PDA

View Full Version : Golf GTI advert- SIngin in the Rain

sleeping_satsuma
02-02-2005, 19:55:30
:rolleyes: Is nothing fucking sacred???

*cue Nills telling me how old fashioned I am. Again.*

Darkstar
02-02-2005, 22:26:15
Your just an old fashioned 1255 (al)chemist.

MattHiggs
02-02-2005, 22:48:57
I like it, but I think my favourite car advert at the moment is for the Audi A6.

Nills Lagerbaak
02-02-2005, 22:58:04
Originally posted by sleeping_satsuma
:rolleyes: Is nothing fucking sacred???

*cue Nills telling me how old fashioned I am. Again.*

OH GOD.....I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN.....

Actually I haven't seen this one yet, have they taken the words to singing in the rain and introduced Volkswagen therin? If so I too take exception, despite the fact I intend to purchase said Golf.

sleeping_satsuma
02-02-2005, 23:06:28
no its worse than that dude!!!

they've taken the entire film sequence and got someone to reanimate it so he's breakdancing, and they've remixed the song. It horrifies me.

miester gandertak
02-02-2005, 23:07:34
it's the end of the world and you know it

sleeping_satsuma
02-02-2005, 23:10:50
the 400 horsepower of the apocalypse?

Nills Lagerbaak
02-02-2005, 23:13:31
Originally posted by sleeping_satsuma
no its worse than that dude!!!

they've taken the entire film sequence and got someone to reanimate it so he's breakdancing, and they've remixed the song. It horrifies me.

I see. That does sound pretty horrific. There is obviously some kind of breakdancing theme to car adverts these days. There's another one that features breadancing, but this time it's an actual transforming car that is breakdancing. I like that one.

sleeping_satsuma
02-02-2005, 23:21:52
yeah thats wicked, but its not breakdancing, its John Travolta's solo dance from saturday Night Fever :D

Nills Lagerbaak
02-02-2005, 23:24:40
:o

I know what the Charleston looks like, and that's all I need to know.

sleeping_satsuma
02-02-2005, 23:28:21
I know what John Travolta looks like disco dancing in a sharp white suit circa 1975, thats all any woman needs to know!

DevilsH@lo
03-02-2005, 07:08:26
I think the VW advert is good, for starters if it's got you remembering what make and model of car it's for then it's obviously succeeded in it's objective.

The audi one is good, but if you catch the advert in anything but its completeness then you have no clue what the hell it's about.

Sir Penguin
03-02-2005, 07:10:43
My favourite car ad is I, Robot.

SP

DevilsH@lo
03-02-2005, 07:13:54
lol@SP

Yeah my favourite trainer ad is I. Robot

Koshko
03-02-2005, 07:23:36
Mine has to be the transformer car.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 09:42:19
I think it's brilliant. Really cool funny advert and really well done. Although I didn't remember what it was an advert for. :lol:

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 09:47:57
Here it is:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-video/Media/video/2005/01/27/golfgti.mov

Fantastic

DevilsH@lo
03-02-2005, 09:49:09
You on about the singing in the rain one mike??

besides the citroen adverts, car adverts in general are becoming more and more subtle i think.

You only see the golf for about a second or 2 at the end and that's it.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 09:50:39
The singing in the rain one, yes.

And - best thing, as it seems to have a tagline of "the original updated" it's probably the first of many.

What this means is - Golf GTI aimed at me, not at satsuma. :)

Drekkus
03-02-2005, 10:03:11
Looks really good.

miester gandertak
03-02-2005, 10:06:31
thank you

Drekkus
03-02-2005, 10:12:06
What for?

miester gandertak
03-02-2005, 10:15:01
the compliment

Drekkus
03-02-2005, 11:05:05
you draw lines, not make really cool videos!

King_Ghidra
03-02-2005, 11:32:02
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Golf GTI aimed at me

Look out!

Nills Lagerbaak
03-02-2005, 12:38:46
OMG, it's wicked! Satsuma - get with the times!

protein
03-02-2005, 12:41:55
The bloke who did the music for the transformer car is a mate of the other guys from Reading and Madonna's bassist.

He's also working on the DSA album with me.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 12:44:16
Stuart Price?

He's her musical director as well as bassist.

protein
03-02-2005, 12:48:57
Hey, that singing in the rain ad is fucking amazing!

The dancing is superb but the seemless technology that went into is was jawdropping.

Which is exactly how you are supposed to associate.

