PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Enterprise cancelled

Darkstar
03-02-2005, 21:29:23
Well, that's it for the VSW. It's last episode will be May 4th.

The producers said: We are going to tie up things in a way that will make our fans feel really great!

The producers also said: ST is like a cock roach. No matter how many times they cancel us, we will be back. We are already in casting for the next series.

MDA
03-02-2005, 23:00:13
Counterpoint forum!

Venom
04-02-2005, 13:08:23
Got good too late. Berman and Braga and the Dual Deliverers of crap shows.

BigGameHunter
05-02-2005, 00:31:36
I had just noticed it has been running for a few weeks this year and I hadn't seen an episode yet.
Damn...what a black eye to the ST franchise. Too bad they frittered away some talented actors with such unremarkable writing.

Sir Penguin
05-02-2005, 10:28:21
I just saw the latest episode, and it was completely awesome.

SP

Darkstar
07-02-2005, 21:03:17
Well, it had 4 years, which is longer then the original. So it's probably a successful run. Seems to be liked overall, other then the opening theme actually having sung lyrics. ;)

Sir Penguin
07-02-2005, 21:32:33
And the first 3 seasons.

SP

Darkstar
07-02-2005, 21:55:28
The first 3 seasons weren't liked? They started bouncing ST:E around for its show time early on in my region, so I didn't watch it consistantly.

So what was wrong with the first 3 seasons?

Chris
07-02-2005, 21:59:50
This last year under Manny Cotto was excellent, real Trek.

The previous years were B&B doing 'Voyager' in the past, NOT Star Trek.

It was corrected to late to save it, and UPN made sure it was dead by sticking it on fridays, the same death stab they gave TOS in the 60s.

Darkstar
07-02-2005, 22:06:48
Friday is the power night for SciFi. So why should fridays be bad for UPN? I thought the death stab was that it was on UPN?

Sir Penguin
07-02-2005, 22:07:54
There were a few episodes in the first 3 seasons that were quite good. The rest were universally maligned, at least on the review site I visit (www.bureau42.com). I remember one running joke in the first season was picking out the cave. Nearly every episode had the characters running through a cave, or some similar dark, enclosed space.

SP

Sir Penguin
07-02-2005, 22:08:28
The death stab was that nobody watched it.

SP

Darkstar
07-02-2005, 22:14:57
Yeah. UPN. Ur Private Network. If you watch UPN, you are about the only one. ;)

Eh. All the new Trek series get panned in the reviews. Takes a while for the fan base to adjust, for the series to get in good writing with good stories and characterization, etc etc etc.

Sir Penguin
08-02-2005, 00:34:22
Unless the Wonder Twins are involved, in which case it takes somebody else to headline the show.

SP

Chris
08-02-2005, 03:21:02
The cave thing was correct, B&B had a hardon for caves and dark sets.

Venom
08-02-2005, 12:59:50
Originally posted by Darkstar
Friday is the power night for SciFi. So why should fridays be bad for UPN? I thought the death stab was that it was on UPN?

Because the sci-fi channel is a cable net and doesn't need to draw 5 millions viewers a show (which it never does). A "real" network needs to get better numbers than that. And almost no show can get it done on a Friday night.

Darkstar
10-02-2005, 01:44:54
UPN is cable net. So, again, what's the difference? Hell, SG-1 was the friday anchor for Showtime until they decided the show's cost was too much to bother paying.

And the major broadcast networks barely draw 5 million for most of their shows these days. Just a few draw serious digits... So, again, what's the big deal? Its not like SF fans are expected to have much of a friday night life. ;)

Dark Angel was a Friday night show on Fox Broadcast, and it did good ratings for a few seasons. So... what's the big deal? Is it thought Friday is jinxed? It seems like any other day.

Venom
10-02-2005, 03:45:01
Check the markets. UPN is in way more markets than sci-fi. In many areas (mine included) UPN is not a cable net. It's basic tv. Comes over the air like magic. Sci-fi is happy with 2's on a channel like UPN 2 is a low rating for one of their shitty ass comedies. Let alone their super expensive hour long sci-fi show.

Darkstar
10-02-2005, 04:40:17
UPN is cable net in NYC and Boston. At least, it was the last time I was up there. Humm... so its broadcast in the Carolinas? Anywhere else? Maybe in West Virginia? ;)

You do realize that tv channels that you recieve off your satellite dish don't count as "over the air" or "basic tv", right? :D

However, that doesn't address the point that Friday is a good night for Broadcast Fox. So what is it that makes it good for Fox and bad for UPN?

Sir Penguin
10-02-2005, 04:52:16
How is Friday a good night for Fox?

SP

Darkstar
10-02-2005, 05:40:15
Looks like they average between a 7 to 8 for most of their Friday night primetime show, which is on par for the big 3's weeknight primetimes.

So, how would friday be the kiss of death if it gets the same digits as a tuesday or wednesday show on the big broadcasters (for the non-mega hits)?

