PDA

View Full Version : Wetherspoon goes Non-smoking

The Shaker
24-01-2005, 19:01:58
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4201053.stm

wooo

One just opened abotu 50 m from me, It is totally non-smoking, and it was great not stinking of fags saturday morning.

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-01-2005, 19:35:32
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If you ban smoking in pubs, you'll stop smelling the fags and start smelling the other drinkers. Damp towels and biscuits.

zmama
24-01-2005, 19:35:49
fags in Ingerland wear a lot of perfume?

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-01-2005, 19:47:27
And usually end up in my mouth, yes.

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-01-2005, 19:55:23
Originally posted by The Shaker

One just opened abotu 50 m from me, It is totally non-smoking, and it was great not stinking of fags saturday morning.

So Friday night isn't bath night?

Provost Harrison
24-01-2005, 23:28:42
It'll be great not to have the horrible smell of cigs whenever I go to the boozer. This is a welcome move :b:

Martini
24-01-2005, 23:33:58
:( that sucks. That is all i have to say on the matter.

MOBIUS
24-01-2005, 23:41:59
Or not - the fag that is...

Provost Harrison
24-01-2005, 23:43:04
I was thinking that but couldn't think of a way to put it without sounding lame. But you succeeded...at being lame ;)

Here to take over the boards then? ;)

MOBIUS
24-01-2005, 23:44:08
Lame is what I do best:)

Nah, not tonight...

Provost Harrison
25-01-2005, 00:12:22
Well I seem to be doing a fairly good job myself.

No, it will be cool to have non-smoking bars. I know the smoking types will whinge about them not being able to 'exercise their rights' but I think I speak for most non-smokers in saying that we don't want to be exposed to all that smoke...

sleeping_satsuma
25-01-2005, 00:19:05
I agree, ban it, and ban it now. Exercising the right to poison others is not a viable right in any sane person's book.

Martini
25-01-2005, 00:20:04
I dont really care about exercising my rights.....even when i didnt smoke, i didnt care aboiut ppl smoking around me. I didnt really notice to be honest.

Provost Harrison
25-01-2005, 00:22:43
But the point is, there are those that do, and would prefer not to be smoked around. It is one of the most antisocial habits there is...

protein
25-01-2005, 00:42:26
I hate going home and realising everything stinks of stale smoke. Your clothes, hair, shoes, skin...

When I was a smoker I didn't realise because I always stank of smoke myself and I guess I must have been used to it.

It's nice to know there's an option for those occasions when my lungs are suffering. I'd quite like to go to a smoke free pub. Esoecially since my mates are either non-smokers or smokers who wish they didn't smoke.

Martini
25-01-2005, 00:44:32
But still.....its kinda unfair not to be able to go to half the pubs because you're not allowed to smoke......surely non-smoking sections are enough?

Im already excluded from Starbucks as it is :(

Asher
25-01-2005, 00:46:37
Toronto has a city-wide ban on bar/pub smoking.

Provost Harrison
25-01-2005, 00:59:15
Originally posted by Martini
But still.....its kinda unfair not to be able to go to half the pubs because you're not allowed to smoke......surely non-smoking sections are enough?

You're not excluded at all...you just can't smoke :p

Spartak
25-01-2005, 02:12:12
Or you can go and stand outside and poison yourself. Personally I think its a great idea. I hate smoking!

Immortal Wombat
25-01-2005, 02:41:31
Don't smoke then!

Spartak
25-01-2005, 03:36:10
HARR HARR HARR

You British with your great sense of humour.

zmama
25-01-2005, 03:48:29
Where?? there are Brits here?? Oh NOOOOO

Spartak
25-01-2005, 03:51:08
Run for you life.

(I can't I'm stuck here at work waiting for the first flight).

zmama
25-01-2005, 03:55:10
I'll just go to bed instead...g'night Spartak and baby Spartaks

Spartak
25-01-2005, 03:56:20
G'night. I'm presuming that all the baby spartaks have been asleep for hours. Mrs Spartak hasn't rung to complain anyway.

Darkstar
25-01-2005, 05:51:04
Actually, places that ban smoking make it easier for smokers to hook up. Just watch the door, and go out when you see someone you want to talk up. Unless you are like in the land of the Great White North, where people just light and smoke the whole thing in one long breath. ;)

simpleton
25-01-2005, 08:14:19
Originally posted by Martini

As PH said, you are not banned, just not allowed to smoke.

