PDA

View Full Version : failed to connect to server

protein
29-11-2004, 23:43:02
I got a cheap copy of battlefield 1942 and I've tried all night to play online. I've never played a game online before so I don't really know what the hell I'm doing.

I've tried loading up the game while I'm on the internet then clicking on one of the list of servers that comes up then I always get the message "failed to connect to server".

I tried loading up gamespy arcade then clicking on a server then I get the same message after some other message about hibernating or something.

I'm very close to giving up and selling the game on. It all seems increadibly difficult. All I want to do is try an online game for the first time. Anyone got any tips for a pissed off newbie?

Shining1
30-11-2004, 00:00:04
This could just be bad luck, or it could be something like having a firewall (say the infamous Zonealarm) running and not being setup to allow Battlefield to run as a server.

Since you're not getting any servers at all, and I know for a fact that there are still *some* people out there playing Battlefield, it sounds like a technical issue.

However I've never played battlefield so I don't know exactly how it works? You're trying to access something like a global list of servers?

protein
30-11-2004, 01:05:28
I don't really know what I'm doing. There's a list of servers, if I double click on one the game will attempt to connect to the server and then fail. Same if I do it through the Gamespy thingy.

I don't know if I should use gamespy or just use the game. Gamespy seems to complicate matters because I have to go in and out of the game and that confuses the pc.

Venom
30-11-2004, 01:19:48
Yeah, sounds like a router/firewall problem. You may have to open up some ports.

protein
30-11-2004, 01:32:35
Bugger. I have Zone Alarm Free and I can't access the ports.

Might have to download a dodgy ZA Pro with emule.

Venom
30-11-2004, 02:08:02
Just to test, shut down zone alarm and try it without it running. It won't hurt to take down your firewall for a few minutes.

protein
30-11-2004, 02:21:05
I looked into that. Apparently if zone alarm shuts a port it stays shut whether you have the program running or not. I've found a list of ports that need to be open so I'll be able to work through that as soon as zone alarm pro is installed.

Venom
30-11-2004, 02:24:43
Fine then. Do that.

Beta1
30-11-2004, 12:20:33
then lets us lot know and we'll all log on and pwn your arse from here to midway.

Nav
30-11-2004, 13:00:08
you have patched the game to the latest version? got latest drivers etc?

Zonealarm also works on an application basis. It should prompt you when Battlefield attempts to contact the net. Once you allow it, then the game should be fine. Worked for me that way.

King_Ghidra
30-11-2004, 13:14:16
nav makes a good point about patching

i strongly suspect if you have a new copy you are unpatched and will need to do so immediatement

Shining1
30-11-2004, 22:26:03
Yeah Zonealarm should have made a popup allowing you to let it use the internet whenever you want. No need to mess around with ports or anything.

There's also the possibility that the server list is just old and useless and crap and you should just keep trying to connect till you find a good one.

Nav
30-11-2004, 22:53:08
Use 'all seeing eye' to look for games rather than the in=built search...

protein
01-12-2004, 02:17:20
I installed the patch and it all seems to work.

In two hours of trying to work out how to play the game I got killed about 30 times and managed to shoot only one person. It's really hectic.

Is there nowhere newbies can play? Everyone seems to be shit hot at the game except me.

I have no idea how the radio thing works either.

King_Ghidra
01-12-2004, 09:54:03
read the manual and practice

sorry, nothing else will do - you might be able to find a newbie server but it's hardly worth the effort, just play the single-player campaign and learn that way

protein
01-12-2004, 13:09:19
okeydokey, cheers kg. :)

Venom
01-12-2004, 13:34:56
For me, playing the bots actually helped quite a bit. At least to the point where you could be competitive in the games. I mean, I'm not the greatest BF1942 player but I can hold my own and I learned by playing single player mode. Of course, you must train to be able to win the entire battle by yourself.

notyoueither
04-12-2004, 10:04:21
get a real connection.