Japher
11-02-2005, 20:54:02
flowers... blase, but she can't have chocolate or wine

KrazyHorse@home
11-02-2005, 20:59:10
Originally posted by zmama
Chef Boyardee raviolis? ;)

How about flowers...never hurts to give flowers

She hates flowers. So yes, it would hurt.

KrazyHorse@home
11-02-2005, 21:01:14
This is an idiotic holiday anyway.

Plus I've noticed since I've moved to the US that the commercialness of it is even worse here than back home. And it's not like Christmas or something which has a real feel associated with it. It's just an excuse to sell chocolates and flowers.

Blech.

I'll take her out for a nice dinner or something one of the days she's here.

zmama
11-02-2005, 21:01:24
How do you know how Japher's wife feels about flowers?? ;)

Snotty
11-02-2005, 21:16:08
I even got promised the March the 14th BJ day if I pulled off a decent valentines this year. Still cant be bothered tho. Maybe some cotton balls, the look onher face would crack me up

Venom
11-02-2005, 21:21:43
Where's Booger?

Snotty
11-02-2005, 21:27:56
Dunno, does he lurk here too?

Venom
11-02-2005, 21:31:39
Don't know. He might be too busy burping, picking his nose and trying to revive Lambda Lambda Lambda.

Sefirot
11-02-2005, 21:51:13
Watch out for those sneaky girls. They'll play sly and claim they don't want you to buy them anything and if you foolishly believe them they will start screaming and yelling that you didn't buy them a gift. What ever she tells you assume it is a lie and buy her some thing else.

Sefirot
11-02-2005, 21:52:57
Originally posted by Venom
Don't know. He might be too busy burping, picking his nose and trying to revive Lambda Lambda Lambda.

Who wouldn't want to relieve Lambda Lambda Lambda.

KrazyHorse@home
11-02-2005, 22:24:12
Originally posted by Snotty
I even got promised the March the 14th BJ day if I pulled off a decent valentines this year. Still cant be bothered tho. Maybe some cotton balls, the look onher face would crack me up

You have to bribe your girl to get her to go down?

Darkstar
11-02-2005, 22:41:05
Get her a cute teddy bear (or other of her favorite stuffed animal) and a card. Toss in a hand made ticket for one shopping trip to one of her favorite shops, and you are set.

The point is to show that you think about her and you occasionally pay attention. Do that, and you will always succeed.

If you don't want to go shopping with her, then you can trade out for making her a nice dinner (if you don't occasionally cook for her), or you should go about making a real date. If you have to skip the 14th, make sure that hand made ticket gives the time and place of a date ASAP, and live up to it. An evening that features a nice cozy dinner and some dancing, and you are probably set for doing the romance thing for a while.

MOBIUS
12-02-2005, 01:18:57
I never do anything for Valentine's - never did me any harm...:)

I don't buy flowers either - waste of money as you buy something beautiful just to watch it whither and die.

Oerdin
12-02-2005, 01:40:08
Says the lazy unromantic guy. Ladies like that shit and I've found I get laid more when I bring her a cerimonial offering.

MOBIUS
12-02-2005, 01:56:13
Originally posted by Oerdin
Says the lazy unromantic guy. Ladies like that shit and I've found I get laid more when I bring her a cerimonial offering.

Hey, I didn't say I was lazy or unromantic...:p

I don't need to bribe my lady to 'get laid more'...:D

Koshko
12-02-2005, 07:29:52
Well you probably won't be getting anything in return if you know what I mean.

self biased
12-02-2005, 07:32:11
steak and blowjob day is next month, at any rate.

Martini
12-02-2005, 11:17:36
Valentines Day shouldn't be something you need to bother with if you're already in a serious relationship - the whole point of it is for pathetically shy losers to let people way out of their league know they want to sleep with them.

I don't think I could ever genuinely like a guy who did the whole hearts and flowers thing on Valentines Day....I could never respect someone who stooped to those depths.