If you want to smoke, go to a pub that still allows smoking.

As for the smoker's sections in pubs etc, smoke cannot read or stop itself from spreading.

I'm very pleased with the positive responses to this thread.
Having worked in pubs and clubs for a long time, the thing I always hated the most was stinking of stale smoke and realising that I was inhaling a hell of a lot of second-hand smoke.

Gary
25-01-2005, 08:47:18
You may wish to consider buying shares now, Wetherspoons price dropped yesterday, I'm assuming because of the announcement. Surely has to be a false low ?

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 09:33:20
Even as a non-Smoker I used to be against banning smoking in pubs.

Then I went to Dublin (I happened to be a smoker in Dublin) where they'd already done it.

Now I'm massively in favour of the ban. It was so much more pleasant, even as a smoker. The only other smoker in the party agreed - but I'm sure not all would.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 17:20:24
Originally posted by Gary
You may wish to consider buying shares now, Wetherspoons price dropped yesterday, I'm assuming because of the announcement. Surely has to be a false low ?

Not really. They already issued a profits warning before this announcement, so I wouldn't buy them.

City Gimp.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 17:21:27
Isn't the logical next step to ban drinking in pubs?

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 17:25:00
I'm always confused about this straw man argument thing. Is that one?

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 17:31:00
Not really.

Isn't the whole point of society the fact that our actions and interactions have an effect on others? You can't live without doing stuff that will annoy others.

Drunkeness and drinking are annoying to many, and are often considered a social evil. Why should you inflict your drunkenness and drinking on others, who merely wish to use the pub to drink their Fanta and enjoy a sober game of whist?

I also have a basic problem with passive smoking arguments being used by anyone who uses internal combustion engines- particularly if it's a lovely carcinogenic diesel.

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 17:33:15
Drunkeness, antisocial behaviour and serving someone who's drunk are all already banned.

I don't have a car, but I do use public transport and electricity. :(

I'm not bothered about passive smoking/cancer but non-smoking pubs are just infinitely more pleasant to be in.

MOBIUS
25-01-2005, 17:39:34
Personally although I am a non smoker, I have more of a problem with coming home stinking of fags...

I still think it's a good idea to ban smoking in pubs.:)

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 17:40:34
Unless you're an unashamed smoker, of course.

Now we could have pubs dedicated to the evil weed, where smoking is welcomed and all the staff are themselves smokers who would be free to chain-smoke as they work. No coercion, everyone knows the score, no problem.

But we can't. Because the law doesn't allow for this, as those pubs would probably be distressingly popular and successful.

Nills Lagerbaak
25-01-2005, 17:41:49
Did anyone watch that 30 minute documentary on Channel 4 the other day about the nanny state? Very interesting and certianly raised issues that have been on my mind a lot.

I'm not making a comment on the smoking ban, just on the trends law makers seem to be following in this country.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 17:46:03
Another thing that bothers me is the fact that all smokers get treated like alcoholics or junkies. As if they're wailing victims of their own desperate addictions.

The fact that an awful lot of people smoke, and don't get addicted to it, is being brushed under the carpet. Just because some people can't smoke responsibly doesn't mean all smokers should become the 21st century equivalent of lepers.

Asher
25-01-2005, 17:54:52
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Another thing that bothers me is the fact that all smokers get treated like alcoholics or junkies.
An addict is an addict, no matter if you want to deny it.

Gary
25-01-2005, 18:18:19
But we can't. Because the law doesn't allow for this

Surely the problem would be in calling it a pub ? To my mind that implies the selling and consumption of alcoholic beverage. Anything else sold and consumed is in addition to the main business, and can be legislated for.

If you want an establishment for smoking then maybe you need to open a nicotine den instead. Then those wanting to go out for a drink won't be interested.

smokers get treated like alcoholics or junkies

Well it's still a drug. Appreciate that so are other things such as alcohol, but moderate drinking doesn't tend to adversely affect those nearby. A single smoke tends to. Bound to cause an adverse reaction then, especially if the smoker gets indignant and claims that they're entitled to cover you with their smoke.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 20:10:01
Originally posted by Asher
An addict is an addict, no matter if you want to deny it.

Captain Obvious!

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-01-2005, 20:17:13
But we can't. Because the law doesn't allow for this

Surely the problem would be in calling it a pub ? To my mind that implies the selling and consumption of alcoholic beverage. Anything else sold and consumed is in addition to the main business, and can be legislated for.

