PDA

View Full Version : Old British Series worth watching?

BigGameHunter
12-02-2005, 18:05:38
I admit it...I'm a bit of an anglophile. I'm boring, polite and like the rain. I'm in the wrong country.

Anyhow...I've take to checking out videos at the library, and British series are quite available.

I can't think of them all...but most are at least 5 years or older.
Please tell me the good ones and I'll look for them next time.

I also saw a low budget film made @ 20 yrs ago about a "what if" the Nazis had won...looked very interesting. Forget what it was called...made by some young students and mentored by Coppola and others I think to bring it to the screen. It was called "It happened When" or something like that.
Anyone seen it?

Watched a neat show on the battle of Hastings (not in Hastings I learned!) by some guy named Snow and his son. Battlefield Britain I think...very very engaging. The way history should be taught. Stupid Harold got an arrow in his eye and hacked to death by frog knights. How could you let that happen????

Cheers.

Vincent
12-02-2005, 18:39:51
Ah ... Time Tunnel!

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-02-2005, 19:01:21
If it's got it there, you have to see "Edge of darkness". Other good drama series/serials are "The Crow Road", "Spooks" and "Traffik".

For documentary stuff, try "Secrets of the dead", "The Planets" or anything with David Attenborough in it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-02-2005, 19:02:26
For comedy, go for "Spaced", "Black Books", "Brass Eye", "The Day Today" and "The League of Gentlemen".

zmama
12-02-2005, 19:25:55
And for really old

The Avengers :D

sleeping_satsuma
15-02-2005, 00:09:02
yeah you'd love brass eye

Morte
15-02-2005, 21:20:28
It Happened Here is one of the best films ever made...also one of the longest productions as well...took the two guys who made it over 10 years to complete.

Noisy
18-02-2005, 11:47:25
"Black Books" and "Coupling". "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" is probably just a little too parochial for you to appreciate, but maybe not.

fp
18-02-2005, 18:17:05
Yeah, all that stuff.

For comedy Blackadder and Fawlty Towers are essential if you haven't already seen them.

In terms of documentaries any of David Attenborough's natural history documentaries are also a must-see.

American drama (the stuff you export, at least) has been light years ahead of ours in terms of quality for ages now, but we've produced a few very good productions. I can recommend "Shooting the Past" and "The Crow Road" as being especially good.

If you are into Shakespeare, Charles Dickins or Jane Austen then any BBC adaptation of their plays/books is likely to be worth watching. Pride and Prejudice is particular good if that sort of thing is your bag.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-02-2005, 19:59:16
Another one- see "Threads". It's probably the single most bleak and harrowing film ever made.

BigGameHunter
18-02-2005, 22:02:07
OK...I'm going to jot these down and keep an eye out. Though the covers seemed to indicate more in the way of bleached out and frumpy WWII era dramas with strong, silently suffering matriarchs featured prominently.

The Mad Monk
19-02-2005, 11:02:37
Allo Allo, and the first Shelley series.

Shelley at the tax office: "May I speak to the head bandit, please?"

The Mad Monk
19-02-2005, 11:03:23
Open All Hours!

zmama
19-02-2005, 11:22:47
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

fp
19-02-2005, 12:28:07
argh! not Allo Allo! :shoot:

The Mad Monk
21-02-2005, 05:54:55
Originally posted by zmama
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

I remember liking that, but I don't remember anything else about it.

Is that where the guy faked his death or just wandered off or something, and then had a commune in his house, or something like that?

Funkodrom
21-02-2005, 10:47:03
I didn't get where I am today by remembering piddling little details about old tv comedies!

*ahem* yes that's the one.

zmama
21-02-2005, 13:30:37
:lol:

BGH will love it, being the corporate guy he is.

Funkodrom
21-02-2005, 13:55:50
It is a great show. I was too young first time round but they repeated it 7 or 8 years ago. Great stuff.

zmama
21-02-2005, 14:05:45
They showed it here in the late '80's

MOBIUS
21-02-2005, 17:12:20
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
If it's got it there, you have to see "Edge of darkness".

