PDA

View Full Version : Is that a bad stereotype (cars & women)

paiktis22
01-02-2005, 14:21:28
I've been checking the used cars ads recently because frankly it's no use getting a new car where I live. The pettyness of delinquants (bare with my spelling) will have it redecorated with key scratches in a week.
So I've been checking the ads and there are naturally some really good bargains. In these instances speed is the key. The faster you call, set up a meeting, check the car the chances increase you are going to get it. That means that good deals are evaporated approximatevely 4 hours after the newspaper with the ads circulates in the morning.
Now I have noticed an exception to that.
If:
a) it is a good deal
b) the owner is a woman
then the good deal lasts longer, meaning you'll have probably a couple of days or more to make your move about the car.
Is that because of the stereotype that women are bad drivers and they "murder" the car? And most importantly is there any truth to that claim? Being liberal minded I refuse to believe any such crap and I'll laugh and take advantage of people's narrowmindness as I'll buy the car in a very good price (but untill it breaks down after 2 km?)
:shoot:

paiktis22
01-02-2005, 14:35:55
Anyway I'm going to see it after tomorrow. I set up a date. The voice was that of a middle aged woman. A voice broken by life, but honest and not doubleface. Plus the car has a/c. I think I can trust her.
I called a bojo earlier, he wanted to show what a "straight - no bullshit" man he was and that his word is guarantee. That translates as a dumb lying pig to me, I made him wait for me to call him again. Truckdriver.

Debaser
01-02-2005, 15:21:40
People put "One lady owner" on car ads because the stereotype is the opposite of what you just described. Women are supposedly slower, more considerate drivers, who don't knacker their clutches, handbrakes, and tyres with dumb macho Indy 500 style driving, burnouts etc... and as a result their cars should be in better condition. Supposedly.

Debaser
01-02-2005, 15:23:37
(Make sure you check the rims for any kerb mounting damage, and check for superficial damage to the front and rear lights and bumpers from attempts to park in "tight" supermarket carpark spaces)

paiktis22
01-02-2005, 15:46:54
Different cultures I guess. But I think I'll agree with the fact that women tend to be much more careful drivers and thus the state of the car should be better.
Ok, I don't understand "kerb mounting damage". My dictionary doesn't have "kerb". It does have some minor damages from parking, the lady told me so (she did seem quite honest), these minor damages have been fixed. If I like it I'll have it checked in a nearby car, em, fixing place to see if it has had any serious crash. But I'm sure it won't have.
BTW do you think it's ok to search a bit and maybe get a car from a car rental shop? They do have to change them after 5 years and get new onces. I asked a guy who bought one from one of these caar rental places and he was satisfied. I asked some other guys and they told me it's not such a good idea since the cars would have seen some heavy, reckless use. What do you think?

Funkodrom
01-02-2005, 15:48:31
Originally posted by Debaser
People put "One lady owner" on car ads because the stereotype is the opposite of what you just described. Women are supposedly slower, more considerate drivers, who don't knacker their clutches, handbrakes, and tyres with dumb macho Indy 500 style driving, burnouts etc... and as a result their cars should be in better condition. Supposedly.

Wow... are you a professional in the car advertisement field?

Rodgers
01-02-2005, 16:27:19
Dont buy rental cars - no one drives them carefully so they'll be worn out mechanically even if cosmetically they look OK.

Women advertising might not be as aggressive in "deal making", negotiation etc as men so might take a little longer to off load the vehicle or to arrange times to view it etc. Might not be to do with the car itself, just the approach of the person selling it.

paiktis22
01-02-2005, 16:29:36
Could be it. The thing is that the prices of some of the ads by women are very competitive so the buyer should be the one ti be in a hurry but the ads still linger on for longer.

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 20:24:16
Women, by stereotype, take better care of there cars then men. They drive more carefully, and look after the car better. Particularly the interior and car body.

However, stereotypically, women don't go for the hot/top quality options on the car itself. So smallest engine in the car, cheapest suspension, etc etc etc.

Women also tend to be more firm on their listings. If they list $3K, then mean it. Guys tend to "add in bargaining room".

Just the tired old stereotypes in buying used cars... you never really know until you go check out the vehicle and talk to the seller yourself (of course ;)).

