PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protection

Gary
16-12-2004, 09:48:02
Just out of curiosity. These surge protected mains socket blocks now being sold in DIY and electrical stores. They obviously boast of their ability to reduce spikes, but do they do owt about momentary power loss too ?

I've looked at them on occassion buut not bought. My one "bad" experience of an electrical storm was when it mananged to reboot the PC, rather than fry it, so I was suspecting a loss of power was the more likely event.

Wondered if these things would stop that. Not that this occurs often enough to be in any hurry to get one.

Sir Penguin
16-12-2004, 10:06:26
They will if they have a battery. Otherwise they'll just clean up the power a bit.

SP

Gary
16-12-2004, 12:17:12
Cheers. No then. I may just go on looking and not purchasing in that case ;)

MDA
16-12-2004, 14:40:20
APC - UPS is what I used to use. Worked fine. Lots of different models.

www.apcc.com

Scabrous Birdseed
16-12-2004, 15:20:29
They will certainly handle "brownouts", temporary, partial losses of power. Not temporary, complete losses of power though, for those you need a UPS ("Uninterrupted Power Supply"). A UPS will handle everything a surge transformer will in addition to allowing you a few minutes of shutdown time in case of a blackout.

Darkstar
16-12-2004, 21:45:59
You probably need modem protection, if you use dial up. I've lost several modems (and a few computer boards) over the years to spikes on the telephone lines. A couple of good surge protectors between the phone jack box and my computer has saved me a lot of trouble, repeatily.

I've lost one cable modem and one 4 port hub to lightning so far. So getting a surge protector between your cable feed and your modem/hub might be useful.

When using a big box, I like to have a UPS. I just hate losing data/game progress to power outages.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-12-2004, 14:22:18
Remember we're in Europe here, were surge spikes are a decadely occurance and we talk about the few blackouts that happen for months afterwards. I think unless you're a company with invaluable servers a UPS is just not worth it.

MDA
17-12-2004, 16:13:25
A breezy day causes enough split second power outages here to drive me crazy at work. Save early, save often, autosave (or they could buy me a UPS).

Darkstar
17-12-2004, 21:26:45
MDA, why don't you just drop $100 US or so and get yourself your own UPS? Check to see if the petty funds will cover it. If it costs you time (And saving to a HD and having it lose power right then is bad), then the efficency increase (not having to redo work) might be worth it pretty quickly. If not to your employer, then to yourself.

zmama
17-12-2004, 21:37:35
Shit you can get a good one for $50 these days if you watch the sales

Darkstar
17-12-2004, 21:48:51
I don't trust anything that sales for $50. I've had 2 I bought at that price (on sale), and both died quickly (one did nasty things to my PSU and motherboard when it died). I've had 2 others, both much more expensive (one on sale at $75), and out of those, one died and the other is still okay at all these years and lighting strikes.

When you are talking electricity, it's just not worth being cheap. Spend the extra few pennies or dollars.

Gary
17-12-2004, 22:56:23
Not totally sure of the definition of a brownout. It that just a reduction of volts, or a momentary loss of all power ?

I can't be sure what really happened when my PC rebooted earlier this year anyway. So I think I'm still undecided about these things.

I think a UPS is an overkill, given the frequency of problems here. Might be worth considering if there was a cheap one around, but otherwise...

Thanks for the info guys.