved, but i keep reading about the mounts at lvl 40 and how much they cost. Should i start saving for that now?

I have some Blackfathom deep dungeon quests sitting around, might try and get a group together to try some of that soon, although i've been reading some stuff about hunters in instances that makes me think to tread warily.

zmama
17-05-2005, 12:21:22
Save save save

save save save

Your spells will be one gold per soon, too. Being a skinner...find some Worgs. Humanoids with money that you can skin. Some lvl 24-27 ones in Duskwood

Hunters do have a bad rep in instances. Mostly because they don't tend to be team players. Doesn't mean they have to suck, but they generally aren't a groups first choice.

MDA
17-05-2005, 12:26:31
Wanna play. :(

zmama
17-05-2005, 12:28:19
Play with us!!! :)

maybe after you move?

MDA
17-05-2005, 12:39:26
We move Friday. Cable modem should be installed Monday. So... sometime after that, unless we spend the last bit of our money on door locks and paint.

I don't usually want to play online stuff, but this just sounds so cool. I've only done Diablo II and a few hours of Counterstrike.

zmama
17-05-2005, 12:54:43
A warning though. If you buy a US version of the game you will only be able to play on US servers. Blizzard hints that this will change but...

I play on the euro servers thanks to Funko who mailed me the game ( I sent him the "gift" of the game from Amazon UK) and Mightytree who set up the account for me. I set up a US account for MT so he could play here

Shining1
17-05-2005, 13:27:27
A convoluted process to get my MiL playing online games to say the least, but who's arguing? =)

KG, here is some advice you might need:

SAVING FOR A MOUNT

Mounts cost about 100G, usually total (10G for training to ride them and then 100G for the mount, subject to 10% honoured discount.)

To get this money, you will probably have to start using the Auction House in Ironforge. If you haven't been there yet, I recommend the trip (from Auberdine to Menethil in the wetlands, then east and south through into Loch Modan and up west into the dwarven heartland.) Otherwise, you can make a Dwarf alt and just run them there.

Stuff generally auctions for a LOT more than it sells to vendors. Especially basic gathering skill items like leather, herbs, and minerals. Some later stuff literal vendors for about 4S and goes for 6G in the AH!

Once you start using the Auction House properly, and manage to save enough in between times, you shouldn't have a problem getting enough gold to afford a mount the moment you hit 40.

HUNTERS IN INSTANCES

Playing a Hunter in an instance can be a little more challenging. Instances require the group to successfully pull small groups of monsters at a time, without aggroing everything around them all at once. Hunter pets can be a massive liability to the group if not properly controlled - chasing off after things and bringing back a lot more mobs than the group can deal with.

Keeping your pet under control goes a long way towards solving such problems. People should be quite happy to see you in BFD as a level 27 hunter - Hunters are good damage and can generally fight elites very effectively thanks to their pet. Also, tracking (track hidden especially) is a nice skill for BFD.

King_Ghidra
17-05-2005, 13:33:54
A convoluted process to get my MiL playing online games to say the least, but who's arguing? =)

and thanks for the advice, i was reading the FAQ in the hunter forum about instances, and saw some of the stuff about pet behaviour. Also FFXI taught me a lot of good habits in those kinds of environments so hope i'll be a good team-mate as and when.

As for the mount, yeah i've been thinking recently of making more of the auction houses. I tend to consume a lot of the raw materials i farm to raise my leatherworking, but i guess that what i produce would probably be worth more on the AH than selling to npc's.

How many items can you have on sale at once in the AH?

Shining1
17-05-2005, 13:42:24
Definitely less than 100. =)

Occasionally you can sell items on the AH for a very good profit, but these are kinda few and far between. Armor Kits aren't bad, and Green Leather Armor was worth at least a 10th of my mount with my Rogue. (It's an item thats required for a very good blacksmithing recipe). If you can get a good racket going, where you're one of the premier providers of that item on the server, it helps a lot as you can find the right price more easily. If in doubt, just sell it for a few silver less than what the other person is offering it for. =)

If you've played any other MORPORK, you should be fine with instancing groups. The bad people are the Diablo2 fans who can't grasp the concept of playing a specific roll in a group and instead run around grabbing new mobs they can't handle without letting everyone else ready first.

Oh, and ninja looters. Ala, people who roll on items they shouldn't (like, say, a mage rolling on a blue two handed sword that's Bind on Pickup) or who pick items off a corpse after everyone's passed on the roll.

It's hard to go wrong in BFD so long as you have someone who can heal and a Warrior or Paladin to tank the big mobs.

zmama
17-05-2005, 13:55:06
You need to cultivate patience for the AH. Start slow and see what sells well. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't go the first time, but be prepared to vendor after the second or third try.
Monday thru wed are usually not big for selling. Things pick up during the weekends. It helps to study the market and try to figure out your customers.

The one thing we make consistant big bucks on is copper. Easiest thing to mine but in giant demand

Mightytree
17-05-2005, 15:32:52
How NOT to wipe your group - A support character's guide to grouping (http://wow.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=21&mid=111212238539132590&num=20)

Making money 1 (http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/guides.html?guide=386)

Making money 2 (http://www.theamazonbasin.com/wow/forums/index.php?showtopic=4235)

Making money 3 (http://www.theamazonbasin.com/wow/forums/index.php?showtopic=3319)

King_Ghidra
17-05-2005, 15:52:56
nice links.

Some of these tactics i am familiar with from UO and FFXI, but some excellent specific tips on hunting locations thanks :beer:

King_Ghidra
17-05-2005, 16:46:04
PS MT are you JackieDaniels on that board? If so, you have some high level chars on the same server as me, so you can just give me the money :D

Mightytree
17-05-2005, 17:03:07
Yes, I am.

Are you playing on a US server though (because I am)? When you said you were playing on Stormrage I assumed there's also a Euro server called Stormrage and you're playing there.

Besides, between all my characters I probably only have a total of about 100g at the moment, so I'm the wrong person to talk to for a loan for your mount. ;)

King_Ghidra
17-05-2005, 17:09:51
oh balls, i forgot about the usa/euro thing, yeah i'm on the euro stormrage

damn, there goes my powerlevel ;)

Mightytree
17-05-2005, 17:51:25
About hunters in instances ...