Of course, if she has kids, then mom's vehicle gets the beating. And the food smashed into the carpetting and seat cracks and vents and... that can make a real difference for non-child ferrying people. The difference is tremendous. It's like buying a car owned by a smoker when you don't smoke.

Oh that reminds me... more women smoke then men. So that could be another reason that the car hasn't moved. Not as attractive to non-smokers.

Japher
01-02-2005, 20:27:15
Women also tend to be more firm on their listings

That's probably 'cause they already spent the money.

Venom
01-02-2005, 20:30:52
Women take better care of the interior of their cars? BULLSHIT! Purses and water bottles and makeup shit all over the place.

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 20:33:39
It's just a stereotype, Venom. But a woman that never checks her oil is more likely to keep the interior of her car immaculate, compared to a guy. If the guy doesn't bother with keeping up the basics, he probably is too lazy to worry about the interior.

sleeping_satsuma
01-02-2005, 20:37:22
I used to work in car insurance, and the reason women's insurance is significantly lower than men's (particularly among yoof) is because women have significantly less accidents. I think its difficult to say whether women 'look after' their cars better- I suspect fewer women know where the oil goes etc, but then they probably dont push the car to its limits either which is why they are safer drivers.

Venom
01-02-2005, 20:39:49
Women drive more cautiously but leave the inside of the car a mess. Mess drive like hell but keep the inside cleaner. Think about. A car is like a giant purse to a women. All kinds of stuff in there.

Japher
01-02-2005, 20:42:42
I don't know how women get in less accidents... maybe cause men are always crashing themselves trying to avoid the soccer mom whose braiding her hair, shifting, drink coffee, and pulling gum out of little timmy's hair.

Women are awful drivers... safety has nothing to do with it.

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 20:48:07
You need to come look at my step dad's vehicles then.

Are you confusing mothers for single gals? It's a lot more difficult to keep the kiddie car clean. Once the kids have stuck french fries down the vents where you aren't getting at them without some serious tool work, its much harder to justify keeping the car clean. Strangely, the smell of rotting garbage has that effect on people.

Most women I know without kids, keep a fairly clean vehicle. Some, being OC, keep immaculate vehicles. Others are just in love with their cars, and love keeping their wheels in great shape. The gear heads gals I know follow gear head standards (showroom to grease pit, depending on what in particular she's into).

Venom
01-02-2005, 20:49:52
Ok. Gearheads don't count. That's like saying the geeky crowd keep their hard drives defragged or a pilot likes to keep his airplane in the sky. It's a given.

Japher
01-02-2005, 20:56:40
Steroetype include only the norm...

Go with the old saying; a clean desk means there's a messy drawer

If the car is clean, and it's a chick, it is probably sheit under the hood

If the car is mess, and it's a chick, chances are she probably took some time to have it serviced

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 20:57:14
Venom, very true.

Japh, not true. Ask to check the reciepts from having it serviced. If someone is selling a car, and its interior is currently messy, then they probably didn't bother to have it regularly serviced. It's like someone walking into an interview while in their pajamas! With cars, you clean up what you are trying to sell, unless you are selling it as scrap.

Venom
01-02-2005, 20:59:27
2 other things. You're in NASAville which means #1 you don't know many women. #2 Any women you do know probably has a car with an anti-matter engine or a gravity drive. Those are special situations.

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 21:01:49
:lol:
I know a lot of women! In NASAville, there's a lot of MRS degree hunters! ;) And it takes a lot of secretaries to translate scientists and engineer writings into something human technicians can read, build, and service! ;)

Mmmmmm! Gravity drive!

Venom
01-02-2005, 21:04:56
I said gravity, not gravy.

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 21:06:36
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Gravy drive!

Venom
01-02-2005, 21:07:20
For our gravy train of course.

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 21:08:45
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Gravy train!

Debaser
01-02-2005, 22:28:24
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Wow... are you a professional in the car advertisement field?

Yes, as a matter of fact I am, and in my professional opinion nobody here's said much of value.

Paiktis, ignore all the man/woman stuff, it's meaningless. Yes, on the whole women are safer drivers. No, this doesn't necessarily mean they are better drivers blah blah blah... It's all irrelevant.

Basic tips:
If you aren't really a car expert, get someone who is to have a look at the vehicle before you buy it. If the seller has any problem with you doing this then it isn't worth buying anyway.

