PDA

View Full Version : Müf review

Funkodrom
24-01-2005, 17:26:47
http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2005/01/24/cuckooclub_review_feature.shtml

Tizzy
24-01-2005, 17:29:14
Good "ooh, what do these notes do" picture :)

jsorense
24-01-2005, 17:32:29
WTF, was he talking you Sparky?

fp
24-01-2005, 17:48:29
cool review.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
24-01-2005, 18:32:18
"Müf, pronounced like Inspector Clouseau would say it"

Inspektor Derrisch, rather!

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 08:59:38
Apparently she's Dutch! Or at least of Dutch origin and speaks Dutch. Explains a lot.

miester gandertak
25-01-2005, 09:01:44
muf she meant?

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 09:07:39
She said she'd never heard of that word, so she said it must be really obscure - maybe her dutch isn't that good.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
25-01-2005, 09:07:41
Muffensausen.

King_Ghidra
25-01-2005, 09:12:23
Muf were pretty good. You can see things are at an early stage, i found there wasn't much of a vibe or feeling about the performance, that is, the music veered from one kind of thing to another and it would be hard to go away and say, 'yeah muf, they're like #'. I preferred the heavier stoner rock type songs to the slower stuff.

The sand creek guys are a cooper temple clause covers band and although i thought they would be easy to hate they played their stuff very well. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth though.

Rebus have grown on me quite a lot. A couple of their songs would definitely get repeat plays chez K_G.

Off the radar are overrated.

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 09:23:41
That's very true. (about Müf). So far we've written 6 songs (one's not finished quite) but none are the same. And we definitely just played the songs rather than really performed them. Of those one I'm not happy with yet (the middle one). It doesn't quite work somehow, kind of meanders. And three I really like - the last one, Schmindie (which generally went down the best - on the balance of feedback) and We Could be Friends. We're going to write more soon hopefully in time for the next gig at least.

I thought the Sandcreek Massacre sounded a lot more like The Verve or Oasis or something of that ilk than the Cooper Temple Clause. No really heavy guitars or synth work, which is what distinguishes TCTC for me - I laughed when Debaser put the Coopers on after their set because I thought it was a haircut comment not a musical one. They did have a hairdryer with them though!

Rebus have moved from being a good enjoyable local band to a really good band with the songs, image and quality of sound to move up to the level above the normal 'unsigned' level. We'll see how it goes. Personally I think they have a similar enough vibe to get caught up in the inevitable rise of bands in the wake of Bloc Party's almost inevitable dominance of this year as well.

Off the Radar I don't think played their best on Thursday. I quite like them normally, certainly a step above a lot of local bands but they didn't seem to have the spark they normally do yesterday. My favourite thing about them is that after a drunken conversation saying they should play some gigs in New York they actually arranged it - went down really well - and now have some limited US distribution for their new album.

Tizzy
25-01-2005, 09:26:35
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
hard to go away and say, 'yeah muf, they're like #'.

Yeah, I was having that problem yesterday trying to describe the music to people. I ended up with just "yeah, it's good, I like it" :)

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 09:28:57
Personally I think that's a good thing. If people can pigeonhole you in 5 words it's bad.

Resource Consumer
25-01-2005, 10:41:01
Sand Creek sound like Myslovitz

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 10:43:12
So where are your comments Mr Consumer?

Resource Consumer
25-01-2005, 11:00:54
Sorry, was behind the times this week.

I rather liked MÜF and certainly would go and see them again. There was plenty of variety in the music but that then can give the impression of having a lack of focus (I know, I know - it is damned if you do and damned if you don't). Generally, it is a more mainstream sound than Sonic Undermind.

My one major suggestion is the one that I made on the night. Sometimes, Alex needs helping out with the singing. Not that he is a bad singer or anything but his voice is not distinctive enough and does not seem to carry so much dynamic. A bit of extra shouting (in the right places) from you others would certainly add another dimension and more light/shade to the sound.

Debaser
25-01-2005, 12:18:08
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I laughed when Debaser put the Coopers on after their set because I thought it was a haircut comment not a musical one. They did have a hairdryer with them though!

Wasn't me I'm afraid, though I'd have liked it to be.

And that hairdryer comment was made up by someone on Berkshire Live, and infact isn't true at all as far as I know.

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 12:23:55
No, it is true. During the Rebus soundcheck Iain (our drummer) went to get his drum sticks to warm up with. The Sandcreek boys were sorting their equipment out for their soundcheck and Iain came back and said "Why have the Sandcreek Massacre got a hairdryer?" 'cause he'd just seen them with it.

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 12:24:55
And then I told everyone I could find about it but after I told about 5 people word had got round and everyone already knew.

Drekkus
25-01-2005, 12:26:21
Schmindy! :lol:

Please tell me the lyrics are 'Mindy Schmindy!"

Funkodrom
25-01-2005, 12:27:21
I know even fewer of our lyrics than our singer. ;)

Provost Harrison
25-01-2005, 12:34:28
Yeah, whatever Keith said ;)