If you want an establishment for smoking then maybe you need to open a nicotine den instead. Then those wanting to go out for a drink won't be interested.

smokers get treated like alcoholics or junkies

Well it's still a drug. Appreciate that so are other things such as alcohol, but moderate drinking doesn't tend to adversely affect those nearby. A single smoke tends to. Bound to cause an adverse reaction then, especially if the smoker gets indignant and claims that they're entitled to cover you with their smoke.

Well, a "public house" was historically not principally a drinking house, and nor was an "inn", but that's beside the point. I'd be perfectly happy to see established pubs licensed as smoking houses, just as drinking dens and gambling hell-holes are.

And not all non-smokers are intolerant of smoking in their vicinity. There just seems to be a blanket assumption that they are

protein
25-01-2005, 21:10:49
I'm pretty sure Laz went to sit at another table to have a fag while we were eating curry once - even though we said we didn't mind.

Unfortunately most smokers, well, most people aren't as considerate in this country.

Debaser
25-01-2005, 21:22:42
I think most people appreciate that smoking while other people eat etc isn't on, and would do exactly the same in that situation (and if they don't then they're just rude people full stop).

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 03:06:10
Another thing that bothers me is the fact that all smokers get treated like alcoholics or junkies. As if they're wailing victims of their own desperate addictions.

The fact that an awful lot of people smoke, and don't get addicted to it, is being brushed under the carpet. Just because some people can't smoke responsibly doesn't mean all smokers should become the 21st century equivalent of lepers.

I have seen no evidence that "an awful lot of people smoke, and don't get addicted to it". I've never known a regular tobacco smoker who wasn't hooked.

Do you consider yourself addicted? How much do you smoke? Something tells me you're one of those people who claim they can "quit anytime". Wake up.

Darkstar
26-01-2005, 03:53:38
Go Laz!

How about pipe smokers? I know several. They have the occasional pipe full. They don't do it much, so it isn't like a smoker getting their nic fix every 2 or 4 hours.

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 09:27:26
Unless you're an unashamed smoker, of course.

Now we could have pubs dedicated to the evil weed, where smoking is welcomed and all the staff are themselves smokers who would be free to chain-smoke as they work. No coercion, everyone knows the score, no problem.

But we can't. Because the law doesn't allow for this, as those pubs would probably be distressingly popular and successful.

It does actually. Smoking is only going to be banned in pubs that serve prepared food and restaurants. ie. Your local will stop doing cheese rolls but still do the pork scratchings and otherwise be identical.

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 09:28:07
And nicotine is way more addictive than any drug I've ever taken.

Scabrous Birdseed
26-01-2005, 09:31:51
But is it more addictive than sheep?

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 09:37:19
Yes.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
26-01-2005, 09:42:11
I'm all for pubs that decide themselves whether they allow or ban smoking, and let the market decide. All those whining about smoke (and they have to be a huge market, judging from the noise) have the chance to put their money where their whine is.

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 09:44:50
You capitalist pig.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
26-01-2005, 09:50:31
Yaaaay!!!

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 09:55:10
:bash:

I'm kinda torn on this smoking issue (like I was with the Hunting thing). The liberal part of me agrees with Dyl and Laz - this shouldn't be something the government can legislate on - but personally the smoke free pubs are so much nicer and it's not happening naturally.

Scabrous Birdseed
26-01-2005, 10:17:43
It has here. It's about buidling up an image of smoking being bad - you could start by banning it all over the public sector, and soon it'll be stigmatised in most polite company.

Gary
26-01-2005, 10:40:10
Those who don't want the smoke will still find it hard to tell friends who are addicted to the habit that they have to go to a non-smoking pub. So if the market is left to decide, then non-smokers will be in much the same boat, and those wanting no ban using this as a false indication that non-smokers don't want a ban.

Not saying it can't happen the other way around, but in my experience the smoking friend puts on a big smile and says "you don't mind..." and it's difficult to tell the truth and say, "Yes of course I damn well mind". Sometimes the market doesn't work out since it didn't evolve to cater for everything. It should not always be the final arbiter.

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 10:43:27
Anyway JDW going smoke free - before any ban - is maybe the first step towards that.

Gary
26-01-2005, 11:05:56
That's true. Interesting that their pubs vary so much though. I know one or two that may just be deserted when that starts. Unless they change the decor and go for something a little less "spit & sawdust".

