PDA

View Full Version : Watching Anatomy for Beginners on Channel 4

MOBIUS
24-01-2005, 23:40:17
All I can say is:

Oh. My. God!:eek:

HelloKitty
24-01-2005, 23:46:32
I took human anatomy in Uni. I got to dissect the upper extremety and pectoral girdle.

That is a nasty smelly job.

MOBIUS
24-01-2005, 23:51:41
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/A/anatomy/

I am very proud of myself. I did not throw up!:eek:

Martini
24-01-2005, 23:52:44
Jesus christ, why the fuck did i click on that????

MOBIUS
24-01-2005, 23:54:17
Just as well you didn't watch it on TV then...;)

Provost Harrison
25-01-2005, 00:04:04
You're all very squeamish, I don't bat an eyelid at this kind of thing - although it is very likely to do with my background...

Spartak
25-01-2005, 04:18:15
What background is that? Coming from Hull?

HelloKitty
25-01-2005, 04:29:00
It is only gross when youa re doing the dissection.

When I took anatomy we divided the body into 7 sections and each person took a turn dissecting. Upper extr was first so I went first.

They store the bodies for several years before Unis and Med schools get them. The way they store them is stacked up in large vats of phenol, water, and formalyn.

They are so soaked and juicy when you first get them that they spray your face and body as you skin them.

Here are the 3 worst parts of my dissections.

1- In order to get at certain regions you need to use your body as a prop. While dissecting out parts of the forearm and also the brachial plexus in the armpit I had to rest the hand on my shoulder. If you pulled the right muscles accedentally the hand would gently caress the side of your head/face! Once I discovered this many of us walked around the room asking to "look" at something on the other dissector's bodies while they were working and would tug those muscles.

2- Not only were the bodies sopping wet as first dissector, but the gloves really do very little to protect you. Most of the preservatives are hydrophobic and therefore go straight through the gloves. You have to take a break every 40 min or so because the phenol numbs your skin, it also preserves the skin in your hands and lower arms so that you smell like the cadaver for about 4 days if you spend more than an hour in there working. I still cannot eat certain olives and a few other pickled foods because I can taste some of the cadaver's chemicals in them. I also learned not to inhale while my hands were near my mouth while eating.

3- I took a cadaver bath! I was working with a rather tall guy on the other side of the body. SInce he was tall and my knees suck I told him he could lift the table all the way up since I would do most of my work standing anyway. we hadn't noticed that the table had been tiltes feet one click higher than head, and under the double body bags a pool of about a gallon or more human fat, bits of flesh, and juice had gathered.

He went to raise the head up and his left arm clicked before his right. I was standing next to the table as all that juice hit me in the stomach, down my pants, INTO MY PANTS, INTO MY SHOES, ALL OVER MY ARMS!!!

I didn't have my car and had to take the bus home that day. When I got home, I stood int he shower and took off my clothes and found bits of fat and flesh in my panties.

There, I have more anatomy stories if people are interested, but they are all pretty gross.

Spartak
25-01-2005, 04:35:54
Worse than this story? I'm all ears.

HelloKitty
25-01-2005, 04:46:41
A pretty common one that I saw happen to two people but apparently happens a few times every year.

While tearing tissue apart you usually use rats tooth tweezers adn a regular pair of forceps to shred and tear the connective tissue, if you use a scalpel you end up cutting important things. Some areas take alot of muscle to shred and tear off. Well, all of us were warned not to talk or do things like stick our tougnes out like some people do while they are concentrating. 2 people learned why as lumps tore off and flew into their mouths.

I loved the lab coordinator standing next to them laughing as they ran to the sink/trash can spitting and explained that they should induce vomiting in case any of the tissue was swallowed, since it is soaked in formalyn.

The Mad Monk
25-01-2005, 08:05:19
2- Not only were the bodies sopping wet as first dissector, but the gloves really do very little to protect you. Most of the preservatives are hydrophobic and therefore go straight through the gloves. You have to take a break every 40 min or so because the phenol numbs your skin, it also preserves the skin in your hands and lower arms so that you smell like the cadaver for about 4 days if you spend more than an hour in there working.

The hell? Were they just giving you latex gloves?

