PDA

View Full Version : CD Done!

Scabrous Birdseed
13-12-2004, 10:04:31
Funko, Laz and RC are getting CDs... Anyone else want to sign up for one before I throw them on the box?

The CD contains a variety of strange and wonderful music from all corners of the globe. I doubt much of it is of the sort you'd expect to hear from the various geographical locales.

I can't tell you the contents of the CD (by LWP rules) but I will reveal that at the very least the following languages are featured (in alphabetical order):

Arabic
Creole French
Creole Hindi
English
French
Hindi
Kannada
Laotian
Portugese
Sesotho
Spanish
Swahili
Wolof
Zulu

Funkodrom
13-12-2004, 10:22:46
Did I send you my new address?

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-12-2004, 10:23:42
Is "Kannada" the language spoken by Alanis Morrisette?

Scabrous Birdseed
13-12-2004, 10:23:49
Yes.

Scabrous Birdseed
13-12-2004, 10:24:23
x-post!

No.

Funkodrom
13-12-2004, 10:27:41
Ok. I thought I had. :D

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-12-2004, 10:33:53
Let's have a guess-

Arabic Jazz-metal
Creole French Qawwali
Creole Hindi Bluegrass
English Nose-flute mantras
French music that's actually good
Hindi Hardcore
Kannada Morris Dancing melodies
Laotian Happy House
Portugese Dub
Sesotho Trance
Spanish Brass band
Swahili Prog-rock
Wolof Gregorian chant
Zulu Hair Metal.

That sort of thing?

Scabrous Birdseed
13-12-2004, 10:44:58
You're vagule close on two of them. More if you shuffle them around a bit.

Scabrous Birdseed
13-12-2004, 10:45:36
Actually, I think you'd just about be able to guess most of these genres exist. I just put that down to increase interest and stop people thinking I was just putting on Gamelan or something.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-12-2004, 10:48:21
I think Zulu Hair Metal would probably be the pinnacle of art as we know it.

Funkodrom
13-12-2004, 11:26:02
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Let's have a guess-

French music that's actually good

Don't be absurd.

Scabrous Birdseed
16-12-2004, 18:58:13
I'll throw these off tomorrow. Does anyone except the four want a copy? Go on, I'll thow in a track in Punjabi as well for ya. You can't be fairer than that.

Stefu X
16-12-2004, 19:29:23
Did you get my PM

Resource Consumer
16-12-2004, 19:33:47
There's not one in Bangla!!!!!!!!!!! Discrimination.

Looking forward to this

Scabrous Birdseed
18-12-2004, 10:18:35
Right, three to Britain and one to Finland are (virtually) in the post.

If the handwriting on the envelopes (not yours Mike) looks better than usual it's because my girlfriend insisted on writing them.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-12-2004, 17:10:16
Aw, shame. I've grown quite fond of your brain-damaged scrawl.

Oerdin
20-12-2004, 09:37:23
Would you mind sending one to America?

Funkodrom
20-12-2004, 10:41:54
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Right, three to Britain and one to Finland are (virtually) in the post.

If the handwriting on the envelopes (not yours Mike) looks better than usual it's because my girlfriend insisted on writing them.

Great! :beer:

Scabrous Birdseed
20-12-2004, 12:59:57
Originally posted by Oerdin
Would you mind sending one to America?

Not at all. PM me your address.

Scabrous Birdseed
20-12-2004, 13:01:11
Oh, and fuck my silly review games: basically, all songs you're curious about you review, and I'll tell you more about them.

Scabrous Birdseed
20-12-2004, 16:25:25
A name would be useful too.

Resource Consumer
21-12-2004, 14:49:10
names are useless - we should all have numbers

Funkodrom
21-12-2004, 15:07:00
Ok number 5. (I'm number 3)

fp
21-12-2004, 17:53:49
Can I be number 2?

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-12-2004, 17:59:13
Funko is banished from the Metal gang for not being 69 or 666.