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 11:11:22
I think it's interesting how the clientele varies despite the actual pubs being so identical.

In Reading we have 3 - the Prudential workers one, the old smoking alcoholics one, and the borderline underage kids one.

Provost Harrison
26-01-2005, 11:28:33
Those who don't want the smoke will still find it hard to tell friends who are addicted to the habit that they have to go to a non-smoking pub. So if the market is left to decide, then non-smokers will be in much the same boat, and those wanting no ban using this as a false indication that non-smokers don't want a ban.

Not saying it can't happen the other way around, but in my experience the smoking friend puts on a big smile and says "you don't mind..." and it's difficult to tell the truth and say, "Yes of course I damn well mind". Sometimes the market doesn't work out since it didn't evolve to cater for everything. It should not always be the final arbiter.

No problem here...I damn well mind and don't mind saying it ;)

*End Is Forever*
26-01-2005, 11:50:03
Throughout their existance Wetherspoon have made a habit of doing things that their competitors have decried as unfeasible, financially unviable, or commercially stupid - and they've pretty much been proved right every time.

Let's hope this continues the trend.

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 11:52:21
Personally I think the reason is "despite all the shit things we do the beer's cheap so it doesn't matter"

Spartak
26-01-2005, 11:53:53
Which one do you go to?

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 12:04:24
None of them. We used to go to the borderline underage kids one when we were.

Gary
26-01-2005, 12:16:18
Oh the pubs are not always identical. I've been to some Wetherspoons with soft furnishings, and others that look more like a work's canteen with a bar. Maybe they have some similarity in a particular area.

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 12:17:42
Not always identical but they try hard to homogenise them.

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 15:34:32
Originally posted by Funkodrom
:bash:

I'm kinda torn on this smoking issue (like I was with the Hunting thing). The liberal part of me agrees with Dyl and Laz - this shouldn't be something the government can legislate on - but personally the smoke free pubs are so much nicer and it's not happening naturally.

I feel the same way. Here in NYC they banned smoking in all bars and restaurants a couple of years ago, and while it is nice to be able to go out without coming home stinking of cig smoke I think ideally this sort of thing should be left up to the individual businesses to decide.

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-01-2005, 17:19:03
Originally posted by Caligastia
I have seen no evidence that "an awful lot of people smoke, and don't get addicted to it". I've never known a regular tobacco smoker who wasn't hooked.

It's the "social smoker" phenomenon, and there's millions of them.

Do you consider yourself addicted?

It's a straight statement of fact that I'm not.

How much do you smoke?

I had one about a fortnight ago. About five on New Year's day. Perhaps another ten between December 21st and Christmas. If pushed, I'd say I average about two cigarettes a week, with intervals of a month or so where I smoke none at all. With absolutely no withdrawal symptoms, I might add.

Something tells me you're one of those people who claim they can "quit anytime". Wake up.

I'm wide awake, Tiger. It's called "responsible smoking", and it's like "responsible drinking".

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-01-2005, 17:22:58
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
Throughout their existance Wetherspoon have made a habit of doing things that their competitors have decried as unfeasible, financially unviable, or commercially stupid - and they've pretty much been proved right every time.

Which is why they've issued a profits warning?

Their key market is students and pensioners- the biggest smoker groups. They know they're taking a rest by converting early.

Debaser
26-01-2005, 17:24:09
I had one about a fortnight ago. About five on New Year's day. Perhaps another ten between December 21st and Christmas. If pushed, I'd say I average about two cigarettes a week, with intervals of a month or so where I smoke none at all. With absolutely no withdrawal symptoms, I might add.

I don't really see the point of smoking like that (unless you smoke masses of weed or something inbetween). Smoking isn't particularly pleasurable or relaxing in itself.

That said, I smoke, and I like smoking, and have no intention or desire to give up any time soon particularly.

Gary
26-01-2005, 17:37:51
:D :D :D "Social Smoking" :lol:

Any relation to "Social Mugging" :) or Social Knee in the Groin" :D

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 17:46:34
It's the "social smoker" phenomenon, and there's millions of them.

Would you say there are more social smokers than addicted smokers? No doubt you've met quite a few social smokers, but in my experience those who claim to only smoke socially always end up getting addicted.