The problem is that they neither have an obvious role in a party (like tank / healer / DPS / off-tank / off-healer) nor any special abilities that make them valuable (like the warlock's soulstone one). Every other class in the game has either one or the other. Some people say that the hunter's designated role in a party is that of the puller, but if you're honest you'll see that even if their abilities are excellent for that job, pulling isn't really something that needs any special abilities. Any class can do it. Having a spot in a 5-man group especially for a puller is a waste IMO.

If I had to put together a 5-man group for an instance run, it'd probably look something like this:

Warrior (Tank)
Priest or Druid (Primary Healer)
Mage (DPS / Crowd Control / AoE)
Rogue (DPS / Crowd Control)
Paladin (Off-tank / Off-healer)

The hunter is not really a bad DPS class or off-tank, but his problem is that there's always a class better at the job so he's never the first choice for anything.

Asher
18-05-2005, 01:06:34
This is a great movie. :D

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=1666

LEEROY!!!!!

Shining1
18-05-2005, 02:02:55
At least I have chicken...

Shining1
18-05-2005, 02:09:30
Yeah Hunters can suffer a little bit in groups because of that.

The upside is that it's generally enough of a pain getting a 5 man group together for anything that it's not THAT hard, usually, getting into a group. Best thing to do is to spec your talents for marksmanship, so your DPS is the best it can be. You aren't quite as good as a mage then (no sheep spell), but you're a lot more stable since you don't run out of mana, and your pet/armor mean you don't fall down nearly as fast when aggroed.

Also, if you find a group that's willing to wait a moment for you to set a frost trap, they will learn to like you a lot more. Frost Trap IS good CC, at least at the levels you are talking about.

Finally, make sure you have the best gun money can buy once you are over level 30. Leveling slows down a bit then and the investment starts to pay off a bit more.

zmama
18-05-2005, 02:23:09
And get yourself an engineer to make you scopes for your guns! They can be costly to make (gems) but add tons of damage.

The big one I just made is damn cool looking too :)

And Asher, great movie :) I'd swear I played with that guy...but his name was Goose not Leeeeroy

MattHiggs
18-05-2005, 08:47:06
Spent some time around Crossroads last night and did a few solo quests. Level 16 now. :)

Asher
23-05-2005, 06:24:40
http://www.heroes-alliance.com

Note: turn your sound up

Shining1
23-05-2005, 09:51:12
I like the song. =)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-05-2005, 18:02:56
I had an experience similar to KG's pvp thing on the weekend. About 40 very high level Horde cowards descended upon Darnassus to harass the level 10-15 players that were hanging around by killing trainers and the like. Best part was when they went for the Arch Druid - he wiped them out single handed. Was fun to watch.

Many Horde groups kept the patern up over the weekend - was a very busy PvP time on the server.

On to other things, my 10 day freebie expires in about 11 hours, and my own copy doesn't arrive until Thursday, according to the tracking website :( Oh well, gives me more time to finish off Babylon 5 season 5 :D

zmama
24-05-2005, 02:18:22
hehehay!

The Qaj-ers are hooked too :)

MattHiggs
24-05-2005, 08:41:03
Lvl 17 now; I'm such a slow leveller!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-05-2005, 14:44:17
At least three of us, maybe four :)

During the ten day trial period I managed to get four distint characters to about level 15. I've got a lvl17 mage, and lvl13 wawrrior. By far the most difficult leveler has been the warrior, which is sort of counterintuitive to me. :confused:

Shining1
26-05-2005, 01:38:03
After all I said to Zmama, I'm playing a Warrior now... it's fantastic.

Ignore the first twenty levels, and get a rare two handed axe. Solves all problems. =)

Shining1
26-05-2005, 01:39:45
So, uh, why did The Management edit your post? =)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
26-05-2005, 05:10:01
The Management always edits my posts... :gasmaske:

King_Ghidra
26-05-2005, 08:14:29
Been off work sick as a dog, so in lieu of anything productive i've been spending plenty of time in Azeroth. Should hit 33 today with my hunter.

Went to Stranglethorn vale a couple of days ago and i think it's probably my favourite area of the game so far. From the lush jungle graphics, very reminiscent of Far Cry, to the film and literature themed quests (Kurzen compound/Apocalypse Now & Hemet Nesingwary/Erenest Hemingway) plus the brilliant Booty Bay i've got a love for this place.

Oh and pretty much everything can be skinned too - leatherworking/skinnning at 183/225 now :)

MattHiggs
26-05-2005, 12:12:30
How many levels do you usually get whilst playing?

I played for about 3 hours last night and only levelled once. I was doing a quest where I had to kill 30 mobs in total.

lightblue
26-05-2005, 12:16:57
It gets slower (with a few exceptions, say where you hand in 5-6 quests from an instance). The first 20 or so lvls usually go fast. High 30's Low 40's is pretty fast too. Low-middle 50's is very slow.

MDA
26-05-2005, 15:11:05
Hah, just got a free few months of fast cable modem connection.

Now I need the game.

Already leaning toward a dwarf with an axe. Its a reflection of my inner self.

Shining1
27-05-2005, 00:44:59
Rogue and Priest can't use axes.

Warrior - main tank, can produce goodish damage LATE in the game. Not very strong unless you have a great weapon. Kinda essential to groups, unlike Pallys and Hunters.

Paladin - very good for solo leveling, bit weak in Player vs Player (at the moment, and this is somewhat gear related). You tend to get used more as a healer the later the game goes.

Hunter - can use axes occasionally, really more of a gunner tho.

King_Ghidra
31-05-2005, 09:21:44
I made 36 this weekend. Have about 45 gold saved up so far, so i'm pretty confident of getting the requisite amount for my mount, particularly as my money making powers seem to have increased considerably in the last few levels (Also i created an alt in IF to help with buying and selling).

I'm at a bit of a strange point with SV, the quests i have are all reds at the moment, and i'd like a change of scenery, but i'm not sure of another zone that might be suitable. I went to Desolace but it appears to be slightly too low for me in the main. Feralas is probably slightly too high, so not sure where else. I could just hang around SV and grind/farm but i did quite a lot of that to get to 36.

Leatherworking up to 196 atm. At 200 i get a bunch of fun new things to do, but to get there i need to grind out four more recipes that all require shit that is just not happening. Heavy hide has a very low drop rate, and other stuff like shadow oil and moss agate is also extremely rare and difficult to get hold of even at the AH, where i seem to be bidding against about seven million other people who want the same things. Very annoying.

