PDA

View Full Version : Time Limited Software?

Resource Consumer
07-01-2005, 09:43:21
Hi Geekoids,

Can I run something past you?

My girlfriend will get access to a GIS program that she needs to use for her work. Unfortunately, as it is damned expensive, we will only be able to use a three month time limited version (although it is otherwise fully fnctional).

This will be provided on CD so nothing can get written to the source installer there.

Now, I propose that, just before expiry of the trial period we

(a) copy work files to CD
(b) uninstall the program
(c) delete the (assumed by me) entry in the registry

Then it should be OK to install again.

My questions :

(a) does it sound like this will work or am I being naive?
(b) whereabouts in the registry do I need to look for this sort of thing?

Many thanks for all advice.

Sir Penguin
07-01-2005, 10:09:18
It totally depends on how the program keeps track of how much time has elapsed. It could be as easy as setting the computer's clock back. Probably not though.

SP

Spartak
07-01-2005, 10:33:53
Alternatively you could download a cracked version of the programme.

Beta1
07-01-2005, 11:08:40
whats GIS software?

Resource Consumer
07-01-2005, 11:38:31
Thanks guys

"Geographic Information System" - sort of mapping as far as I understand.

King_Ghidra
07-01-2005, 11:38:38
Gay Internet Search

Gary
07-01-2005, 13:08:36
How many gay internets have you found :D

Not wishing to condone this sort of thing, but couldn't you do a dump of the PC system using one of those back-up apps, and restore it 3 months later ?

Darkstar
07-01-2005, 22:33:24
There is usually some registry entries or some files stored in Windows (or its subdirectories). And that is how they keep people from doing exactly what RC is talking about.

You can try it RC, but don't be surprised that on a reinstall, it spots that it was there already. If that happens, you'll have to really go digging if you want to crack the program yourself. Or rebuild the box. Or get a cracked version. Or pay for it.

Cumber
09-01-2005, 13:44:12
There is an ever waging war between people wanting to use trial software after its expiry date, and companies trying to stop people from doing that. The top of both groups has gotten very clever. I can't help much I'm afriad, except to say that if I was in the position of the company, with what (little) I know about how to be a sneaky bastard with windows, I'd be putting multiple entires in the registry with nothing to obviously identify them as being related to the progam. Or even to obviously identify them as storing date information. Encryption is a wonderful thing.

Sir Penguin
09-01-2005, 22:26:16
Yep, all they need to store is the integer format, and to find that you need to be accurate within the second.

But yes, you can back up your registry and restore it afterwards, if you don't install any other programs and if the time-limited software doesn't use files. I guess you can audit your filesystem before the install and after to check for strange new files, but by the time you get into doing that sort of thing, it would probably be cheaper just to buy the damned software.

SP

Darkstar
10-01-2005, 08:29:09
Well, it depends. A lot of the beggarware stuff tries to charge you outrageous sums. I don't think beggarware should ever ask more then $40, and that is if it is professional level. A lot of the mapping, art, graphic, and photo packages, however, charge hundreds if not thousands. And aren't that good to begin with. That sort of thing, I can understand why people say "fuck you".

What I really don't understand, is that if RC's ladyfriend really needs this program for work, why work isn't paying for it?

Gary
10-01-2005, 09:46:13
I just assumed that she was self employed. And the tax break didn't make sufficient difference.

Not come across the term "beggarware" before. What's the definition ? Agreed that some commercial stuff costs outrageous sums for what is fairly crap applications though. Unbelievable some of the stuff I've had to use that my employers have paid loads for. Looked like it had been slung together by some post grad over the weekend. Money is made in the ability to convince others to buy, not in the ability to make a good product, which is probably why everything is to time and cost these days.

Darkstar
10-01-2005, 10:20:36
Tax break? Hadn't thought of that. Just that even as a contractor, if she needs it to get the job done, the cost ultimately comes out of what the employer is being charged. Just a matter of labels.

Beggarware is my term for most shareware that asks too much for what it does/its qualit. Most are shit programs, which further insult you by pestering you to buy them. Good quality shareware that I find useful (or fun, in the case of games), I buy. Whether its $5 for a simple game, or $120 for a serious professional application for developers or whatever.

