PDA

View Full Version : Remember when games used to offer different install sizes?

TV4Fun
09-11-2004, 04:58:37
The Sims 2. Special DVD edition. Everything it needs on one disk. No need for swapping. Requires 2804.40 MB of my hard drive space. No choice. My hard drive is not big enough to copy all that many complete DVDs onto it. It might be nice if developers would give the option of running some part of the game from the DVD. Especially when it still wants you to have the fucking thing in the drive to run because the devolpers are paranoid about people copying it when everyone's got DVD burners anyway and there are plenty of free programs available which will very quickly defeat whatever stupid copy protection they have and in any case it takes about 2 years to download anything over a filesharing network anyway!!! Please, developers. My bootleg copy of partition magic is getting way too much use. I have far too many different filesystems on my hard drive to try to fit all these gigabytes of game files on it when I've got a perfectly good 16x DVD-ROM drive just sitting there idle. I would like to install The Sims 2 without waiting hours for my hard drive to repartition.[/new rule]

TV4Fun
09-11-2004, 05:03:02
Oh yeah, my hard drive is full because I just installed FS2004 on it. Also did not give a choice about what it installed, though it came on 4 CDs instead of one DVD, so I had a lot more swapping to do. By the way, everyone and his brother now has a DVD drive. You can stop putting games on CDs!!!. It's annoying. CDs are way slower than DVDs even when they're running really fast. Go to the DVD, the DVD is good. Even if there are a few people in the world left without DVD-ROM drives, they can buy them for less than the cost of one game. Developers, publishers, please please please please, get with it and realize nobody will be put out by releasing a game on DVD, and nobody over the age of 7 was ever stopped by any copy protection in existance.

Darkstar
09-11-2004, 11:14:26
I've been amused over how many game install programs offer you the choice of "one size" only. Why bother?

Nav
09-11-2004, 11:25:18
because after all that development they can't be arsed to cut out that option in the install maker program.

TV4Fun
09-11-2004, 17:53:53
The install maker is usually made by someone else and offers them very few options about how to organize it. Like any of these guys actually know enough about programming to write an installer program.

protein
09-11-2004, 18:46:12
That's an absurd amount of space.

I though the point of DVD games was that you can keep shitloads of information on the disk. That's how playstation2 games work isn't it?

Darkstar
09-11-2004, 20:49:29
But the point of moving it to the HD is to make for faster access. The point to burning the game on an DVD is to cheapen the price of manufacturing the game, and give the customer the minor bonus of not having to bother with swapping CDs.

Chris
09-11-2004, 20:54:52
Swapping CDs is a pain with the newer games that have three and four CDs to install.

I'd rather have it on one DVD.

Darkstar
09-11-2004, 23:30:41
Very true. I agree. If I get a choice between multi-CD and DVD, then I pick the DVD version. Just cause I hate swapping... plus, it makes me feel like it was worthwhile getting a DVD capable drive. ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-11-2004, 03:53:17
I don't have a DVD drive, and I'm a PC-savvy tech guy. I've never needed one.

However, I'd still support moving games to DVD discs, I wouldn't mind having to get one, they're damn cheap.

Chris
10-11-2004, 20:25:13
The newer games are going that way Qaj, its cheaper for game companies to make a DVD than three-four CDs.

Resource Consumer
12-11-2004, 15:07:07
My Sims2 came on 4 CDs - would have preferred the DVD too

TV4Fun
12-11-2004, 16:07:04
Should've shopped around. Most of the places I saw had both.