PDA

View Full Version : Remember when game developers used to host their demos on their own sites?

TV4Fun
13-11-2004, 05:46:48
Instead of making you wade through a sea of third party download sites, most of which want you to make an account with them before you download anything, and many of which want you to pay to not have to wait in line for hours just to start the fucking thing? Is it too much to ask that I just be able to download a free file without paying through the nose or waiting in queues or trying to figure out their inane login schemes or providing three pints of blood and wondering if their server feels like sending all of its several dozen required verification emails or having to download a new browser just to get the damn download to work? Really, how much trouble is it for a developer to put up a download server and put their files on there without doing any of this stupid bullshit that all the hosting sites do? These people spend millions of dollars developing their games, they can't spend a few thousand to put up a decent web server? And while we're on the subject of budgets, how much does it cost to put a printed manual with a game? I pay $50 for a game to get a plain jewel case in an otherwise completely empty cardboard box. Then I install the game and they give me a nice PDF file with all the formatting and everything in it that I have to read off my computer screen and use my mouse to turn the page cause they were too cheap to invest in a printing press, and then they have the audacity to suggest that I print the thing out on my own printer with my own 50 pages of paper and my own ink so that I can have this crappy low quality monochrome printout of something they should've included in proper form with the game in the first place! And why are they putting them in these tiny boxes? Are they really so hard up for funds that they can't afford the couple extra cents for a decent sized box? Has out market become so crowded with stupid mass-market barbie games that the only way they can fit in the good games is to put them into these tiny little boxes? And what happened to nudity in games? Games used to have nudity all the time and it was no big deal. They'd get an M rating and put it on the shelf. Now the publishers won't put in a single nipple cause they're afraid that Wal-Mart won't carry it when they put in all the gory blood and guts that the current technolody can produce without batting an eye. Games were so much better in my day, you could download the demo off the developer's FTP site without a fuss, when you bought it it came in a full size box, and there was nudity all over the place!! What's happened to today's gaming industry? They've become so commercial, they've forgotten where they came from. They're not out to make good games anymore, they're out to make games that'll sell. Creativity has died and the almighty dollar reigns supreme. I'd play my old games but I can't get any of them to run on Windows XP.[/tangent]

Deacon
13-11-2004, 07:39:14
I actually like the small boxes.

I can't remember buying any games that didn't at least have a short manual. I guess there WAS Alpha Centuari for Linux, but the manual was left out because Loki ran out of money.

I think computer games have always been unsexy. I don't remember buying any games that had much nudity besides Duke Nukem 3D. There was definitely sex in the older Sierra games like Conquests Of The Longbow and Codename: Iceman, though it was implied. IIRC, in Codename: Iceman, Westland kisses his date three times, and then the player literally sees fireworks. :)

The market is crowded, and I've seen what I consider some of the better titles and companies get sunk, but that's the nature of the business.

Venom
13-11-2004, 18:38:31
Agree totally with the demo download bullshit. It's being extended to patches as well. That shit pisses me off. I'm also pissed off at having agreed with TV4Fun.

Chris
13-11-2004, 18:41:07
I never get that pissed off.

zmama
13-11-2004, 18:48:42
Venom enjoys it

TV4Fun
15-11-2004, 05:30:57
Leisure suit larry uncut has been released with an AO rating. That's one positive sign. Good luck buying it anywhere though.

Beta1
15-11-2004, 09:38:59
Originally posted by TV4Fun
Instead of making you wade through a sea of third party download sites, most of which want you to make an account with them before you download anything, and many of which want you to pay to not have to wait in line for hours just to start the fucking thing? Is it too much to ask that I just be able to download a free file without paying through the nose or waiting in queues or trying to figure out their inane login schemes or providing three pints of blood and wondering if their server feels like sending all of its several dozen required verification emails or having to download a new browser just to get the damn download to work? Really, how much trouble is it for a developer to put up a download server and put their files on there without doing any of this stupid bullshit that all the hosting sites do? These people spend millions of dollars developing their games, they can't spend a few thousand to put up a decent web server? And while we're on the subject of budgets, how much does it cost to put a printed manual with a game? I pay $50 for a game to get a plain jewel case in an otherwise completely empty cardboard box. Then I install the game and they give me a nice PDF file with all the formatting and everything in it that I have to read off my computer screen and use my mouse to turn the page cause they were too cheap to invest in a printing press, and then they have the audacity to suggest that I print the thing out on my own printer with my own 50 pages of paper and my own ink so that I can have this crappy low quality monochrome printout of something they should've included in proper form with the game in the first place! And why are they putting them in these tiny boxes? Are they really so hard up for funds that they can't afford the couple extra cents for a decent sized box? Has out market become so crowded with stupid mass-market barbie games that the only way they can fit in the good games is to put them into these tiny little boxes? And what happened to nudity in games? Games used to have nudity all the time and it was no big deal. They'd get an M rating and put it on the shelf. Now the publishers won't put in a single nipple cause they're afraid that Wal-Mart won't carry it when they put in all the gory blood and guts that the current technolody can produce without batting an eye. Games were so much better in my day, you could download the demo off the developer's FTP site without a fuss, when you bought it it came in a full size box, and there was nudity all over the place!! What's happened to today's gaming industry? They've become so commercial, they've forgotten where they came from. They're not out to make good games anymore, they're out to make games that'll sell. Creativity has died and the almighty dollar reigns supreme. I'd play my old games but I can't get any of them to run on Windows XP.[/tangent]

summary?

MDA
15-11-2004, 13:43:40
Leisure Suit Larry allegedly sucks donkey balls. It'll rip the hearts out of the old series fans.

The download thing is a pain in the ass. I see no clear reason for it, either. Don't care about packaging, and I've heard all about the "paper manuals get written before the game is in beta" problems.

TV4Fun
15-11-2004, 16:34:44
Originally posted by Beta1
summary? Mirrors suck, pdf manuals suck, tiny game boxes suck, censorship sucks, most of today's games suck, the game industry sucks.

notyoueither
04-12-2004, 09:46:26
This is a public service bump.