We use nitriles here, and they work well against IPA, toluene, pyradine, methanol, methylene chloride, and a host of other substances. The only thing I'm wary of is acetone, since that can soften and get through the thinner nitriles.

simpleton
25-01-2005, 08:30:13
Whilst watching the program last night, I was quite disturbed when I realised that the reason that I was so hungry was that the bicep looked just like a juicy, tender pork fillet.

All the guy in the hat needed was a hot pan, some butter, sliced mushrooms, brandy, seasoning and double cream for a lovely Medallion of Bicep dish.

Gary
25-01-2005, 08:45:33
What ? No Chianti ?

The Mad Monk
25-01-2005, 09:00:04
Chianti? In a saute???

MoSe
25-01-2005, 09:33:05
I remember an old PC game back in the '80s...
IIRC it was named Life & Death.
It was in CGA ~graphics~, you were an intern and you had to examine a patient, correctly diagnose him for appendicitis, and ten go thru the appendicectomy surgery.
If you got something wrong, you had to go back to classes and then start over again.
I still remember how it was fun to hear the poor victim scream when you forgot to turn on the gas beforehand...
I think should I be required to perform an appendicectomy in emergency, I'd have some slim chance to not kill the patient thanks to that old game... ;)

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 17:12:58
Kitty got man-fat in her knickers? I'm still going to be shocked if you come back this time next week.

MDA
25-01-2005, 19:44:34
I was a TA for Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy lab in undergrad - mostly cats, with pigeons, dogfish, turtles, and necturus (we called them mudpuppies) to make it "comparative". No humans, though.

Skinning the cats was difficult. Looking at unborn kittens was more difficult (but fascinating at the same time).

Its still one of the most fun jobs I've ever had.
(for $800 a semester, IIRC, and an office in a room full of abnormal human fetuses in jars)

We used to get horribly hungry during dissections. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't something in the preservative (some stuff in formalin, some in phenol/methanol/water)

HelloKitty
25-01-2005, 20:27:55
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
The hell? Were they just giving you latex gloves?

We use nitriles here, and they work well against IPA, toluene, pyradine, methanol, methylene chloride, and a host of other substances. The only thing I'm wary of is acetone, since that can soften and get through the thinner nitriles.

Nitriles work better than latex and that is what I used, but when you are a dissector you spend 20-30 hours a week dissecting. The gloves are not great for long exposures. Plus you have a choice, wear long sleeves that act as a wick and all the fat and juice runs up your arms slowly, or wear scrubs and you will get some of the juice that splashes into your gloves.

After you are done dissecting the rest of the year long class you only came in to study since other people were dissecting. The gloves worked fine then.

HelloKitty
25-01-2005, 20:34:00
Originally posted by MDA
I was a TA for Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy lab in undergrad - mostly cats, with pigeons, dogfish, turtles, and necturus (we called them mudpuppies) to make it "comparative". No humans, though.

Skinning the cats was difficult. Looking at unborn kittens was more difficult (but fascinating at the same time).

Its still one of the most fun jobs I've ever had.
(for $800 a semester, IIRC, and an office in a room full of abnormal human fetuses in jars)

We used to get horribly hungry during dissections. I sometimes wonder if it wasn't something in the preservative (some stuff in formalin, some in phenol/methanol/water)

I took comparative anoatomy too! That class was much less gross and more fun. We did Mudpuppies, Lamprey, Shark, and Cat.

I remember NONE of the structures. ALl I retain fromt hat class is the fact that kitties have muscles on thier thorax and abdomen that we don't that allow them to move thier skin. I poked at my cats for weeks to observe those cool muscles.

MOBIUS
25-01-2005, 23:30:46
Watching part 2 on channel 4 now:)

Japher
25-01-2005, 23:38:09
tape it!

Gary
26-01-2005, 23:45:37
Who didn't remind me it was on tonight !

MOBIUS
26-01-2005, 23:46:54
It was on tonight - just finished actually!:)

Also in a masterpiece of programming, American Psycho is on next...:D

Gary
27-01-2005, 00:01:40
Yes, must have seen just the last 5 minutes. :(

Still, sex tomorrow I hear :)

Channel4.Com has the chat room commmunicating with one of the lecturers at the moment.

MOBIUS
27-01-2005, 23:58:32
Yep, they're doing the sex show right now...

He's just cut up a scrotum and sliced open a penis.:clueless:

Now he's about to dissect the female 'bits'...

Gary
28-01-2005, 00:29:57
So I saw.

Nice live model. Can't really say the same for the dead bits though :)