I must concur about Edge of Darkness - in fact a mention on CG inspired me to go down to the library and re-watch it! Still awesome all this time later!:)

But hey, it's also got Joe Don Baker in it, so you'll still have a familiar reference or two in it...

Time to get out Threads from the library next...

BigGameHunter
01-03-2005, 19:53:21
I'm going to start with Black Adder. Haven't seen it before and the first glimpses last night (as I faded in and out of consciousness before rousing myself for the long walk to the CLOSED! kebob shop) were highly amusing. I quite enjoyed Richard getting his head chopped off for trying to "steal" Edmund's horse. Big laughs.

zmama
01-03-2005, 20:19:33
Oh my I thought you'd seen that...PBS stations played Blackadder for years

Bergzwerg
01-03-2005, 23:29:38
Blackadder is strange in that it actually gets better as they go on. The last episode of the last series is one of the best things ever done for TV.

But to really appreciate it watch all the rest first.

Gary
02-03-2005, 17:36:20
The first is very different to the rest. Still good but Blackadder swopped from being a total twat, to a pompous user who always seemed to get the rough end of things. Can't really compare the two personas.

While there seems to be a lot of comedy here, try "Porridge" and "Only Fools & Horses"

Must be many more series worth seeing though.

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-03-2005, 18:02:00
You'll notice that "Blackadder 2" is a lot better than the first series. They got Ben Elton in, and though he irritates me he was on top form there.

sleeping_satsuma
02-03-2005, 21:01:09
I disagree about the last series of Blackadder- although its bound to appeal to BGH with his love of historical uniform- I think the jokes had got very formulaic by the last series. For me, The Prince Regent series is the best because the characters are really in their stride and the comedy is top notch. I love the episode with the dictionary, and the references to things like the French Revolution and popular literature/politics is very clever- the whole series really integrates itself into the history of the time.

Having said this, the last episode of Blackadder 4 will make you cry like a baby, and even though I feel the comedy had got a little predictable, Blackadder at its weakest wipes the floor with any other comedy at its strongest. The episode where George performs in drag is fantastic.

i also think you should watch The Young Ones which is quite dated now but very influential and alternative at the time, all about a group of students in the 80's but very surreal, and Bottom, which is pure toilet humour, and fucking hilarious.

If you want to watch a really good drama series, you might like The Camomile Lawn (a C4 production) which has some great characters and is very addictive. It flicks between the 2WW (more uniform) and modern day, Cornwall and London. Its all about a group of friends and family and what happens to them over the years. Its brilliant, has some top acting talent in it, and not a trace of sentimentality.

And of course, Pride and Prejudice- I defy even the straightest man not to get a raging stiffy at the sight of Colin Firth wading out of a lake fully dressed.....dribble....

Funko
03-03-2005, 09:20:11
I've not seen the series but I've seen that (endlessly repeated) clip.

I'm really quite gay but I honestly have no idea what anyone sees in Colin Firth.

zmama
03-03-2005, 13:32:35
I think he's dorky...and not in a good way

King_Ghidra
03-03-2005, 13:43:15
Camomile Lawn was good, and lots of fucking in it too

Colin Firth always seems a stuck up prick to me, but i suppose i can see his good looks at least

Funko
03-03-2005, 14:02:48
Yeah, that posh blonde actress who always takes her clothes off was in it.

Drekkus
03-03-2005, 14:33:33
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
I'm going to start with Black Adder. Haven't seen it before and the first glimpses last night (as I faded in and out of consciousness before rousing myself for the long walk to the CLOSED! kebob shop) were highly amusing. I quite enjoyed Richard getting his head chopped off for trying to "steal" Edmund's horse. Big laughs. Maybe you should start with something else first. For me Blackadder is the best english series ever. After that you might be disappointed with the rest. :D No series has more wit than Blackadder. The first series is nowhere near as funny as the others though, and as the series progress you'll find the texts becoming more and more absurd.

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-03-2005, 17:11:00
Spaced is funnier than Blackadder.