King_Ghidra
31-05-2005, 09:30:48
oh and i finally finished the tower of althalaxx last night (green to me now) but Delgen the purifier was once again broken and wouldn't talk with me or anyone elese at the end. He seems to be broken every other week :bash:

The Higgelhoff
31-05-2005, 09:42:36
Level 17 still. Just not got the enthusiasm to level further.

zmama
31-05-2005, 10:37:49
K_G try the Arathi highlands. Even if the mobs might be on the lowish side for your taste, the skinning will be good.

I like Desolace, but mainly for cash and mining...some nice undead to smash, too :D

Moss agate isn't that rare (not easy but not rare rare). You need to make friends with a miner

King_Ghidra
31-05-2005, 11:15:51
yeah actually i already have done quite a few quests and bits of farming in arathi. You're right though, particularly the raptors are a godsend for leatherworking. I have a couple of quests in stromgarde but haven't really been in there yet. Funniest thing in arathi is the people constantly shouting to try and find fozluk (?) the giant. I did see him once when i was much lower level and i shit it, i'll admit :D

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
31-05-2005, 15:16:09
Had a 4 day weekend for Memorial day, and LoC took the kids to her sister's place, so I have the house to myself for almost 3 days. So I started a new character - dwarf hunter - and I have to say, he is far superior to my NE hunter. As of last night, he's up to lvl22. Been pulling in money all sorts at the AH though, which is nice. I just wish some of the equipment I find I could use instead of sell :D

zmama
01-06-2005, 01:06:14
elvz R gay

Shining1
01-06-2005, 02:18:52
Trn R furry

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-06-2005, 02:30:52
Elvis is gay??

zmama
01-06-2005, 10:40:38
yup

and pope

King_Ghidra
01-06-2005, 11:22:34
I decided to stick around STV and farm humanoids to finish the Stranglethorn tales quests with the missing pages. There's a troll camp on the beach with level 36 and 37 trolls and it is superb for farming. I'm just shy of 37 at the mo and i managed to finish up the quests plus make some sweet loot.

A bigger bonus was i joined a much better guild than the first one i stumbled into. This one seems to have a much more active, lively and UK based membership so hopefully some good times ahead.

zmama
01-06-2005, 13:34:46
Make sure to save any of those flasks of mojo that the trolls drop. If your guildies (that are eng) don't want em...should sell well on the AH

Gotta have it for the gnomish shrink ray :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
01-06-2005, 20:38:56
I had a good night at the AH last night - 10g from sales. Not bad for someone not far out of the 10-20 level zones. Of course, most of that is from linen and copper sales. I shouldn't have much problem affording a mount when the time comes.

Also, I hit lvl24 this morning, so I'm spot on for tackling some of the more challenging Wetlands quests now.

Quite possibly the worst aspect of the game right now is that if I stand still for more than 5 seconds in IF some 12 year old who can't spell will foist his guild charter on me without even a word. There isn't some way of ignoring someone's uninvited guild crap, is there?

zmama
01-06-2005, 20:52:01
yeah join a guild :)

Mightytree
01-06-2005, 21:03:46
What she said.

Seriously.

zmama
01-06-2005, 21:10:50
It was the worst with my priest alt.
You'd have thought I was made of gold

Asher
02-06-2005, 00:42:45
My L32 priest has enough money for an epic mount.

King_Ghidra
02-06-2005, 09:05:13
I reaped some of the beefits of guild membership last night when someone kindly donated some heavy hide so that i could finish getting up to 200 leatherworking. After that i was finally able to use my thick hide and reached 210 very quickly. A lot of the stuff you can make is + agility so i've really benefited from this profession.

in other news hit level 37 and went out and tamed broken tooth, the fastest attack speed pet in the game. In conjunction with some of the hunter beast mastery talents, frenzy and spirit bond, should prove to be pretty sexy.

Shining1
02-06-2005, 13:41:20
Sounds like it's going to be a fun level 40. =)

Vincent
05-06-2005, 19:23:34
So, where's MDA? I wanna kill him and eat his corpse!

zmama
06-06-2005, 00:21:50
hehehehe

Come on MDA make a dwarf pali and come to visit me on the Barrens :D

King_Ghidra
06-06-2005, 09:36:52
woot got to level 40 last night. With the missus away on the weekend i did grind pretty heavily.

I pretty much had exactly enough money to get my mount, without having to sell essential items. Unfortunately that means i couldn't afford any of the sexy new abilities that open at 40 so i expect it'll be half a level's worth of money farming before i can get them.

Also got leatherworking up to 231 and did some of the wild leather quests. Haven't decided on a specialisation yet, but i'm told elemental leatherworking is the best in terms of general items and hunter/agi-type items.

The Higgelhoff
06-06-2005, 09:51:23
wild leather quests :hmm:

lightblue
06-06-2005, 10:10:10
Maybe if you like wearing leather, dragonscale is the leatherworking branch that gives mail. The black dragon recipes give +attack power so not all that bad for hunters, no AGI/crit gear though.

King_Ghidra
06-06-2005, 10:40:10
yeah i considered it, but i read some posts on the forums from people who had gone dragonscale and said they regretted it.

zmama
06-06-2005, 11:08:41
I'm going dragonscale with my Shammie -gotta have the mail.
Plenty of higher lvls in the guild to to help me with it

lightblue
06-06-2005, 12:11:13
The main problem I found with dragonscale i found is that you need a lot of fairly rare drops (30-60scales for the high end recipes, 5% drop rate or so when skinning dragons who are argely always elite), and that the effort does not counterbalance the profit you can make of it. I dumped it and got mining instead, better cash selling bars/crystals/gems etrc on my server at least. Might go Armorsmith if I ever get my hands on the Invulnerable Mail recipe.

zmama
06-06-2005, 13:06:06
Yeah...I know its not a money maker but I think I want to try for the challenge. I have a purely gathering alt for cash making right now.

I figure if I can make a nice set for myself and then switch to mining, it'll work out

fp
06-06-2005, 14:03:27
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
With the missus away on the weekend i did grind pretty heavily.

:hmm:

:D

King_Ghidra
06-06-2005, 14:06:38
:o

MDA
06-06-2005, 15:29:55
hehehehe

Come on MDA make a dwarf pali and come to visit me on the Barrens :D

I'm ready, who do I have to pay off to get a Vinny/Zmama of the game? Or can you get Euro server enabled versions at Best Buy now?

