PDA

View Full Version : Excel Question

Gary
17-02-2005, 08:54:23
Hardly urgent, but ...

One of the many thngs that annoys me in Excel is the fact that I can't see the path as well as the filename on the title bar at the top of the window.

It's bad enough Excel can't cope with 2 open files of the same name :rolleyes: but often I want to know which filex.xls I'm looking at. Is it the one if the root directory ? Or in the temp directory ? Or in the "keepatallcosts" directory ?

Is there a setting I've missed that'll force the path to show ?

I sometimes try to find out which directory by starting a "save as" op, but to be honest I never really trust that it's suggesting the directory I've loaded from.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
18-02-2005, 05:17:47
I don't have Excel here at home anymore - I've got OpenOffice instead. My Excel 97 freaks out when installed on XP. So can't you with your problem, sorry.

But aside from that, I made a cool Excel spreadsheet at work. It tracks which employees I've loaned cell phones out to. It lists their inventory tag number, phone number, employee name, assignment date, phone type, comment. The lines are color coded to indicate phones still in stock and ones which ore signed out. The phone type is similarly differentiated.

The neat bit is, if I enter a date in the "returned" column, it copies the line to the second sheet (at the bottom of the existing list), then on the original sheet it changes the colors to show that the phone is now available for sign-out. Better than some Access databases I've written, useful and fast to boot.

:D

Spartak
19-02-2005, 18:18:20
Nice sig Qaj.