Debaser
26-01-2005, 17:49:36
Either that or they're people who used to properly smoke and have never quite managed to fully give up.

fp
26-01-2005, 17:49:43
Of course it's possible to be a social smoking. I know plenty of people who smoke 3 or 4 cigs on Friday nights and never feel the urge to touch them at any other time.

fp
26-01-2005, 17:51:20
I don't see why they do it, though, for the reasons Debaser just said, but people like the certainly exist.

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 17:51:42
Originally posted by fp
Of course it's possible to be a social smoking. I know plenty of people who smoke 3 or 4 cigs on Friday nights and never feel the urge to touch them at any other time.

...that you know of. It's only matter of time before they start sneaking a couple in during the week.

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 17:53:05
Originally posted by Debaser
Either that or they're people who used to properly smoke and have never quite managed to fully give up.

Could be...one of them loved chewing tobacco and ended up satisfying his addiction to that by smoking.

Debaser
26-01-2005, 17:55:58
Not necessarily, a big part of smoking is the routine or habbit. KG's smoked at the weekends for pretty much as long as I've known him (10yrs-ish?), but I don't think he's ever really been a proper "full time" smoker.

EDIT: This was a reply to your previous post..

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 17:57:08
Has he ever tried going without for a weekend? How do you know he doesn't have any during the week?

Debaser
26-01-2005, 17:59:06
Because he says he doesn't and I believe him. And I'm sure he's gone without during a weekend many many times.

Human will power is easily as strong as any kind of mild addiction.

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 18:04:29
I'm sure there are people who can control their tobacco use, but they are a minority of smokers I reckon.

Debaser
26-01-2005, 18:16:24
Oh sure, I'm not arguing with you, but I think useing phrases like "can control their tobacco use" are a bit over the top. Smoking is as much a mental addiction as it is a physical addiction. Most people who give up say that after the first week or so of not smoking it's the little things like not having a cigarette when you have a cup of coffee, when before you always did that really get to you.

But if you're strong mentally, and you really don't want to smoke then cigarettes don't just appear in your mouth. It's an easy thing to keep on top of. I've smoked about 5 or 6 a day for about 10 years (more when I go out/get drunk), it's never spiralled out of control horribly. It's stopping when previously you've smoked loads that's difficult.

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 18:20:45
Smoking 5 or 6 a day...that's not really "social smoking" anymore is it?:D Are you kidding yourself that you could stop anytime?

Debaser
26-01-2005, 18:22:57
I never said I was a social smoker, I just said that it is possible to be.

Caligastia
26-01-2005, 18:33:36
I agree.

As for staying in control of your smoking I can only go by my experience of others - which indicates that it isn't particularly easy to do.

Japher
26-01-2005, 18:36:20
I quit about 6 months ago.

After the first month I never craved one again. Even when I would normally chain smoke, like when I'm on the phone or drinking. I don't think I will ever smoke again, it feels great.

Debaser
26-01-2005, 18:44:40
Nobody likes a quitter.

Japher
26-01-2005, 18:46:19
But I can't quit quitting!!!!!!

A friend of mine has a "Rehab is for Quitters" shirt

sleeping_satsuma
26-01-2005, 20:54:07

Laz, read it back, you are usually a rational and horribly intelligent man, but you're coming on like Renton after he drops his pessary, just to justify your position. That's why smokers get treated like junkies :)

Japher
26-01-2005, 20:55:36
What are you talking about?

Smoking makes you kewl.

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-01-2005, 20:56:29
Heroin is another example. Why should heroin users be persecuted simply because some are irresponsible?

sleeping_satsuma
26-01-2005, 21:19:57
because they approach you in the street and ask for 50p for a coffee* and then proceed to follow you indefinitely like a piece of toiletpaper thats stuck to your shoes asking for 50p.

*a needle full of smack

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-01-2005, 21:24:32
You must avert their presence with the sacred magic words- "Fuck off".

sleeping_satsuma
26-01-2005, 21:45:37
thats not very nice. I would like to gas them all though

:)

Darkstar
27-01-2005, 02:43:26
When I go out at work for lunch, or just go out with friends, and we have to choose which to go to (smoking or not), we choose whatever the majority of the group is. Smoking or not. It's not a big deal.

There are tons of pub smokers. They go out, get a good buzz on, and light up cause their friends are. Or that cute thing they are chatting up is. They smoke for the rest of the night. In the morning, they aren't smoking. Won't smoke again until they go pubbing or sit down for an evening of drinking with friends.