Funkodrom
22-12-2004, 09:02:23
Three is the number of prongs on my Trident.

fp's number 366, Laz is very close to a good time at number 67.

Resource Consumer
22-12-2004, 13:42:48
Seems my CD has arrived this morning - thanks Scabby. I will now be able to audition this at my leisure over Christmas/New Year.

I will also put a CD together in the new year and have it ready for the CG meet in January and, of course, by post for any of those who would prefer the less personal means of delivery.

protein
22-12-2004, 13:53:48
I want one. Am I too late?

Scabrous Birdseed
22-12-2004, 14:49:42
Nah.

I've got your address, I'll send you one after Christmas.

protein
22-12-2004, 15:20:15
champion!

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-12-2004, 18:02:49
Dhol meltdown on track 14!

Scabrous Birdseed
22-12-2004, 18:37:08
Oooh, they've been received. Capital.

Funkodrom
23-12-2004, 09:49:12
Got my CD this morning.

Funkodrom
23-12-2004, 15:34:06
That's a SID!

Scabrous Birdseed
23-12-2004, 15:45:47
Sure is! Can you name the composer and game?

Oh and ta for the name.

Funkodrom
23-12-2004, 15:47:37
No, but I definitely recognise it.

Scabrous Birdseed
02-01-2005, 21:40:14
Oerdin, protein: your CDs have been posted. Bo.

Provost Harrison
05-01-2005, 22:39:40
No Mongolian throat music? I'm shocked and disappointed...

protein
06-01-2005, 02:14:44
Woohoo. Got mine today! I haven't listened to it yet but I will do as soon as I've finished mixing our single.

I'll mail you a copy when it's manufactured.

protein
06-01-2005, 12:38:05
first track. As it's a vocal lead track with average production and I don't understand the words I'm not too fussed about it.

I challenge anyone to listen to the second track and not nod. I'd love to hear it on a massive sound system.

Third track. Sounds like Whigfield production mixed with early 90s electro beats and a three year old child asking for sweets in a language I don't understand. Hmm. I think I like it. It's amusing anyway.

Track 4. Oh yeah! This is the shit. For the first minute. Then it gets a little repetative and could do with some more sections. The vocal is great but the beat and bass is a little like a keyboard demo. Actually, it's like the music I used to make on my old Roland MC303.

Track 5. This really is a keyboard demo isn't it? I would have turned this down if it was submitted to RAW42 for being boring, repetative, having poor production and having no commercial value.

Track 6. Postman Singh, Postman Singh, Postman Singh and his black and white cat. Oh lordy. It's really terrible. Maybe it would be better if it was on video with lots of dancing or something. It sounds like a keyboard and singer duo you'd find in a hotel bar in Delhi.

Track 7 - finally, I was scared that there would be no decent music on the whole CD. Now this I genuinely like.

Track 8 - This is either Thai or from that region. Not the best example of contemporary Thai (or that region) music. This really does sound exactly like the music I've heard Thai keyboard and singer duos perform in various hotels. Scabby, there's some really, really shit-kicking Thai dance pop around but it's impossible to find. It seems that the really popular stuff over there and therefore the stuff available on emule is the sentimental love ballads.

I'll listen to the rest later.

Scabrous Birdseed
06-01-2005, 14:04:42
Actually, I've got quite a bit of decent Thai pop (there's a great Swedish Thai expats Hub on DC++) but I'm quite fond of the Morlam (North thai/Laotian) Bassline and fake Farfisa organ bits. Otherwise, yeah, it doesn't really fit into the rest of the CD. (I've been trying to find Morlam Sing, the variant with Psych-Metal guitars. It looks quite cool from pictures I've seen.)

http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/j/jbfiles/Morlam_sing_05.jpg
(Like that one.)

Er, I'd tell you what the tracks you liked were but I've left the tracklist at home.

Stefu X
06-01-2005, 14:17:10
Admit it, Scabby. The third track co-stars Jordy.