UPNs ratings seem to be between 1 and 2 however. So, a 2 would be a big deal for UPN.

Sir Penguin
10-02-2005, 06:24:45
All was quiet on the Friday night front, with NBC receiving the edge needed to win the night in households with a 6.4 rating/11 share. CBS was the peacock's closest competition, courtesy of a 6.0/10, followed by ABC, 5.1/9 and FOX, 2.9/5.
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272%7C93102%7C1%7C,00.html

The ratings for "Numb3rs" fell some in the show's second week in its regular home, but they were still strong enough to lead CBS to a win on Friday.

For the night, CBS averaged a 6.8 rating/12 share, beating NBC's 6.2/11. ABC took third at 5.6/10. Things dropped off from there as fourth-place FOX managed only a 2.5/4, just holding off The WB's 2.4/4. UPN trailed with a 1.4/2.
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272|93389|1|,00.html

SP

Darkstar
10-02-2005, 08:57:27
One night a ratings make? The searches I used on zap2it had the ratings higher for prior shows on Fox for Friday. If friday is the kiss of death, I wanted to see if the data trended that way. Doesn't seem to matter significantly, unless there is a mega-hit rival involved (Survivor, CSI, etc).

However, UPN has only been up to 2 in the same datasets for Friday. I haven't seen it hit higher for any show slot that I bothered to check on. But interestingly, its ratings don't go past 2 either on other days that I looked up. So, by Nelson sourced data, it doesn't matter *when* UPN puts a show on. Just being on UPN is the "kiss of death".

Sir Penguin
10-02-2005, 09:20:09
That's two Fridays out of the last 3. I would be surprised if the other Friday was any better. I'd like to see the searches you used. Or have they taken the articles off-line?

SP

Darkstar
10-02-2005, 18:25:21
Let me dig in my broswer's history to try and find the terms and results.

I'm still curious why fridays are "bad". I've heard all my TV aware life that "fridays are bad", but the only answer I've ever gotten as to "why?" is "well, the advertisers want the young 18 to 20-somethings, who are always out on friday night partying or trying to have a life, and they just don't watch TV then". Which always makes me wonder: what about everyone else? They are watching tv, right? Because they don't have fun or party according to the lore. They just accumulate money until they are old, lonely people that telemarketters scam.

Venom
10-02-2005, 18:53:32
Because a large part of the key marketing demographic (18-45) is not home on Friday nights. Friday night is a death slot for shows because losers and old people (basic CG posters) are the only ones watching TV. So they show movies and shitty shows like Touched By An Angel and JAG and Sci-Fi shit in hopes of hitting the remaining demographics.

Shit, I bet Ming could explain better. Go to Poly and ask him.

Darkstar
10-02-2005, 20:49:43
Ming probably could explain it. Why did he stop posting here? Did we get too intellectual for him? Or did someone threaten to make him a moderator here?

Venom
10-02-2005, 21:01:45
I think he gets enough political shit at Poly. With this place's random rants I think he just said, "Fuck it."

BigGameHunter
11-02-2005, 01:21:20
UPN is magic here, too. I have broadcast only and rarely go out on Friday nights and I still didn't watch that crapola of a show.

Now, if the had just had Janine Blaylock decontaminating with that Asian chick for an hour each week...that shit would have been ungraphable.
Idiots!

The Mad Monk
11-02-2005, 06:33:44
I like Randy Mulholland's take on it:

So long to bad rubbish.

February 3, 2005

According to the SciFi Network, "Enterprise" has indeed been canceled. I'm sure my girlish squeals were heard for miles when I learned this. I, like many others, used to like Star Trek long ago - and tried, very hard, to watch the series after Next Generation. I lost interest pretty early on, though. I saw one episode of Voyager (one too damn many) but, since I liked Bakula in Quantum Leap, I gave Enterprise a couple extra chances to woo me.

They bypassed the idea of Star Trek: Excelsior for that?

But like a moron, every time someone mentions "new Star Trek," a little bit of hope bubbles up in me. But what I don't get are the people who complained about how much they hated Voyager and Enterprise, but watched every damn episode - or the people who defend Enterprise by saying, "Yes, the first three seasons were awful, but the fourth season was great so they should give it another chance." Why on earth would you tolerate three seasons of utter fecal matter? Why even one? And, frankly, if it took four seasons for the show to be watchable, it probably should have been dumped right at the start.

Doesn't matter now, I guess. I'm sure Berman is busy deciding which alien race to make a sex symbol next. Frankly, he should just put a tribble in a bikini. It'll tap the furry audience and give Rush Limbaugh something new to bitch about so he can feel relevant still. -R

http://www.somethingpositive.net/

Venom
11-02-2005, 13:24:25
That's not positive at all.

MDA
11-02-2005, 17:54:27
when you look at some of the new shows UPN is giving a shot, I do wonder why they'd cancel Enterprise.

They look awful.

The Mad Monk
11-02-2005, 22:55:30
Originally posted by Venom
That's not positive at all.

You should drop an email telling him.

He loves that.