PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 2 Article

Funkodrom
19-11-2001, 12:45:33
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/15/technology/circuits/15ROLE.html?ex=1013662800&en=f8a86fe055024822&ei=5002&partner=INTUIT

I stole this from MDA's thread on ACOL. Great article. :D

King_Ghidra
19-11-2001, 13:35:08
nice article
i've been tempted once or twice by the diablo phenomenon
Phantasy Star Online is basically a similar premise:
walk around, kill the monsters, pick up their stuff, go shopping, level up, do it again.
Sounds crap, but it was absolutely wicked and i loved it.
I think the addictive quality of these things is that they're always rewarding. You WILL get something cool and new if you keep playing. It's quite an incentive. And you do get attached to your character. :o
Maybe i should give diablo a go...

Funkodrom
19-11-2001, 13:48:58
I think you would like it. Everyone I know who plays it loves it.

C.G.B. Spender
19-11-2001, 17:22:06
D2 is simple and stupid (aka hack'n'slay), but addictive. I spent a long time playing it. I still play it sometimes.

Resource Consumer
19-11-2001, 19:08:50
Originally posted by MikeH
I think you would like it. Everyone I know who plays it loves it.

That's only because I hated it so much that I don't play it any more.

Funkodrom
19-11-2001, 21:47:06
Maybe you could send it to King G. :-)

Shining1
20-11-2001, 01:32:21
Everyone who plays Diablo2 also hates it:). There are enough imbalances and crap things in it to really get on your nerves.

It's all worth it to complete the Irathia's Finery set, though...:cool:

C.G.B. Spender
20-11-2001, 06:58:34
Should we form a CG D2 party?

Resource Consumer
20-11-2001, 10:07:21
Only if I am not invited.

C.G.B. Spender
20-11-2001, 14:54:32
u r a gay twat

Resource Consumer
20-11-2001, 16:33:37
Yeah, but at least I don't play Diablo 2.

C.G.B. Spender
20-11-2001, 16:45:18
that's "don't even"

MDA
20-11-2001, 16:49:29
Well, that looks familiar.:)

Resource Consumer
20-11-2001, 16:53:22
Originally posted by C.G.B. Spender
that's "don't even"

I still have RSI from when I did.

MDA
20-11-2001, 16:58:48
Its a pleasantly stupid game, I'm enjoying it tremendously, even in SP(shut up, penguin!).

I don't play it for intellectual stimulation.

Randomizing maps is interesting - saves them time designing levels and I suppose that makes it *slightly* more replayable. Most of the fun is in getting new barbarian howls and cooler equipment. Anyone want to give me some cool recipes for the magic box thingy I found in Act2? 3 chipped make one flawed gem, but that's the only one I know other than the ones given to me in the game. will 3 flawed upgrade?

Lv16 Barbarian, Act2 Quest 2 - finding the staff pieces.

I'm caught up enough to play MP with friends, but I'm worried about living in US East and playing MP on a game hosted in US
West - I've had little TROUBLE with lag, but have noticed a few monsters teleporting about after a momentary freeze. I imagine that could kill you quick in a boss battle.

I'm hoping the fact that none of us is a necro or sorc will cut down on lag.

I'm thinking of starting up on US East and playing with random people, but I'd hate to build a good character and have it killed/robbed.

C.G.B. Spender
20-11-2001, 23:23:10
I used to play SP but now that I got my flatrate I usually play MP as SP game - I simply get better items but I hate all these teens annying me with their chitchat. However, we might find enough people to form a D2 party. I guess it would be quite funny ...

Shining1
21-11-2001, 00:10:31
www.battle.net/diablo2exp has all the information on everything you need, MDA:)

Rachel and I are playing with level 25 or so characters at the moment... what does everyone else have?

C.G.B. Spender
21-11-2001, 07:13:05
I got a level 12 character, but I would start a new one ...

Mightytree
22-11-2001, 02:44:37
I've got 2 lvl80+ sorcs, a lvl50+ amazon, a lvl50+ assassin, a lvl30+ barb and a lvl30+ necro in LoD, plus a lvl76 barb, a lvl50 amazon and a lvl33 sorc in D2 Classic. All USEast hardcore.

:smoke:

Shining1
23-11-2001, 07:09:38
Some useful new stuff I learned in the last few days.

* Auto targeting

If a character has a melee combat skill on their Right Mousekey slot, then you can just hold down the right mouse key and run around, and the character will automatically attack any monsters when they come within range.

This is incredibly useful, both because it's much easier, and it's better when under heavy lag online. Since it's automatic, your character will automatically move from one target to the next when they die, even if you get periods of dead lag.

* Bump up the difficulty.

Typing 'players X' in single/open play will increase the number of players in the game w.r.t the way that Diablo2 calculates monster XPs and toughness. You can more or less play through all of act I with a Barbarian with the game set to players 8. It takes slightly longer, since you spend more swings per monster, but you get much higher levels in the same time.