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-01-2005, 22:41:30
1- Interesting opening with the dog barking and childish vocals. Sounds like a soundtrack to the acts of feral French schoolkids, smashing up bus stops and setting fire to minor civil servants. Nice contrast between vaguely New-Agey backing and belligerant voice. Good one.

2- Interesting start, but rapidly nosedives into identikit 3rd-World rap. This is the adverse side-effects of the approaching US cultural hegemony- only the fact that it's a different language distinguishes it from a million other run-of-the-mill rap tracks. As lacking in distinguishing features as a countour map of East Anglia.

3- A grower. Naggingly insistant, and catchy. I started a bit of a desk-bound boogie to this one, though the male vocals suck monstrously.

4- Cut-up and infectious electro track, with intriguing diversions into Indian folk. Good combination, and excellent vocals set to a sympathetic arrangement. Rhythm track is heavily Indian-influenced. Best track on the compilation.

5- Boooooooooorrrrrrriiinnnng.

6- Massive cheese overdose! It's the theme tune to a Bangalore-based sit-com based on the misadventures of a dentist who really wants to spend his life re-creating the battles of Hannibal, to the consternation of his parents who are arranging for him to marry a girl from a good family who've all got really hilarious comedy squints.

7- Ooooh. Snakey, and a bit sexy. There's a hint of Islam to this, possibly Moorish. It's got a lot of soul to it, even though it bizarrely reminds me of Madonna's "La Isla Bonita". Despite that monstrous stumbling block, I like this one.

8- Painful. Who told her she could sing? Bar an interesting bass-line, this is pretty undistinguished stuff.

9- Godawful 1980's chart pop, with accompanying video of women rollerskating along sunny American streets in hot-pants and leg-warmers. This is rubbish. It sounds like an escapee from "Now 2".

10- Yeah, baby! We're back on form with an arse-kicking percussion intro. I know this track, but can't name it. Great piece of retarded (in a good way) electro-funk.

11- Mental piece of incidental music to a 1985 video game featuring garish pink graphics and a robot or two. Probably called "Android Onslaught!". I can feel my RSI twitching in sympathy, but I'm buggered if I'd actually choose to put a track like this on my stereo.

12- Ah, yes. More evidence of how thousands of enthralling and unique cultures are being steamrollered into extinction. This is rubbish.

13- Poignant, yet ever-so discretely funky. It's got a lot of charm, like the singer's wanting to wig-out in a big way but is terrified his mates will take the piss for the rest of his life. Nice one. Never heard anything like this before, and it's good.

14- Dhol meltdown (even if it is programmed)! This is a cracking track that proves that genuine cultural progress is a much better thing than trickle-down assimilation. I could listen to stuff like this for days on end.

15- Mildly deranged. Very catchy arrangement that suits the vocal well. Another good one- we're on a roll now. I'd guess this is African in origin, but I'm undoubtedly a continent or two out.

16- If The Prodigy (in their pre- 1995 guise) had been born in a shantytown, they would have made this track. That's not a compliment. Roll ended, crashed and burned. Very mediocre and derivative.

17- That's a really good moody arrangement, which struggles to carry the vocals. There's a lot to recommend this track, but some of the vocalists need to be shot.

18- Uninspiring in the first minute. Dull in the second. Monotonous in the third, moving into tedious for the next couple of minutes. After that, I started to lose interest.

Resource Consumer
07-01-2005, 13:48:49
Some interesting stuff on this. Unfortunately, some stuff that I really hated. For me, the best tracks (and the ones I am interested to hear more about are 1, 6, 8, 14 and 18)

Track 1 :

Nice barking and (I think) xylophone. I wonder what the words about – it seems to relate to someone with a “slack bladder”. Overall, quite nice. This is one I’d like to hear more of.

Track 2 :

I can’t say that this did too much for me. Not much else to say, I am afraid.

Track 3 :

I can’t work out what language this is. I can’t say that this is my sort of thing but I find the chorus quite engaging.

Track 4 :

A quite interesting start – nice match between voice and noises. On the whole this is not too bad but probably a bit too long.

