PDA

View Full Version : Q. What is Web Accelerator?

TV4Fun
12-02-2005, 02:59:11
Originally posted in Netscape's FAQ
A. Web Accelerator is an exciting new technology offered with Netscape Internet Service, at an additional cost, that can speed up your Netscape web-surfing experience by as much as 5x faster* using your existing phone jack and modem. Web Accelerator efficiently stores and reuses elements (such as static text and pictures) of web pages that you visit so that pages download much quicker on repeated visits.

NEW! Web Accelerator also includes a Pop-Up Blocker that can help you reduce those annoying pop-ups!

Note *Veritest® study, November 2003. Web Accelerator's technology improves web page download time but does not increase data transmission speeds. Note the "efficiently reusing elements of webpages so that pahes download much quicker on repeated visits"
That's right. they are charging an additional cost for the use of a web browser cache. It would not surprise me in the least if the lates version of the Netscape web browser didn't include caching.

Sir Penguin
12-02-2005, 05:01:08
:lol:

SP

Deacon
12-02-2005, 07:13:22
I haven't tried any of those dial-ups that advertise "acceleration", but I assume that they use some kind of caching proxy. The effectiveness of the cache depends on how large it is and how predictable the users's habits are.

Gary
12-02-2005, 08:53:43
I'm unsure if this is the same thing (reading your description, it sounds different) but there is a service you can buy that claims to do the same.

As far as I can tell you always search the Net via them (or it may be just downloading, I didn't check the details as soon as I discovered they were going to be able to nose at everywhere I went).

They have a fast link to any site (can't recall the actual speeds) and they fetch the data, compress it and then send it to you so you receive it a lot faster than if you fetched it yourself. You are running their decompress code on your PC and experience massive speed ups, allegedly.

Sir Penguin
12-02-2005, 12:08:51
I'd hate to think what that would do to their servers.

SP

Gary
12-02-2005, 15:07:10
I think these were the guys (http://www.onspeed.com/en/help/v3.65/pc/db_trouble.php?id=0#two)

Maybe you could ask ;)

Deacon
13-02-2005, 06:58:12
Compression is different, though I suppose it's possible for a proxy server to use both compression and caching. :)

Compression reduces transmission sizes, but again, transmission speed remains the same. Decent compression tends to shrink text dramatically, while binaries see a more modest reduction. I'm not sure I'd pay $44 on top of a $20 dialup account. $64 is into broadband territory.

Darkstar
16-02-2005, 16:22:28
$40 is broadband territory. $30 is broadband bundled. $20 is half pipe cable broadband (capped at lower rate of a mere 1.5 to 2 Mb/s, but it wouldn't matter for normal web browsing).