PDA

View Full Version : Morning Runner

King_Ghidra
29-11-2004, 16:55:32
From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/newbritishtalent/story/0,15594,1361704,00.html

An article on 'New British Talent' - come this lot, anyone know anything? i think i may have heard about them or even seen them down the AD before...

Name: Morning Runner (3, 12, 13, 14)
Ages: 20-25
What they do: In just 18 months, this Reading-based rock band have gone from local rehearsal rooms to being Parlophone's "main priority". They're now recording with legendary producer John Leckie and a single is due for release in March.
They say: "We were sitting this morning watching MTV, wondering where we're supposed to fit in, and we couldn't work it out at all. We really don't want to be seen as one of these bands who've come out on the back of Coldplay, just because we've got keyboards. I think we've got a bit more energy, it's a bit less polished. We're trying to keep everything simple. We want to write songs, not epics. No 12-minute tracks." - Matt Greener, singer.
We say: In a world of drippy piano balladeers and stadium rockers, Morning Runner have a charm and a surprising edge to their sound, and a distinctive voice in Greener.

Debaser
29-11-2004, 17:03:20
Yeah, they're friends with Pete Hefferan etc... used to be called Mafu... In the College Arms quite often...

They used to be better, but they've watered down their sound into a bit of a generic Coldplay kind of thing to secure a deal (which is fair enough, if a bit lame).

protein
29-11-2004, 17:03:31
We did a gig with them a few months ago. I think all the other bands that played that night have been signed now. It seems to be signing season because we have about four or five labels interested too.

I forsee lots of one album bands in the next couple of years.

Debaser
29-11-2004, 17:05:11
Haha, just actually read the clip you posted. "We really don't want to be seen as one of these bands who've come out on the back of Coldplay"... er, too late mate...

Debaser
29-11-2004, 17:07:04
Originally posted by protein
I think all the other bands that played that night have been signed now.

Do you mean the AAA night at the Face Bar? Morning Runner are the only band that played that night to be properly signed. Polar Remote being on Velocity doesn't really count, and My Luminaries aren't signed yet....

Nills Lagerbaak
29-11-2004, 17:13:16
Originally posted by Debaser
Haha, just actually read the clip you posted. "We really don't want to be seen as one of these bands who've come out on the back of Coldplay"... er, too late mate...

Way, way too late :)

protein
29-11-2004, 18:06:06
Originally posted by Debaser
Do you mean the AAA night at the Face Bar? Morning Runner are the only band that played that night to be properly signed. Polar Remote being on Velocity doesn't really count, and My Luminaries aren't signed yet....
They've both signed to proper labels as far as I know. Kev told me about My Luminaries and I think Alex said about Polar Remote.

I might be wrong though.

Funkodrom
30-11-2004, 10:00:20
Everyone seems to have pretty much covered it.

Matthew's a lovely guy though and he's got a great voice, hope they do really well. Apparently him and Luisa stand in the park pushing their kids on the swings and moaning about he music industry.