PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection

Gary
15-11-2004, 10:06:49
Anyone have any ideas on the possible cause of the following ?

My home PC connects to the Internet on a BT Basic broadband connection.

However it isnít that rare to come back to the PC (it is often left connected) to find there's a problem. And of course, like most of these things where there is a number of different elements itís not always clear where the problem arises.

Although the PC still seems to be connected to the Internet, in fact every page fetch fails. Refresh a page youíre looking at and you get the standard ďunavailableĒ error page.

But prior to that, The free Zone Alarm icon, bottom right, showed activity in both directions. Itís as if it is connected, but isnít getting owt.

I disconnection and reconnection doesnít always work. Iíve failed to keep note as to whether it ever has, but it certainly didnít this morning, having been ďconnectedĒ all night.

I need to restart the PC before itíll get back on properly again.

I also had this problem when the other PC was connected, which implies either a common fault, or more likely a fault elsewhere.

I borrowed my brotherís modem and it seemed to improve, but Iím wondering now if that was an illusion since Iím still using his modem, and it is still occurring. I might have had a coincidental lull in the hassle.

And he wants his modem back so I wouldnít have the option soon anyway.

I guess what Iím wondering is why it is happening and what to do to stop it. Of course I can switch the PC off every time I leave it, but Iíd rather have the option not to, by solving the problem.

Any suggestions ?

Not last edited by Gary at all, as the typos could not possibly exist.

Nav
15-11-2004, 18:06:54
None whatsoever.

Darkstar
15-11-2004, 19:40:25
Sounds like your provider. It's something they sometimes do to keep their costs down... turning off "non-human" or low-traffic connections. After all, when you get back home and finally want to use it, you'll reboot your modem.

Check with your provider on how often they refresh your IP address, and go through their support. They might turn you onto some setting that will help keep your connection "alive".

Good luck.

zmama
15-11-2004, 20:21:38
It happens with my provider too. Though I'm thinking it has something to do with windows and the sleep mode. I don't fuss, a simple reboot is all it takes.

Gary
15-11-2004, 20:57:01
Like I said, it needs a reboot of the PC rather than just taking the connnection down and back up (although I've not tried actually disconnecting and reconnecting the modem).

But this is a major pain. I could easily want stuff to happen when I'm not actually attending. For example, suppose I want to bid on an item and won't be around near the end of the auction, so I set up an app to bid for me. If BT screw up the line it'll fail.

I might write a letter of complaint, since broadband is supposed to be 24/7. But my suspicion is I'd get a load of waffle about if having to be my PC or modem or software or something.

Thanks for the repies anyway.

PS anyone know a good broadband line "keeper up" app ?

The Bursar
15-11-2004, 21:19:33
Connect to an IRC channel, or a webpage that updates itself every now and again. That should keep the traffic flow going and stop you getting kicked.

I had a problem similar to this with AOL, except that I would get dropped offline every 12 minutes, regardless of activity, and needed a reboot. Needless to say, we got rid of AOL pretty quickly after that.

Darkstar
15-11-2004, 21:25:42
Have you tried rebooting your modem (power off and on)? I'm curious... if that fixes it, its definately something they are doing, and not your config.

zmama
15-11-2004, 21:32:07
It doesn't work rebooting the modem for me...I tried that first. It has to be a reboot of windows.

And for me it only happens if the computer goes to sleep...I could always set it to not do that , but rebooting doesn't bug me

zmama
15-11-2004, 21:39:48
And the other computer on the network will still have full connectivity. Thats why I think its a windows thingee.

Darkstar
15-11-2004, 21:52:38
What happens if you issue an "ipconfig /renew"? Does it start working again?

Humm... does your computer still see your hub/modem when you wake it up? What's "ipconfig /all" say when it wakes up? Sounds like your sleep might not be retesting/re-leasing its IP from your hub correctly when you wake it up.

I dimly recall reading something about Windoze computers not recognizing your local LAN/hub when resuming from sleep. Have you looked through the MS knowledge base to see what option needs changing?

zmama
15-11-2004, 22:09:56
No I have'nt...but I will.