Golf - cutting edge jawdropping technology.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 12:50:22
Exactly.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 13:41:01
Also - as this scene is already one of the most copied and spoofed scenes in cinema, in what way is it sacred?

It's not even that good really. Bit boring.

:nervous:

Debaser
03-02-2005, 13:47:47
Interesting fact about that scene: For the rain effect they had to use milk instead of water because water didn't show up too well on film.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 13:49:17
After take 12 it must have really started to stink.

miester gandertak
03-02-2005, 13:53:11
Originally posted by Debaser
Interesting fact about that scene: For the rain effect they had to use milk instead of water because water didn't show up too well on film. shoot it on video instead on film

protein
03-02-2005, 13:55:09
What? You mean go back in time, invent video and then reshoot the movie?

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 13:57:54
That's definitely a PHd!

protein
03-02-2005, 14:04:43
wow. my first phd.

It's because I'm stupid. No, I mean because I have a hang over and I'm stupi.. I mean tired.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 14:10:37
It was because you were trying to be clever. ;)

sleeping_satsuma
03-02-2005, 20:57:00
Originally posted by protein
Hey, that singing in the rain ad is fucking amazing!

The dancing is superb but the seemless technology that went into is was jawdropping.

Which is exactly how you are supposed to associate.

Golf - cutting edge jawdropping technology.

I agree that the effects are incredible, and part of me likes it against my will but I dont like

-the pointless raping of an iconic moment in cinema history, for the sake of a 30 second advert for a mediocre car.
-Its kinda creepy to reanimate anyone dead. They do this to Marilyn a lot, and that offends me equally.
-No one can top Gene Kelly, he was one of the best ever dancers, and HOT to boot. He doesn't need updating.
-The way that advert executives appear to have run out of their own ideas (coke is so hard to get hold of these days) and just stick classic songs over pictures of cars, or steal bits of films etc. They used a Jimi Hendrix track a few years back for a BMW or something- HAVE THEY NO SOULS???!!!

Call me old-fashioned if you will.

As Bill Hicks said, 'If you're in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. There's no punch line- just kill yourself.' :)

Darkstar
03-02-2005, 22:37:23
It sucked. Completely.

As advertising, I now associate the fact that ad suckes so much with the car.

Now, if they had just not used Kelly's face. And not kept the original soundtrack under their hop track, it would have been much better. There's some bad meshing of Kelly's face... it doesn't move naturally with the bod. Really stands out. There are color issues... his face color is way off, shadows don't match.

Just what is so outstanding? That it sucks so horribly and that they wasted so much money when they could have made a much better ad?

protein
03-02-2005, 22:42:24
utter bollocks

unless you've seen it on a cinema screen or something.

It looks great on my monitor.

Darkstar
03-02-2005, 22:49:38
Looks like complete crap on mine. Contrast, color, lighting... none of it matches up consistantly. Hell, he's got a ghost face effect for a couple of seconds! They should have spent more time on that.

Plus, there are multiple kinetic failures. Places where the neck is in impossible positions for the head position and still be a fully alive human. But hey. What's that got to do with anything? Its the effects that counts, right? Nothing else matters but FX these days, after all.

sleeping_satsuma
03-02-2005, 23:15:47
yeah thats true, the face seems to slide around. It looks perfect in some bits and rubbish in others.

Nills Lagerbaak
03-02-2005, 23:38:21
Mediocre car?!?! That's bollocks! The Golf GTI has been and still is the defining car since....well they were invented. Bullshit gimmicks and "sports cars for the masses" aside the Golf is the epitemy of modern automotive engineering, encompasing everyhing that is pracitcal and useful in modern motoring (safety, economy, reliability, speed, class).
Yes I sound like a salesman, but serously when you look at everything else that is suppposed to be good, the VW always wins, and to have people put that much effort in to make an equivilently impressive advert somehow seems fitting!

Debaser
03-02-2005, 23:51:05
Obviously they can't get him to look and move exactly as he normally did and make him perform a completely new "dance", so they've gone for a slightly weird, slightly kind of robotic style of animation. I think stylistically it looks great.

Did anyone see that hoax suicide bomber VW ad recently? That was classy too.

protein
03-02-2005, 23:57:07
That was wicked. It looked like a 30,000 advert to me.

Debaser
04-02-2005, 00:03:20
Yeah, but 30,000 ads are that expensive because that's how much wanky ad agencys charge. You could have made it for the cost of a new Golf, a 3000 broadcast quality DV camera, and a couple of hundred quids worth of special effect explosives... hmm, so still about 15,000.

protein
04-02-2005, 00:05:39
It's the details that got me. When there's a close up on the window there are these really crisp lines of light on the perfectly polished window, the location is really nice, the moving car shots are really smooth etc. They also must have closed the road.