Actually, I'll be in the Outer Banks next week, but there's mailing time, man, mailing time! If it got here before I left I could achieve high geekdom by reading the manual on the beach!

Paladin? Warrior. Dwarf or Tauren. Anything but an Elf.

lightblue
06-06-2005, 17:25:47
Yeah...I know its not a money maker but I think I want to try for the challenge. I have a purely gathering alt for cash making right now.

I figure if I can make a nice set for myself and then switch to mining, it'll work out

Even for yourself it's hardly worth it once you're 60. The set items are about as good (if not better) and some of the random stuff (like Backwood Helm from DM is definetely better). My guild is starting to head into MC as well now so the tier 2-3 sets are definitely better.

zmama
07-06-2005, 01:19:18
Originally posted by MDA
I'm ready, who do I have to pay off to get a Vinny/Zmama of the game? Or can you get Euro server enabled versions at Best Buy now?

Actually, I'll be in the Outer Banks next week, but there's mailing time, man, mailing time! If it got here before I left I could achieve high geekdom by reading the manual on the beach!

Paladin? Warrior. Dwarf or Tauren. Anything but an Elf.

Elfz iz gay!!111!
I'm liking Tauren a LOT. Dwarf is good if Alliance...but my heart is really tending "For the Horde" right now. But if you're a dwarf then Vinnie can kill you and eat your corpse.

What I did was order the game from Amazon UK and had it sent to Funko...he then mailed it to me. You will have to find someone that would volunteer to do the same. Hope someone likes you here :D

Shining1
07-06-2005, 02:09:05
Tauren Warrior is exceptionally solid. A little hard to level compared with some others, and a bit expensive to gear out (Arcanite Reaper at level 58 can require a LOT of grinding to get the materiels for), but you're a great boon to groups.

Shining1
08-06-2005, 08:51:22
BATTLEGROUNDS!!

RAARGH!

King_Ghidra
08-06-2005, 09:01:22
euro servers being updated now

guess i'll get to give it a go this evening

:shoot:@horde

Shining1
08-06-2005, 09:02:28
Horde will pwn you!!1!

Spartak
08-06-2005, 09:43:15
Shiny sighting!

King_Ghidra
08-06-2005, 15:52:34
well the boards are understandably red hot with BG discussion. Amidst the flaming and suchlike, one of the strongest messages to emerge seems to be that because horde players have been used to being outnumbered in pvp since day dot, they are much stronger in BG where the field is even and their stronger skills and tactics shine through.

Vincent
08-06-2005, 16:51:39
Excellent update speed : 0 KB/sec using DSL. 15 Mins for 1 MB (so it'll take 10 hours). Great servers!!!

paiktis22
08-06-2005, 18:13:38
Is there any issue with cheating at this game? for example can one hack it? a friend of mine has gone bonkers with that game. he almost does nothing else.

Vincent
08-06-2005, 18:16:05
He needs Munich

paiktis22
08-06-2005, 18:21:47
He must buy the city?

Vincent
08-06-2005, 18:31:31
Not worth buying it. But an excellent exile

paiktis22
08-06-2005, 18:45:07
I didn't understand anything.

Vincent
08-06-2005, 19:34:26
Congrats

zmama
09-06-2005, 00:57:37
It is better that way :)

zmama
09-06-2005, 00:58:13
BUT THE BATTLEGROUNDS ARE FANTASTIC!!!

Mightytree
09-06-2005, 01:05:08
They are, if you don't die of old age before you get in ...

zmama
09-06-2005, 01:18:00
I waited 15 mins, was worth it

As someone said...
Horde will pwn you!!1!

:bouncmsk: :bouncmsk: :bouncmsk:

Shining1
09-06-2005, 01:31:51
Pakitis: I've personally seen a couple of situations that could only be described as hacks. Both of which related to the speed the character moved at. Accounts were closed and it's certainly a 'Wow, that's rare' moment instead of a wide spread thing.

Get the battlegrounds patch from Fileplanet at Gamespy.com. Don't even bother with the WoW bittorrent downloader. If you have cool guild or cool computery friends (or both), you might find it elsewhere too.

Patch DL took about 5 minutes once I was past the half hour wait time. And in all honesty, that's about how long BattleGrounds takes to get going as well.

Must have gotten about 100 kills yesterday, too. =) Order of magnitude above anything I managed with my Paladin.

paiktis22
09-06-2005, 14:31:31
I was being literal, that's really about a friend who's stuck with the game, not me. And I really was wondering if cheating is going on. My only affair with roleplaying online gaming was the first diablo where a guy lured me in the dungeons and killed me instantly with one hit and took all my armor and gear and then said "sucker". so i was just wondering

zmama
09-06-2005, 15:14:02
Nothing like that Paiktis.
Now are there people that will try to scam you out of money and or passwords?

Sure...Just like the rest of the interhighwaywebaramadingdong and real life too. I haven't personally seen any though in WoW.

King_Ghidra
09-06-2005, 15:38:18
Come on where's all the posts about everyone's experiences of BG?

I want to hear some stories about great tactics and pwnage

Mightytree
09-06-2005, 19:35:27
My experience with BGs?

Waited twice for two hours to get in before I gave up.

zmama
10-06-2005, 01:31:51
We won...3/1...no great tactics.
Just sheer stubborness :D

I love the fact they had to put two rogues on me everytime to bring me down :)

Shining1
10-06-2005, 02:29:47
Originally posted by paiktis22
I was being literal, that's really about a friend who's stuck with the game, not me. And I really was wondering if cheating is going on. My only affair with roleplaying online gaming was the first diablo where a guy lured me in the dungeons and killed me instantly with one hit and took all my armor and gear and then said "sucker". so i was just wondering

Heh. I think they changed Diablo even so that if PKed your items didn't fall off for everyone to pick up.

The PvP servers in WoW offer you a similar experience of being one-shotted for 1000+ damage as a level 11 with maybe 300hps by a stealthed level 60 Rogue sneaking up on you.

Otherwise, on a normal or roleplaying server, there is nothing remotely like what you described that can happen you to. The worst possible things involve people either training large numbers of mobs over to where you are and then going invulnerable somehow, or STEALING YOUR FUCKING MINE WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO GET ARCANITE FROM IT AND SOMETHING AGGROS YOU ASFDRRRGHGHRLFFUGHSAHHHH!