Track 5 :

This sounds at first pass like the Young Marble Giants have gone dance. Staccato organ and not much else. But, of course, it is not.

Track 6 :

This is what Radio 2 should sound like. Sounds as if it is Indian. But I wonder if this is a cover as I seem to hear the words “Barry Manilow” appearing periodically. I really do like this.

Track 7 :

Another Indian sounding one. Not bad but does not come close to track 6 on the entertainment scale.

Track 8 :

Until the vocals started, I was expecting some French or Russian to start singing. This seems to be in some Asian language and is, in my opinion, really good although singer’s voice can be a bit irritating in places.

Track 9 :

The problem I have with this track is that the voice seems to be really weak. In contrast the rest of it is quite neat – especially the trumpet sound.

Track 10:

Nice drumming and Kraftwerk stuff. I hated this at first but it does grow on you. Could, though, do with being just a bit shorter.

Track 11 :

Take me to your leader. Plenty of blips and bleeps. It is like a primer on “little green men talk”.

Track 12 :

Who the fuck is Mario? And I wish he would let these guys know where he is and then they can shut up. Not my scene at all, I am afraid

Track 13 :

This is quite nice. Arabic, I would guess. Some very restrained guitar on the intro and piano throughout. I would have thought the conventional drums could have done with being down in the mix somewhat (the congas/bongos/whatevers are fine though).

Track 14 :

A good start with the accordion (or, I think, more exactly the accordion soundalike). Judging from the words and the music this is something from the West Indian Asian community. I do rather like this.

Track 15 :

I can’t decide whether or not this is from French West Africa or from some French speaking area of the West Indies although confusingly it switches between French and English. Either way, I can’t say it does a lot for me.

Track 16 :

Now, this is more like it. Some nice latin groove until…….the rap kicks in. I have to say this is really OK but can’t help think it would be really a whole lot better without the Rapmeister who keeps muscling in.

Track 17 :

Just to be contrary, I rather like this. In French but I do not know any French rappers outside of MC Solaar so I haven’t a clue who it is. This is much more enjoyable than the previous track. Now, if you could combine the two there could be a great track there.

Track 18 :

Saving the best until last. From southern Africa somewhere. Not the Bhundu Boys and not as good - but more modern. Curious to hear a little more about this but it is one of those tracks that goes on too long.

Scabrous Birdseed
08-01-2005, 14:01:59
I'm trying to figure out from your descriptions what each track is, I'll be damned if I remember the actual tracklist. Should have made a copy of it and brought along.

Anyway, I think the tracks are the following, I'll be along in a couple of days with complete geographical/genre/artist descriptors:

1. Mzambiya - Mele Senzeni
2. Ivy Queen & Don Chezina - La Queena
3. MC Fabricio & MC Dado - Montagem Gorda Baleia
4. J12 - Veera Ha (Vocal Mix)
5. Donae'o - Bounce 3
6. Boys are Best from the movie Chura Liyaa Hai Tumne
7. Dr Zeus - Mil de Yaar
8. Luk Nok Supapon - Khun Lumyai
9. Giggles - Love Letters
10. Troublefunk - Trouble Funk Express
11. Rob Hubbard - Theme from the game Commando
12. DJ Jubilee, Willie Puckett, Junie B & more - Do The Mario
13. Rashid Al-Majid - Tewasi Shay (DJ Redbull remix)
14. Jairam Dindial - Trinidad Kay Babujee
15. Peter Ram - Un Couche La
16. DJ Laz - Esa Morena
17. Daara J - Bopp sa Bopp
18. Cool James - Sina Makosa

Scabrous Birdseed
12-01-2005, 14:21:44
Right, this is gonna be an interminable parade of silly genres and you know it, so I might as well throw you straight in with…

1. …South Africa’s kwaito, of which the 2000 track ”Mele Senzeni” by then-prepubescent boy star Mzambiya is a mildly representative example. I say mildly, because kwaito tends to veer wildly from the slow-beat Chicago house variant it was originally to some sort of silly-sample polyglot hip-hop. Anyway, it’s great fun in any language and I wouldn’t be surprised if this genre broke in the west fairly soon.