DevilsH@lo
04-02-2005, 09:24:14
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Mediocre car?!?! That's bollocks! The Golf GTI has been and still is the defining car since....well they were invented. Bullshit gimmicks and "sports cars for the masses" aside the Golf is the epitemy of modern automotive engineering, encompasing everyhing that is pracitcal and useful in modern motoring (safety, economy, reliability, speed, class).
Yes I sound like a salesman, but serously when you look at everything else that is suppposed to be good, the VW always wins, and to have people put that much effort in to make an equivilently impressive advert somehow seems fitting!

Nils i agree with the phase 1 and the phase 2 8 and 16 valves, but from phase 3 VW completely lost their way, they surgically removed any hint of driving pleasure or performance from the GTI and the marketing and R&D teams fully accept this, that was the reason the VR6 came into being. Since phase 2 VW hasn't really produced a GTI to come close to the iconic status of the phase 1 & 2 and the golfs to own today are the V models and the R32. The GTI is probably nearly as desirable as a fiesta poplar plus. As for the ad, the one thing i noticed about it was the streetlight part where his body seems almost completely disjointed from his head, which seemed physically impossible, but having said that the CGI was no worse than some of the recent big movies.

The Golf GTI iconic :lol: not since the early 90's. If you need any proof then look to the big manufacturers. The top focus (a far better car) is the RS, when people do comparisons between focus and golf they use the RS and R32 because the GTI really is no competition, VW even produce a better car in the same class which doesn't have a VW badge on it, the Leon Cupra R.

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 09:26:23
Ah.

Now I understand the problem.

Satsuma doesn't realise that reanimating the dead is really cool.

miester gandertak
04-02-2005, 09:28:38
and singing in the rain is really lame......
bet she loves sound of music aswell

do a deer a female deer

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 09:36:21
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
Nils i agree with the phase 1 and the phase 2 8 and 16 valves, but from phase 3 VW completely lost their way, they surgically removed any hint of driving pleasure or performance from the GTI and the marketing and R&D teams fully accept this, that was the reason the VR6 came into being. Since phase 2 VW hasn't really produced a GTI to come close to the iconic status of the phase 1 & 2 and the golfs to own today are the V models and the R32. The GTI is probably nearly as desirable as a fiesta poplar plus. As for the ad, the one thing i noticed about it was the streetlight part where his body seems almost completely disjointed from his head, which seemed physically impossible, but having said that the CGI was no worse than some of the recent big movies.

The Golf GTI iconic :lol: not since the early 90's. If you need any proof then look to the big manufacturers. The top focus (a far better car) is the RS, when people do comparisons between focus and golf they use the RS and R32 because the GTI really is no competition, VW even produce a better car in the same class which doesn't have a VW badge on it, the Leon Cupra R.

Agreed, they definitely lost their way....but the new Golf is supposedly a return to form, won top gear's car of the year, and they were very critical about them in the past.

DevilsH@lo
04-02-2005, 09:44:27
Seems like they have streamlined the range, that engine i believe is taken from a TT which seems like they have moved to forced induction and high horsepower rather than massive torque.

The first induction of the VR6 was a monster with the torque it produced, this seems to be more sedate, it'll probably sell well with it being VW. Although it does seem to be in direct competition with the A3 and the Leon and i assume that the skoda franchise may have something similar available soon.

See what happens when companies get too big. YOU SEE!!! :D

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 10:01:09
I see, I know from first hgand experience only too well what happens when companies get too big.

So the A3, Leon and Skoda eh? Any other viable alternatives to the GTI? I think Golfs are over-priced and hideously expensive to insure.

DevilsH@lo
04-02-2005, 10:11:57
Depends what brand you lean towards to be honest, i got my mum to buy a skoda felicia (basic) and she has had no issue's with it at all. Seem's to carry VW reliability but with better after care.

Also depends alot on how much you have to spend or your company banding or whatever.

If you want an involving drive i would always go for either RWD or 4WD. Most of the european stuff tends to be FWD although the Focus RS has a clever Limited Slip Diff which makes it enjoyable, if a little prone to torque steer.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 10:19:54
Gotta be careful with RWD though, can be unstable if not accounted for no?
Hmm, will have to do some research/test driving.