I just got the dsl a few days ago and since then have had many plumbing problems(have to put in new toilet, subfloor, flooring :( ) and haven't tried to screw around much with the settings or knowledge base. I'll get around to the computer stuff after I've rebuilt my bathroom.

Darkstar
15-11-2004, 22:11:27
Ah. Yes, definately bathroom first. Don't want it flooding your computer equipment. ;)

zmama
15-11-2004, 22:14:43
Exactly!!!

I'm just wasting time here because I don't want to go in there and rip up the old floor right now...I'd rather just bullshit for some reason

Darkstar
15-11-2004, 22:19:00
Procrastenator! :D

zmama
15-11-2004, 22:55:29
Its up and in bags for the trashman....sigh.
But I did manage to get the wireless network up too so the day ain't all bad :)

Gary
16-11-2004, 07:16:15
A BT Voyager 1000 has no power switch, nor other control, so I can't reboot it directly.

It stayed up last night so can't check anything more this time. It is random anway. May not go down again for a week, may do so tonight * shrug *

Darkstar
17-11-2004, 02:16:04
You cannot unplug the power? That's how most modem cables are "rebooted". Unplug the power. Then plug it up. Tech support often proscribes that to "fix the problem". Well, that and rebooting your machine. ;)

Gary
17-11-2004, 09:36:39
No, not as such. There are 2 cables only, one goes to the telephone socket (via a splitter), the other to the PC. No doubt one or other supplies the power, but that would be in addition to the data, I guess.

Aredhran
17-11-2004, 17:59:16
Good guess; it's most likely a USB modem. You can try to unplug the USB cable and put it back in, but sometimes that could cause more trouble than rebooting the PC.

Gary
18-11-2004, 10:20:18
:) I pulled the blue cable to the PC, that took out the green LEDs.

Was it enough ? No, I still had to "disconnect" (selected from the right click menu of the icon, bottom right) and then reconnect to BT again. But it did avoid a PC reboot !

Now if only there was an ap that'd stop them pulling that trick. Or a website that created just enough activity to stop it.

Aredhran
18-11-2004, 10:23:47
That depends what they consider "activity". A simple ping -t someserver.com might do it. But then again, you might get in trouble for attempting a denial of service attack on that server ;)

Gary
18-11-2004, 21:46:03
ping -t counterglow.com

Pinging counterglow.com [217.160.74.202] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.160.74.202: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=51
Reply from 217.160.74.202: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51
Reply from 217.160.74.202: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=51
Reply from 217.160.74.202: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=51
Reply from 217.160.74.202: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=51
Reply from 217.160.74.202: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=51

Darkstar
18-11-2004, 22:13:52
A lot of providers ignore pings (don't count it as activity).

Some require HTTP activity.

Humm... hey, you could run a time syncher program that runs out every X minutes to reset your clock. That would let you set how often your machine is active.

Or, just leave your email up and running, checking for email every X minutes. Humm... do you do that already?

Gary
18-11-2004, 22:57:35
The email thing probably won't work ? The only one I have is a free one from a site that I have to visit. None of this POP or whatever stuff that Outlook can use.

So anyone got a recommended time sync ap ? :)

Darkstar
19-11-2004, 00:12:27
Dimension4. :D

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm

I have been using their time syncher for years.

Gary
19-11-2004, 08:18:33
Thanks --- but something curious.

It seems to have installed, but I can see nothing running. Where's the screen shots I saw at the site ? And the firewall has not asked if this should be allowed to access the Net. Is that normal ?

No time now, will have to check whatever later.

Darkstar
19-11-2004, 17:48:18
No clue about the new version. I'm still running version 4.3. I won't install the new version until I build a new machine.

Your firewall may already allow activity on the Time port.

Additionally, it may be in run once (minimized) and exit mode... so starting it up, you get a small icon in your system tray, and it goes away in like 15 seconds. I don't recall the installation's default settings. Check out the readme and configuration.