If something looks too good be true then it is.

Mileage is a much better indicator of how long a car will last than the year of manufacture (though motorway miles can be an exception).

Never buy a car without a full service history (or at least a detailed part service history with no huge gaps).

And buy private. Car salesmen are scum who will see you coming, and will try to rip you off.

Japher
01-02-2005, 22:41:36
in my professional opinion nobody here's said much of value.

oooh, your professional opinion was needed to figure that out?

Debaser
01-02-2005, 23:00:26
It certainly isn't needed for this reply.

Japher
01-02-2005, 23:13:06
which reply?

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 23:45:18
Yes, as a matter of fact I am, and in my professional opinion nobody here's said much of value.

And buy private. Car salesmen are scum who will see you coming, and will try to rip you off.

:hmm: Your a professional car advertiser or a professional car salesman?

Debaser
02-02-2005, 00:23:15
I don't understand your point (and it isn't because of your appalling grammar and sentence structure).

Koshko
02-02-2005, 04:28:55
Originally posted by Japher
I don't know how women get in less accidents... maybe cause men are always crashing themselves trying to avoid the soccer mom whose braiding her hair, shifting, drink coffee, and pulling gum out of little timmy's hair.

Women are awful drivers... safety has nothing to do with it.

Well for starters, about 85-90% of drunk drivers are Men. That alone will skewer the statistics somewhat.

Oerdin
02-02-2005, 05:41:06
Yeah, most of the guys I know abuse their cars because they think they are Mario Andretti or something while girls tend to drive the speed limit and always signal.

Darkstar
02-02-2005, 06:26:08

:hmm: You are a professional car advertiser or a professional car salesman? You aren't clear from where your professional experience grants you special/authoritative knowledge.

Japher
02-02-2005, 06:27:59
Well for starters, about 85-90% of drunk drivers are Men. That alone will skewer the statistics somewhat.

That makes sense... men need to be drubnk in order to drive worse the women... thanks for proving that point.

The worst driver: old asian women

paiktis22
02-02-2005, 17:22:14
Okey I went to see it. It looks really cool I would have bought it then and there if not for really trying. I chekced whatever I could check. Everything seems to work fine but again I'm not aan expert. One bad thing: they haven't payed insurance which means the car can't move so I can't get it to my acquintance mechanic to check it out. They have no problem if I bring someone to see it, they just can't have it go any place and they live on the other side of Attica. Fucking hell. I only need someone to check it out but I don't know anyone who would be willing to leave their mechanic fixing place to check it. I have an albanian friend though who knows a lot about cars and he doesn't have a shop maybe he can come. We'll see.

But I think in order to really check a car you should bring it to a mechanic's shop so that he'll put it on those ramps and lift it up and check the straight lines etc etc. I don't think one can see all that just by looking at it parked on the street?

Rodgers
02-02-2005, 17:33:41
Isnt there any kind of motoring organistion that can help you? Here the AA or RAC will come out and inspect a car you are thinknig of buying, for about 80.

paiktis22
02-02-2005, 17:35:03
Another thing: the abrayaz (=the pedal with which you change gears?) is hard to push. I hadn't turned on the engine when I stepped on it so.. I heard that if you turn on the engine it will ease. I guess it needs new disc (gah I don't know any of the terminology of cars in english). Anyway it's at 60.0000 kilometers and the previous service was done at 52.000 km. It all looks really good. I can see myself driving Poseidon Avenue with the hot chick next to me I can see it! Ok I stop now. But I have to act fast or it will be gone in a couple of days.

paiktis22
02-02-2005, 17:36:23
Originally posted by Rodgers
Isnt there any kind of motoring organistion that can help you? Here the AA or RAC will come out and inspect a car you are thinknig of buying, for about 80.

Hey cool. I can probably phone someone to do that. I didn't think of it. Thanks. It will cost me something extra but what the hell, if I have no other alternative.

zmama
02-02-2005, 17:36:38
clutch

Rodgers
02-02-2005, 17:37:07
You mean the "clutch" - no, I've never had a car that had an easier clutch action when the engine was on. Brakes - yes. Clutch - no. Whether this means there is a problem I'm not sure.

Rodgers
02-02-2005, 17:38:35
Originally posted by paiktis22
Hey cool. I can probably phone someone to do that. I didn't think of it. Thanks. It will cost me something extra but what the hell, if I have no other alternative.

