PDA

View Full Version : 10 great science books (as recommended in the Guardian)

King_Ghidra
27-01-2005, 12:51:10
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1398873,00.html

King_Ghidra
27-01-2005, 13:13:08
Possible Worlds
JBS Haldane ,1927
[...]
He migrated to India, and died an Indian citizen, announcing his own death from cancer with a ballad that opened with the unforgettable couplet "I wish I had the voice of Homer/To sing of rectal carcinoma".

Immortal Wombat
27-01-2005, 13:37:51
Haldane was cool.
"Would I lay down my life to save my brother? No, but I would to save two brothers or eight cousins."

Pretty good list, I think, but like he says, there are so many good ones that any choice of 10 could be different the next day.

sleeping_satsuma
30-01-2005, 19:15:55
I always thought the Primo Levi book was an autobiography rather than a science book? I have it knocking around somewhere.

RedFred
31-01-2005, 00:47:28
My science book recommendations would include The Curve of Binding Energy by John McPhee near the top. It is about physicist Ted Taylor and the post Manhattan Project atomic bomb. McPhee is perhaps the best non-fiction author of the 20th century. This book along with ones like The Deltiod Pumpkin Seed are awesome. Deltoid Pumpkin seed is about a radically different design for cargo aircraft. Anything McPhee writes he makes interesting. He once wrote an entire book on apples that was great.

Can't believe Asimov never made the list. He has written lucidly on so many subjects. One of his best was called something like The World of Carbon. He took chemistry in university which helps.

Richard Feynman's autobiographies don't contain quite as much science as you might expect from the famous theoretical physicist. But his books are full of insight and humour.

sleeping_satsuma
31-01-2005, 01:34:46
I have some good ones on the dinosaurs, One particularly which postulates that the dinos were warm blooded not cold blooded.