View Full Version : a way at dork

09-02-2005, 12:27:53
I just forgot what's the name in English of this kind of (lame) joke, where you swap initials of two words...
IIRC it's named after a guy who excelled/indulged in it a lot (a famous TV showman, or something....?)

09-02-2005, 12:37:13
I think you mean a Spoonerism, assuming this isn't a 100-0 attempt.

09-02-2005, 12:38:17
yeah and i believe it comes from a mrs spooner character in an english novel the name of which completely escapes me

09-02-2005, 12:38:32
Oh, and it's not an intended joke, it's a mental problem.

We all laugh and the metal folk.

(Comes from William Archibald Spooner who was famous for making these verbal slips)

09-02-2005, 12:41:02
I think they are named after William Archibald Spooner (1844-1930), British cleric and scholar.

And dictionary.com helped confirm that. ;)

09-02-2005, 12:44:10
thanx, it really had slipped off my mind :)

09-02-2005, 12:49:37
ah i was thinking of malapropism, named after Mrs Malaprop from Sheridan's play The Rivals

that's where you do a george bush and confuse a similar sounding word with the one you actually meant

e.g. 'my fellow armenians, i bring today the sad news of the death of yasser crackerjack, leader of the polystyrene people'

Provost Harrison
09-02-2005, 13:11:40
Wasn't he a vicar or priest or something. His sermons became legendary, and hence the word Spoonerism made it's way into the English language IIRC.

09-02-2005, 13:23:00
Provost - what do you understand by the term "British Cleric"

Provost Harrison
09-02-2005, 13:25:33
Doy you think I read a thread before I post? If I did there would be no such thing as a PHd :D

09-02-2005, 13:37:31
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Doy you think I read a thread before I post?
how can you owngoal a question
If I did there would be no such thing as a PHd :D [/B]if it gets PHd before you can answer?