No worries - make sure you ask them what they DONT check just to be sure you arent missing anything important (although, I doubt they wouldnt check it if it *was* important)

DevilsH@lo
03-02-2005, 07:03:40
Some cars come with a power assisted clutch so it may well soften when the engine is running, air pressure servo assisted deal.

Men and women drive differently and hence the difference's in insurance policies, i'm not going to get into who's better or who is worse, the facts which have come out of the recent changes to UK driving test is that women are more cautious than men but have worse hazard perception.

The one thing that would concern me about a car driven by a woman is the very fact that women are cautious drivers can tend to put more strain onto the engine, the change gears earlier at lower revs which can put excessive stress on engine/gearbox and because of this it also means that the engine can coke up due to never actually obtaining the correct operating temperature. Another factor which is added too by women tending to do short journeys.

I wouldn't touch it without starting it first, check the exhaust for smoke, you will get steam initially until it reaches operating temperature, if this clears once warm then there isn't likely to be any engine problems, if it remains white there is a coolant problem if on revving you show blue then there is an oil issue.

Also if you can pull a spark plug, the nose should have creamy deposit on it, indicating it being run at correct temperature, if it is black or looks clean then avoid, black would be indicitive of piston rings failing and clean is bore wash due to excessive fuel and pre ignition.

Oh and pull the oil cap on the engine, check for anything other than oil, if it looks like it has salad cream mixed with the oil avoid it means the head gasket has gone and the oil is mixing with the coolant, you can also check a cold expansion tank for oil which will signify the same thing.

Rodgers
03-02-2005, 10:10:15
"Also if you can pull a spark plug, the nose should have creamy deposit on it, indicating it being run at correct temperature, if it is black or looks clean then avoid, black would be indicitive of piston rings failing and clean is bore wash due to excessive fuel and pre ignition."

Sooty spark ends could be due to having run it with the choke out a lot though.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 10:17:44
Avoid pulling things with creamy deposits at the end. Full stop.

DevilsH@lo
03-02-2005, 10:20:26
Which is over fuelling, albeit intentional, this can cause detonation which can cause crown damage in extreme cases.

Assuming it's anything resembling a modern engine then the choke will be a wax vile/coolant temperature controlled type device.

DevilsH@lo
03-02-2005, 10:21:20
Creamy deposits are good in this case mike, i assure you.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 10:23:01
Don't choke.

DevilsH@lo
03-02-2005, 10:24:07
ok finbar i`ll try not too.

You suck!

MoSe
03-02-2005, 12:23:54
I only quickly browsed thru the thread, so sorry if this is currently OOC...

Seterotype:
I remember when I was 20-25 I was disgusted with friends indulging in that stereotype, I called them narrowminded and backwards.
Then one invited me to take notice of real driving. To my scorn I had to take my modern thinking back.
I set me to OBSERVE, everytime I was driving, each time I saw a car making a stupid, awkward or dangerous manoeuvre to check the driver sex, if possible.
To my utter surprise, 8 out of 10 are women. I keep paying attention, and over 15 years maybe that ratio lowered... to 7 out of 10 to be kind.
This is no prejudice, it's real life observation, and it can't be biased, as the outcome CONTRADDICTS the principles and the beliefs of the observer: I'd HOPE it didn't turn out so, but it did and it keeps doing...

I mean, I agree that driving women tend to be more cautious, while men tend to be more easygoing and freewheelin.
This means tho that men tend to take risks, but women tend to CAUSE risks for others.
I won't say for instance that women don't look when they come out of their parking. They mostly do. But amongst the few who don't look, women are the majority. Check for yourselves.
Another typical example, I see on average once a month some IDIOT that instead of using the acceleration lane to pick up speed and smoothly insert into highway traffic, STOPS just like it was a crossing! Well, 19 out of 20 of those I see, are women....

King_Ghidra
03-02-2005, 12:29:23
:lol: every day, i laugh and clap my hands and thank god for MoSe

MOBIUS
03-02-2005, 12:31:26
I have to totally agree with MoSe on this...

MOBIUS
03-02-2005, 12:33:54
Sorry.:cute:

Rodgers
03-02-2005, 13:12:04
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
Which is over fuelling, albeit intentional, this can cause detonation which can cause crown damage in extreme cases.