I've seen the term 'beggarware' used to refer to serious nagware, AIR. But that is just nagware to me. That is a marketing decision by the author(s) to remind and nag the prospective customer that they are still trying out the app, and haven't paid for it. I personally think nagging is slightly counter-productive, as I think it's more likely that people will just go find a cracked version if you nag them to often, but obviously others think differently.

miester gandertak
21-01-2005, 10:26:48
or run the program : Microbest Cracklockloader 1.0

Resource Consumer
25-01-2005, 16:34:38
Thanks guys. She hasn't got a job yet but she needs to up her familiarity with a more modern piece of software than she is used to. Trpuble is a year's licence costs about 1500. :( She can get a three month version, though, which may be long enough for her to do what she wants although, as you say, if it becomes a serious enough issue to have at home then we crank that into the rate base.

TV4Fun
25-01-2005, 19:53:43
I'm sure you can find a crack for it. Look on shareazaa. 1500 is really a ridiculous price to pay for any software. How much money can it possibly have cost them to develop it?

Sir Penguin
25-01-2005, 19:55:56
They probably just don't want too many customers.

SP

Nav
26-01-2005, 11:43:19
Just buy a new 500 computer from dell every three months....

King_Ghidra
26-01-2005, 11:53:19
Originally posted by TV4Fun
I'm sure you can find a crack for it. Look on shareazaa. 1500 is really a ridiculous price to pay for any software. How much money can it possibly have cost them to develop it?

good god how naive

development time for one guy for one week could run to 1500, never mind a proper piece of software developed and tested by teams of people, which is likely to have cost in the hundreds of thousands development-wise

(btw i think you should just download a crack for it rc, but i just wanted to point out what a silly comment this was)

Funkodrom
26-01-2005, 12:03:00
That's possibly more like one guy for 2 days if you're contracting.

Vincent
26-01-2005, 12:19:23
I guess 1000 EUR/day is kinda normal

Gary
26-01-2005, 13:09:17
But spread the cost out between the number of sales should be able to make (if the price is right) and one wonders how much can be attributed to covering development.

Perhaps the price should drop after they've sold their 300th unit :)

Darkstar
26-01-2005, 23:14:09
Well, it really depends on who you have to pay licensing fees to, how big your team is, labor laws where you work, etc.

2 guys sitting around in one of their parent's basement, don't have much cost. A team of 10 people that work for a major software developer, can cost a lot. There's the management chain, HR, Payroll, IT, Security, benefits, day care, dog groomer, masseur, training in Vegas, monthly trip to the whore house, wind surf equipment rental, quaterly ski trip to the Mount Sugarloaf, etc etc etc.

Ask Asher about what's provided to him at IBM. All that comes out of customers... from products and services sold to them by IBM.

Ash might be making, say, $100 a day take home. But the support structure behind him will shoot that cost up of him sitting around and doing nothing at work to much, much more.

(BTW, I haven't a clue to what he actually makes. I just pulled that number out of the thick air around Venom.)

Asher
27-01-2005, 06:00:05
IBM has license for just about any software you can think of -- there's a huge database on the intranet. You do have to get your manager's approval for some really expensive apps, but we've got a corporate/site license for just about everything. And if we don't, you submit a request and within a few years, it's eventually approved. ;)

TV4Fun
29-01-2005, 05:36:33
development time for one guy for one week could run to 1500I really must find out where these people get their jobs.

Gary
29-01-2005, 11:09:28
< 80k a year for a freelance professional software developer ?

If you have the confidence to go contracting that can't be that unusual. Especially since they're unlikely to be working all 52 weeks of the year.

Vincent
29-01-2005, 11:41:39
Originally posted by TV4Fun
I really must find out where these people get their jobs. It's not the cost for the developer. You need to pay for the office, hardware, license for the developing tools, the secretary, the manager, taxes, blah blah blah etc. And you have to pay for the times the developer is not working. If his computer is down or he gets sick or is on holiday you will still have to pay for all the stuff above.

Vincent
29-01-2005, 11:43:12
And guess what! The developers won't even clean the toilets! You have to find someone else. Usually it's someone like C@H, a guy with a long tongue

zmama
29-01-2005, 16:55:16
C@H is such a talented boy :)

Darkstar
31-01-2005, 21:09:10
Does C@H get bonus pay for that? Or just extra days off?

TV4Fun
01-02-2005, 20:05:46
Originally posted by Vincent
It's not the cost for the developer. You need to pay for the office, hardware, license for the developing tools, the secretary, the manager, taxes, blah blah blah etc. And you have to pay for the times the developer is not working. If his computer is down or he gets sick or is on holiday you will still have to pay for all the stuff above. You need to have all that for just one guy?

Darkstar
01-02-2005, 21:33:30
Yeppers. If you are a company.