2. A genre that, on the other hand, is on the verge of doing so (after a bunch of reasonable successes that haven’t mentioned the name) is Reggaeton, principally made in Puerto Rico and Panama. If you want to be cruel it’s basically just American rap set over a Jamaican dancehall riddim that someone has spliced a set of mechanical Puerto Rican bomba drum tracks onto, but hell, it’s fun, so who cares? Don Chezina and Ivy Queen are two Puerto Rican stars of the genre, the latter’s albums “Diva” and “Queen” have received a western release on Universal if you want more.

3. This is funk. If you’re uncomfortable with that genre name you can call it baille funk or carioca funk or Rio funk. It’s the Miami bass-derived music of the Brazilian favelas, and it’s apparently mostly an excuse for going to clubs and gang fighting/having public sex, if alarmist newspaper reports are to be believed. Good fun nonetheless, loads of this stuff about the net if you want to download, here for example: http://www.evil-wire.org/~ampere/mp3/funky/

4. J12 is one of those UK artists whose CDs are released on bhangra labels and end up in the bhanga category on www.asiansounds.com, but who isn’t remotely bhangra at all. This track isn’t even in Punjabi, and it’s never been near a set of dholaks. No, I’d say this is basically eskigrimesublowdubstep with a somewhat asian flavour, here accentuated by the vocal-oriented remix. J12’s album “Born To Nach” is out on Bally Sagoo’s Ishq label.

5. The underground grimeyeightstepeightbareastbeats scene in London is really interesting and its more underground products are surprisingly easy to get hold of through at least one dedicated Direct Connect hub (dchub://eskiunit.no-ip.com, register with a mod for download privilidges). Donae’o is just one of dozens of producers from London’s environs, I happen to enjoy his stuff but you lot might prefer darker material by people like Black Ops.

6. What can I say? I just wanted to indulge my cheesy side. This is unashamed, derivative, humalong bollywood from a highly recommended various artists CD called “Kudi vs Munda”, Boys vs Girls. Out on Sony India, and (alas) out of stock at Asian Sounds.

7. More British-Asian music, this time by one of the standouts on the Bhangra scene last year. Dr Zeus’ album “Unda Da Influence” was certainly one of my overall favourites of 2004 and is an enormous achievement considering he’s spent much of the last decade issuing crap hip-hop remixes. Well worth seeking out, both for the fast-paced tracks and the ballads, all laced with cleverly intermixed samples and live instruments.

8. Well, as I already mentioned this is morlam, the music of northern Thailand with the weird pseudo-rap bit. This smash hit from a few years ago is about a girl who moved from the country to the big city and is meant to be funny, poignant and culturally significant as all our Laotian speakers probably can testify.

9. Freestyle occupies the same spot in the history of music as late-sixties bubblegum, mid-seventies disco and today’s R&B – it’s essentially decent music that has become the “contemporary flavour” in subsequent second rate pop mulch. In this case, the music conceived as the US Latino answer to hip-hop was softened up with strings and shit and unpleasantly smeared out all over Madonna, New Kids On The Block and Samantha Fox. (In response freestyle started emphasising the beat more and eventually ended up a big component of booty bass, but that is a different story.) I personally like the mixture of hardcore synthesiser beatmaking and smoochy love lyrics, but maybe that’s just me.

10. Go-go, Washington D.C.’s hip-hop variant of the mid-80s, had a consistent organic-acoustic-electric funk ethos that should have pulled down this kind of electro crossover. But hell, Troublefunk were pioneers of the genre and you can’t really cover Kraftwerk without at least some electronics! I think the combination is great personally.

