PDA

View Full Version : Wha Ha Ha SIMS

Gary
06-01-2005, 17:08:31
Not a game that really takes my fancy, at least for long, but this Register article made me smile :) (http://www.theregister.com/2005/01/06/sims_2_hacks_spread_like_viruses/)

No doubt someone's already posted info on this "bug" here somewhere.

Gary
06-01-2005, 17:10:57
nothing keeping a new and uncommonly twisted breed of malware writer from taking the stage, producing viruses that spread through the exchange to corrupt thousands of tiny simulated worlds:D Like forcing all houses to be "houses of ill repute" perhaps ;)

MDA
06-01-2005, 17:24:04
Pflugerville, Texas? Funny name.

Darkstar
06-01-2005, 22:00:02
:lol:!
Hey hey. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that EA had been planning on selling a AV-Sim product. ;)

HelloKitty
07-01-2005, 00:53:30
lol 3/4 of them. Try 1/10

Its not Maxis' fault taht people are stupid. You can look at a lot info before you download it and it there is anything hacked on it you see a list, and a big warning sign.

Deacon
07-01-2005, 08:22:10
"Wasn't exactly timely?" Hackers created their own problem. EA allowed them to solve it. If EA is to get involved, it would only be to stop black hats. I don't know anything about how security gets built into data structures, but I'd bet that a modified Sims 2 would be necessary. Ideally, everybody would upgrade, but a "like versions" rule would be more likely.

As for why nobody's yet tried to corrupt everybody's savegames, maybe the black hats are busy attacking other things.

Gary
07-01-2005, 13:05:33
It's not the hackers problem, surely. It's a problem for those who legitimately wanted to share in someone else's house design.

And due to wanting to keep a good reputation, a problem for the company that produced a product that could be so easily, and unintentionally, screwed.

Pregnant teenagers everywhere, anyone ?