PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen house of flying daggers?

sleeping_satsuma
07-01-2005, 22:08:03
is it any good? It looked fantastic in the trailer. Is it related to crouching tiger in a sequel way, or is it just the same director or something?

Tau Ceti
07-01-2005, 23:29:14
Neither, actually; it is made by the team behind Hero. It is pretty good; not as beautiful as Hero but similar in many ways.

Nills Lagerbaak
10-01-2005, 05:50:23
Yeah, I saw this the other day. I really enjoyed it actually. A good old fashioned love/betrayal story with lots of action.

I prefered it to Hero, cos I didn't really like Hero. Far too much wanky "arty" shots. I liked it to over eating a very rich meal. A few minutes of it would have been ace, but not hours of it.

Kitsuki
14-01-2005, 15:57:49
Saw it last night - visually amazing, and the plot was great, though the end was a tad of a dissappointment...

What is it with all the long navel-gazing shots? Chinese audiences must have a much better attention span than us Westerners...

sleeping_satsuma
15-01-2005, 01:54:11
they have better chopsticks, thats for sure

Mr. Bas
17-01-2005, 11:09:04
I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard very good stories about it. I might check it out in the near future...

Eklektikos
17-01-2005, 14:06:22
Looks gorgeous but lacks any real depth.

sleeping_satsuma
24-01-2005, 13:47:24
like Caprice

The Shaker
24-01-2005, 18:54:43
Film : Summary

STAY DEAD FOR FUCKS SAKE

RedFred
06-02-2005, 07:28:06
WARNING: Contents include spoiler.

:mad:

Whomever said that this movie was good was WRONG. VERY, VERY WRONG.

Face it - the plot sucked big time to the point where it didn't make a lot of sense. It started off with promise but it was all steeply downhill after the drum scene.

Most of the audience was laughing - not in a kind way - when the dude with the knife in the back was told to leave it there to be more convincing in his 'mole' role.

The whole movie was a build up to the confrontation between the Flying dagger types and the army. A confrontation that was never realized.

Crouching Tiger was full of beautifully shot, almost poetic fight scenes. Whereas this piece of crap was filled with endless pointless violence and death. The pitiful ending scene where all the key characters kill each other off was so lame.

Infantile. Don't go see it. Believe me. 0 out of 5 stars. 5 out of 5 vomits.

:bash: :shoot: :gasmaske:

RedFred
06-02-2005, 15:32:56
Bah! The morning after I saw the movie and I am still bugged by how bad it was. Spongebob Squarepants was better entertainment for your movie dollar than House of the Flying Excrement.
:(

Rodgers
07-02-2005, 12:13:59
I'd agree - dull dull dull!

MoSe
09-02-2005, 14:27:58
Originally posted by sleeping_satsuma
It looked fantastic in the trailer

exactly

you don't expect credibility in such movies, but frankly at points this was on the verge of ridicule.
And I don't care about aflight fighting, which you have to take as it is (and I agree it's not overdone here).
It's the plot that gets more and more thin and inconsistent, and above all some of the dialogues and motives of the characters.
I didn't like Hero *that* much...
This had just "a few" visual moments that I preferred better.
The fight in the bamboo forest I found it rather "magical"...
And I actually found the final fight one of the best conceived and filmed parts of the movie... :cute: for how absurd are the circumstances leading to it (handy place where to keep your knife at hand :lol: )
___
I was forgetting the conclusions ;)
If you don't expect too much (which alas is the opposite the effective trailer brings you to) and are prepared to bear with a few ridicule and absurd moments, there are others which are definitely enjoyable and worth seeing, if you like the genre.
Nevertheless, a below average work, all in all.
5.5 / 10 on my rating card.

PS: just to make it clear tho, this is absolutely nowhere relating with the depth and complexity and poetry and characters of Crouchin Tiger...

paiktis22
10-02-2005, 17:26:48
I heard it doesn't have enough fight scences. It's all love and stuff. Imagine watching a Bruce Lee movie and seeing him flirt all the time. Balls busting.

MoSe
11-02-2005, 10:05:35
greek skewered balls

Darkstar
11-02-2005, 22:18:39
All love and stuff, with costumes and exotic locations? Sounds like my GF would love it. When's the DVD going on sale?