PDA

View Full Version : I like cut scenes, but this is ridiculous

Kory
29-11-2004, 03:15:07
So, I'd been dithering about buying Xenosaga #1 (for the PS2) for a while because it looked like I'd probably find it interesting but it also looked just sorta twee enough that I wasn't sure I wouldn't retch (I have this problem with a lot of anime, too).

(Speaking of which, Milk-Chan should be on soon...)

(Anyhow...)

While I was out at my favorite used (and new) CD store, I noticed that in addition to carrying videos and DVDs (which I knew) they'd added used video games (which was new). And lo, for $15, a copy of Xenosaga.

"Hell," I said. "I'm $15 worth of curious."

I just loaded it up yesterday. In something like 9 hours of gameplay, I think I've actually been in control of the character for as much as two hours.

The rest has been cut scenes.

Now, look. I like me the cutscenes. I think the use of cutscenes is an interesting, intregal part of console RPGs. But if they wanted to make an anime series, why didn't they just make an anime series?

-- Kory (I would've probably bought it.)

JM^3
29-11-2004, 03:20:09
my freind had this problem as well

Jon Miller

Kory
03-12-2004, 23:44:36
OTOH, aside from the boss battle I'm stuck on and have gotten my ass kicked repeatedly during (10 times and counting) I'm really really enjoying the story, so, I'll put up with the cut scenes.

Previews say Xenosaga 2 has better balance between watch and play. And the design updates look nice. OTOH, they screwed with the battle system because apparently people hated it for some reason I don't get.

Well, I have to wait til February at least to get it so I won't know til then if they made it better or worse.

-- Kory (Assuming I've managed this boss battle by then...)

The Mad Monk
04-12-2004, 05:06:10
Kick that boss in the dingding!

notyoueither
04-12-2004, 10:14:55
buy it. cut out the angst

Kory
05-12-2004, 06:39:36
Um. What the fuck are you talking about? Buy what? Cut out what angst?

JM^3
05-12-2004, 07:08:52
he is trying to bump out some spam

ignore

JM

Darkstar
06-12-2004, 21:38:03
Yep. But... he's saying get Xeno2 and stop sweating about beating bosses and just watching the movie. I think.

Kory
07-12-2004, 00:50:40
Um. I'm not 'sweating about beating bosses'; I was actually stuck on the same specific boss battle in the first game. Actually, it took me another 5 times before I got through it. The tagline was a little joke about how if I were still stuck in February I'd have to wait to play the second game.

I also already said I was getting the second game. See that bit where I say "I have to wait"? It's because it's not out yet.

What are you people smoking around here?

-- Kory (Don't share.)

Darkstar
07-12-2004, 01:12:41
Nothing.

Glad you got through your boss block. So, you going to be done watching the movie by Feb? ;)

I was agreeing with Jon Miller. NYE had bumped the thread to cover up some spam in Games. He just posted his bump in a smart ass fashion.

Kory
07-12-2004, 05:23:19
If I'm reading the progress of the game right, I'm about 90% of the way through, so hopefully I should be done before February, yes. :)

Then maybe I'll try tackling Silent Hill 3 again. I'd really like to see the story, it's just that last time I tried playing it I simultaneously got bored with the way it unfolded and irritated by how difficult it was about 10 minutes in. I had that problem with the first one (well, the difficulty part anyhow) and then ended up loving it so maybe I just need to be in the mood.

Otherwise, I may just replay ChronoCross.

-- Kory (I can always replay Chrono.)

Kory
08-12-2004, 18:10:55
Grr.

An hour of running around, then a boss battle, and then aNOTHER boss battle, without a save, and now I'm going to have to repeat it starting back from that hour of running around bit because of it.

Game designer wannabes, take note: there should always, always, always be a nearby save point before boss battles, particularly double boss battles.

Better still, let's get rid of the concept of 'save points' altogether and just allow free saving.

-- Kory (I won't be playing XS for a few days while I recover my aplomb.)

MDA
08-12-2004, 18:23:57
Amen to ditching save/checkpoints.

Darkstar
09-12-2004, 04:36:22
I hate save points. That concept sucks so bad!

JM^3
09-12-2004, 05:30:09
they were a requirement of the small memory cards

but really, currently, there is no excuse to have such small cards

JM

Darkstar
09-12-2004, 05:37:51
No, they weren't. Think about it... they have to save all the same flags and character stats, items, etc. The only space saved datawise is that they can use an enumerate for location, rather then (map#-coordinates on map). A couple of bits saved. Completely insignificant.

Save points are just a mechanism to make the game more difficult on players.

MDA
09-12-2004, 14:10:32
Which is totally pointless thing to do in a single player game.

The Mad Monk
09-12-2004, 18:07:47
I doubt they make more sense in multiplayer, where the challenge is supposed to come from the other humans in the game.

MDA
09-12-2004, 22:45:41
True. I was thinking about games where you were competing indirectly with other players (by rankings or scores, but not from killing them) - people could save-reload-reload-reload to maximize their "score" or whatever.

Darkstar
10-12-2004, 02:00:37
People "reload-reload-reload" now. At least, those going for max whatever often do.

So what is the save point doing? Just being an artificial difficulty. If you don't want to let a player save during a boss battle, fine. Don't let players save while IN battle. But being able to save before fighting the boss? Nice game designers give you an autosave just before you start that boss battle. Those guys obviously hate save points that aren't near the boss as well. ;)