DaShi
04-03-2005, 06:48:34
I just found Spaced today. I'll try to work it in between the Sopranos which I'm hooked on.

fp
06-03-2005, 01:04:30
<-- makes a note to borrow a Spaced DVD from somebody sometime....

shagnasty
09-03-2005, 16:39:35
Definately get your paws on Blackadder, The Young Ones and Bottom. If you like Bottom, you can actually buy the entire set of 3 series from BBC America on DVD. You can't here which I'm a bit miffed about:confused:
Don't forget Rising Damp and anything at all with/by Ronnie Barker.

For historical gubbins, you can'y beat The History of Britain by Simon Schama. It goes from about 5000 b.c. to around 1700 a.d.

sleeping_satsuma
10-03-2005, 21:30:19
I love that simon schama thing, my only criticism is that its very much a Victorian history male-dominated royalcentric colonialism- and- feminism- never- happened type of history- you know, lots of kings and wars, not much about us ordinary plebs.

sleeping_satsuma
10-03-2005, 21:35:59
has anyone mentioned Tony Hancock yet? Or Steptoe and Son? Or the Carry On films?

Hancock was a genius, and the supporting casts were fantastic. He filmed his shows (which were written and scripted by him) live. fantastic stuff.

Steptoe & Son is about an embittered old rag and bone man who is always trying to prevent his son from getting married and leavinghim. Totally grotesque but very endearing.

The Carry On films are a British institution- very much seaside postcard humour, lots of bum and boob jokes. Very non-PC but hilarious.

sleeping_satsuma
10-03-2005, 21:37:22
Originally posted by Funko
Yeah, that posh blonde actress who always takes her clothes off was in it.

Jennifer Ehle (who is also Lizzie in Pride and Prejudice) I love her.....sigh....

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
11-03-2005, 23:02:11
Don't forget "Are You Being Served?"

Oddest thing I ever heard (well, not really) was a Regurgitator remix of the Are You Being Served? theme music... :clueless: :confused:

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-03-2005, 16:07:55
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Don't forget "Are You Being Served?"

How could we? It's an ugly weeping sore on our national conscience. The 19th century exploitation of India was as nothing compared to a decade of jokes about those funny homosexuals and Mrs Slocombe's pussy.

sleeping_satsuma
13-03-2005, 17:02:16
its hard to believe Wendy Richards was a sex symbol in those days!

Beta1
14-03-2005, 13:42:19
Spaced is funnier than Blackadder.

not sure i would go that far but its bloody good. If you saw "shaun of the dead" you know what to expect.

The best recent stuff is "Spaced", "Black Books" and "Coupling" (the first three series, not the last one).

Anything will Bill Bailey is going to be good (and odd)

And coupling has Kate Isitt and sarah alexander in it so it gets my vote :love:

The Shaker
14-03-2005, 18:54:18
black books is particularly relevant as the lead character is one of funkos housemates.

Debaser
14-03-2005, 20:18:11
Eh?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-03-2005, 21:14:44
How could we? It's an ugly weeping sore on our national conscience. The 19th century exploitation of India was as nothing compared to a decade of jokes about those funny homosexuals and Mrs Slocombe's pussy.

Well, what about the spin-off they did in the 90's?

:lol: :lol:

sleeping_satsuma
14-03-2005, 22:19:13
Originally posted by The Shaker
black books is particularly relevant as the lead character is one of funkos housemates.

gareth

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-03-2005, 23:04:52
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm

Well, what about the spin-off they did in the 90's?

:lol: :lol:

It was marginally less offensive, due to changing social mores. Rather than an ugly weeping sore on our national conscience, it was a nasty itching rash.

Funko
15-03-2005, 09:10:45
That Black Books comment is totally over my head, but I've never seen it.

King_Ghidra
15-03-2005, 09:17:50
i think you might agree with it if you had. The lead character is an irascible shaggy-black-haired misanthrope with strange sleep patterns.

Funko
15-03-2005, 09:59:58
Probably. :)

Just remembered I saw a clip of it on Lenny Henry's comedy heroes yesterday. Apparently this girl lied and told him she was dead to get out of going out with him.

The Bursar
15-03-2005, 10:03:03
"I don't believe you"
"No Bernard, look, here's a copy of her birth certificate that I carry around with me"
"nnnNo"
"And here's a photograph of her with today's newspaper wearing her 'I love Life' T-shirt."

Funko
15-03-2005, 10:44:15
They didn't get that far.