Assuming it's anything resembling a modern engine then the choke will be a wax vile/coolant temperature controlled type device.

Nope - it's a 1979 Mk1 Fiesta with a manual choke (that I obviously dont know how to use properly!) :D

MoSe
03-02-2005, 13:34:27
is that like a gag?
I took my driving lessons on that car....

MoSe
03-02-2005, 13:35:34
Originally posted by paiktis22
(bare with my spelling)

:lol: that's a gem!
well done, paik ;)

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 13:37:34
As a successful lawyer - partner no less - with two houses Rodgers needs a suitable car for his status. So he's got a 25 year old "Classic".

Rodgers
03-02-2005, 15:22:52

No, thats my second car - bought specifically for the purpose of entering a classic car rally on the cheap (condition of entry - all cars must be built before end of 1979).

It's Lands End to John O'Groats in 3 days! Should be a lot of fun! :bounce:

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 15:24:07
So basically when you say no, you actually mean yes. You have bought it specifically because it's a classic. :p

Dyl Ulenspiegel
03-02-2005, 15:29:38
Originally posted by MoSe

I set me to OBSERVE, everytime I was driving, each time I saw a car making a stupid, awkward or dangerous manoeuvre to check the driver sex, if possible.
To my utter surprise, 8 out of 10 are women.

Not surprising, as long as 100 % of them are Italian.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 15:32:01

Rodgers
03-02-2005, 15:44:33
Originally posted by Funkodrom
So basically when you say no, you actually mean yes. You have bought it specifically because it's a classic. :p

:o

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 15:45:29

paiktis22
03-02-2005, 16:16:35
Right, the marvel of the Greek family shined yet again. I'm good at teaching my uncle's kids school lessons with which they have difficulty and I don't know anything about cars. This is a fact with which I have no problem coming to terms. So when I asked said uncle (who knows about cars) to come with me he immideatly said ok. I love him I really do. He's the kind of man that has done lots in his life. He has know how. You should have seen him negotiate with that woman.
Now I was totally wrong about her. I thought she was a kind old honest lady. Man I couldn't have been more wrong. She's a cat! With petals. You should have seen my uncle opening up her psyche like a flower. It was a work of art. At the end of the talk she cut the price by 1/3 and was thanking us!!! Oh and don't say I did nothing. I did a very important thing. I didn't open my mouth and I looked uninterested (as instructed by my uncle). And I did it very well. We are family I got all my uncles and me.

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 16:18:54
:beer:

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 16:19:24
I hope that's taught you a very valuable lesson about stereotypes.

Venom
03-02-2005, 16:22:16
That the one with women being evil incarnate is true?

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 16:23:09
Er...

zmama
03-02-2005, 16:26:03
Of course it is

Venom
03-02-2005, 16:36:31
You know it is. And you know that men can't refuse your evily ways.

miester gandertak
03-02-2005, 16:39:41
never listen to your zmama

zmama
03-02-2005, 16:40:43
Bad move

miester gandertak
03-02-2005, 16:42:07
i am drekkus
look
with a funny hat and all.......

Tizzy
03-02-2005, 16:44:38
Originally posted by Venom
You know it is. And you know that men can't refuse your evily ways.

*evil laugh*

Funkodrom
03-02-2005, 16:45:13
But we're evil too and you can't resist our evil ways.

Venom
03-02-2005, 17:57:26
Except for queers. But they're evil all on their own.

Rodgers
03-02-2005, 18:01:06
Like when they turn you down?

DevilsH@lo
04-02-2005, 10:29:09
Originally posted by Rodgers
"Also if you can pull a spark plug, the nose should have creamy deposit on it, indicating it being run at correct temperature, if it is black or looks clean then avoid, black would be indicitive of piston rings failing and clean is bore wash due to excessive fuel and pre ignition."

Sooty spark ends could be due to having run it with the choke out a lot though.

Rodgers, ignore what i said about the choke yesterday i had a brain fart, running rich will just burn more fuel and cause coking as you described, it's running lean that causes detonation, i obviously had my head up my arse yesterday.
Apologys.
Lee

Rodgers
04-02-2005, 11:25:02
No worries - it seems a pretty solid motor anyway so I'm not worried about it going wrong at all.