Provost Harrison
12-02-2005, 12:55:01
I'll buy myself a new tube of lube :D

Oerdin
12-02-2005, 15:40:51
Martini, believe it or not some girls really like it when I guy pulls out all the stops for them.

Martini
12-02-2005, 16:06:08
Those girls are fools! Or just very materialistic.....I don't know.

I just prefer to actually like the person rather than their empty gestures. Perhaps I'll get more romantic as I get older, but currently I am unable to see the attraction in being 'treated' or 'pampered'. Someone who'll share some beers and a pizza with me and actually be able to chat to me like a normal person is far more attractive than a smarmy git who tries to buy my affections.

Don't get me wrong, I can be bought, just not with crap like that.

Provost Harrison
12-02-2005, 16:10:25
I think I would speak for most here where I would actually do something rather than perform hollow gestures. A nice meal somewhere, perhaps coupled with a trip out somewhere...

Martini
12-02-2005, 16:34:53
Nice meals out are also a bad idea....anything requiring me to make an effort too is a bad idea. If I am taken somewhere decent, I have to make sure I look good, wherever we go its still clear it's being done to impress me. And whilst I would be impressed with the time and effort the bloke had gone to, I would resent the fact he was trying to impress me.

It makes me feel I have to impress them too; and I can't do that I need to be able to relax and be accepted however early in the morning it is, however drunk I am, and however many times Ive thrown up in front of them. Them acting super-human just freaks me out.

MOBIUS
12-02-2005, 17:45:41
Martini, believe it or not some girls really like it when I guy pulls out all the stops for them.

Some girls take the bribe and open their legs:cute:

I had a friend who would take dates to the Pont de la Tour on Butler's Wharf and blow a good 100 on them - he used to claim he had a 100% date:sack ratio whenever he took someone there... Same diff.

I agree with Martini, if you can't treat your significant other well throughout the year you don't deserve to be with them and I'm fucked if I'm gonna be 'guilt tripped' into the whole Valentine's commercial merry-go-round!

As for flowers, I really don't understand this whole "Hey look, I've just had this beautiful plant killed especially for you so you can see it decay in front of you deal":rolleyes:

Oerdin
12-02-2005, 17:53:52
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I think I would speak for most here where I would actually do something rather than perform hollow gestures. A nice meal somewhere, perhaps coupled with a trip out somewhere...

That's what I'd go for too. An occational gesture of affection doesn't hurt especially after you've been in a relationship for a while. I found with my last girlfriend (who I dated for 1.5 years) the first month was very passionate and things started to cool off a bit after that. Romantic gestures can help heat things up again because it reminds everyone you really are in love.

Immoral Wombat
12-02-2005, 18:42:23
Originally posted by MOBIUS
who would take dates to the Pont de la Tour on Butler's Wharf and blow a good 100 on them - he used to claim he had a 100% date:sack ratio whenever he took someone there... Same diff.

Hey, the Pont de la Tour is MY hunting ground - tell your friend to fuck off!:mad:

Nothing like a single Grand Prix Red Rose to get a lady hot to trot if you know what I mean - especially if you have some Belgian Dark Chocolate and a bottle of red wine to loosen those inhibitions.

Rohipnol is for beginners, baby!

Vincent
12-02-2005, 18:43:16
valenteenz day iz gay

Immoral Wombat
12-02-2005, 18:45:39
I beg to disagree.

Valentine's Day is when many women's defences are at their lowest - the perfect time for a chiselled stud like me to strike!

notyoueither
13-02-2005, 01:35:54
Originally posted by Martini
Nice meals out are also a bad idea....anything requiring me to make an effort too is a bad idea. If I am taken somewhere decent, I have to make sure I look good, wherever we go its still clear it's being done to impress me. And whilst I would be impressed with the time and effort the bloke had gone to, I would resent the fact he was trying to impress me.

What if he just happens to like nice places and enjoys your company? Is it that you don't feel anyone other than the local fish and chips shop sort would be interested in you?

Provost Harrison
13-02-2005, 12:37:31
Thankyou nye...I'm not necessarily talking anywhere especially fancy...perhaps just a Chinese buffet or something...dress in a sack, after all you aren't there to be attracting the interests of other men :p

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-02-2005, 12:50:26
6 nice roses. An Indian takeaway. A bottle of one of my special wines. Perfick.

protein
13-02-2005, 12:52:43

I just prefer to actually like the person rather than their empty gestures. Perhaps I'll get more romantic as I get older, but currently I am unable to see the attraction in being 'treated' or 'pampered'. Someone who'll share some beers and a pizza with me and actually be able to chat to me like a normal person is far more attractive than a smarmy git who tries to buy my affections.

Don't get me wrong, I can be bought, just not with crap like that.
:love:

Provost Harrison
13-02-2005, 12:54:10
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
A bottle of one of my special wines

I'm not even going to ask what your 'special wine' is. But it seems that incidentally I have anyway. So go ahead ;)

Martini
13-02-2005, 13:26:56
Originally posted by notyoueither
What if he just happens to like nice places and enjoys your company? Is it that you don't feel anyone other than the local fish and chips shop sort would be interested in you?

Sadly I generally seem to attract the smarmy git sort rather than the local fish and chip shop sort - but I far prefer the latter.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-02-2005, 13:33:33
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I'm not even going to ask what your 'special wine' is. But it seems that incidentally I have anyway. So go ahead ;)

Virtuoso Primitivo 2000.

Oerdin
13-02-2005, 14:09:44

The fact that the guy spent $5 on a red rose isn't what's getting her knickers steamy. The fact that her guy is thinking about her, wants to do something to show he appreciates her, and that he's looking forward to seeing her is what does it. As always it is the thought that counts much more then the gift itself.

Asher
14-02-2005, 06:49:13
Real, successful relationships don't need this shit.

It's for the average married guy who has to remind her that he loves her maybe three times a year (birthday, valentine's, anniversary).

It's sad.

King_Ghidra
14-02-2005, 09:25:13
i don't need any excuse to tell my gf i love her, but on valentine's day it's an excuse to go out and have a nice meal and a night out in addition to our usual carousing, so why turn your nose up at it?
The restaurant is doing a valentine's menu with some interesting stuff in it, so it will be a change and something different.

If my gf was the kind of person who demanded flowers or something i would wonder what she was on, but people who get on their high horse and moan about valentine's day are worse. In 'real, successful relationships' people might not always tell their partner they love them every day, so what's wrong wth making a bit of extra effort for one day?

No one is under obligation to buy into the corporate crap to celebrate it, you can do whatever you want, whether it be grand gestures and presents or some quiet time together and some honest declarations.

Unless you're some warped individual who never celebrates anything, then the principle of celebration shouldn't be so terrifying. Here's another excuse to have a good time, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Funkodrom
14-02-2005, 09:26:50
Balls. I hate it when I agree with Asher. (which is basically agreeing Martini, with less vomiting)

I really hated the concept of valentines day when I was single, it'd be a bit hypocritical to suddenly like it now I'm not. Luckily this is acceptable. :)

Oh and I failed to get the cotton balls. :o I apologise to the world of science.

King_Ghidra
14-02-2005, 09:56:52
you could call it hypocritical or you could call it coming to your senses

there's no shame in admitting your outlook on life has changed, that's called maturity

Tizzy
14-02-2005, 09:59:13
Originally posted by Sefirot
Watch out for those sneaky girls. They'll play sly and claim they don't want you to buy them anything and if you foolishly believe them they will start screaming and yelling that you didn't buy them a gift. What ever she tells you assume it is a lie and buy her some thing else.

Bollocks. Some of us actually say what we mean and mean what we say.

I should go find the old threads, we've had this same discussion every Valentine's Day on CG :D

King_Ghidra
14-02-2005, 10:07:15
i just don't understand why people feel the need to rail against public celebrations as though they are some pernicious scheme

only a moron would oppose the spirit of the day, given that it celebrates something which is such an important part of most everyone's life. If people object to specific coroporatized elements of it, that's cool, but just ignore that and celebrate it in your own way.

the oppostion is so ridiculous it is as though if i want to do something nice for my gf i now have to face the implied accusation that i am doing it just because it is valentine's day and would not otherwise consider it

miester gandertak
14-02-2005, 10:10:02
doooooo
di
doooooo

Gary
14-02-2005, 10:12:59
Damn !

I got her a card, she got me a card AND a pair of shoes ! (Not pink ones with hearts either, I may add.)

What is it with Valentines that there's no clear cut rule as to whether prezzies are involved ? I think there may not be any next year ;)

Funkodrom
14-02-2005, 10:19:47
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
you could call it hypocritical or you could call it coming to your senses

there's no shame in admitting your outlook on life has changed, that's called maturity

Not really. The reasons I don't like it haven't changed and are still fair enough I think.

Aside from the fact you shouldn't need a special day to show your feelings, the commercial pressure (like Christmas) makes it seem a bit tacky and tasteless.

I think your take on it is perfectly sensible. And I'm totally not saying people shouldn't celebrate, of course, go ahead and do whatever you want. Have a great day. :beer: I don't see any reason people should be forced to celebrate valentines day if they don't want to. There seems to be this pervasive air that if you don't do something for valentines day you're a bad boyfriend/girlfriend or are in a shit relationship.

And the giving gifts purely to get sex concept which some people have mentioned in a way that seems to be not entirely a joke I find distasteful in the extreme.

Although this doesn't apply to Christmas which is great and everyone should be made to celebrate it. ;) - not really!

miester gandertak
14-02-2005, 10:29:24
what about the cotton balls?

Funkodrom
14-02-2005, 10:30:44
Didn't get them in the end. :(

miester gandertak
14-02-2005, 10:40:49
8 bottles left and nooooo cotton balls.
you don't need no help at this one

Funkodrom
14-02-2005, 10:58:45
Nope. No help needed. Thanks. :p

zmama
14-02-2005, 12:35:43
Balls. I hate it when I agree with K_G.

Funkodrom
14-02-2005, 12:50:01
My only disagreement with what he said is that he seems to think that people should do something to celebrate even if the day doesn't mean anything to them.

Celebrate, don't celebrate, whatever just do your own thing and let anyone else do or not do whatever they want. :beer:

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-02-2005, 13:01:26
Well, I gave her Roses. We don't have a particular anniversary or such, so why not today.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-02-2005, 13:01:51
And a garden gnome. Roses and a fresh shot garden gnome.

zmama
14-02-2005, 13:25:07
Awwww how sweet :)

I saw one yesterday and thought of you Dyl.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-02-2005, 13:37:05
How nice. :)

Funkodrom
14-02-2005, 13:37:08
Valentines day on a budget:

http://www.muf.me.uk/files/howtoimpress.jpg

MDA
14-02-2005, 13:40:25
We're doing... nothing for Valentine's Day.

We may change our minds and go for Mexican at our favorite cheap, comfortable place this weekend. Yum.

King_Ghidra
14-02-2005, 14:01:26
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Valentines day on a budget:

very funny :D

Debaser
14-02-2005, 14:06:12
They're real. They cost 15p.

zmama
14-02-2005, 14:11:23
I like it!!!

miester gandertak
14-02-2005, 14:13:41
I don't get it

Scabrous Birdseed
14-02-2005, 14:47:30
Let's face it, valentine's day is a ridiculous, insinuous evil conspiracy by card manufacturers and flower sellers to force out more of their putrid products.

That said, for today I got my GF:

Two cards
Jewelery
Chocolate
Flower
Heart-shaped Candle
Fancy Tea
Squeezy duck with little hearts on it
A flowery tea-box
A heart-shaped box

:o

King_Ghidra
14-02-2005, 15:01:00
:lol:

best SB post ever

BigGameHunter
14-02-2005, 16:40:00
Methinks SB is turning into a buttery norm due to his newfound hormonal surges.