DevilsH@lo
04-02-2005, 10:26:32
My first RWD car was the 200sx i had, which has claimed victims, but like any car if you treat it with respect while you learn your own limits and put good tyres on them they are totally manageable.

FWD is inherently safer because when in trouble you lift off the gas and everything returns to some semblance of normality if you do that with RWD it will fish tail.

I would avoid anything by FIAT at the moment, they have real build quality issue's, Alfa seem to have sorted themselves out, i've not been impressed by the models from renault or citroen.
Avoid anything korean. Japanese is safe from the big 4, if you look around you could probably find an RX8 for similar money to a top of the range GTI, although be aware that the rotor tips need changing at about 80K miles and thats a 3K bill, and it drinks fuel (as all wankels do) if you are looking at 20K then you have a choice of some really exciting cars my personal choice would be the 350z but then i'm a nissan freak.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 10:29:43
I think 20K is a bit out of my range! I was thinking more 6-8K a few years old. I like the idea of a wankel engine, I thought they were more efficient (at least in theory)

DevilsH@lo
04-02-2005, 10:36:02
I honestly don't know enough about wankels, but in the case of performance wankels then you are looking at around 13-18mpg in the case of the RX7.

What do you need to be able to do with the car??

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 10:40:59
Not too much to be honest, motorway driving mainly, so I want something 1.6 upwards with a bit of oomph, that isn't gonna break and maybe looks good (oh and is efficient)!

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 10:51:15
Oh and if you're interested a wankel engine has three combusion chambers set in a circular fashion with one big piston that turns round compressing and firing all three at the same time. So it's in theory very efficient

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 10:53:01
And a wankel engine has a fantastically funny name!

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 10:54:48
Oh yeah, I remeber laughing out loud when we leared about it. Then I rmembered it was towards a master's degree :o

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 11:07:41
FunkyFingers (remember him?) once came home from a Biochemistry in serious laughing trouble. They'd had an entire hours lecture on Ring Strain. He nearly died I think.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 11:22:18
Poor guy! When someone at work first asked me to value a "crack spread" I had to suppress a giggle.

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 12:13:46
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
The GTI is probably nearly as desirable as a fiesta poplar plus.

Hey! :mad:

;)

I'm no "performance" car fan really, so this sort of thing is just my cup of tea. Drove one the other day - lovely drive if a little sedate, and not *fantastic* in a corner (well, not compared to my KA anyway) but I'd definately have one.

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 12:21:07
A KA? Was it the Hair Salon they made you a partner in?

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 13:02:28
A KA? Was it the Hair Salon they made you a partner in?

:rolleyes:

I've been through hours of this stuff before - in fact, I got a load of it from you lot here over a year ago, when I bought it :p

A quick defence - cheap, small (good for parking), lot of fun to drive (a bit old-Mini-style in it's handling), nice town car (where I do 99% of my driving).

protein
04-02-2005, 13:06:25
I hired a KA once. It was really, really nice. It's like a nippy go kart with a bubble around it. There's so much window around you there are pretty much no blind spots.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:06:56
Looks like a hippo with a crippled spine.

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 13:09:26

...that can run round corners really quick :clueless:

Debaser
04-02-2005, 13:11:11

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Anyway, weren't you looking for one of these little babies?

http://www.bambootrading.com/1800/1834.jpg

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 13:12:35
Oooh, my mum used to have one of those. It made me think of the Back to The Future car wheneve we got in it.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:19:46
Exactly!!! I really want one of those puppies, my money is on that car becming a classic collectable one day (muich like the Capri)

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 13:22:36
Exactly!!! I really want one of those puppies, my money is on that car becming a classic collectable one day (muich like the Capri)

Get one here for 175 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9873&item=4524469554&rd=1)

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 13:23:04
Originally posted by Rodgers

I've been through hours of this stuff before - in fact, I got a load of it from you lot here over a year ago, when I bought it :p

A quick defence - cheap, small (good for parking), lot of fun to drive (a bit old-Mini-style in it's handling), nice town car (where I do 99% of my driving).

Yeah. I know. It's fun! :D

I heard they were really good to drive, like the fiesta before the new one - which Jeremy Clarkson reviewed on Top Gear. it almost killed him as he had to totally kiss a Fiesta's arse.

Still a hairdressers car though.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:25:54
Although this is a much finer example.....

http://www.corradocentral.com/scirocco.htm

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:31:55
Check it!

A true beauty!

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 13:37:09
Why not buy that one for 175!