LadyRachel
23-11-2001, 11:49:40
Playing through some of act 5 with my CB Sorc today, I was surprised to find that the reanimated horde (http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act5-reanimatedhorde.shtml) undead critters reminded me strongly of Shakey when he's just woken up in the morning. Mainly in the speed of their movements, but also if you listen closely, it sounds like they're saying "more tea..."

Really.

Mightytree
23-11-2001, 12:14:07
* Auto targeting

I didn't know that. That's quite useful.

* Bump up the difficulty.

Before LoD, people on Bnet used to solo a lot in 8ppl games, because party exp wasn't quite the same as it is now in LoD. Partys were only made where it was absolutely necessary (e.g. Chaos Sanctuary, mostly 2 or 3 ppl parties there). That also had the advantage, as we see now, that exp leeching wasn't possible, since party exp was so bad. So all people that had high level characters actually earned those levels and didn't leech them. Shining, so you've never soloed in an 8ppl game? If that's true, I don't find it surprising you don't find the game challenging. I'm not saying the game is hard when you solo 8ppl games but it certainly adds some spice to some situations. Monsters having 8x the HP makes a difference, especially when fighting unique ones.

Shining1
23-11-2001, 23:06:38
More coffee...:)

It's extremely useful:).

Soloing in MP games is fine, soloing in SP games is usually a bit difficult since that's what you're doing anyway. Being able to bump up the difficulty of an SP game is very useful. So you now have the option of getting the much larger XP amounts available to realm and MP players.

Mightytree
23-11-2001, 23:24:00
Yep, that should make playing SP a lot more worthwhile. Getting levels faster boosts motivation big time. And you also get a lot more item drops.

MDA
27-11-2001, 15:06:17
Lv 16 barbarian US West

I could start in US East though.

I thought the zombies were saying "Brainnns!", like in that horror movie with the burning rain that made people into zombies that craved human brains. The rain! It burns! Brainnns!

The Mad Monk
27-11-2001, 17:30:48
They do say that, from time to time.

Try and figure out what the fallen are saying...:)

Here's a new cube recipe: 3 cracked gems and a sword no longer produce a stupid three-socket longsword; they now produce a magic three socket sword of the same type you crafted. There is now a vigorous (but slowing) economy of chipped gems, as players are trying to get three socket cruel colussus blades of alacrity (or similar--you get the idea).

Shining1
28-11-2001, 00:05:06
Yep. New characters on the realms can get a good start trading their chipped gems with higher level characters. Apparently 25000 each is a good price, now;)

The Mad Monk
29-11-2001, 06:53:52
A strange (and depressing) thing happened last night...I was playing one of my druids, who was using a really cool scythe--not much damage, but with cold, 100% monster flee, and reduces monster defense. I was using it to herd critters straight into my spirit wolf pack--which would make short work of the slowed, panicked, low defense targets.

Anyway, I was doing this in Tal Rasha's Tomb, when I suddenly realized it wasn't doing its thing anymore, and when my druid resumed human form, I saw he was using his fists; I figured it was broken, even though I couldn't remember seeing the warning graphic, so I went to Fara to repair it.

When I opened the trading screen, it wasn't there.

I couldn't find it anywhere, and it wasn't ethereal.

Just kinda soured my evening. Anything like this ever happen to you?

Shining1
29-11-2001, 09:41:30
Er - you haven't activated your weapon switch by any chance, have you?

Mightytree
29-11-2001, 10:30:34
Yes, that's happened to me before. Just press 's' and it should be there again. :)

The Mad Monk
29-11-2001, 11:21:08
Nope--first thing I checked, and the broadword and spiked shield were still there, as they've always been.

I heard of this happening before, but always to character's entire inventories, and never when the character in question was online...it's really puzzling...

Mightytree
29-11-2001, 11:29:40
I heard of this happening before, but always to character's entire inventories, and never when the character in question was online...

Yep, people's accounts get hacked and all the equipment stolen. But that's not a bug.

I have no clue what happened to you there then. :confused:

MDA
29-11-2001, 19:18:45
How good are boots with +10% run/walk? Would you keep them over a set with +15% to magical items or a resist?

How important is poison resistance? (I can already tell fire resist is going to become a real issue. Stupid tribal witch doctor's and their fire breath :mad:

(lv22 barb and counting)

C.G.B. Spender
29-11-2001, 20:09:20
tribal witch doctor's I know what you mean. Plus, the jungle levels are so BIG HUGE - the most annoying part

Mightytree
29-11-2001, 20:14:38
Since you're playing a barb, +run/walk isn't too important for you. If you really want +run/walk you still have a skill that boosts that. You should look for boots with +str/+dex/res/+magicfind.

Poison resistance is by far the least important of all res. Forget about it.

MDA
29-11-2001, 21:46:45
Figures, its my highest resist at 36% My others are all under 10.