PDA

View Full Version : New Tori Amos CD in my hands.

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 11:17:45
YAY!

Going to load it up and listen to it today.

Eklektikos
23-02-2005, 11:52:44
Here's hoping it's better than the last one.

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 12:13:50
Tales of the librarian? That was fine but it was just remakes of old songs and only 2 new songs, so nothing an ep couldn't cover. Scarlett's walk was good, but the cover album before that was blah.

Eklektikos
23-02-2005, 15:02:07
Was actually referring to Scarlett's Walk, which I found pretty uninspiring. Personally I liked Strange Little Girls a lot, I thought she did some really interesting things with the source material.

Tales of the Librarian must have slipped past me somehow.

HelloKitty
23-02-2005, 15:22:13
If you didn't like Scarlett's walk you won't like this one at all. There are 19 tracks and none of them jumped out at me. They aren't bad, but there is definitly not the feel of her older albums where every song has a distinct painful wound with it.

Unless something horrible happens to her again I don't think we will be seeing another Boys for Pele.

lightblue
03-03-2005, 13:36:20
Ooh, I remember reading a rather entertaining review of this in the Independent.. let's see if i can dig it up..

Ah here it si:

By Andy Gill
Published : 18 February 2005

I confess that I failed to make it all the way through this latest offering from Tori Amos, but after suffering through three-quarters of an hour, and realising that there was still more than half an hour to go, I decided that life really was too short, and growing painfully shorter with each ghastly syllable. To begin with, there was merely a sizeable "so what?" factor, but by the third track, "The Power of Orange Knickers" - yes, yes, I know - I found myself echoing Amos's request, "Can somebody tell me a way out of this?". Then, following the mild irritation of the piratical metaphor of "Jamaica Inn" (and her pronunciation of it as "Jam-ikea", as if it were some Swedish conserve), my patience finally snapped somewhere between "Barons of Suburbia" and "Mother Revolution", a passage of unlistenably amorphous "songs" in which each line is so indefinitely phrased, and the melodies so inconsequential, that none of the individual pieces assumed a shape of its own. Someone needs to tell Amos (and it might as well be me) that music plus words doesn't necessarily equal songwriting. I defy anyone to map the tortuous course of a typical Amos song, in which every facet - from self-help verbiage to tinkling pianistics to randomly undulating delivery - seems designed to obfuscate. So, what exactly is the point? Quite the worst record I've heard this year, by a country mile.

BigGameHunter
07-03-2005, 20:26:33
Sounds like she's slipping.

I've seen her in concert twice and was pretty impressed, but that was several years ago.

And no, I'm not a lesbian.

MDA
08-03-2005, 02:49:33
She can do wicked things to a piano. She used to make me wish I was a piano.

BigGameHunter
20-03-2005, 00:51:48
Yes...that almost made me a stalker.