Smoking is good for alcohol sales. You can drink more alcohol if you are smoking. And smoking makes coffee a fantastic experience. Coffee just isn't the same without it. :(

zmama
27-01-2005, 03:09:39
You just need to drink better coffee :)

Darkstar
27-01-2005, 03:12:56
Suggestions are welcome on better coffee. :D

Funkodrom
27-01-2005, 09:51:44
Originally posted by Debaser
Not necessarily, a big part of smoking is the routine or habbit. KG's smoked at the weekends for pretty much as long as I've known him (10yrs-ish?), but I don't think he's ever really been a proper "full time" smoker.

EDIT: This was a reply to your previous post..

He stopped smoking at weekends ages ago didn't he? I don't recall seeing him smoking for ages.

Debaser
27-01-2005, 10:50:29
Ha! That makes my arguement even better!

Rodgers
27-01-2005, 11:49:56
Not sure what the question of "is smoking necessarliy addictive?" has to do with whether banning it in pubs is a good idea or not :confused:

I'm happy with the ban - it isnt a blanket one so smokers will still have plenty of places to go to for a pint and a fag and non-smokers will have more options if they want to avoid the stink.

The "trendiest" place in town here (ie where the suits hang out after work before driving home in their Audi TTs) went "smoke free" about 6 months ago (way bfore a Govt ban was announced). I walk past it most days and it seems as busy as ever. I doubt the market could "naturally" provide more than a few such places but it was nice to see it happening.

BTW - I'm an ex-smoker who has just about stopped the "social smoking" bit too. I dont mind stinknig of smoke after a heavy night out but do get pissed off if I've gone in for maybe one or two at lunch or something and end up having to get my bloody suit dry cleaned (makes my 2 drinks cost 15 instead of 4).

King_Ghidra
27-01-2005, 12:18:41
Has he ever tried going without for a weekend? How do you know he doesn't have any during the week?

sorry cal, but you're full of it on this one

i used to smoke a packet over a weekend and then not have even one during the week. the only time i smoked at all was if i was out for a drink. if i didn't go out, i didn't smoke, period.

in the last six months i don't think i even had any cigarettes on the weekend, although i was still smoking a few j's now and then.

my gf is pretty much the same, she smokes every time we go out, but she never ever has one at work or at home, and ditto, if she doesn't go out midweek, no smoking

Caligastia
27-01-2005, 18:58:08
Originally posted by Rodgers
Not sure what the question of "is smoking necessarliy addictive?" has to do with whether banning it in pubs is a good idea or not :confused:

I'm happy with the ban - it isnt a blanket one so smokers will still have plenty of places to go to for a pint and a fag and non-smokers will have more options if they want to avoid the stink.

The "trendiest" place in town here (ie where the suits hang out after work before driving home in their Audi TTs) went "smoke free" about 6 months ago (way bfore a Govt ban was announced). I walk past it most days and it seems as busy as ever. I doubt the market could "naturally" provide more than a few such places but it was nice to see it happening.

BTW - I'm an ex-smoker who has just about stopped the "social smoking" bit too. I dont mind stinknig of smoke after a heavy night out but do get pissed off if I've gone in for maybe one or two at lunch or something and end up having to get my bloody suit dry cleaned (makes my 2 drinks cost 15 instead of 4).

Four quid?? The prices have doubled in the last 10 years!

Caligastia
27-01-2005, 19:02:03
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
sorry cal, but you're full of it on this one

How am I full of it? I was only asking questions - I never said you were doing anything other than being a social smoker.

i used to smoke a packet over a weekend and then not have even one during the week. the only time i smoked at all was if i was out for a drink. if i didn't go out, i didn't smoke, period.

in the last six months i don't think i even had any cigarettes on the weekend, although i was still smoking a few j's now and then.

my gf is pretty much the same, she smokes every time we go out, but she never ever has one at work or at home, and ditto, if she doesn't go out midweek, no smoking

Fair enough, I guess you and Laz must be blessed with good self-control in this regard.

Funkodrom
28-01-2005, 09:08:50
Four quid?? The prices have doubled in the last 10 years!

Nah, beers weren't a pound each 10 years ago. In Reading a pint of strong lager has probably gone up from 1.80 to 2.50 in that time.

Cheaper up north were Rodgers is.

Spartak
28-01-2005, 09:16:28
Its closer to 20 years ago that beer was less than a quid a pint.

King_Ghidra
28-01-2005, 09:22:12

How am I full of it? I was only asking questions - I never said you were doing anything other than being a social smoker.