Battlegrounds tactics... come on KG, it's capture the flag. You should be giving US tactics. =)

Seriously. Concepts like 'protect the flag' are a little alien to some people even.

And what MT says is true, unless you're playing on the Horde side during peak hours on most servers, you will be waiting around for frikkin ages before getting in.

King_Ghidra
10-06-2005, 09:22:27
:D i still haven't actually tried to get in to one yet, mainly from a lack of a whole evening in the past few days.

from what i read, hunters can be pretty effective defending the flag what with their traps and concussion shot and suchlike. As a NE i can shadowmeld around the flag zone too which could be a nasty surprise for someone.

Well hopefully i'll get a chance this weekend. omw to level 42 at the moment.

BigGameHunter
10-06-2005, 19:59:19
I'm feeling very left out.

I must be about 50 light years behind the rest of the gaming world.

Oh well...at least all my games are $5 and don't require a new computer...when I'm retired I'll buy a 6' plasma monitor and play all day.

zmama
11-06-2005, 00:25:43
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
:D i still haven't actually tried to get in to one yet, mainly from a lack of a whole evening in the past few days.

from what i read, hunters can be pretty effective defending the flag what with their traps and concussion shot and suchlike. As a NE i can shadowmeld around the flag zone too which could be a nasty surprise for someone.

Well hopefully i'll get a chance this weekend. omw to level 42 at the moment.

Well in my last BG the friggin hunter decided he was gonna be the tank :rolleyes:

We won in spite of him

Shining1
11-06-2005, 03:10:47

That's my widdle camping whore!!:D

Hard to go past a Hunter and a Shaman for flag defense, certainly.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-06-2005, 15:23:11
Well in my last BG the friggin hunter decided he was gonna be the tank :rolleyes:

We won in spite of him

In a similar story, I recently was part of a group where the two paladins decided they would be ranged spellcasters and use all their mana doing things other than healing. So when the injured party members called out to be healed, they were out of mana. EVERY DAMN TIME.

Some people should play WoW. Or at the very least shouldn't play certain classes until they know how. :rolleyes:

Shining1
13-06-2005, 04:07:52
It has been my bitter experience playing a Paladin that most other Paladins are tards.

Even the notion of 'heal someone else' seems utterly lost on these guys, who think they are playing a plate wearing DPS class with infinite life.

It was seriously about twenty level 60 raids worth of play before I saw the skill 'Divine Intervention' in use for the first time. And that's a pretty handy raiding skill!

King_Ghidra
13-06-2005, 09:09:45
hit 43 today

currently flitting between tanaris, STV, feralas and the hinterlands

quests seem to be taking me all over the place these days, 'hi, i'm a NE in ru'theran, go and speak to a goblin in Gadgetzan' etc.

leatherworking up to about 240, nearly finished all the wild leather quests

so far i haven't tried BG yet (i realised i had flipped over into the next level range and didn't fancy being the worst guy on the map) and i have still done hardly any instance stuff. i'll get there.

i had the great fortune yesterday to find my first epic weapon, a fiery war axe, which i was able to sell directly for 50g, at least 10g more than the two that were sitting in the AH.

zmama
13-06-2005, 11:03:46
It has been my bitter experience playing a Paladin that most other Paladins are tards.

Even the notion of 'heal someone else' seems utterly lost on these guys, who think they are playing a plate wearing DPS class with infinite life.

It was seriously about twenty level 60 raids worth of play before I saw the skill 'Divine Intervention' in use for the first time. And that's a pretty handy raiding skill!

Yup thats why I love to see a flagged paladin. They usually play so stupid and think they are gods. So satisfying to slaughter. I just keep hitting purge until they run out of mana and wham.

I have only met one paladin to fight that seemed to have a clue. He was pretty darn good.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-06-2005, 17:23:44
I've met two who were any good, admittedly in the lower (under 20) levels though. Capable of being backup tank if needed, and well-timed healing.

On a completely different front, my Gnome Mage did the Secret Chicken Quest, and now sports a prairie chicken as a non-combat pet. It gets a lot of favorable comments from other players, and most importantly LoC likes it :D

Mightytree
13-06-2005, 22:46:23
There's one huge problem with the Alterac Valley battleground that causes those enormous waiting times - on most of the servers the Alliance population is in the vast majority. What that means is that, even *if* there are enough Horde players interested (which happens seldom enough - mostly it's late evening EST, which in turn is way too late for me) they will be outnumbered 40:30 or even worse and find themselves at a significant disadvantage.

So what do the Horde players do? They run Warsong Gulch instead - which in turn forces the Alliance players to run WG also. And that's driving up the waiting times for WG.

The problem with WG is that you are entirely dependant on pickup-groups, since joining the battleground as an already established group seems to increase waiting times exponentially. WG is great if you're in an at least somewhat organized group, but often pickup groups are the exact opposite of that. I've just come out of a WG run in which we got our butts handed to us because the other side followed the very simple tactic of *sticking together* (brilliant, I know) while in my team everybody went their own way. We lost 0-3 and the run was over after 15 minutes. And that's what I've waited for?

WG is good fun if you're in an organized group (chance of that happening: 1/3). AV is so far non-existant on most servers. Overall extremely disappointing.

There's not really much Blizzard can do about the population imbalance and the problems with AV. For some reason playing the good guys appeals to people more than playing the bad guys. Personally I find the whole look and atmosphere of the Horde a lot better than the Alliance, but that's only me sadly. But there's lots than can be done about the WG instance. First of all Blizzard needs to find a better queueing systme that allows groups to enter the instance quicker. And second they simply have to devote more servers to the battlegrounds. You know there's something wrong when there are a hundred characters waiting at the entrance and there are only 2 instances up.

Shining1
14-06-2005, 06:41:17
I have only met one paladin to fight that seemed to have a clue. He was pretty darn good.

If it was possible to run from a shaman, I would. =)

However you can get by without your blessing, and then it's just a case of recasting SoC everytime before you attack (good with a big slow two-hander) and running the shaman out of mana. Hammer of Justice/Divine Favour for a 2500 point heal buys you some good time, and there's not a thing they can do about Divine Shield, of course.

Very very hard fight if something goes wrong or if you don't have one of those timers up.

MT: Everything you wrote.

QTFY.

King_Ghidra
17-06-2005, 11:03:55
Did some pvp in various modes yesterday.

