PDA

View Full Version : dumbass question

protein
30-10-2004, 14:42:00
Is it possible to add another processor to my pc or link two pcs together to become one better one?

When I run a large amount of tracks with alot of effects I run out of cpu power and it's quite annoying. I can still run loads of tracks and effects but it always runs out just as I get to the finishing touches of a track and I have to make cutbacks.

I've hear that on a dual processor pc you can assign 100 of one of the processors to Pro Tools. At the moment my limit is 85%, as the rest is needed for graphics/system etc.

zmama
30-10-2004, 16:23:19
Yes, you can run dual processors. You'd need a new motherboard that could handle them

Asher
30-10-2004, 18:21:07
You also need processors thatr can handle them.

I doubt you have some capable of it.

You need Xeon or Opteron processors, not Pentium 4 or Athlon. Xeons and Opterons are fancy versions of Pentium 4s and Athlons, designed primarily for workstation use like you have. And you can build 8-processor systems if you want. ;)

DevilsH@lo
31-10-2004, 07:34:42
Or you could even go the Athlon MP route, or you could go the Athlon XP route, connect a link and save yourself about 200 quid.

I've got a dual athlon XP (modded) system at home and to be honest protein under XP and using most commercial packages it isn't really worth it. The technology to multi thread (Share tasks between processors) hasn't been built into a lot of software, i think adobe do it with photoshop when you are manipulating big files, it would be worth checking the programmes you want to run first to see if they support multi threading before you splash out on a dual system.
I would stick to a single processor at the highest speed you can afford. Your welcome to bring your software over and install it to see if it improves the speed any but i doubt it will.

At best it will share complete processes out between processors so you will get an apparent hike there, but only really usefull if you have lots of applications running at once and want them all to run at best speed possible.

DevilsH@lo
31-10-2004, 07:38:23
As an aside, P4`s with hyperthreading technology can mimic a dual processor environment when using multithread compatible software, if you do a quick google search on either hyper or multithread software you'll find loads of info on the differences and the performance gains.

Have a read of these mate

http://www.slcentral.com/articles/01/6/multithreading/

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/hyperthreading.ars

No longer Trippin
31-10-2004, 18:59:08
He'll have to buy a new XP core if he has one, and the week 43 on up laminate on it will STRIP the traces off ALL the bridges in the area unless one is very careful - and make new trace routing impossible as it'll pull the solder that sinks into the trace ends out making for a dead contact. Old XP's were easy to mod, the new ones, even experienced hands screw them up. That is why you don't hear too much about XP's going SMD for free much even before the A64/Opteron boom. A lot of VERY carefull exacto knifing is needed along with a trace pin and some tape as the extra laminate on the sides makes using a lead pencil for connecting the traces a bitch.

How about upgrading or overclocking the processor, a lot cheaper and easier long as the board supports it.

If your going to buy a P4, you may as well get an A64 as even with hyperthreading, the new A64's do beat or run even with P4's in encoding and such and beat them silly elsewhere. Also if you go the P4 route, know that they have officially ended the product line, there will be no 4 GHz P4 (so no upgradability) and that to take advantage of hyperthreading, you really need a program written for it. The manual of Pro Tools should say.

protein
01-11-2004, 00:46:25
Pro tools doesn't support hyperthreading apparently. I've looked into it and it seems that my P4 is infact the second best to Athelon 64(??) in tests. I've managed to run 30 tracks with four standard plug ins on each track for a minute. That's actually rather good.

I'm considering getting a UAD-1 card to take some of the plug in processing power away from the main processor but I think that's kind of a music techie subject rather than a techie subject.

zmama
01-11-2004, 01:10:03
How much RAM do you have? Can you add more?

protein
01-11-2004, 01:12:45
I have a gig. I can add more but I think it's a pure processing power thing. I think I'm just being greedy. I have a world class recording set up but I still want more tracks, more effects, more flashing lights...

No longer Trippin
01-11-2004, 18:30:20
What CPU is in it right now? Your processor may really be a bottleneck in itself right now, that is why I'm asking.

protein
01-11-2004, 23:30:48
# Motherboard 1 x AGP Pro / 6 x PCI Slots / 6 x USB 2 Ports / 4 x Channel ATA-100 IDE / 2 x ATA-150 Serial / Dual DDR Ram Support Max 4Gb
# Chipset Intel Springdale 865PE-L
# Processor Intel Pentium 4 - 3.2 GHz 1Mb Level 1 Cache [Prescot] 800 MHz FSB
# Memory 1Gb PC 3200 Non-Registered DDR 400 MHz
# Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 120 Gb Serial ATA-[150] 7200 RPM Ultra Quiet IDE

No longer Trippin
03-11-2004, 06:28:54
Your pretty much sitting on a high priced and still well performing system... at most I'd look into a card as upgrading the CPU will require a socket change at the least and probably won't give you as great of gains, especially in terms of quality, that an add-in card will provide.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-11-2004, 03:59:05
Get one of these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040830_092016.html

Funkodrom
10-11-2004, 08:52:03
Yeah, that's a great machine you wanker. I want one. :cry: