PDA

View Full Version : Ion Storm Austin shuts down.

MDA
11-02-2005, 13:34:42
Ion Storm (Austin) was the developer of Thief 3 and the Deus Ex games. You may recall that both Warren Spector and Harvey Smith (minor game deities) both recently left for presumably greener pastures.

Read the details in theGamespot article. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/10/news_6118364.html)

Deacon
11-02-2005, 23:12:19
I guess Eidos is going to release yet another Tomb Raider.

the_fibber
14-02-2005, 06:48:21
Stupid Eidos. Pretty much the worst publisher on the market as far as I can make out.

*mutters darkly* remember anachranox *mutters darkly*

Beta1
14-02-2005, 08:30:24
what worse than EA or the devil-bastards at seirra (or whatever they call themselves now?)

the_fibber
14-02-2005, 09:15:08
EA's buy outs are certainly not promising and Vivendi Universal (since sierra was bought out, turned over and finally shut down) aren't much better, but Sierra used to be a great publisher back in its heydey.

But Eidos is the only company I have seen to sink quite so low when they butcher games, add extra staff that just don't care to rush products to completion, don't provide adequate marketing (which hey, was what they were there TO DO...) axe productions halfway through and not really give a damn about funding patches, all the while attemtping to save extra money by neglecting key areas such as, oh, script writers who can actually write.

MDA
14-02-2005, 13:31:38
Its been a long time since Sierra was good. I'd almost forgotten.

Eidos is in the midst of a major cardiac event. I don't think they'll be around for long. I just hope what talented people they have left actually land somewhere decent.

the_fibber
15-02-2005, 00:11:15
Well here's hoping they aren't.

Most of the talented people have jumped ship already and I'm sure most of the other ones won't be far behind. Fingers crossed no promising careers get slashed by this.

Darkstar
16-02-2005, 16:40:28
Hey now. EA used to mean "The Best Damned Games Ever" at one time. Now, it means "Whatever". And that was after Sierra stopped meaning "Another damn fine game".

Games studios come and go. It's when they they move into "publishers" and "distributors" that they turn into shit. Usually.