First i duelled a few people in gadgetzan.

I got absolutely owned by an undead mage two levels above me (i'm currently 44) twice. I have no idea what he was hitting me with but i couldn't move, couldn't keep him at a distance and didn't do jack to him before my health was gone gone gone.

Then i fought a dwarf paladin one level below me. This was a really good fight. I was able to wing clip him and get at distance, with my pet pounding on him while i shot him. When his health got really low he just managed to get off some kind of heal and we then went through the same process again and again he managed to get his heal off before i could finish him off. Finally i ran out of mana and he managed to get close to me and beat me.

Lastly a shaman several levels below me challeneged me and i blew through him in no time.

Later in the evening my guild leader (lvl 55) asked if anyone was up for gurubashi arena. I'd never done it, assuming this was a level 60 playground, but my GL said 'no it's usually pretty empty anyway, a few 35-45' so i thought what the hell and another lvl 55 and a 35 from my guild also tagged along.

When we arrived at the arena there were at least twenty other people there, if not more! :D Everything from 35 upwards, including a level 60 paladin.

i was having some connection problems so i got dc'ed and logged back in just as it kicked off. It was a massive chaotic melee ad i leapt in and just tried to find someone to shoot at. But within a few seconds some ??? level hunter's pet had sicced onto me and i was mincemeat. Looking at the party icons i realised so were the rest of my guildies :D

Had no idea if the chest had gone yet so we all res'ed ad jumped back in. The arena was beginning to clear of live players but we just started on everything that was stil moving and this time i managed to take out a warrior and assist my guildies. We were pretty much in control of the arena but some remaining high level player then killed me again and somehow the rest of my guildies died too. We realised the chest was gone and called it quits.

It was a fun evening and a harsh lesson for me. To begin with i was panicking and making horrible stupid errors like dragging icons off my taskbar (now locked), but i got some composure in the later fights. Obviously I have a lot to learn about various tactics and things to do. For now i still want to focus on levelling but i'll probably try and join in with pvp things increasingly.

The Higgelhoff
17-06-2005, 11:23:35
PvP in MMORPGs really makes my heart race. Not too sure why because if I'm playing an FPS it's a totally lesser reaction.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-06-2005, 20:15:39
I tried Warsong Gulch last night w/lvl25 Gnome Mage. It was nice, first three times I got straight in with no waiting, although the first time I chose a game that was already in progress, and was deposited in the Alliance flag room right as a well-organized group of Horde were stealing the flag. I didn't last long, and we lost that game 0-3 (I joined at 0-2).

Next game we lost 0-3.

Next game we also lost 0-3.

Alliance sucks. Or maybe it was just our crappy "run around like Mike the Headless Chicken" Alliance group opposing (or trying to) a Horge group that (as mentioned above) _stuck together_. There wasn't even any leadership giving orders over /1.

But I did think it cool that at one point I manged to get the flag and get 3/4's of the way back to base before I was backstabbed by some rogue, who I took great delight in consistently hunting down and killing (or at least sheeping) for the rest of the match.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-06-2005, 20:17:41
And where is MDA, anyhow? I need someone decent to group with, my 11-year olds su-UCK. "Hey, I should run off in that direction and loot that corpse while you go die horribly somewhere else! What do you mean, pay attention? What do you mean, teamwork??" :)

Vincent
24-06-2005, 07:02:39
What makes you think MDA would be different?

King_Ghidra
24-06-2005, 09:59:54
Still haven't been into the BG yet, but have done some proper pvp in raids recently.

Had one good experience (although it was a crap raid really) and off the back of that made private rank. Next day took part in a dreadful raid, which was most notable for me being killed 3 times in a row by two stealthed undead rogues standing in our own ranks :(

hit level 47 last night though :) i'm getting there...

MDA
24-06-2005, 11:45:35
I'm going to go ahead and buy the US version tonight.

What realm/server thingy are you on Qaj?

And Vinny has an excellent point. I'll be a complete noob.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-06-2005, 19:41:07
All my Alliance chars are on Eldre'Thalas, chosen for the lower population. My Horde chars are somewhere else on an RP server (there's no point to them being on the same server as my Alliance ones as far as I can see) which I think is Scarlet Crusade, but I can't be sure of that.

I have a third server with characters I group with my kids, but I can't be bothered remembering that most days due to their reluctance to group properly, I rarely play them.

You might be a complete noob, but I bet you'd be more open to learning how to behave in a group setting. The kids have been playing it for months and still won't take suggestions on teamwork. *sigh*

re: installing, try to D/L the standalone patches somewhere, it's far quicker than the Blizzard BitTorrent patching. I think there are links on the official WoW page that'll point you there.

On an unrelated note, I bought my first 16-slot bag yesterday (20-25g if you find someone selling them off-AH), and have almost enough money for a second. This makes loot runs that much more profitable, leading to more large bags, more money, spiraling profits etc. All good stuff.

BigGameHunter
24-06-2005, 20:02:01
Sounds like investing in the military industrial complex to me.

MDA
24-06-2005, 21:35:48
Support our troops!

Buy Warcraft Bonds!

Just finished installing and patching. Patches took a lot less time than the rest of installation - I'll bet it took 10 minutes for each CD.

MDA
25-06-2005, 00:06:10
I'm on Skyfall at the moment, but could start again.

Tauren Warrior named Brahmin.

Edit: Skywall, I meant Skywall. :o

zmama
25-06-2005, 00:39:27
Yay!! and Moooo

And For the Horde!

MDA
25-06-2005, 01:50:39
Qaj, check your PMs!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-06-2005, 04:14:32
Check my PMs? Surely you jest! I'm lucky if I get one every year, let alone plural! Reply sent, however :)

MDA
25-06-2005, 04:28:05
Some guy sold me some decent armor for not too prohibitive a price tonight - I ran out and collected 5 sp (took 30 minutes) and he made me some copper bracers and leggings. I could have bought nearly equivalent stuff in the shop for 5.50, I think.

I'm herbal, and soon alchemy. Subsisting on bandages and ghosts at the moment.

zmama
25-06-2005, 11:09:09
Keep a watch out for a priest or druid or shaman to make friends with.

Esp.a priest can use your tank-iness and can keep you fighting for a looooong time. Makes a killer duo.