11. Here’s your Commodore 64 SID, funko – Rob Hubbard’s theme music from Commando. Hubbard was a bit of a warped genius when it comes to game music – look no further than the 16-minute Jarre-meets-Terminator epic he did for Knucklebusters for a particularly nasty example. This track is simpler but an absolute killer on the dancefloor if you’re in the right mood. Dowload every single SID ever made (27.653 or so) at HVSC: http://www.hvsc.c64.org/ (If you want a CD of my favourites from the genre, I recently made one for a friend and can email you a copy…)

12. Must have missed the age demographic on this one, people my generation tend to find the sample a source of interminable mirth. Oh well. I thought I’d round the US genre insanity I’ve forced on you on recent LWPs with bounce, New Orleans’s carefree dance-music fun-genre. This is basically everyone who’s ever recorded anything for third-tier local label Take Fo’, including a high school gym teacher and at least one transsexual. Buy the import best-of-label “Party at the Luau” now.

13. This one I honestly know nothing whatsoever about, found it on http://music.kuwait.com/ while looking for considerably lower-quality Miami Band tracks. DJ Redbull, despite the silly name, has done some quality remixes of Arabic pop and the rest of his stuff on the site is well worth checking out.

14. A little-known fact about Trinidad is that something like haft the population is of Indian origin. Obviously they’ve added something to the local cultural mix, and the genre they’re most closely associated with is chutney, an interesting mixture of hindi pop and calypso that has been a key form of expression since the seventies. There are now loads of variants interbreeding with every other Caribbean genre, but this is basically the real deal and boy is it great.

15. This is possibly the single most intermixed track I’ve ever heard. Produced by a guy called Deepu Panjwani on Barbados (on Lethal Studio’s “Dhol” riddim), you can without any difficulty hear influences from at the very least soca, Jamaican dancehall, chutney, bhangra, zouk, dirty south hip-hop, rapso and West African drumming, with liberal doses of straightforward western pop thrown in. And despite this, it’s still not an eclectic mess but a concrete, straight-forward piece of music. I admire it.

16. Here we go! This is basically just Miami/booty bass that DJ Laz has spiced up with a bit of Dominican merengue, but I love the energy rush. By the way, did you know that word tries to correct merengue to meringue? Madness.

17. No, no, RC, not French. This is Senegalese. Daara J is quite possibly the only group beloved by conventional world-music bozos that I find vaguely palatable, and the album this is taken off (“Boomrang”) is available just about anywhere including quite probably your local public library. This is just one of half a dozen standout tracks.

18. Well, now we know who’s been listening to free MP3s of the week, don’t we? This was one a couple of years ago. Cool James had a eurocheese career right here in Sweden for many years, reaching international success as part of the duo Cool James & Black Teacher. Then he moved back home to Tanzania (which had developed a flourishing hip-hop scene in his absence) and did an album of rootsy, laid back music that became massively big down there. He died a couple of years ago in a car accident, but the album (and the entire Dar es Salaam hip-hop scene) is worth checking out. I recommend http://www.mzibo.net/ as a good starting point.

Scabrous Birdseed
12-01-2005, 14:35:26
Oookey, that was a bit long. Sorry.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-01-2005, 17:36:25
I can see I was way out just about every time I tried to guess the origin. You planning on reviewing mine?

Scabrous Birdseed
12-01-2005, 21:21:08
I had planned on spending several evenings listening through it and reviewing it when I got to Stockholm after christmas... And then when we were leaving and everything was so stressed I left it in my room. (It was in some other CDs case, I looked all over for it.) I'll try to grab it again in two week's time, I've got lots of free PC time at my work experience placement (and no girlfriend in the evenings, alas) so I'll get writing then.

Sorry about the delay.

Immortal Wombat
12-01-2005, 22:30:06
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
No, I’d say this is basically eskigrimesublowdubstep with a somewhat asian flavour, here accentuated by the vocal-oriented remix.
Was this written with a straight face? My sense-the-tone-of-the-post organ has broken.

Scabrous Birdseed
13-01-2005, 08:15:33
Okay, so it's basically a woman's slightly cut-up Kannada-language warblings set over a beat that wouldn't have gone amiss on a Wiley record. How do you want me to describe it?