PDA

View Full Version : A Question about UK Freeview

Spartak
18-12-2004, 22:53:47
Accorduing to the website my postcode isn't covered although one within 2 miles is.

Is it actually possible to get freeview if you are outside the official catchment area?

Cheers

DevilsH@lo
19-12-2004, 01:40:15
Yes in a word.

Catchment area's are guidelines really based on a specific configuration of aerial, (anyone remember the on-digital "you may need to upgrade your aerial to recieve" bollocks, basically a way for them to make 40 out of 10 worth of hardware)

I would say borrow one, see if you get anything, if the picture jigsaws or freezes then with an improved aerial you won't have any problems.

Spartak
19-12-2004, 11:49:40
Cool. Thanks a lot. I'll try that. My reaearch yesterday suggested I might need to move my arial but I'll see what signal I get from Crystal Palace.

Nav
30-12-2004, 14:27:54
Originally posted by DevilsH@lo
anyone remember the on-digital "you may need to upgrade your aerial to recieve" bollocks, basically a way for them to make 40 out of 10 worth of hardware I actually had to do that as the existing aerial we had wasn't good enough. Also they came to our house installed it etc, it was good value if you ask me. :)

DevilsH@lo
31-12-2004, 12:44:17
I could agree it was good value, if it was outside the realms of normal human accomplishment, but it isn't.

I guess it's like so many things, and people aren't happy attempting it themselves which is fair enough, but if you can connect a pc to the internet or wire a plug, then you can fit an antenna, the cabling is generally already in place and if not it a simple case of drilling a hole in a wall, and all men love drills (we can pretend they are guns for god's sake!!!!! :D )

Nav
31-12-2004, 12:50:26
sorry there is a slight difference to me between wiring a plug and climbing up onto the roof to affix a new aerial! I'll leave that to the professionals I don't want to break my neck! :)

DevilsH@lo
31-12-2004, 12:55:26
Ahhh, but you didn't have to install it on the roof, most modern high gain antenna 12+ elements will work fine in a loft space, so all you would have needed to do is route the cable.

I am of course making assumptions outside my scope of knowledge, some people may use lofts as another room, in which case that's not viable.

I suppose it's a military mindset which say's bollocks to paying someone, i'll do it, or it could be the tight scottish blood in me i dunno. :D