Shining1
25-06-2005, 12:26:29
Click here for a Patch 1.6 preview! (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldofwarcraft.co.kr %2Finfo%2Fworld%2Fnews2005%2Fnews_item160.html%23&langpair=ko%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
26-06-2005, 03:01:57
Short cut!

MDA
26-06-2005, 07:42:17
Aiiieeeee! Splat.

MDA
26-06-2005, 23:32:12
found some poor lv5 on the barrens that fell there - he had a panic attack and was begging for a guide back to his starting area - he totally forgot he had a hearthstone :lol:

King_Ghidra
27-06-2005, 11:15:29
Hit 48 on the weekend, spent a lot of time in un'goro, a great little area, lots of quests and some cool mobs

the devilsaurs and giant stegasaurs and stuff are very impressive

also last night i made it to winterspring, but that is a bit high level for me yet so i'll return later

MDA
27-06-2005, 11:34:13
I wandered into the forest north of the barrens (to try to get a look at a big PvP battle) and got eaten by a giant spider right out of Harry Potter. I think its a bit odd that none of the lumberjacks or guards seemed to mind a spider rampaging through their camp.

Bought a new +ag +str green sword in the AH last night for 22s - much less than a regular shop-sold claymore that would do roughly the same dps, but had no buffs. Whee.

Wife is totally hooked, but has no urge to play on her own as yet.

Some of these guild recruiting guys seem as if they could care less - I got an invite from a guy, but he didn't name his guild until I asked directly, he didn't tell me what activities they did most often (or at all), and when I started asking questions and showing interest, you'd think he'd give out a name or two from his guild for me to talk to and get a feel for them. No. Nor was he physically present for any part of the conversation AFIKT. No mention of the levels of the guild members or number of players in the guild until I asked. Rocks in his head. I said I'd "think about it" :p

Anyhow, we had much fun with Qaj in the Barrens and Thunder Bluff regions this weekend. Crossroads is raid crazy - I got two kills just passing through.

zmama
27-06-2005, 13:38:40
Don't be so nice :)

I just tell (told since I'm guilded now) them there is no way I would join a guild that asks so rudely!

Eventually the 14 year olds may learn.

What race and class is your wife playing?

MDA
27-06-2005, 14:34:02
Originally posted by MDA
Wife is totally hooked, but has no urge to play on her own as yet.

Emphasis on the YET. This one might get her playing on her own.

She gave me a hard time just for taking the windrider while she stepped out to get a drink. :)

LoC may be joining in, too. :beer:

Edit: So is Ragefire chasm the only good horde instance for Lv14-ish players? Itching to try it, but need to find trainers for mocking blow, I think. And get a good one-hand axe or sword for tanking. Guess I'd be 15 or 16 by then. :)

Mightytree
27-06-2005, 18:04:53
Ignore people and guilds that invite you totally out of the blue. I think it's safe to say that you won't have a good time there if you join. Most quality guilds aren't actively recruiting, so if you want into one you'll have to go look for one yourself. And even if there are some that are recruiting, their approach to recruiting people will be a lot more involving than just shoving invitations into people's faces.

MDA
27-06-2005, 19:08:20
I thought asking a pointed question might get him started into an actual recruitment speech, but no dice.

So researching the guild forums may help - or checking the demographics on the Warcraftrealms site?

Mightytree
27-06-2005, 20:45:47
... or check the forums for your server on the offical site. The official forums are mostly garbage, so quality posts from mature people (belonging to mature guilds) tend to stand out.

... or write down the names of the guilds whose members you enjoyed being in a party with and go from there. Then check their websites and forums to get a better impression.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-06-2005, 21:08:26
The BradyGames strategy guide (which is on loan to my kids from their dad, and I stole to read :D ) reads thusly about Thunder Bluff:

The southeastern most mesa houses the Hunter's Rise where aspiring Hunters go to train within the Hunter's Hall. Standing at the edge of the mesa here will give way to an amazing vista to the south east. Watch your step however. There are no guardrails to keep you from falling to your death. The Tauren are more surefooted than that to care for such things.

Hear that, MDA the Tauren? Surefooted! :lol:

Stupidest guild recruitment I heard was some idiot called "Thecheese" in Ironforge yelling out he needed 10s to start his Aussie-only guild called "The Downunder Dorks" or something equally ridiculous. As an Australian expat of fine standing I took him to task on this begging approach and stupid guild name and told him to go out and grab 20 linen from the gnolls in the quarry - 10 minutes work (he'd been yelling for at least 20).

He told me he was too broke (???), then /trade channeled "WTS [Some blue equipment][Some more blue equipment]" Too broke to start a guild, my foot.

I also found out yesterday my Troll Mage's name, Jambon, means 'Ham' in French. That explains why I was being asked, in French, by some French guy, to join a French guild. I just said non.

LoC is already playing (not much, since she's stuck on a 256Mb machine with a 14" monitor and onboard video at 800x600 - BLEAH!) as a Troll Warrior on the same server as me and MDA. Didn't quest with her, I thought it best if she learned the ropes the hard way and get frustrated at the game instead of me :)

Shining1
28-06-2005, 01:23:03
Which server is that MDA? A U.S one?

zmama
28-06-2005, 01:28:27
Playing on an Rp server now I just haughtly tell the beggars that the Tauren are too proud to beg and that they should be ashamed.

hehehehe

I'm really enjoying the people in my guild, its small and we have a lot of laughs. For the end game we will have to band together with other guilds to do the big raids, but thats common for the Horde side.
As to recruiting...we don't actively recruit, but if there is someone we have teamed with, and really like, we will ask

And poor LoC!! I wasnt really happy with the way the game ran until I got 1 gig. That's mostly for IF and OG though. The rest of the game ran fine with 512 Mb

MDA
28-06-2005, 03:13:36
Ogrimmar is a dog with 512MB, Crossroads can be depending on the size of the current PvP in progress.

Paired with a guy who had the same quests I did tonight for about 45 minutes - he spoke english and said he and some close friends might be starting a "laid-back" guild of their own soon and asked if I'd be interested. I told him to contact me if his plans firm up. You really can tell the idiots from the normals in the first line or two of conversation.

Qaj, check your WoW mail on Scarlet Crusade.:)

finally got defensive stance, sunder, and mocking blow. I might actually be of use to a group now.

...and I'm surefooted, I've just got lemming blood from three generations back on my mother's side.

