PDA

View Full Version : Records of the year

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-12-2004, 17:14:09
Album- "Bubblegum" by The Mark Lanegan Band.

Song- "Methamphetamine Blues" by The Mark Lanegan Band.

They're my picks. What are yours?

Funkodrom
06-12-2004, 17:18:27
I've bought loads of CDs this year, very few were released this year.

Of those, only Dizzee Rascal's Showtime really stands out as a classic.

So I'll go for

Album - Dizzee Rascal, Showtime
Song - Bloc Party, Banquet

Debaser
06-12-2004, 17:29:11
Short player - The Man Who Came To Stay - Babyshambles
Long Player - The Concretes - The Concretes

Funkodrom
06-12-2004, 17:36:53
Short player - Sean Wright-Phillips

Resource Consumer
07-12-2004, 15:16:02
2 albus stand out this year for me -

Llasa - "The Living Road" and
Kasabian - "Kasabian"

King_Ghidra
07-12-2004, 16:01:13
Can i cheat and have more than one? No need to answer, of course i fucking can.

LP's: Scissor Sisters, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon

Honourable mentions: Beastie Boys, The Orb, The Prodigy

Single: Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

Honourable mention: That Bloc Party one; First of The Gang To Die - Morrissey; Girls - Prodigy

Morte
07-12-2004, 17:14:10
Marillion - Marbles

Scabrous Birdseed
07-12-2004, 19:28:33
This gets harder every year - I've started buying and listening to music as if it were purely something to fit my radio show's format. Meaning lots of singles of indeterminable date, some albums and compos of very variable quality, and very few tracks I listen to more than half a dozen times.

paiktis22
07-12-2004, 19:56:27
I have no idea. I liked songs I've heard by Morissey (stable value) Franz Ferdinand, The Stills, Razorlight and other stuff you won't know but whenever I go to a record shop I end up getting something old. Then there's this thing that happens for example you listen to things like Maroon 5 and you know it will empty out in 1 week but there's no other alternative for "foreign" music because the relevant outlets have been demolished. I have come to feel nostalgia for MTV of all things because at least there there was one or two shows that could show something alternative and new. But now you have one that shows only the crap pop, greek and "foreign" crap, as long as it's crap it's there and it's ok because that's what the people want. The only thing that one could ask is to be there an outlet that focuses a bit more on people with "special needs" but there is none. And what's even worse is that even the counted on the fingers of one hand "rock stations" have also fallen on the loop of the "hit list" so you just listen to the same thing over and over and over.
Or maybe it'sjust me and I'm not interested enough to find out but I have the feeling that the times when a single album would fascinate me are long gone.
P.S. plus I feel like I'm cheated. Even when something good manages to push through I have a feeling it's just the top of the iceberg and there're tons more from where that came from but we only get just the "hit" of the whole sum as well.

Funkodrom
08-12-2004, 13:51:04
As I had to do 5 at another site I'll Ctrl-C Ctrl-P them here:

1. Dizzee Rascal - Showtime
2. The Mad Capsule Markets - CiSTm K0nFLiqT
3. Probot - Probot
4. Therapy? - Never Apologise Never Explain
5. A Grand Don't Come for Free - The Streets

Honourable mentions:

Goldie Lookin' Chain - Greatest Hits
Left Side Brain - Equal and Opposite
Velvet Revolver - Contraband

The Shaker
09-12-2004, 18:26:50
Breed77- Cultura
Mastadon - Leviathon.

Mr. Bas
10-12-2004, 13:49:17
Hmmm... I really liked the albums by Therapy?, Isis, Converge and Nirvana (if that counts), but I'll have to think a bit more for a definitive list.

King_Ghidra
10-12-2004, 14:09:50
i need to hear that new Mad Capsule Markets album

Gramercy Riffs
10-12-2004, 15:41:48
I havent bought any "new" albums this year but stumbled upon some great old ones.

The Monks - Black Monk Time
The Cardiacs - Greatest Hits (To see if I liked them enough to buy some of their LP's. I do)
British Sea Power - The Decline Of British Sea Power
Anhrefn - Defaid, Skateboards a Wellies
Datblygu - 1984 - 1991

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-12-2004, 17:21:51
I had a few members of Datblygu round at my flat a few times- one of my flat-mates was their sound engineer.

Kitsuki
10-12-2004, 17:49:02
Jimmy Eat World - Futures
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons
New Found Glory - Catalyst

Gramercy Riffs
13-12-2004, 13:20:52
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I had a few members of Datblygu round at my flat a few times- one of my flat-mates was their sound engineer.

Really?

David Edwards is like a Welsh Mark E Smith.

*edited due to calling him Rob Edwards for some reason

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-12-2004, 14:51:30
Yep. He went on to be sound engineer for Super Furry Animals. I never knew who any of these people were at the time- I'd just just get up and find random stoned Welshmen passed out around the flat.

King_Ghidra
13-12-2004, 14:55:02
gramercy is a huge super furries fan, you've probably made him very jealous of you today

Scabrous Birdseed
16-12-2004, 08:32:59
Anyway, my picks are:

Album: Wiley - Treddin' on Thin Ice

Single: Faithless - Mass Destruction

Whaddyaknow? They're both british.