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 13:39:16
Check it!

A true beauty!

Ouch!

A bit "drug dealer" isnt it? :hmm:

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:39:24
Because it's in terrible condition and will probably break. You can't deny that the car shown above is the most beautiful thing in the world.
I would like to turn up to a gig in that. Hell, I'd like to turn up to my own funeral in that.!

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:40:16
Ouch!

A bit "drug dealer" isnt it? :hmm:

Well, the nice thing is that it looks flashy and osentatious but really people will know you paid at most 1000 for it!

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 13:40:17
Yeah. I know. It's fun! :D

I heard they were really good to drive, like the fiesta before the new one - which Jeremy Clarkson reviewed on Top Gear. it almost killed him as he had to totally kiss a Fiesta's arse.

Still a hairdressers car though.

I've seen quite a few blokes driving them lately though. That helps me through the darker times :(

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:41:43
Yeah, I think it's crazy that they allow blokes to be hairdressers! Although it knowing that does help me through the hard times!

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 13:43:04
The only male hairdresser I actually know is Jamie Bott's brother, I'm sure it's a coincidence that he's gay...

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:45:56
looks like we're not the only ones questioning the inclinations of the Ka...

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 13:46:27
:lol:

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 13:46:49
:lol:

Damn - seen the EXACT same car I first ever bought (1.6GL Orion - F Reg) in *mint* condition on Ebay for only 500. I'm so tempted to buy it - it would be like travelling back in time to my youth :love:

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 13:47:34
I can't believe I found that. I thought "Typing Ka and Gay into google surely can't yield anything...."

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 14:03:28
I'm surprised it didnt bring my bloody address up :o

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 14:08:09
Well, I wasn't going to say anything.....

Drekkus
04-02-2005, 14:14:22

A quick defence - cheap, small (good for parking), lot of fun to drive (a bit old-Mini-style in it's handling), nice town car (where I do 99% of my driving). I think that was actually about buying a Fiesta. Which is the KA's big butch brother. :D

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 14:15:15
It was - the new one is a bit of a pensionermobile. Not bad though.

Drekkus
04-02-2005, 14:17:43
Ah well, you're getting married anyway. So you don't have to cruise for chicks or prove your manhood anymore. :D

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 14:19:00
Yeah, I suppose I should just slam my genitals in the door next time I get out of the car.

Drekkus
04-02-2005, 14:20:37
No, you need to reproduce first, THEN slam your genitals in the door.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 14:21:22
Actually with the Ka, I can see the door breaking at the hinge.

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 14:57:10
Actually with your genitals, I can see the door breaking at the hinge.

zmama
04-02-2005, 15:04:13
The car is that tiny?

Venom
04-02-2005, 15:38:11
Summary?

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 15:39:16
Cars are cool

Venom
04-02-2005, 15:40:08
So what's up with the gay pink car?

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 15:44:55
That's Rodgers car.

Venom
04-02-2005, 15:47:10
What a queer.

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 15:48:39
He's a partner in a hair salon apparently.

Venom
04-02-2005, 15:52:10
So he swallows more spunk than Rod Stewart?

Nills Lagerbaak
04-02-2005, 15:56:59
Rodgers by name, Rodgers by nature

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 16:30:09
Originally posted by Venom
So he swallows more spunk than Rod Stewart?

I put it in those little Yakult bottles so no one can tell what I'm doing :o

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 16:33:24
You idiot, what do you think was in them already?

zmama
04-02-2005, 16:35:31
Summary:

cars are as boring as fish

Venom
04-02-2005, 16:37:50
Two conflicting summaries....which one to believe. I know, I'll believe whichever one that agrees with my own personal beliefs. No need to research the truth or any such nonsense.

CARS ARE COOL!

zmama
04-02-2005, 16:41:09
Not the ones they are arguing about!

Venom
04-02-2005, 16:42:48
Oh, they're arguing about Euro-poofta cars? Yeah, those aren't cool.

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 16:43:16
You idiot, what do you think was in them already?

Someone else's

Funkodrom
04-02-2005, 16:43:53
Oh. Fair point then.

sleeping_satsuma
04-02-2005, 23:51:26
I still say that advert is sacrilege, and lazy.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
05-02-2005, 17:13:13
Originally posted by Venom
Oh, they're arguing about Euro-poofta cars? Yeah, those aren't cool.

You'd kill for that pink ford ka, pinkshirt.

Oerdin
05-02-2005, 17:49:10
He's already got a closet full of pink shirts. ;)