MDA
28-06-2005, 03:16:30
Which server is that MDA? A U.S one?

I'm on a US server - Either central or West coast - picked because zmama recommended RP, not for location.

My wife was singing "Jambon, Jambon, where you been? - round the world and goin' again!" today. :lol:

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
28-06-2005, 16:55:23
I think you mean Skywall, MDA :) Unless you created a new characer on SC too... :D

Shiny - The Skywall clock is synched to West Coast time. This is nice after having played on an East Coast server up to now, the virtual sunlight is now the same as that outside my window :D Sadly, it's not RP either. MDA hasn't got the hang of changing servers yet, I don't think :D :D Still, a West Coast server suits him better, I think, since it means extended virtual daylight - you can play until 12AM without having to mess with your gamma correction.

MDA
28-06-2005, 17:33:03
I'm fairly certain we played on Scarlet Crusade, but I can't check from work.

I didn't think you could switch servers without starting a new alt.

Shining1
29-06-2005, 00:50:20
Nope, except in some very special cases you can't switch servers without making a new alt.

However, the time and effort invovled in making a new alt is generally small, especially for people who are new to the game. For instance, I'm pretty sure I could take any character from anywhere to level 10 in certainly less than 5 hours. Knowing the solutions to the quests that you formerly spent 2 hours running around the barrens hopelessly looking for makes the game go a lot faster. =)

Cruddy
29-06-2005, 01:25:53
One thing puts me off warcraft - same with other MMORPGs...

... is it hard to get started as a new player? Do established players use newbies as useful harvesting fodder?

I don't fancy signing up for something if I don't at least have at least a tiny chance of defeating sombody of whatever level.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-06-2005, 03:06:56
It's not hard, and established players won't really know you're a newbie as opposed to a vet who's starting a new character just for the heck of it. Course, if you run around ACTING like a noob then some people might pick up on that and try selling you a 6-slot for 1 gold and convince you it's a bargain :D

If you don't want to get killed at a low level, don't play PvP servers. In PvE, you can turn on or off your PvP flag easily enough, and you're untouchable, even by the opposing faction if you so choose (though I'm not sure what happens if your non-PvP flagged Alliance character wanders into Orgrimmar - I get the feeling he's mincemeat regardless. Can anyone confirm or deny that the opposition capitals are auto-PvP?)

MDA, Jambon and Goonie are most definitely on the Skywall server. Check it next like you log in/out - at the top of the character list there's a button - change server - and the current server is written above that. If yours says Scarlet Crusade, then one of us has a major client problem :D And Skywall isn't an RP server either :( )

MDA
29-06-2005, 04:00:42
Hmm. Its true. That explains the total lack of RP. :)

Rescued a Druid in the Barrens tonight - he was down to a sliver or two of health (and the plainstrider was 3/4 full) when I charged in and hit Sunder - it pulled that big bird right off of him and onto me - then we cooked its goose. Nice to have a samaritan rescue work as planned - I even got a thank you message. Big fun. Unfortunately on weeknights I log off just as Qaj finishes dinner.

Mightytree
29-06-2005, 06:29:15
(though I'm not sure what happens if your non-PvP flagged Alliance character wanders into Orgrimmar - I get the feeling he's mincemeat regardless. Can anyone confirm or deny that the opposition capitals are auto-PvP?)

I don't think they are auto-pvp, but the guards will attack you on sight and since every guard (and also every other NPC there) is pvp-enabled, you'll be pvp-enabled too.

The Higgelhoff
29-06-2005, 09:56:34
My mate who started playing the same time as me is now ranked #1 for PvP in Europe. He's a minor celebrity in game and gets rewarded with loads of unique items.

Lucky bastard!

zmama
29-06-2005, 11:01:16
Originally posted by Mightytree
I don't think they are auto-pvp, but the guards will attack you on sight and since every guard (and also every other NPC there) is pvp-enabled, you'll be pvp-enabled too.

Kind of...if you just run without attacking back you wont get flagged for pvp.

MDA
29-06-2005, 13:37:13
You'll just get dead :)

I have more luck backing away than running - I get slowed/stunned when I turn my back

The Higgelhoff
29-06-2005, 13:49:32
I'm thinking of starting a Rogue, or Shaman.

Anyone got any advice. I'm a little bored of the Hunter.

Mightytree
29-06-2005, 17:43:22
Fun with rankings ...

http://www.justcrusade.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=77

MDA
29-06-2005, 19:53:45
Funko is still here in spirit. :)

zmama
29-06-2005, 23:32:53
Well I love my Shaman...love love love love

But you have to be willing to take on whatever role is needed since you can do most of them and always be a back up healer. Lots of responsibilty but it is never boring.

Rogue...fast paced, lots of damage. Fun to steal stuff and stealth around. It's not me because I really like to have some healing capacity...but is much fun to play.

zmama
29-06-2005, 23:42:56
And here are my guild mates in Uldaman

Doing a K_G ;)

Shining1
30-06-2005, 02:27:15
PvP in faction captials: YES, these are PvP zones to the other faction. The moment you wander into Orgrimmar, you become PvP flagged. It's a hostile zone no matter what server you play on.

Rogue and Shaman are both fun and have huge damage, but at the same time you get relegated to 'in the background' duties in group play. If you want a damage based class that groups actively seek out, play a Mage or a Mortal Strike warrior. (The first is just good - sheep plus huge burst damage, and the second can convert to a reasonable tank for most instances just by switching gear.)

MDA
30-06-2005, 11:49:10
What's a good place to collect wool (I'm woolgathering :p ), other than the AH or from under Funko's bed?

zmama
30-06-2005, 11:55:50
Either the harpies in the north west Barrens...or the quillboars around Camp Taurajo. Humanoids of around lvl 17-20

MDA
30-06-2005, 12:12:22
Perfect. I have a quest involving quillboars. :beer:

Qaj and I discussed guilds last night. I want to start a mostly Tauren membership guild called either Justified and Ancient, or Ancients of Moo. I just don't want to run one. :) Just don't let anyone in that doesn't get the reference. Easily filters out the kids.

I /say that song a lot on zeppelin rides.

:lol: at the bullshagging pic

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
30-06-2005, 18:56:25
MDA's a bit of a party animal (with emphasis on the animal) on the zeppelins.

I was butchering the harpies in the Barrens this morning before work, got a total of one wool for about 20 killed - NOT a high drop rate!