I agree with KG completely. I hope most of you realize (as my esteemed friend does) that conformity is the new cool.

Get on board or be left behind in a dismal wreck of flannel, Doc Marten's and cutesy popular logo alteration t-shirts. The choice is yours.

paiktis22
14-02-2005, 16:50:44
every valentines day there's an antivalentine day at some club but it seems very scary to go. i mean if you get carried away and kiss your girlfriend what would happen to you? or if you even have/bring a girlfriend. scary.
also the church is a bit angry as usual at all this valentine stuff and says its western tradition so it has conjured some saint patakios or something that's supposendly our saint - protector of lovers but he looks like he hasnt eaten for 6 years at the icons, he seems to be in a very fragile state and definitely with not any aspect that could be somehow linked with luurv

KrazyHorse@home
14-02-2005, 17:32:23
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Let's face it, valentine's day is a ridiculous, insinuous evil conspiracy by card manufacturers and flower sellers to force out more of their putrid products.

That said, for today I got my GF:

Two cards
Jewelery
Chocolate
Flower
Heart-shaped Candle
Fancy Tea
Squeezy duck with little hearts on it
A flowery tea-box
A heart-shaped box

:o

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-02-2005, 17:36:32
I love Valentine's Day. It outs all the grumpy people.

KrazyHorse@home
14-02-2005, 17:38:39
Fuck you too, you miserable git.

Plus it's raining. The worst type of rain. Drizzling, cold rain.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO RAIN DO IT PROPERLY

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-02-2005, 17:39:01
Oh my God, Scabby. You're midway through transforming into a huge cartoon puppy with huge, soulful eyes. Holding a balloon bearing the caption "Pwease cuddle me!".

Oerdin
14-02-2005, 17:48:42
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
Well, I gave her Roses. We don't have a particular anniversary or such, so why not today.

You are raising the bar on me. I'm afraid now I will have to go buy my lady friend some roses to have delivered at here work. This is especially true since we've only been dating for three weeks.

I did have a romantic dinner and a play planned though and that should go over well since it's in the old Victorian city park/museum district. Supposedly the city is keeping the rose gardens and the botanical gardens open late so lovers can stroll amoung the flowers and greenery. Since the play house and the restaurant are both right there it might be nice to take a walk after the play.

Japher
14-02-2005, 17:53:38
I'm getting wifey and electric heat pad

Asher
14-02-2005, 17:56:50
Originally posted by Japher
I'm getting wifey and electric heat pad
Why not get her a new vacuum cleaner?

Japher
14-02-2005, 17:58:08
She got that for christmas;)

Oerdin
14-02-2005, 17:59:45
Originally posted by paiktis22
[B
also the church is a bit angry as usual at all this valentine stuff and says its western tradition so it has conjured some saint patakios or something that's supposendly our saint - [/B]

The original St. Valentine was a priest from North Africa who lived in Rome during the 3rd century AD. He performed weddings for couples whose parents hadn't approved of the weddings on the grounds that love could not be denied. The middle of Febuary was original a time to feast in honor of the Roman goddess of love Venus (Greek: Aphrodite) and so his "Saint's Day" was moved to that day in order to co-opt the pagan holiday.

I am really confused by the Greek Orthodoxed Church on this issue because if the man was turned into a Saint in the fourth century then he died six hundred years before the great schism between the Catholic and Orthodoxed Churches. That would mean he should be a common saint between both branches.

Oerdin
14-02-2005, 18:05:39
Originally posted by Japher
She got that for christmas;)

:lol: The gay guy really does know more about romancing the ladies then you! :lol:

Japher
14-02-2005, 18:08:04
Yeah, but I have sex with the ladies... and that obviously counts for something.

Oerdin
14-02-2005, 18:09:10
True, so very true...