Not true - your questions were rhetorical, you implied all along that it was impossible to be a casual smoker.

And Funko, it was roughly 7-8 years ago that you could get a pint of scotch bitter for 99p from the Monk's Retreat and other wetherspoons pubs.

The Mad Monk
28-01-2005, 09:23:16
Originally posted by Darkstar
Suggestions are welcome on better coffee. :D

See if you can find Eight O'Clock 100% Columbian Whole Bean. It's great, especially considering the price.

Funkodrom
28-01-2005, 09:24:49
Not true - your questions were rhetorical, you implied all along that it was impossible to be a casual smoker.

And Funko, it was roughly 7-8 years ago that you could get a pint of scotch bitter for 99p from the Monk's Retreat and other wetherspoons pubs.

(at one point 69p!) Yeah, and you can still get ales for 1.50 from them - so a similar price increase in percentage terms.

I couldn't list every price of every drink in every pub or every promotion so I went for a reasonable average.

BigGameHunter
28-01-2005, 10:11:56
I'm hopelessly addictied to cigarrettes and I'm starting to hate that.
I've abused just about every drug in the world and walked away...have never had a problem saying no...but butts are a horrible failing of mine.
Anyone with sure fire cessation tips can feel free to lecture me. I'm thinking being chained to a tree in the forest and having my lips stapled shut for a couple of months might do the trick.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-01-2005, 10:19:30
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
butts are a horrible failing of mine

:brwncard:

BigGameHunter
28-01-2005, 10:30:52
Yes, it's true...I've failed horribly in the butt department. I can but envy and live vicariously the good Dr. Stinkfinger, aka K_G.

zmama
28-01-2005, 16:00:43
I've abused just about every drug in the world and walked away...have never had a problem saying no...but butts are a horrible failing of mine.
Anyone with sure fire cessation tips can feel free to lecture me. I'm thinking being chained to a tree in the forest and having my lips stapled shut for a couple of months might do the trick.

:( yeah its very very hard. I was just as addicted.

I'm afraid my surefire cessation tip wouldn't work for you. I got pregnant and the smell of smoke made me vomit.
But even then I started up again after my first was born...it took two pregnancies to make me stop for good.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
28-01-2005, 16:04:07
I found that gradual reduction doesn't work. The nicotine addiction was the easiest part, the nervous habit the most difficult. If you have a lot of stress, it's much harder. Look for a time where your cigarette triggers are rare.

Funkodrom
28-01-2005, 16:19:05
Interesting I found that gradual reduction makes the initial shock of stopping slightly easier and I could always find something that'd be stressful so I could delay giving up for a bit. :D

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-01-2005, 17:26:03
Can't help on that, as I've never suffered any withdrawal symptoms.

Funkodrom
28-01-2005, 17:26:32
Lucky bastard.

Funkodrom
28-01-2005, 17:26:56
Maybe you're naturally so tetchy it has limited impact? :D

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-01-2005, 17:38:15
That's a possibility, you fuck.

Caligastia
28-01-2005, 17:39:08
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Nah, beers weren't a pound each 10 years ago. In Reading a pint of strong lager has probably gone up from 1.80 to 2.50 in that time.

Erm...if you double 2 quid that makes 4 quid doesn't it?

sleeping_satsuma
28-01-2005, 17:40:09

hmmm... two possible answers:

have you tried reading that allen carr book?

or

want to abuse my butt instead? ;)

Caligastia
28-01-2005, 17:40:31

Then I must have been implying that whilst explicitly agreeing that it's possible.:p

sleeping_satsuma
28-01-2005, 17:42:18
Can't help on that, as I've never suffered any withdrawal symptoms.

I didnt either, but I was down to about two a day as I had started to hate it so much. I just went cold turkey. I still have a couple on NYE or special occasions which usually reminds me how much I hate so I stay stopped for another year :)

Oerdin
28-01-2005, 17:47:14
Originally posted by Spartak
Its closer to 20 years ago that beer was less than a quid a pint.

Hell, you can still find beer for a $1 a pint in most bars in the US though for that price you get a lower quality domestic. A better quality beer will run you $2 to $3.

zmama
28-01-2005, 18:29:54
Was very tough passing the local brewpub last night...a sign out advertising $1 pints (of their own brews, good stuff). But it was sooo damn cold I just wanted to get home and have a hot cup of tea.