Still I can admire the usefulness of your Christmas gift. Nothing says "clean my house, woman" like buying her a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas. ;)

lightblue
14-02-2005, 18:16:00
I find spending the money you'd spent on shitty overpriced roses and cards on good food and cooking it for her gets you a lot further. That's all she's getting though ;)

Japher
14-02-2005, 18:16:39
Confession: she actually got the vacuum for me, and it was last christmas... and, it was actually one of those mop/vacuum things that they advertise with the kangaroo and the Aussie fellow. I do all the floors, but now when I do, I fake an Australian accent. It really pisses her off.

I got her a photmate thingy since she has always had a hard time printing pictures, candles, some smell stuff, and some charms for her bracelet.

The mat is actually something she wants since she is pregers and gets a pinched nerve, and can't take meds for it.

KrazyHorse@home
14-02-2005, 18:19:39
I do all the floors, but now when I do, I fake an Australian accent. It really pisses her off.

I think you and I would get along well together.

paiktis22
14-02-2005, 18:22:36
The original St. Valentine was priest from North Africa who lived in Roman during the 3rd century AD. He performed weddings for couples whose parents hadn't approved of the weddings on the grounds that love could not be denied. The middle of Febuary was original a time to feast in honor of the Roman goddess of love Venus (Greek: Aphrodite) and so his "Saint's day" was moved to that day in order to co-opt the pagan holiday.

I am really confused by the Greek Orthodoxed Church on this issue because if the man was turned into a Saint in the fourth century then he died six hundred years before the great schism between the Catholic and Orthodoxed Churches. That would mean he should be a common saint between both branches.

I have absolutely no idea about St. Valentine or the other saint "our saint" who's name I don't even remember. As far as the church is conserned it seems clear they consider him "western" that is to say catholic (I think they consider protestants to be non -existant). I trust they have their own interpratation as to why. They're tediously meticulous about that stuff.

Japher
14-02-2005, 18:26:46
I think you and I would get along well together

I'm trying to figure out how to make the scabbard the guy on the commercial hads so that I can sheath it into my back!

I've tried to get a kangaroo, gave up after one phone call. Apparently there is some law or something about owning such animals within city limits. PWAH!

Oerdin
14-02-2005, 18:33:59
Yeah, the city health department wouldn't even let my friend and I keep some abandoned baby racoons we found in his backyard. The fuckers.

zmama
14-02-2005, 23:02:26
No cotton balls

The cat did cough me up a nice juicy hairball, however

Japher
15-02-2005, 04:20:56
She liked the heat pad. I cooked her diner too, beef stuffed pablano peppers, one of her favs... with a tomato sauce.

She did the dishes... Though I did most before she got home.

I don't think I am getting lucky. Yet then, she's preger with my baby with a sore back and mood swings... you never know!

Asher
15-02-2005, 04:25:44
You made her do the dishes while she's pregnant on valentine's day?

Spartak
15-02-2005, 06:37:30
Buy a dishwasher for gods sake.

KrazyHorse@home
15-02-2005, 07:03:23
For God's sake, why do you think he got married?

Japher
15-02-2005, 07:20:45

geeesh

Oerdin
15-02-2005, 08:13:06
Yep, sounds like he has one. ;)

Darkstar
16-02-2005, 18:08:00
Depends. Some women demand you observe Valentines day.

3 days a year? What universe is that in? You have Valentine's day, Wedding Anniversary, Her Birthday, and Christmas, at a minimal. If you are dating, there's all those "First Kiss", "First Date", "First Snuggle" and their anniversaries, plus observing all those other special days, like she decided she was going to slam you into a bed one day, she decided not to kill you, etc etc etc.

Just depends on the lady. But most will not put up with you forgetting the big 4 for long. Young ones often get mad about all the other ones. That's why I just do pre-emptive strikes... Then when I forget little things like Valentine's day or cannot find her a proper Christmas gift, she usually doesn't care. Because I did the whole "Thinking of you very much" already.

Best thing ever. Any day can be a "Happy Unbirthday!". Well, not her birthday. But the rest are fair game. And make for a happy surprise for your partner.